What's new

Today Is World Blood Donor Day. Please Go And Donate Blood.

i was very happy when i heard a news that Japanese scientists have invented a needle that will cause very less pain like mosquito bite.but till now i have not seen such kind of needles .hope it will come soon

Dont know about those needles, but nowadays with the tight and advanced strap ons, u wont feel the slightest of pain. today in our college people of ages 55-60, were happily donating blood. 63% of all donars were female. see, girls are smarter and braver than boys. so be brave and donate ur blood this weekend, and help the needy and your body.

well i never donated blood even though i m not scared of any needle or other stuff but really don't know why.

I can proudly say that me and my whole family had donated blood yesterday and every one should do it as it can save some ones life

I really don't understand why people are afraid of donating blood. What exactly are the apprehensions?

I personally donate blood every 2 years or so, though I know I should do it more frequently...

i am o positive! A universal donor. :p donated 9 times in my short 21 years of life span! It gives me heavenly feeling! I am a member of a blood bank organisation and we provide blood to poor at minimal rate. . Even free to some very poor people. we organise blood donation campaign in educational institutes and place of gathering such as book fair.. When i was a student of higher secondary some medical students came to our college to encourage us to donate blood. That time my aim was to be an engineering student. But i was so influenced by those students i changed my mind. . And now i am a part of them.my friends call me ' rokto chosha/ vampire ' and i am proud of it. I don't know about Pakistan and India. . But in Bangladesh there is almost 10lakh bags of blood shortage every year and that is one of the main cause of deaths in hospitals.. So we should all donate blood if we are above 18, 50kg+, not anaemic.. Go to your nearest medical college to donate. theme of this year world blood donor day is - more blood, more life. Let us fulfil the goal.

I can proudly say that me and my whole family had donated blood yesterday and every one should do it as it can save some ones life

I am glad, that you donated Blood. It will give you a psychological boost, give you peace of mind, healthy heart, soul and body & would give the needy a new life. Thanks.:)

I really don't understand why people are afraid of donating blood. What exactly are the apprehensions?

I personally donate blood every 2 years or so, though I know I should do it more frequently...

It's good that you donate blood. You can donate blood 4 times a year, but for a better health donate blood at least once in 6 months.

I'm always worried about the hygiene of the syringe as most of the health officials never bother to change it after being used once.

i am o positive! A universal donor. :p donated 9 times in my short 21 years of life span! It gives me heavenly feeling! I am a member of a blood bank organisation and we provide blood to poor at minimal rate. . Even free to some very poor people. we organise blood donation campaign in educational institutes and place of gathering such as book fair.. When i was a student of higher secondary some medical students came to our college to encourage us to donate blood. That time my aim was to be an engineering student. But i was so influenced by those students i changed my mind. . And now i am a part of them.my friends call me ' rokto chosha/ vampire ' and i am proud of it. I don't know about Pakistan and India. . But in Bangladesh there is almost 10lakh bags of blood shortage every year and that is one of the main cause of deaths in hospitals.. So we should all donate blood if we are above 18, 50kg+, not anaemic.. Go to your nearest medical college to donate. theme of this year world blood donor day is - more blood, more life. Let us fulfil the goal.

The concept of Universal donor and recipient is no longer held by medical science. But yes, having O+ blood group is an advantage. You are doing a fantastic job. Keep it Up. Even in India, we are having extreme shortage of blood units. But the good thing is Indian girls are coming forward in number for the rescue. It is shameful that Indian men are still hiding in their houses.

I'm always worried about the hygiene of the syringe as most of the health officials never bother to change it after being used once.

Nonsense. You should ask them to open the syringe packet in front of you, and then ask them to destroy it after use.

Are you afraid that your barber reuses blades? Then why don't you trust doctors?

But the good thing is Indian girls are coming forward in number for the rescue. It is shameful that Indian men are still hiding in their houses.

Au contraire

Only 6% of blood donors are women

NEW DELHI: Indian women don't believe in donating blood.

According to the first ever data bank on gender distribution of blood donors, India has among the lowest number of female blood donors in the world. Compiled by the World Health Organisation, the data bank says that of the 4.6 million donations in 2008, only 6% donations were by women. The rest 94% were male donors.

There were only 13 countries including India among the 100 countries which reported low percentage – less than 10 -- of women blood donors. In this group of 13 countries, the percentage of female donations ranged from as low as 0 in Somalia to 8.8 in Mali.

An analysis of the WHO data reveals that 70% of all blood donations globally are collected from male donors.

Just 25 countries collect more than 40% of their blood supplies from female donors. They include Australia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Portugal, Republic of Moldova, Swaziland, Thailand, USA and Zimbabwe.

Speaking to TOI, Dr Kabita Chatterjee, head of the blood bank department of AIIMS, said, "There is very low awareness about blood donation in India. People still believe that women will become weak and anaemic if they donate blood. People should know that anybody aged 18-65 years can donate blood. A healthy person can donate blood once every three months."

Meanwhile, the data bank has also looked at the age distribution of blood donors. In India, those in the age group of 18-24 years donated the most amount of blood. Around 53% of all donations were made by those in this age group followed by those in the age group of 25-44 years who made 29% of the donations. Around 19% of the donations were made by those aged 45-65.

WHO said that in richer countries, donors tended to be older (over 44). In low and middle income countries, they were younger (under 25).

Seventy-seven countries provided data on distribution of blood donations by age group. In high income countries, only 27% of donations were from the under-25 age group, while 40% of donations were collected from donors older than 44 years old.

In low and middle-income countries, almost half (45%) of all donations came from people under 25, and 18% from the over-44 age group.

According to the latest data, in 70 countries, voluntary unpaid blood donations rose by more than 10% between 2007 and 2008.

Significantly, India reported the sharpest increase in the number of voluntary unpaid blood donations -- from 3.6 million to 4.6 million – in just one year.

"In 2007, India reported a total 6 million donations of which 3.6 million were voluntary donors and the rest family donations. This increased to 7.4 million donations in 2008 of which 4.6 million were voluntary donations. This is the highest increase in voluntary donations in one year," WHO officials told TOI from Geneva.

The number of countries collecting all their blood supplies from voluntary unpaid donors increased by more than 50% between 2002 and 2008.

"WHO's goal is for all countries to obtain all blood supplies from voluntary unpaid donations by 2020," says Dr Neelam Dhingra, coordinator, Blood Transfusion Safety, WHO.

"Nine years ago, 39 countries were obtaining all their blood supplies from voluntary unpaid donors: in 2008 that figure went up to 62," Dr Dhingra added.

Only 6% of blood donors are women - Times Of India

You gotta be Kidding Me. Blood is not sucked out by A Syringe..! Also, For your Info., In India reusable syringes are a thing of past. It is compulsory to you a plastic use and throw syringe which automatically breaks if you want to use it twice.! And nowadays in Most private and govt. hospitals, Venipuncture is done with evacuated or vacuum tubes not syringes, which can be used only once. And rest assured, when you go out to donate blood, the needle used will be fresh, and it can't be used again, no matter how hard people try.

Back
Top Bottom