What's new

Type 055 DDG News & Discussions

None of these ships are armed with those missiles you mentioned. DF-100 is land based and truck mounted, so is DF-17. DF-17 is definitely too big to be launched from ships. DF-100 maybe able to fit on 055 but I doubt it, but definitely not 052D, as its VL tubes are too small for that.

052 is mainly for fleet air defense and ASW duties, and 055 have more surface-to-surface capabilities. It does have its own land-attack missiles, and most likely will be able to launch land attack cruise missiles in the future, whether there will be any hypersonic versions developed for that, it will be interesting to see in the years to come...

I thought 052 and 055 VLS cells are same dimensions. That they are universal.

Long range hypersonic missiles, launched from destroyers, is definately something i can see China working on. Especially the anti-ship versions. It makes sense A2AD wise.

Long range hypersonic missiles, launched from destroyers, is definately something i can see China working on. Especially the anti-ship versions. It makes sense A2AD wise.
They are working on Air, ship, sub, land launched hypersonic ballistic and cruise missiles。

HQ-9B cold launched from 055

FP_mI5wXoAsMtLl.jpg

Yes, 052D and 055 both uses UVLS Ø850mm. That's huge compared with other VLS in the world, good for housing very large missiles or multi-pack cannister. UVLS silos have 3 difference depths: 3m "defence" version shallow but good for multi-pack, 7m "tactical" and 9m "strike".

206139-4d8a0829ca711272769de69b28aed87f.png

While 052D is a standard theater AD destroyer, 055 with powerful 346B battle system is dedicated for mid-course BMD & ASAT, and likely to have more 9m "strike" silos for rockets with extra booster/stage.

Yes, 052D and 055 both uses UVLS Ø850mm. That's huge compared with other VLS in the world, good for housing very large missiles or multi-pack cannister. UVLS silos have 3 difference depths: 3m "defence" version shallow but good for multi-pack, 7m "tactical" and 9m "strike".

View attachment 832945

While 052D is a standard theater AD destroyer, 055 with powerful 346B battle system is dedicated for mid-course BMD & ASAT, and likely to have more 9m "strike" silos for rockets with extra booster/stage.
Do you think the Type 055B will have more VLS cells? More than the current 112 VLS cells?

Possibly increasing to 72 cells forward and 72 cells aft (totaling 144 VLS cells, surpassing the Korean Sejong the Great Class Destroyers in VLS count) to account for carrying these new ASBM missiles, ASCM, Torpedo Missiles, Land Attack cruise missiles, quad pack medium range missiles while retaining independent ability to carry enough long range 460 km range active guided air defense missiles under development (as well as a dedicated ASAT missile) and the current HQ-9B (250 km) missiles in use? A larger ship may also be needed if the Type 1130 are to be moved amidships to make room for a dedicated laser system forward and aft where the current Type 1130 and FL-3000N are placed respectively. Making the need for more VLS even more necessary as the missile count will go down with the removal of the FL-3000N

Even if the cells are larger, the number of long range missiles will be limited if a lot of the cells are taken up by strike missiles. Or does the PLAN always plan to operate the Type 055 with a Type 052D?

Last edited:
Do you think the Type 055B will have more VLS cells? More than the current 112 VLS cells?

Possibly increasing to 72 cells forward and 72 cells aft (totaling 144 VLS cells, surpassing the Korean Sejong the Great Class Destroyers in VLS count) to account for carrying these new ASBM missiles, ASCM, Torpedo Missiles, Land Attack cruise missiles, quad pack medium range missiles while retaining independent ability to carry enough long range 460 km range active guided air defense missiles under development (as well as a dedicated ASAT missile) and the current HQ-9B (250 km) missiles in use? A larger ship may also be needed if the Type 1130 are to be moved amidships to make room for a dedicated laser system forward and aft where the current Type 1130 and FL-3000N are placed respectively. Making the need for more VLS even more necessary as the missile count will go down with the removal of the FL-3000N

Even if the cells are larger, the number of long range missiles will be limited if a lot of the cells are taken up by strike missiles. Or does the PLAN always plan to operate the Type 055 with a Type 052D?
005B will be all-electric destroyer, no more ship spindle needed. It will create more room for weapons, or something else, everything is possible.

Back
Top Bottom