What's new

Turkey’s STM offers FAC-55 missile boat to Pakistan

I find one thing in this FAC that defies logic. Why not use VLS than retractable AShM box launchers. Less complex and more modular.

I also had similar question in mind when saw the picture of FAC.

@Sinan can any Turkish knowledgeable member shed some light on this.

As i have said previously, bot Azmat and FAC-55 are actually more in the light corvette range (given their 560t size and armaments) than FACs, though the FAC-55 is very fast.

As for why not vls instead of retractable boxes, this is a 560t vessel. It has a low draught amd is designed to move quickly. The means the box can lay horizontally/diagonally and not need a larger draught. The vls boxes require a minimum of 3.5m of hight for a small self protection module like sylver A35 (this can only fit small SAMs like VT1) or 5.2m self protection module of mk 41. Large AShM like C802 require nearly 5-7m tactical or strike modules like 6.7m tactical mk41 or 5m Sylver A50 or 7m A70. These wont fit in a vessel like Azmat or FAC-55. THE best most cost-effective way is the retractable box.

Last edited:
@Neptune This is your area of expertise. :)

@spectribution

If Pakistan chooses a Turkish platform that would mean that either of the two missiles will be used: Atmaca or Harpoon. Both are close to 4 meters in length. Boat will be bigger and its shape will destabilize its speed which is why its a class of boat on its own. Secondly placing at least 4 missiles in one VLS cube will also make changes on the center of weight. Even for bigger ships like guided missile destroyers, unless there's a specific purpose, I find no reason to adopt anti-ship missiles into vertical launch mechanisms.

As i have said previously, bot Azmat and FAC-55 are actually more in the light corvette range (given their 560t size and armaments) than FACs, though the FAC-55 is very fast.

As for why not vls instead of retractable boxes, this is a 560t vessel. It has a low draught amd is designed to move quickly. The means the box can lay horizontally/diagonally and not need a larger draught. The vls boxes require a minimum of 3.5m of hight for a small self protection module like sylver A35 (this can only fit small SAMs like VT1) or 5.2m self protection module of mk 41. Large AShM like C802 require nearly 5-7m tactical or strike modules like 6.7m tactical mk41 or 5m Sylver A50 or 7m A70. These wont fit in a vessel like Azmat or FAC-55. THE best most cost-effective way is the retractable box.
@spectribution

If Pakistan chooses a Turkish platform that would mean that either of the two missiles will be used: Atmaca or Harpoon. Both are close to 4 meters in length. Boat will be bigger and its shape will destabilize its speed which is why its a class of boat on its own. Secondly placing at least 4 missiles in one VLS cube will also make changes on the center of weight. Even for bigger ships like guided missile destroyers, unless there's a specific purpose, I find no reason to adopt anti-ship missiles into vertical launch mechanisms.

Thanks for clearing the doubt why not using VLS instead of Box. I hope PN will choice this FAC.
I have I query can we use other air defense system other the RAM?

@spectribution

ok now give it to us :mad:

Milgem II will probably be acquired.

If Milgem-II is acquired then it would consider as Frigate or you are considering Milgem-II as corvette as latter bath of Milgem are designated as I(Istanbul ) class frigate . should Pakistan consider STM's FAC-55 For PN's FAC requirement or Milgem will fill that place ?

Thanks for clearing the doubt why not using VLS instead of Box. I hope PN will choice this FAC.
I have I query can we use other air defense system other the RAM?

I dont see any reason why FL3000N (chinese ram equivalent) couldn't be used. A 18- 24cell launcher should be able to fit of FAC-55.

If Milgem-II is acquired then it would consider as Frigate or you are considering Milgem-II as corvette as latter bath of Milgem are designated as I(Istanbul ) class frigate . should Pakistan consider STM's FAC-55 For PN's FAC requirement or Milgem will fill that place ?
These are semantics, but MILGEM-G would be considered a frigate (it would be roughly the size of F-22P). It would not fulfill the FAC requirements. Need more Azmat or FAC-55 or Type 022 catamarans for this. Even MRTP33 Would be good. Personally tbough FAC-55 and Azmat i think of as light corvettes. But they will be good for the FAC requirements.

I think we have three different tenders for such ships right now under the Patrol Boat Category.
• New Generation Fast Patrol Boat Project (8 ships, for the protection of DZKK naval installations)

• New Generation Turkish Type Attack Craft Project (4+8 ships)

• New Type Special Operations-craft for SAT (IDK if it is a replacement for the ones they have or if they want bigger ships. 2 vessels).

My choice would be:

D98MRv.jpg

But if the rumors are true, I mean RMK's proposal to install a smaller version of CAFRAD complex on its mass, it would be the unconditional choice in my opinion. Because in this project I assume DZKK wants do deal with Aegean with relevantly even smaller ships with the firepower Ada-class corvettes. For the region we need compact, fast, small ships with high firepower supported by long range sensors. Navy wants SMART-S Mk2 like long range radar. I think they certainly want to increase the situational awareness of the Air Force in the region by using naval power.

What is the name of this ship ?

Considering we already have the Fast Attack Azmat class ships , with 6-9 Missiles aquiring a FAC-55 would be redundant task , for now Milgem program should be priority the FAC-55 could peraps be considered in case Navy feels they need a option for light Fast attack craft category

The design of the FAC-55 appears quite interesting and modern
maxresdefault.jpg

Milgem first however

PNS+AZMAT+Fast+Attack+Craft+%2528Missile%2529+Launched+SR60+radar+FAC+1031ee+8+C802A345+NAVY++%25282%2529.jpg

The Azmat Fast Attack Ship is doing quite well in Pakistan Navy a comparable design

The FAC-55 platform would be nice to investigate type of platform with 4 ships just to see how it will improve the Coastal Defence with Azmat Class Ships

Last edited:
What is the name of this ship ?

There are no given designations as of yet. Hence the expression, it is called New Type Fast Patrol Boat.
However there are specifications.

Length: 67m
Crew: 36 personnel
Propulsion: COGAG (1x 25k kW and 4x 4,2k kW)
Speed: 28 knots (maximum speed 55-60kn)
Range: 800 nm

Armament: 40mm stabilized naval gun, two 12.7mm RCWS, RIM-116 RAM (Block II if selected), and along with EO/IR sensors and 3D radar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom