What's new

Turkey rethinking its place in the world

xenia

Reaction score
Turkey's foreign policy
Is Turkey turning?
Turkey is rethinking its place in the world
Jun 10th 2010 | ankara

AT THE end of December 2008 Israel unleashed “Operation Cast Lead”, its bombing campaign against Gaza. Its aim was to counter rocket attacks on Israel by Hamas, which controls Gaza. Three weeks later some 1,400 Palestinians had died. “I personally warned Ehud Barak [Israel’s defence minister] that we would react very seriously if Israel did anything in Gaza,” recalls Ali Babacan, then Turkish foreign minister and now deputy prime minister.

The Gaza war proved to be a turning point in Turkey’s relations with Israel. A day before Israel attacked, Turkish intermediaries felt they were on the verge of clinching a peace deal between Israel and Syria. “The Israelis misled us,” fumes a Turkish diplomat. Turkey’s fury became public soon afterwards, when Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the prime minister, stormed off a panel he was sharing with the Israeli president, Shimon Peres, at the Davos World Economic Forum. “You Israelis know how to kill,” he shouted.

In Turkish eyes Israel proved Mr Erdogan right on May 31st when its commandos raided the Mavi Marmara, a Turkish ship leading a civilian flotilla trying to carry aid to Gaza past Israel’s blockade. Nine Turks were killed in the attack. Israel claims it acted in self-defence. It also accuses the organiser of the flotilla, a Turkish charity known as IHH, of being a front for global jihadists. Turkey denies this and has called for a public apology from Israel and a UN-led investigation. Unless Israel agrees, the Turks may sever diplomatic ties altogether.

Some Western countries attribute the apparent eastward realignment of Turkish foreign policy in recent years to the Islamist roots of Mr Erdogan’s ruling Justice and Development (AK) party. This week’s Turkish vote in the UN Security Council against sanctions on Iran for its nuclear programme have reinforced this view. Some fear the West has “lost” Turkey (a view echoed this week by Robert Gates, the American defence secretary, who blamed the European Union for not doing more to encourage Turkish membership).

The Mavi Marmara incident is seen as further proof of such a Turkish shift. Critics claim Turkey could have done more to stop the flotilla. Turkey’s protests that it could not interfere with an initiative of a non-governmental organisation ring hollow. The authorities have often cited “security concerns” to stop Kurdish campaigners (and Turkish troops harass stone-throwing Kurdish youths as much as the Israelis do Palestinians). As for AK’s claims that it was not involved, what about the presence of Murat Mercan, an AK deputy, on board an earlier land convoy to Gaza?

For the past 90 years Turkey has in fact neglected the Arab lands of the former Ottoman empire and focused on the West. Turkey concentrated on joining NATO, which it achieved in 1952, and, more recently, trying to get into the EU. This is why Turkey forged such strong ties with Israel. For the secular Turkish elite, friendship with the Jewish state was an antidote to Islamist radicalism. Security ties with Israel, crowned by a military co-operation agreement, also proved useful in Turkey’s fight against Kurdish PKK militants. Squeezed between Turkey and Israel, Syria had to boot out the PKK leader, Abdullah Ocalan, who now languishes in a Turkish jail.

Turkish foreign policy may be becoming more assertive, yet EU membership remains the priority. Mr Erdogan secured the opening of membership talks in October 2005, and they continue, if fitfully. The AK government has done more than all its predecessors to reform Turkey. As EU-inspired reforms kick in, Turkey’s meddlesome generals have come to matter less. And in place of the old Turkish complaint about living in a bad neighbourhood has come a new policy of “zero problems with the neighbours”, masterminded by the foreign minister, Ahmet Davutoglu.

Mr Davutoglu likes to insist that this policy chimes perfectly with Western goals. This is clearly true in Iraq. America and Turkey both want the place to remain stable as American troops begin to pull out. Mr Davutoglu has played a key role (and, incidentally, blunted Iranian influence) in forging alliances between Shia and Sunni factions. He has also courted Turkey’s former foes, the Iraqi Kurds.

Elsewhere, however, Turkey is at odds with America, and not only over Israel. Iran was a sore point even before this week’s UN vote. Turkey depends heavily on Iranian gas, and fears that any conflict with Iran might ripple widely. “We are no longer puppets,” declares Mehmet Simsek, Turkey’s finance minister. Better relations with neighbours have opened up markets for Turkish goods. A strong economy amid the global financial crisis (the OECD reckons GDP will grow by almost 7% this year) underpins a new confidence.

There is another element to Turkey’s new foreign policy. Apparent rejection by the EU and the American occupation of Iraq have left Turks in a resentful mood. Mr Erdogan is wary of providing ammunition to Turkey’s (admittedly marginal) Islamist radicals by appearing to pander further to the West. Indeed, Mr Erdogan’s fierce anti-Israeli rhetoric may be partly calculated to counter the appeal of Saadet, an overtly Islamist party that accuses AK of “enriching” its members at the expense of “the cause.”

On Israel, though, the government may have gone too far. Even Fethullah Gulen, Turkey’s most influential Muslim cleric, has lambasted the flotilla organisers. Mr Erdogan’s fiery support for Hamas and his salvos against Israeli “state terrorism” may encourage the radicals rather than appease them. During the recent protests against Israel some demonstrators brandished posters of Hitler, which hardly makes Turkey seem an attractive prospect for the EU.

What next? For all its bluster, the government seems reluctant to sink relations with Israel altogether. A UN-sponsored commission on the flotilla incident could perhaps buy time (see article). Mr Babacan argues that relations with Israel will “never be the same”. Yet the cost to Turkey of cutting ties with Israel would be high. Many Western diplomats argue that it was a mistake for the Turks to get so closely involved in efforts to lift Israel’s blockade of Gaza. It may go down well in the Arab street, where Mr Erdogan is now a hero, but Turkey is not about to be able to solve the Israel-Palestine problem on its own.

The prevailing wisdom in AK is that its activism in the region makes it more valuable to the EU. As for America, the hope is that because it needs Turkey in Iraq and Afghanistan, it will put up with a spot of bother. Israel and Iran will severely test these theories.

The Economist Newspaper | Europe

Turkey's foreign policy: Is Turkey turning? | The Economist

Now the west and Europeans will realize that they have been taking Turkish alliance for granted for too long.

Recent moves will surely make Europeans think again about EU and turkey.How they rejected such an important player.

Now the west and Europeans will realize that they have been taking Turkish alliance for granted for too long.

Recent moves will surely make Europeans think again about EU and turkey.How they rejected such an important player.
n u know what..they ll get even harder because of recent pro-islamic tendencies..but good for ME for sometime atleast...

n u know what..they ll get even harder because of recent pro-islamic tendencies..but good for ME for sometime atleast...

ya well you are right.Oh well the way EU gave memberships to small former communist states just to undermine Russian Influence and rejected 1000 times better turkey showed they were never interested in admitting turkey in the first place.

After all not only is turkey Islamic but it is not some small country with a small economy.Its 75 million population is comparable to the population of big 3 in EU.It's Navy is 3rd largest in NATO behind US and UK and ahead of France and Germany.Air force is also quite sizable and if i am not wrong is in TOP 5 in NATO.

I maybe wrong but in my opinion rejection of turkey was not only due to Islam but also due to the fact that big 3 of Europe and especially Germany and French are frightened.

They are afraid that if they had admitted turkey it would jeopardize the North Atlantic dominance of EU.

ya well you are right.Oh well the way EU gave memberships to small former communist states just to undermine Russian Influence and rejected 1000 times better turkey showed they were never interested in admitting turkey in the first place.

After all not only is turkey Islamic but it is not some small country with a small economy.Its 75 million population is comparable to the population of big 3 in EU.It's Navy is 3rd largest in NATO behind US and UK and ahead of France and Germany.Air force is also quite sizable and if i am not wrong is in TOP 5 in NATO.

I maybe wrong but in my opinion rejection of turkey was not only due to Islam but also due to the fact that big 3 of Europe and especially Germany and French are frightened.

They are afraid that if they had admitted turkey it would jeopardize the North Atlantic dominance of EU.
but in that case turkey woud have been part of EU plus as NATO member, its not very plausible..n islamic tendencies do hava a role in this rejection..

but in that case turkey woud have been part of EU plus as NATO member, its not very plausible..n islamic tendencies do hava a role in this rejection..

yup i absolutely agree that Islam was the main reason of rejection.

But my POV is that in addition to Islam western European countries are simply afraid of Turkish Size.

You see no eastern EU member can compete with turkey in overall population,economy and military.All the main core decision of EU are taken by Western Europeans.If they added turkey to this equation it could had undermined their own influence in EU.

Of Course this is what i think.I maybe wrong.

^agree:tup:
europeans fear turkey since the time of Ottoman plus they ll have to give trade concessions to turkey under EU rules which ll furthr boost turkish economy..

Our Air Force is 3rd in NATO in terms of total aircraft. Behind U.S. and U.K. and above France (4th place).

Honestly they just don't want us. They keep setting the bar higher and higher in standards where we have even surpassed some of the countries already in the Union. Then when we decide to enhance our ME ties they start to become worried (This could also be something the AKP is going for too).

Just yesterday i watched Wolf Blitzer interview a U.S. U.N. Representative (forgot her name). He asked her if Turkey should be punished for voting against the U.N. Sanctions on Iran and also asked if we should leave NATO because of it.(Also kept repeating NATO ally alot :rofl:) Then again that could be the Zionists pumping money into CNN.

Anyway though my point is if they don't want us but at the same time get worried when we do something they don't like. They need to make up their damn mind about our EU membership. U.K. supports it and the U.S. supports it hell even the former Greek PM said he was ok with it. France and Germany need to stop with the BS they are the ones holding us back the most.

Last edited:
^agree:tup:
europeans fear turkey since the time of Ottoman plus they ll have to give trade concessions to turkey under EU rules which ll furthr boost turkish economy..

yes the trade benefits is also an important aspect.

Our Air Force is 3rd in NATO in terms of total aircraft. Behind U.S. and U.K. and above France (4th place).

Honestly they just don't want us. They keep setting the bar higher and higher in standards where we have even surpassed some of the countries already in the Union. Then when we decide to enhance our ME ties they start to become worried (This could also be something the AKP is going for too).

Just yesterday i watched Wolf Blitzer interview a U.S. U.N. Representative (forgot her name). He asked her if Turkey should be punished for voting against the U.N. Sanctions on Iran and also asked if we should leave NATO because of it.(Also kept repeating NATO ally alot :rofl:) Then again that could be the Zionists pumping money into CNN.

Anyway though my point is if they don't want us but at the same time get worried when we do something they don't like. They need to make up their damn mind about our EU membership. U.K. supports it and the U.S. supports it hell even the Greek PM said he was ok with it. France and Germany need to stop with the BS.

Oh man when they say they are worried about turkey it means internally they know the power of turkey but just don't want to admit it.

As far as denial to EU is concerned it is simply because of simply Islam and Turkish size.I mean you guys are not some small fish in Europe that would readily submit to the leadership of Big 3.

I totally agree with you Jigs.

In fact, the ”Turk” has traditionally been the very definition of the “other”.
Europe’s Christians have never regarded Turkey as one of them.
It's not an advantage for the West to loose Turkey imo.

Turkey gets Arab nations’ full support on its stance against Israel’s deadly attack on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla and blockade on the Palestinian territory at a forum in Istanbul. Prime Minister Erdoğan says his country cannot turn blind eye on Israel ‘banditry,’ while rejecting claims that Turkey is shifting away from the West

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, left, and Arab League chief Amr Moussa. AP photo.
Arab nations burst into applause Thursday as Turkey's prime minister walked to the podium at a summit, reflecting Turkey's meteoric rise on the world stage amid disputes over Israel's blockade of Gaza and U.N. sanctions against Iran.

The Turkish-Arab Economic Forum opened with calls for an international investigation into the May 31 Israeli commando raid on aid ships bound for Gaza, a topic emphasized by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Meanwhile, the participant nations condemned Israel in the final declaration of the forum.

"Are we going to remain silent over the murder of nine people? We can't turn a blind eye to this banditry in international waters," Erdoğan told the Turkish-Arab Economic Forum. "From now on, this can't continue as it is."

Arab league chief Amr Moussa also accused Israel continued "atrocity and assault" in violation of human rights and international law and praised Turkey for challenging Israel on the raid that left eight Turkish activists and a Turkish-American teenager dead.

Israel insists its commandoes acted in self-defense after being attacked by pro-Palestinian activists on the aid ships.

Moussa said the nine dead "are our martyrs as well."

Turkey's popularity in the Muslim world has surged as it led the world in condemning Israel for the raid on ships trying to break Israel's blockade of Gaza. Turkey - a non-Arab, predominantly Muslim country - also won favor among Arab allies for objecting to new sanctions against Iran, which the U.N. Security Council passed Wednesday after rejecting an Iranian nuclear fuel swap-deal brokered by Ankara.

"Arms, embargoes and exclusion are not working," Erdoğan said, adding that the world was paying a heavy price as a result of such policies in Iraq and Afghanistan. "There are hundreds of thousands of widows, who will account for this? There are orphans, who will account for this? Those who turn this geography into this (mess) have to be held accountable."

Shift claims nixed

Erdoğan strongly rejected allegations in the West that Turkey was shifting toward the East, describing such claims as "evil intentioned" and attempts to prevent Turkey from establishing relations with the Arab world.

Erdogan stressed Turkey's commitment to its membership bid in the European Union, but at the same time accused the EU countries of not being sincere and raising obstacles. Lebanon's Prime Minister Saad Hariri and other foreign ministers from about 15 other Arab nations also attended the summit.

Hariri said the Middle East was suffering under Israel's "criminal and barbaric" attitude. "We support Turkey's demands not only about the international investigation, but for Israel to apologize," Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit said. "We support Turkey's demand to try those behind these acts."

Turkey also says Israel's partial easing of its Gaza blockade was not enough. At another summit in Istanbul earlier this week, Turkey and 21 Asian countries urged Israel to join the nuclear nonproliferation treaty and place its nuclear capabilities under the safeguards of the International Atomic Agency.

Turkey said Israel should not be left out from any scrutiny of its alleged nuclear arsenal, which Israel has never confirmed, and also said Iran should be able to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

Now What do you guys think?
Was it a good move by Turkey?
From going away from israel.
and look into the muslim world?
People say Turkey has turned their back to usa and eu.
They only turned their back against EU!
Because we worked like dogs.. but didn't got paid by eu membership.

I would love to get a discussion about Turkey.
The politics,The PM,the issues such as palistine-israel.

My opinion is that Turkey will walk the same line as US when it comes to Gaza issues against Israel, while presenting itself as an alternative credible leading nation among the Arab states as opposed to Iran. In short these two points also happens to agree with where America stands, but it is hard to say if Turkey have its own ambitions.

When the time is right Nato membership might be extended yet again to Turkey.

Turkey to draw political clout away from Iran, Israel to strike Iran if they feel threatened.

Then Turkey as a counter block to Israel on palestinian issues.

IMHO only.

Europe will rue the day they spurned Turkey. And Turkey, frankly, is all the better for it. Turkey has historically been a counter to all the powers in Europe put together, and it has that potential even today, especially if it is able to forge middle eastern alliances.

A very interesting perspective on the future of Turkey is captured by George Friedman in his book, "The Next 100 Years". I don't agree with everything, but the perspective is interesting nonetheless. Here's the short synopsis:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like i've said in the other Topic. Turkey was always the "Other" for European Countries. They'd never let us join the EU.
Now, they should not be suprised if Turkey turnes their back against them.

Most Turks would prefer to have an excellent relationship with Israel if only for their nation's economic and strategic interest. Remember that Arabs allied with English against Ottomans in WWI.
f Israel corrects its stance on Turkey and makes appropriate amendments, there is no reason relations should not go back to normal. In that case, this incident be interpreted as a "careless error" of some sort. Erdogan himself is quite a pragmatist but not one without a heart.

Back
Top Bottom