What's new

Turkish Naval Programs

aha ha ha ha! we bought 747 for 500m$ for Erdogans comfort, we can take other 3,5 Boeing 747. again we are broke seriously , that money (less than 2b$ ) is nothing for a Turkey size economy.

I-Class construction begin - Mid 2017

Delivery - Mid 2022

5 years for one ship. This government is a joke. So are our shipyards who can do whatever they wish to do.

Looks like nothing was learned.

4 Ada Class Corvettes - 15+ Years

4 I-Class Frigates - 12+ Years (?)

I have no words for the incompetence shown again and again by politicians and senior military staff in terms of modernization and acquisitions of new hardware and software in this Country. At end those who suffer are the common People. So who cares right ?

F-515 should have been in the waters by now but why would you do that if you can take your sweet time while hostile countries around you are quickly enlargen their fleets with newer ships.

Can’t build a 110m ship in one and a half year instead needs 5 years for it unbelievable. Even if you add the testing phase into those 5 years the build time would still equal 3,5-4 years. What a joke.
5 years not long for this ship.If you want to make true criticizes you should ask why construction began mid 2017 ?

It was known that 1st i-class ship will meet water in 2021 and will be given to navy inventory in 2023. After all , it is a prototype.
There is nothing new and surprise., and no reason to cry and critisize now.. opposite of knowledge ; that tweet says navy will take the ship earlier, 2022..

It is good, not bad..

There is two question that i can ask to ;

We know 2nd, 3rd and 4th ships would be made by private shipyards and that construction would be fast...

but for making this aim real ; the private shipyards' workers and engineeres should have begun to learn the construction methods from navy shipyard. and we dont know yet, who won the bid.. and i guess the bid is late..

Second question in my mind is ; i am feeling that navy waits for çafrad's test end .. may be a light çafrad can be used on i-class.. and may be the construction is paused because of this waiting. if they (aselsan) achieve the light çafrad is for real in a short time, we can see it on i-class.. and it worths to this 1-2 year construction delay.

The main problem is that Turkey wants to produce an indigenous frigate. The TCG Istanbul process will form the infrastructure of the TF-2000 project.

2017, laid down
2019-20 *, planned launch date
start of acceptance tests
2022-23, planned date for active service

Although the first ship of its class, TCG Istanbul is a continuation of the ADA class, it should be considered as a prototype before serial production in terms of system localization.

The design changes that took place while on the slipway unfortunately extended the process. But as a result of the work will be very competent frigates.

Second question in my mind is ; i am feeling that navy waits for çafrad's test end .. may be a light çafrad can be used on i-class.. and may be the construction is paused because of this waiting. if they (aselsan) achieve the light çafrad is for real in a short time, we can see it on i-class.. and it worths to this 1-2 year construction delay.

Also I think Hisar-O variant SAM may be used on this i-class. So all of them can delay this project 1 or 2 year.

I told ya!

it looks like no works are done since 23 April. The ship is exactly in same state in Google Earth photo date 23/04/2018. Any guess?

qqq.png

It was known that 1st i-class ship will meet water in 2021 and will be given to navy inventory in 2023. After all , it is a prototype.
There is nothing new and surprise., and no reason to cry and critisize now.. opposite of knowledge ; that tweet says navy will take the ship earlier, 2022..

It is good, not bad..

There is two question that i can ask to ;

We know 2nd, 3rd and 4th ships would be made by private shipyards and that construction would be fast...

but for making this aim real ; the private shipyards' workers and engineeres should have begun to learn the construction methods from navy shipyard. and we dont know yet, who won the bid.. and i guess the bid is late..

Its not a prototype, there is nothing called as prototype in naval industry (at least for Turkey). First Milgem took years for some reason, it was the first ever large ship designed and built with local supports. I class is differing in these terms. It shares lots of similarity with Ada class, similar sections, similar structure . Design and building capability of the shipyard has already reached to maturization. So what is the issue, here it is :

First I class has been laid before than completion of the design, i dont believe there is a person who can stand against this claim. To elaborate it, it was only a political reason to lay down the keel (ie the basic parts, from middle section which is almost the same of the Ada class.

Building has came to a slow-down when it has reached to the point,where detail design hasnt been finished yet. It isnt the case of the revision while its on the slipway, its simply that the design wasnt finished wholly before than its laid. The reason why its extended to 2022 is more likely the detail design will be finished, entirely, in next year, so comes with 3 - 3.5 years afterwards is the logical duration for building up a frigate.

Also I think Hisar-O variant SAM may be used on this i-class. So all of them can delay this project 1 or 2 year.
You can integrate those after the ship is built.

Its not a prototype, there is nothing called as prototype in naval industry (at least for Turkey). First Milgem took years for some reason, it was the first ever large ship designed and built with local supports. I class is differing in these terms. It shares lots of similarity with Ada class, similar sections, similar structure . Design and building capability of the shipyard has already reached to maturization. So what is the issue, here it is :

First I class has been laid before than completion of the design, i dont believe there is a person who can stand against this claim. To elaborate it, it was only a political reason to lay down the keel (ie the basic parts, from middle section which is almost the same of the Ada class.

Building has came to a slow-down when it has reached to the point,where detail design hasnt been finished yet. It isnt the case of the revision while its on the slipway, its simply that the design wasnt finished wholly before than its laid. The reason why its extended to 2022 is more likely the detail design will be finished, entirely, in next year, so comes with 3 - 3.5 years afterwards is the logical duration for building up a frigate.

You can integrate those after the ship is built.

Then wy did they started building I-class? So when the degisn finished they can build it faster, i assume that the hull is the basis of the ship?

thank you

Ziya has a point. Realistically, Phalanx CIWS are ineffective against supersonic AShMs. A Brahmos missile closes the final 1km distance to the ship in less than 1 second. Even if the Phalanx gets lucky and hits it, the ship will be hit with debris and it will likely be a mission kill. ESSM will also have trouble hitting it because the Brahmos performs terminal evasive maneuvers, and since it goes mach 3, it has the advantage against a missile trying to intercept it at a similar speed, because the intercepting missile can only react in response to the incoming missile's actions. These terminal maneuvers are secret so it's hard to say how effective they would be, but I doubt an ESSM can reliably intercept a Brahmos. And don't forget that a ship will only get about 30 seconds between detection and impact - and that assumes no radar jamming. So it's a dangerous threat. We need laser or railgun CIWS to improve defenses against these types of missiles.

On the contrary, RAM is even less effective against supersonic missiles, hence the preference of ESSM above RAM.
Reaction time of Phalanx against RAM is multiple times better.

ESSM is MACH 4 by the way (RIM-116 of RAM = MACH 2)
Sea ceptor is MACH 3

And you say ESSM cannot intercept a missile that RAM can? I think you should have a closer look to physics.

Last edited:
On the contrary, RAM is even less effective against supersonic missiles, hence the preference of ESSM above RAM.
Reaction time of Phalanx against RAM is multiple times better.

ESSM is MACH 4 by the way (RIM-116 of RAM = MACH 2)
Sea ceptor is MACH 3

And you say ESSM cannot intercept a missile that RAM can? I think you should have a closer look to physics.
ESSM is 3.6 mach maximum,there are missiles with more than 5 mach,and these missiles can get 7-8 mach at last point so problem continous

We can break down the discussion of one common denominator. Incoming missiles will be engaged on three ranges. Long, middle and short ranges. Last one use countermeasures CIWS like Phalanx. Of course, you need luck to hit supersonic missile with CIWS.

on top of this how is Turkey going to deliver 4 x Ada class to Pakistan?

I mean the timeline is 54, 60, 66 and 72 months

but even that seems optimistic consider it took 15 years for Turkish navy

with Istanbul class they are already full

I wonder about this contract will it become another T-129?

good products from Turkey but overall production raises questions

on top of this how is Turkey going to deliver 4 x Ada class to Pakistan?

I mean the timeline is 54, 60, 66 and 72 months

but even that seems optimistic consider it took 15 years for Turkish navy

with Istanbul class they are already full

I wonder about this contract will it become another T-129?

good products from Turkey but overall production raises questions

When it is domestic needs, Local content ratio is priority. About exports, it is business for profit. So Pakistan will gets its ships on time. No doubt.

Back
Top Bottom