What's new

Tree Plantation Drive Along CPEC

What I found from queries is that main reason is cost. So, the authorities opt for one which are cheap and can grow fast. I am not happy with this criteria and short term mindset.
There are plenty of non fruiting trees which require less water, grows faster and acts as a more efficient carbon sink

BTW, Why we don't plant fruit trees? It will be of dual benefit

Choice of the tree species depends largely on the type of soil, annual rainfall, the general climate of the area and growth rate of the trees. I remember when we needed to plant trees along the ‘khaal’ (irrigation channel to the family farming land in Sargodha)) to stop water seepage. My uncle received advice from a ‘Forestry’ expert. It was suggested to plant two rows of trees on each side of the watering channel about 2 yards (12 ft) apart. Suggested varieties were Tahli (Sheesham), Kikar (Acacia), Bair (Jojoba) and Neem (Azadirachta indica ) & Dhrake (closely related to Neem).

Forests all over the world are used to provide timber (wood for furniture & buildings) and for the pulp used in the paper manufacture. Fast-growing, native species with high productivity are therefore generally recommended. Understand that main variety planted in KPK (1-billion tree drive) are pines, walnuts and eucalyptus.

During my stay at Gov’t College Lahore, students often went to the 'Changa Manga' reserve for picnics where majority of the trees were Sheesham, Kikar & white Mulberry.

Other trees that are commonly found in Punjab are Pine (hilly areas), Safeda (Eucalyptus), Bohr (Bargad), Piple, Toot (mulberry), Kachnar and Jamun. I would, therefore, presume that the same varieties will form the backbone of the new tree plantations.

Fruit trees such as mangoes, oranges, apples, limes etc. are planted everywhere as a part of the fruit farming, but not for the ref-forestation purposes. Similarly, recent Olive plantations are not part of the reforestation drive.

How many trees has the government said they will plant in this 5 year term???

ft469-news_damme.jpg

If we had mini canals which transported water the plantation would thrive greatly

Or Irrigation canal structure distributes water
orange-trees-plantation-with-irrigation-canal-at-in-guadiana-meadows-F4M0P0.jpg

what kind of trees are these ? they should use neem tree.
BTW, Why we don't plant fruit trees? It will be of dual benefit
First three pics are Sufaida (eucalyptus), which is already planted in huge numbers all across motorways.
Takes 20-30 liters of water from soil every day and evaporates it (Some varieties even consume up to 90 liters/day). A very very good choice in country with rapidly decreasing water table.

Not all the fruit trees require first grade soil and a lot of irrigation. Jambolan (jamun), date palm for example.

But at least they should select some less water consuming local varieties.

Choice of the tree species depends largely on the type of soil, annual rainfall, the general climate of the area and growth rate of the trees. I remember when we needed to plant trees along the ‘khaal’ (irrigation channel to the family farming land in Sargodha)) to stop water seepage. My uncle received advice from a ‘Forestry’ expert. It was suggested to plant two rows of trees on each side of the watering channel about 2 yards (12 ft) apart. Suggested varieties were Tahli (Sheesham), Kikar (Acacia), Bair (Jojoba) and Neem (Azadirachta indica ) & Dhrake (closely related to Neem).

Forests all over the world are used to provide timber (wood for furniture & buildings) and for the pulp used in the paper manufacture. Fast-growing, native species with high productivity are therefore generally recommended. Understand that main variety planted in KPK (1-billion tree drive) are pines, walnuts and eucalyptus.

During my stay at Gov’t College Lahore, students often went to the 'Changa Manga' reserve for picnics where majority of the trees were Sheesham, Kikar & white Mulberry.

Other trees that are commonly found in Punjab are Pine (hilly areas), Safeda (Eucalyptus), Bohr (Bargad), Piple, Toot (mulberry), Kachnar and Jamun. I would, therefore, presume that the same varieties will form the backbone of the new tree plantations.

Fruit trees such as mangoes, oranges, apples, limes etc. are planted everywhere as a part of the fruit farming, but not for the ref-forestation purposes. Similarly, recent Olive plantations are not part of the reforestation drive.

Sir, Only tree they have been planting and still planting is Safeda (at-least in Punjab, don't know what KP govt. planted in her drive) - Any tree other than Safeda on road side you will see will be the ones which already existed. Railways have planted trees on some 1-2 km patches on some place along Multan-Lahore track and all are Safeda. At-least, I don't want to see only one kind of tree everywhere.

First three pics are Sufaida (eucalyptus), which is already planted in huge numbers all across motorways.
Takes 20-30 liters of water from soil every day and evaporates it (Some varieties even consume up to 90 liters/day). A very very good choice in country with rapidly decreasing water table.

Not all the fruit trees require first grade soil and a lot of irrigation. Jambolan (jamun), date palm for example.

But at least they should select some less water consuming local varieties.

Yaar, Safeday k elawa kuch lagatay hi nahi.

Sir, Only tree they have been planting and still planting is Safeda (at-least in Punjab, don't know what KP govt. planted in her drive) - Any tree other than Safeda on road side you will see will be the ones which already existed. Railways have planted trees on some 1-2 km patches on some place along Multan-Lahore track and all are Safeda. At-least, I don't want to see only one kind of tree everywhere.
23-24% of billion tree project in KPK consisted of eucalyptus

Fruit tree can also absorb pollution and provide shade, let the people have Nashpati breaks - it will be healthy. Imagine if the billions of planned tree by GoP & Military also provide free fruits to people, birds and animals - it will be more beneficial.
Actually fruit trees need alot of care like fertilizer pesticides to protect form pests and plant diseases without which they can become nursery for initial disease and pest plague after which they reck havoc on farmers

We need trees which are good for our environment whether they are of fruits or not we just need good trees

Undoubtedly Eucalyptus is a very fast growing tree and therefore good for pulp & paper. However, to the best of my understanding Safeda (Eucalyptus) is an extremely thirsty plant and sucks up the groundwater. That is why when I was growing up; most of the village trees were Tahli, Peeple, Kikar & Bair. Of course, if the planted on the marshy soil, it will help in lowering the water table and make the soil fit for cultivation. Maybe that is why it has been chosen.

Personally, in a land with water shortage, I would not go for it. But I am no forestry expert and would accept whatever Forestry experts decide.

Are these genetically modified trees that grown will less water?

If not, these will die without proper irrigation.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom