What's new

Turkish Engine Programs

We will see 500/750 km range SOM near future...
How can you increase to 500/750km with current shell size (600kg & 4m &250+km)?
US JASSM (at 1t+ & 4.2+m) who is a little bigger than SOM, can get to 370+km max.
Taurus KEPD350 (at 1.4t & 5.2m) and 20% larger, is around 500+km.

So, if they keep current shell size, imo, the only way to get that far, is to increase fuel capacity, but the only way is to reduce to "almost" nothing the warhead size, therefore making it strategically "useless".

How can you increase to 500/750km with current shell size (600kg & 4m &250+km)?
US JASSM (at 1t+ & 4.2+m) who is a little bigger than SOM, can get to 370+km max.
Taurus KEPD350 (at 1.4t & 5.2m) and 20% larger, is around 500+km.

So, if they keep current shell size, imo, the only way to get that far, is to increase fuel capacity, but the only way is to reduce to "almost" nothing the warhead size, therefore making it strategically "useless".

The new engine that mentioned by KALE will the gameplayer. The current SOM missile use France engine, SSM is not interested to develop for the 250km range SOM. They have buy a lot of France engine, so what i remember ther is no need for develop engine for the block 1. In matter of time we will see SOM with at least 500 km range.

The new engine that mentioned by KALE will the gameplayer. The current SOM missile use France engine, SSM is not interested to develop for the 250km range SOM. They have buy a lot of France engine, so what i remember ther is no need for develop engine for the block 1. In matter of time we will see SOM with at least 500 km range.
KALE 3500 do not surpass Western counterpart that much, to justify an increase of 250+ km range with same Shell/Fuel Capacity of SOM.

Take a look at the French Scalp EG
At 5.1m and 1.3t (way bigger than SOM)
Powered by a TRI60-30 who is better than KALE3500 in all aspect.
Got a 400-500+km max range.

imo, the only way will be to increase the shell size.( therefore increasing Fuel capacity)

KALE 3500 do not surpass Western counterpart that much, to justify an increase of 250+ km range with same Shell/Fuel Capacity of SOM.

Take a look at the French Scalp EG
At 5.1m and 1.3t (way bigger than SOM)
Powered by a TRI60-30 who is better than KALE3500 in all aspect.
Got a 400-500+km max range.

imo, the only way will be to increase the shell size.( therefore increasing Fuel capacity)

I think ther is a slice differences between our vision about the missile, the next SOM missile will be larger then the current. I didn't mentioned with the new engine, i think the new engine will be used larger variant of the missile.

I think ther is a slice differences between our vision about the missile, the next SOM missile will be larger then the current. I didn't mentioned with the new engine, i think the new engine will be used larger variant of the missile.
If there is another version of "SOM" (being bigger) then it could be possible.
But, they were no report of such new version in the timeline...or I didn't see it.

There will be engine change in our cruise missiles. They are seen as too slow and military wants more range. We will not be using current engine types in the next cruise missiles.

Important to have an indigenous Engine is the Ability to increase the Range and also for Exports abroad.

Important to have an indigenous Engine is the Ability to increase the Range and also for Exports abroad.

You cannot really export it if the range is over 300km, but does it apply to cruise missiles?
I believe thats why so far they say its som is 300km, but it could be bigger and as Greece has Scalp, for sure Turkey also work on it..

Well, changing the engine would affect the range somehow. But does it make sense to talk about fuel efficiency and range in the same tense when you talk about missiles ?

If there is another version of "SOM" (being bigger) then it could be possible.
But, they were no report of such new version in the timeline...or I didn't see it.

the plan was longer range SOM...

We are planning to start 500 km (270 nmi) range tests this year. Later the range will be extended to 1,500 km (810 nmi) and finally to 2,500 km (1,300 nmi) in 2014", he said.[12][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOM_(missile)

This fuking engines of SOM are made in france.
Screenshot_2018-03-31-14-51-41.png

the plan was longer range SOM...

We are planning to start 500 km (270 nmi) range tests this year. Later the range will be extended to 1,500 km (810 nmi) and finally to 2,500 km (1,300 nmi) in 2014", he said.[12][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOM_(missile)
Well...That's a bit confusing...
Wasn't GEZGIN the one dev for such range?

@cabatli_53 Any more info on this?
Is it the SOM cruise missile (With current shell size) that will go to1500- 2500km? or Are they speaking about "Cruise missile family" in general, with the like of GEZGIN etc...

Because, I'm pretty sure you can't get to those range, with Current SOM B shell size.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom