What's new

Turkey shows interest in JF-17 Thunder

Turkey will only be happy if and when China shakes hand with it.

Guys anything is possible. At first I also wondered why on Earth a country producing F-16s would be buying JF-17s... But then i realized that Thunder is no more a project where PAF was eyeing a decant 4th generation combat A/C .. It is turning a really good and reliable advanced multirole jet. If Block-II gets an AESA coupled with good ECM suit, there is no reason even advanced country would be looking into it due to attractive price compared to latest F-16s.

Turkey and Pakistan joint hand together for avionics EW suit etc development for next block would not be bad even they don't buy it .

Guys anything is possible. At first I also wondered why on Earth a country producing F-16s would be buying JF-17s... But then i realized that Thunder is no more a project where PAF was eyeing a decant 4th generation combat A/C .. It is turning a really good and reliable advanced multirole jet. If Block-II gets an AESA coupled with good ECM suit, there is no reason even advanced country would be looking into it due to attractive price compared to latest F-16s.

JF-17 will be attractive for price compare to f-16 . because F-16 is mature platform where JF-17 is wholly new .
we can not compare a old man and a young boy though he is showing huge potential .

Feasibility is another factor where they might not consider it. They do like the plane especially after Izmir. Block 2 will be a bigger possibility but it will have to squeeze through their plans to accommodate itself to fly in TuAF colors which seem a little hard to me at least.

turkey f-16s production is at home so its likely they will go for it. but we have to think that turkey wants to become less reliable on western suppliers. it is possible that turkey buys airframes and experiment on its own avionics on jf-17.
100 jf-17 would cost same as 25 f-16s..this would really depend upon how their relationship swing with US

Well Turkey was known to be in talks with South Korea for the F/A-50 project(which converts their advanced trainer into a lightweight fighter). It was reported in the Turkish media that the Koreans weren't offering more than 20% of the project's share to the Turks, due to which Turkey started talks with Sweden to develop the JAS-39 Gripen further.

Both these aircraft(JAS-39 and F/A-50) are comparable with the JFT so this could be a real option for Turkey. If we analyze these options from Turkey's perspective, F/A-50 and JAS-39 Gripen are more advanced than the JFT in the current form. Both of these have American avionics, engines, missiles, though Chinese tech is catching up it's still not superior to US tech. However, Turkey has also seen it's F-35 participation being used to coerce Turkey to make up with Israel, and their leadership definitely wants to maintain some independance from the US.

It's also important to keep in mind that US spying hardware was discovered in sealed F-16 components(that Turkey isn't allowed to open/modify without voiding contracts) after an F-16 crashed, and that's another reason to move away from having everything be US-dependant.

I think the critical component in Turkey going for the JFT is, how far this aircraft moves ahead in future Block-2/3/JF-17 NG variants. PAF officials have previously talked about how, even before Izmir, Turkish officials very warmly welcomed them and showed great interest in the aircraft. I remember an interview from Farnborrough where the PAF official talked about the level of interest in Turkey, and how presentations were scheduled to be made on the way back from Farnborrough during their stay at Turkey.

Given Turkey's differences with Israel, spending billions on either of their other options(Korean F/A-50 or JAS-39 Gripen) seems a little risky - who knows what kill-switches they embed in US avionics, if Turkey faces aggression from Israel again.

Old article but there is not much Turkish opinion.

Turkey initiated it's own program TF/X
TFX (Turkey) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tai-tfx-fighter.jpg

F4s will be replaced by F-35s
F16s will be replaced by TF/X

Old article but there is not much Turkish opinion.

Turkey initiated it's own program TF/X
TFX (Turkey) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tai-tfx-fighter.jpg

F4s will be replaced by F-35s
F16s will be replaced by TF/X

Hey sinan bro, so is Turkey going forward with this project? Cuz last time, Erdogan cancelled the meeting about this project..so there were confusion as to Turkey will go ahead with this project or not..

What is the status now? Did Erdogan met with high level officials and gave a "go" to this project?

Details will be appreciated.

If Turkey inducts its own fifth-generation fighter, along with F-35s, and LPD/LHD in the navy by 2025-2030, Turkey will undoubtedly become the strongest military power in Mediterranean region...

Hey sinan bro, so is Turkey going forward with this project? Cuz last time, Erdogan cancelled the meeting about this project..so there were confusion as to Turkey will go ahead with this project or not..

What is the status now? Did Erdogan met with high level officials and gave a "go" to this project?

Details will be appreciated.

If Turkey inducts its own fifth-generation fighter, along with F-35s, and LPD/LHD in the navy by 2025-2030, Turkey will undoubtedly become the strongest military power in Mediterranean region...

Mate, we believe this project will proceed. Last SSIK meeting has been canceled due to graft probe at the time. ....ın the next meeting officials will select 1 of the 3 types of plane.

Again we believe, TF/X is going to be an air-superiorty fighter. Turkish AirForce and TAI officials visited installations of PW, GE and Eurojet. I think we will use 2 GE-135(32000lbx2) for the TF/X.

But nothing is clear at the moment, we will have to wait for the next meeting ( date of the next meeting is unknown)

Hope Turkey built their indigenous stealth fighter so Pakistan may have opportunity to acquire them.

Honestly , I do not think that TAF will buy thunders as they have their own plans in place simply it does not fit their plans.

so, what is the latest on the turkish jet? Is it still in the pipeline. I hope so. For me it hardly matters wether pakistan or turkey make it first. Muslim brotherhood at play!

Nope. Only future plans are F-35 orders (100+16) and the TF-X (awaiting govermental approval to start)

Uff...Falana shows interest, dhimka shows interest and whenever has this interest ever materialized. Dil behlane ke liye khayal acha hai.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom