What's new

Top global luxury brands to open stores in Reliance’s $1b mall the size of 10 football fields for uber-rich Indians Louis Vuitton, Gucci

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Hermes, Cartier among outlets

Mumbai: Indian tycoon Mukesh Ambani is betting a shopping palace within a $1 billion Mumbai business showcase will tap into surging demand for Western luxury goods, installing his Reliance empire as a portal through which most of the biggest brands must pass.
Though still small for a country of its size, India’s luxury market is set to nearly double in size to nearly $5 billion within five years, Euromonitor estimates. Targeting that growth, Reliance is building a mall with dozens of outlets for powerhouse brands from Louis Vuitton to Gucci, documents reviewed by Reuters show.

The ritzy mall, Jio World Plaza, is the centrepiece of Reliance’s bid to lure uber-rich Indians eyeing expensive bags or shoes. Luxury dominance would come on top of its number one position in India’s nearly $900 billion retail market, where it faces intense competition in e-commerce and supermarkets from the likes of Amazon and Walmart.
Three people with direct knowledge of Reliance’s strategy said the push is aimed at leveraging foreign brand partnerships and being ahead of retail rivals in luxury offerings.
The total cost of developing the Jio World Centre - a giant commercial and cultural hub in Mumbai’s Bandra Kurla business district that houses the luxury mall - is upwards of $1 billion, a person with knowledge of the matter said.

“Global brands want to be here (India), Reliance is trying to drive that boom and act as a catalyst,” said a second person with knowledge of Reliance’s strategy.
The sources declined to be identified because they’re not authorised to disclose Reliance’s strategy publicly.
Reliance did not respond to Reuters’ requests for comment.

Floorplan​

The mall, spread across four floors and the size of 10 soccer fields, will come complete with marble floors and golden guardrails, the documents show. After COVID-19 disruptions delayed raw material imports, the mall will likely to open early next year, sources said.
A floorplan in a Reliance document reviewed by Reuters shows some 30 brands as confirmed in recent weeks for the upper ground floor of the mall, including LVMH’s Louis Vuitton, Tiffany and Dior. Also present will be LVMH rival Kering’s Gucci, Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta, along with Versace, Richemont’s Cartier and Hermes.

The document doesn’t disclose financial details, nor whether the brand line-up might be subject to change. None of the brands responded to requests for comment.
The Jio World Plaza outlets represent significant India expansion for many brands. Company websites show, for example, Louis Vuitton has just three stores in India, despite opening its first outlet two decades ago, while Versace has just one.
Louis Vuitton’s outlet in the mall will be its biggest in India at 7,376 square feet, the document shows.
Anarock Property Consultants’ Pankaj Renjhen said India’s luxury market is so small that many foreign brands prefer partnering with Reliance to keep costs in check and capitalise on its grip - and understanding - of India’s retail market.
Euromonitor estimates the size of India’s personal luxury market was $2.6 billion last year, but set to grow 12% a year to reach $4.7 billion by 2026. By comparison, the market in China, where Louis Vuitton has around 60 outlets and Versace 40, will be up to $107 billion by 2026 from $58 billion last year.

Foreign brands for years have been hamstrung by issues including a limited number of stores in India, which “creates a chicken and egg problem,” said Luca Solca, senior luxury goods analyst at Bernstein.

What’s going into Reliance’s new Mumbai mall, the size of 10 football fields​

reliance-mall-696x451.jpg
Left: Artist's impression of Jio World Plaza mall. Right: Louis Vuitton’s outlet in the mall will be its biggest in India at 7,376 square feet. Representational image: iStock.
A giant mall equal to the size of 10 football fields is set to be the new shopping destination for luxury goods in India.

Come 2023, Reliance will open this massive mall – Jio World Plaza mall – in the heart of Mumbai. Marble floors and golden guardrails will welcome visitors to this upscale mall as Mukesh Ambani’s company targets the uber-rich in the country. Besides luxury goods and cafes, the mall will also house a six-screen multiplex cinema.

Mukesh Ambani’s 30-year-old daughter Isha Ambani is closely involved in this project, a report said.

Last month, Reliance opened the 18.5-acre Jio World Centre, built at a cost of $1 billion. In the same complex, the Jio World Plaza mall, spread over four floors, will be located.

30 luxury brands confirmed

According to the Jio World Centre’s website, the mall will be “Mumbai’s newest luxury shopping destination with a curation of iconic fashion, food and entertainment”.

“The centre will also be home to new and innovative culinary concepts including Oberoi 360 and the global culinary sensation, India Accent; a retail precinct with world-class shopping experience and luxury brands,” it added.

A Reuters report said so far 30 brands have been confirmed for the mall.

“A floorplan in a Reliance document reviewed by Reuters shows some 30 brands as confirmed in recent weeks for the upper ground floor of the mall, including LVMH’s Louis Vuitton, Tiffany and Dior. Also present will be LVMH rival Kering’s Gucci, Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta, along with Versace, Richemont’s Cartier and Hermes,” the report said.

The document doesn’t disclose financial details but confirmed that Louis Vuitton’s outlet in the mall will be its biggest in India at 7,376 square feet.

Euromonitor estimates the size of India’s personal luxury market was $2.6 billion last year, but is set to grow 12% a year to reach $4.7 billion by 2026. By comparison, the market in China, where Louis Vuitton has around 60 outlets and Versace 40, will be up to $107 billion by 2026 from $58 billion last year, the report said.

As per the document, the Mumbai mall is the Ambanis’ first attempt to bring non-partner, high-wattage luxury brands together with existing partners for local sales like Tiffany and Bottega Veneta. Around half the luxury floor’s brands will be Reliance partners.

‘Image booster’ for Reliance

Luxury executives see the mall as a show of strength in a long-game bet for Reliance that is much more than a vanity project for Isha and the Ambani family, even though it won’t be a money-spinner anytime soon. Isha has been closely involved in conceptualising the new mall, including how Reliance pitched the highly sensitive placement of rival brands next to each other, sources told Reuters.

Four Indian brands – in which Reliance invested in recent months with plans to take them global – will be the only domestic names on the luxury floor of the mall, the report said.

“The mall will act as a great image booster for Reliance. It appears they want to convey: ‘You can’t think of India without thinking of Reliance’,” Abhay Gupta, CEO of Indian consultancy Luxury Connect, which advises several global brands, was quoted as saying in the report.

Jio World Centre has been envisioned by Nita Ambani, Director, Reliance Industries and Founder-Chairperson of Reliance Foundation.

She said, “Jio World Centre is a tribute to our glorious nation and a reflection of the aspirations of New India. From the largest conventions to cultural experiences to pathbreaking retail and dining facilities, Jio World Centre is envisioned as Mumbai’s new landmark, a point where we come together to script the next chapter of India’s growth story.”

Jio World Centre’s “ahead-of-its-curve building has been developed with an international design vocabulary while honouring the culture and spirit of India”, Reliance said.

“It is a pioneer in technology and digital innovation and offers exceptional experiences such as India’s first 5G enabled digital infrastructure with uninterrupted data, virtual and hybrid events and unparalleled online cultural experiences,” according to the centre’s porta

@INDIAPOSITIVE is the building under construction or complete? Coz there’s a Jio building in BKC under construction already, is that the mall? From 2:34 onwards.

This is as atrocious and shameless like some Indian TV and film celebrities holidaying in Maldives in 2020 and posting their pictures on Instagram while migrant workers in Bombay and other Indian cities were finding it difficult to get food everyday and were being helped by some responsible celebrities for food and for the workers to go back to their home villages and towns because they thought they would be socio-economically secure in surviving there instead of in the work cities. Also to mention Indians dying left, right and center of COVID because of lack of money to purchase oxygen and medicines.

This is the effect of Capitalism, a few people spending 1.5 lakh rupees on a luxury handbag or a men's watch while most people have to survive on daily or monthly wage slavery / hand-to-mouth existence. Why should only a few have right to obtain so-called quality goods and services on the basis of an artificial construct called money and the rest will never in their life be able to access these ? And this luxury shopping palace being built by Mukesh Ambani is not surprising given his two-billion-dollar ugly 27-storey "house" for a family of four in Bombay which is a city where 42 percent of the population lives in slums and there will be many such slums within a kilometer or two of his house. The Bhakts on this thread salivating over this obscene luxury shopping mall should stop their bhakti and reconfigure their ideals.

Last edited:
This is as atrocious and shameless like some Indian TV and film celebrities holidaying in Maldives in 2020 and posting their pictures on Instagram while migrant workers in Bombay and other Indian cities were finding it difficult to get food everyday and were being helped by some responsible celebrities for food and for the workers to go back to their home villages and towns because they thought they would be socio-economically secure in surviving there instead of in the work cities. Also to mention Indians dying left, right and center of COVID because of lack of money to purchase oxygen and medicines.

This is the effect of Capitalism, a few people spending 1.5 lakh rupees on a luxury handbag or a men's watch while most people have to survive on daily or monthly wage slavery / hand-to-mouth existence. And this luxury shopping palace being built by Mukesh Ambani is not surprising given his two-billion-dollar ugly 27-storey "house" for a family of four in Bombay which is a city where 42 percent of the population lives in slums and there will be many such slums within a kilometer or two of his house. The Bhakts on this thread salivating over this obscene luxury shopping mall should stop their bhakti and reconfigure their ideals.

You do not get to decide how people, whether poor, middle class, rich or ultra rich spend their money. WTF is wrong with you commies ? :cuckoo:

Unka paisa, unki marzi, tumhey kya problem hai ?

Just to be clear, I don't think I'll be doing much (or any, really lol) shopping there either.. but might visit sometime and check in for a nice meal at a good restaurant... and I don't feel entitled to a single paisa of billionaire Mukesh's billions.. what makes you think you are ?

Sour grapes, jealousy, anger, coveting others' wealth, a false sense of moral superiority... all because you can't buy your woman a 150000 handbag or get yourself a fancy expensive watch ?

Change your attitude, bro.. or at least make peace with the FACT that India will never ever be a communist country. You should consider moving to the DPRK, Venezuela or some such paradise.. wahin khush rahoge !

You do not get to decide how people, whether poor, middle class, rich or ultra rich spend their money. WTF is wrong with you commies ? :cuckoo:

Unka paisa, unki marzi, tumhey kya problem hai ?

Just to be clear, I don't think I'll be doing much (or any, really lol) shopping there either.. but might visit sometime and check in for a nice meal at a good restaurant... and I don't feel entitled to a single paisa of billionaire Mukesh's billions.. what makes you think you are ?

Sour grapes, jealousy, anger, coveting others' wealth, a false sense of moral superiority... all because you can't buy your woman a 150000 handbag or get yourself a fancy expensive watch ?

Change your attitude, bro.. or at least make peace with the FACT that India will never ever be a communist country. You should consider moving to the DPRK, Venezuela or some such paradise.. wahin khush rahoge !

What is "unka paisa unki marzi" when the system of money itself is artificial and is not generated but circulated within society to have value ? I just now edited this in my previous post : "Why should only a few have right to obtain so-called quality goods and services on the basis of an artificial construct called money and the rest will never in their life be able to access these ?". You yourself accepted that you as a middle-class-poverty person won't be able to purchase the goods in this mall, didn't you question why some useless Infosys management person will be able to shop there and you not, didn't this strike you as injustice ? But if you do not speak up for your own rights then you are misguided and not being a contributing component in humanity, so it is you who has to change his attitude. As for that cliched statement about Communists wanting to distribute the "wealth of society" please read this post of mine.

Lastly, it didn't seem to strike you even with my mentioning of Indians dying of COVID because of lack of money.

Last edited:
What is "unka paisa unki marzi" when the system of money itself is artificial and is not generated but circulated within society to have value ? I just now edited this in my previous post : "Why should only a few have right to obtain so-called quality goods and services on the basis of an artificial construct called money and the rest will never in their life be able to access these ?"
It's far from artificial.. forget your quality or luxury goods, even the chaat waala wont give you plate of aloo papdi or golgappas if you don't pay him aka help him generate money, the boss won't pay me if I never show up for work.. and so on.. not that tough a concept to grasp, really.

You yourself accepted that you as a middle-class-poverty person won't be able to purchase the goods in this mall, didn't you question why some useless Infosys management person will be able to shop there and you not, didn't this strike you as injustice ?
I'm middle class but not poverty, thankfully... just that I'd rather get a Royal Enfield Interceptor than a watch for the same money.. tujhe ghadi khareedni hai mehengi waali, tu ghadi khareed.. tera paisa teri marzi, mera paisa, I decide how and where I spend it.

True but, I don't have the money to buy a corporate jet or yacht etc.. far from, neither can I afford a place like Mukesh Ambani's antilla house.. I don't begrudge the rich who actually can afford stuff like that.. good for them, I say. There is no "injustice" if I can't afford the things guys like that can.

But if you do not speak up for your own rights then you are misguided and not being a contributing component in humanity, so it is you who has to change his attitude.
I do NOT have any right on anyone's wealth and money.. your stuff belongs to you, my stuff belongs to me, Ambani's stuff belongs to him.

Nobody is stopping you from going around doing as much charity as you can but.. jao, niklo sadkon pe apna maal baant te huye.. aapka maal... aapki marzi :partay:

As for that cliched statement about Communists wanting to distribute the "wealth of society" please read this post of mine.

No, I know enough about your ideology to not have to waste time reading your delusional ideas.. it's a FAILED system, bro.. FAILED everywhere on earth.

Go to DPRK, best wishes.

Lastly, it didn't seem to strike you even with my mentioning of Indians dying of COVID because of lack of money.
A lot of people, including rich ones died from the bug.

Mera kya kasoor hai isme, mainey thodi maara unko.. na rich ko mara na poor ko maara.

Tu bhai, sach mein, apni mansik kamar pe kam bojh uthaya kar.. apna sambhal, baakiyon to khud ki fikr karney de.. BC poori dunia ka kya theka le baitha hua hai ? :lol:

This is the effect of Capitalism, a few people spending 1.5 lakh rupees on a luxury handbag or a men's watch while most people have to survive on daily or monthly wage slavery / hand-to-mouth existence. Why should only a few have right to obtain so-called quality goods and services on the basis of an artificial construct called money and the rest will never in their life be able to access these ? And this luxury shopping palace being built by Mukesh Ambani is not surprising given his two-billion-dollar ugly 27-storey "house" for a family of four in Bombay which is a city where 42 percent of the population lives in slums and there will be many such slums within a kilometer or two of his house. The Bhakts on this thread salivating over this obscene luxury shopping mall should stop their bhakti and reconfigure their ideals.
You know money is not well earned when one has no idea on how to spend it.

It's far from artificial.. forget your quality or luxury goods, even the chaat waala wont give you plate of aloo papdi or golgappas if you don't pay him aka help him generate money, the boss won't pay me if I never show up for work.. and so on.. not that tough a concept to grasp, really.

The story of money and its corruption

There was a time when money was invented and before that your friendly neighborhood chaat waala would give you a plate of aloo papdi or golgappas in direct exchange for a weight of grain or a dozen eggs or vegetables or shoes through the system of barter. Perhaps you would have worked for a boss who paid you in weekly food and clothing materials by taking from his own farmlands or his sources for barter. But this became inconvenient because it wasn't always that the chaat waala wanted shoes so they thought up of a medium to exchange goods where the value of the medium during transaction could vary depending on the type of the goods like 10 value for a plate of your aloo papdi and 45 value for a pair of shoes. That medium for transactions, for exchange of goods and services where the value could vary during the time of transaction was money and to represent money physical means were used like shells, things that were easily available.

But then politics for socio-economics started where the local feudal or monarch instituted a treasury where the money shells were hoarded and then distributed out to a few people who were the feudal's or monarch's close supporters and these supporters then could obtain the society's goods and services to a greater extent than other citizens because those few had more money and the rest had less. The rulers doling out the money to their close supporters were the first Modi, Shah, Ambani and Adani. If there was a people's insurrection against the four and the people went back to barter system then the money system would collapse because it was artificial. The bird didn't eat the fruit by paying two money shells to the tree nor did the cat pay four money shells to someone to grab a mouse but many people paid each other money shells. Money was human-made and artificial.

Using their political power Modi and Shah kept the bulk of the money shells and created an ecosystem where every goods and service was available only by paying the money shells. If you wanted a house pay the shells, if you wanted wheat pay shells, if you wanted to see the doctor pay the shells. To keep the people subdued Modi and Shah created a wage slavery slavery system where the treasury's stock of shells was dipped into every month and some extract to pay the wages of the people, enough to allow the people to circulate the shells through the rulers' socio-economic system where the people's monthly needs are met at the cost of stretching out the shells but not enough shells for the people to access all those goods and services easily obtained by Modi and Shah's friends Ambani and Adani.

A plague hit the city and many people took ill and were crying for oxygen and medicine. Modi and Shah had not built hospitals and instead had been busy building palaces and statues. Since even life in the city had to be maintained by paying the money shells and since the people's money shells were meager after having spent most of them on monthly expenses and since hospitals were very few and since Modi and Shah had enabled creation of moral corruption regarding money, some crooks among the people took advantage of the plague and convinced less rich versions of Ambani and Adani to buy up oxygen and medicine either locally or from abroad and then these crooks sold or were booked up to sell oxygen and medicine outside the official channels of the power-hungry and money-for-self-circulating Modi and Shah. But the plague did not listen to the prayers of those people who bought oxygen machines and medicines for their homes, and Modi and Shah had not built proper hospitals to care for the plagued people. Millions died. But Modi, Shah, Ambani and Adani who were protected by their military and personal doctors were not afflicted by the plague and did not care for the millions who died. The millions were a statistic. Some of the other millions in the city continued to suffer Modi, Shah, Ambani and Adani because these four had been chosen after all by the people.

@Goenitz @Indos, you will be interested in the socio-economics words I have written above.

@Mentee

@fitpOsitive, do read the lengthy post.

@Bilal9 @Joe Shearer

I'm middle class but not poverty, thankfully... just that I'd rather get a Royal Enfield Interceptor than a watch for the same money.. tujhe ghadi khareedni hai mehengi waali, tu ghadi khareed.. tera paisa teri marzi, mera paisa, I decide how and where I spend it.

The motorcycle which by itself is an anti-harmony vehicle and on top of that your particular vehicle is noisy by being made that way in the factory itself, that vehicle costs 3.1 lakhs. Now since you say you are middle class but not poor can you lend or gift your friend 20 lakhs for him to start a company ?

True but, I don't have the money to buy a corporate jet or yacht etc.. far from, neither can I afford a place like Mukesh Ambani's antilla house.. I don't begrudge the rich who actually can afford stuff like that.. good for them, I say. There is no "injustice" if I can't afford the things guys like that can.

So you are okay with dying without setting foot in a yacht while Ambani and Adani can tomorrow morning and the day after and the day after ?

No, I know enough about your ideology to not have to waste time reading your delusional ideas.. it's a FAILED system, bro.. FAILED everywhere on earth.

Go to DPRK, best wishes.

Ah, "Go to DPRK" but not make India a DPRK where housing is provided free by the system and where there is no obscene contrast of an Ambani with a personal 27-storey house made with personal two billion dollars with nearby people who could afford only to buy a slum plot.

A lot of people, including rich ones died from the bug.

Mera kya kasoor hai isme, mainey thodi maara unko.. na rich ko mara na poor ko maara.

Your fault is that you didn't ask the government why it was building Modi a new PM palace while he should have redirected those human, material and financial resources to build a few COVID hospitals and treat COVID sufferers for free.

Tu bhai, sach mein, apni mansik kamar pe kam bojh uthaya kar.. apna sambhal, baakiyon to khud ki fikr karney de.. BC poori dunia ka kya theka le baitha hua hai ? :lol:

If you had lived 25 years ago you would have not said that. From the Japanese Red Army in the East to the FARC in the West they all were / are trying to build a progressive, empathetic and just humanity. Your callousness and snarky words are obscene.

You know money is not well earned when one has no idea on how to spend it.

Wise statement.

How is this a wise statement ? What does it mean in the first place ?

Last edited:
@Sudarshan, you are the epitome of Modi's bhakts - not very intelligent, callous, superficial, unquestioning, unthoughtful etc and hence you leave ha ha reacts to my posts.

@Sudarshan, you are the epitome of Modi's bhakts - not very intelligent, callous, superficial, unquestioning, unthoughtful etc and hence you leave ha ha reacts to my posts.
Get lost commie, don’t tag me further. You’re just an irritant in every thread. Others find solutions to every problem, commies find problems for every solution. Go to North Korea the utopic society and pinnacle of communism.

Get lost commie, don’t tag me further. You’re just an irritant in every thread. Others find solutions to every problem, commies find problems for every solution. Go to North Korea the utopic society and pinnacle of communism.

You didn't read my long post where I had mentioned this "Go to North Korea" thing said to me by Virus. It isn't because of the commies that Indians suicide or die of treatable disease or are homeless or are oppressed or are honor killed or... These things are because of you.

You didn't read my long post where I had mentioned this "Go to North Korea" thing said to me by Virus. It isn't because of the commies that Indians suicide or die of treatable disease or are homeless or are oppressed or are honor killed or... These things are because of you.
I said get lost, preferably to North Korea or other such banana communist miracles.

Back
Top Bottom