What's new

Tipu Sultan

Hey try my query folks- Can anybody explain what connection Tipu Sultan has with the US national anthem?

US? athem I dont think modern us was formed .... back in 1790

But one thing is for sure same time that we were busy fighting for freedom , there was stuff happening on US side as well

Perhaps I need to read more on US history one of these days

Hey try my query folks- Can anybody explain what connection Tipu Sultan has with the US national anthem?

Later at the battle of Srirangapattana (4th Anglo-Mysore war) in April 1799, British forces lead by Colonel Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington) ran away from the battlefield when attacked by rockets and musket fire of Tipu Sultan's army. Unlike contemporary rockets whose combustion chamber was made of wood (bamboo), Tipu's rockets (weighing between 2.2 to 5.5 kg) used iron cylinder casings that allowed greater pressure, thrust and range (1.5 to 2.5 Km). The British were greatly impressed by the Mysorean rockets using iron tubes. At the end of war more then 700 rockets and sub systems of 900 rockets were captured and sent to England.

William Congreve thoroughly examined the Indian specimens to reverse engineer and making its copies that were later used successfully in naval attack on Boulogne (1806), siege of Copenhagen (1807) and also against Fort Washington (New York) during the American Independence War, that is recounted as, rockets' red glare in the U.S. National Anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner."

Ancient indian missile tech & the US national anthem-- the connection, page 1

------------------

It must be wrong since American independence was in 1776 and Tipu used his rockets years later..

Last edited:
President Abdul Kalam in his autobiography, Wings of Fire, says Tipu was revered in America too, and recalls his own experience at NASA. He had been to the Wallops Flight Facility at Wallops Island in East Coast, Virginia, which was a base of NASA's sounding rocket programme, and had seen a painting displayed prominently in the lobby there. It depicted a battle scene with rockets flying in the background. Later, he came to know it was Tipu Sultan's army fighting the British. He writes: "The painting depicted a fact forgotten in Tipu's own country but commemorated here on the other side of the planet. I was happy to see an Indian glorified by NASA as a hero of warfare rocketry."

Tip sultan may be a hero for some. But i think for a malayalee he was a brutal invader. Thanks to the Travancore army who defeated the invader and saved my ancestors from that invader.

Tip sultan may be a hero for some. But i think for a malayalee he was a brutal invader. Thanks to the Travancore army who defeated the invader and saved my ancestors from that invader.

Well , if I had siged treaties with British to allow them to bring weapons in Indian (Pakistan/India/Bangladesh/Afghaistan) ... I think any local person would have been not happy with those traitor territories - Invadors were already docking on india thanks to the so called leaders who invited em , over and signed treaties

I hope to visit Tipu Sahib's grave one day , and lay flowers on his grave, he was visionary that saw british intentions very early on and tried to kick them out ...

And it was not only british there were dutch , portugues and other parties also trying to own territories -

I think you are mis judgeing actions of your Sell out few leaders, who signed and sold all of India to British Raj ... If I lived back then I would also throw a shoe at Nizam who signed treaties with East Indian Company of Englad -

Whole India (Pakistan/India/Bangladesh/Afghaistan) was enslaved due to those traitors who , allowed british ships to dock and bring in weapons to enslave every one for
100-200+ years

But I just came to realize recenly that Nepolion and Tipu Sultan had indeed contact with each other infact his envoys visited france - quite remarkable how histrory would have bee if Napoleon / Tipu were ever to combine forces vs British ...

Last edited:
Well I will give you the answer folks. Actually the US national Anthem was written much later US's independence. About 50 years later.

And Tipu's connection? The guy who wrote the Anthem got its inspiration during an attack on Baltimore by the British, I guess during the war of 1812. And guess what kind of attack was that inspired him? A rocket attack. Baltimore was attacked by the British using the Cosgrove rockets. Cosgrove was a Major during the East India Company's battles against Tipu and had seen the rockets destructive affect at first hand. There's a line in the anthem that goes-

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

The Star-Spangled Banner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So now you know!

Interesting piece of trivia , lost fact in history how Tipu's rocket brigade influeced British evolution and usage of rockets in its armed conflicts , and how it connects to US fromation ....

Just about same time as India (Pakistan/India/Bangladesh/Afghanistan) was coming under British rule ...

World would be unrecognizable , if British was defeated one last time by Tipu , had Napolean forces indeed arrived to help out Tipu Sultan

Imagine the 100-200 years lost to british , where would the Rocket evolution would have been ....... Surely the frist person to set foot on moon could have been from Sub contient

Back
Top Bottom