What's new

The Wehrmacht In Pictures: A Look At One of History's Legendary Fighting Force

heh you beat me to posting it, btw I have had this song (eukalyptus bon bon and all) stuck in my head last few days:

Lol, you wouldn't believe which song has been stuck in my head for the past few days

This wouldn't be the thread to post it as it would be off-topic but it's the Serbian song called "Oj Alija Alijo" and the Bosnian song "Teslicka Brigada".

Not sure how I ended up listening to Balkan war music from the 1990's lol.

This is truly impressive

An infra red night vision device was used by Germans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zielgerät_1229

The German innovations from WW2 that immediately come to mind, to name a few
  1. integrated tank battalions with tank commander linked through wireless headset
  2. blitzkreig
  3. fuel injection engine (DB605 of Bf-109)
  4. first operational fighter jet with swept wings
  5. first air launched cruise missile (He-111 firing V-1 rocket)
  6. a new category of assault rifle (StG44)
  7. Use of high calibre cannons to kill tanks (Ju-87 Kanonenvogel which is an inspiration of A-10)

That's what the US and the PC historians want you to believe:

How Britain tortured Nazi PoWs: The horrifying interrogation methods that belie our proud boast that we fought a clean war | Daily Mail Online

American GI's shoot surrendering German's:

Eisenhower's Death Camps: 1.5 million German POW's starved to death after the war
Eisenhower deliberately starved to death close to 2 million German POW's, left them in the open exposed to the elements. Young men literally starved to death in their own filth. Americans didn't even bother to build simple shelters for these boys and provided them with no food stuffs at all.

In 'Eisenhower's Death Camps': A U.S. Prison Guard Remembers

HOW ALLIES TREATED GERMAN POWs by Michael Walsh

@DesertFox97 @Nihonjin1051 @Mahmoud_EGY @Psychic @Vauban

Were you surprised by such atrocities? The Americans have done the same in Vietnam and more recently in Middle East.

I say sub to r/HistoryMemes you will love it :lol:
M-18, there is something about the chassis, looks like M-24 chassis ?

M 18.jpg

M-18, there is something about the chassis, looks like M-24 chassis ?

View attachment 531912

Lot of design teams were somewhat joined at the hip given the larger need for cooperation in time of war etc. I believe Harley Earl (GM design studios exec) and the ordnance corps had several meeting of the minds especially when the M2/M3 chassis was deemed not sufficient for sustained use (past M3, M4, M5 etc) and a newer concept was developed for both tank and tank destroyer chassis (w.r.t suspension, layout, powertrain etc). There are notable differences between M-18 and M-24 chassis if you look close...but you are right there is lot of convergent evolution too. It is pretty indicative phenomenon of that era more broadly to achieve enough economy of scale quickly.

I find the WW2 german uniforms were simply sublime...esp the officers.

I take a natural fancy to the confederate war uniforms too. I guess im a sucker for a good pleasant grey and very clean distinct lines with just the right hint of flair.

No just the uniform, the helmet design was advanced. It looked like it was designed for today's war 7 decades ago.

Tiger tank was built around flak gun

This is truly impressive

An infra red night vision device was used by Germans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zielgerät_1229

The German innovations from WW2 that immediately come to mind, to name a few
  1. integrated tank battalions with tank commander linked through wireless headset
  2. blitzkreig
  3. fuel injection engine (DB605 of Bf-109)
  4. first operational fighter jet with swept wings
  5. first air launched cruise missile (He-111 firing V-1 rocket)
  6. a new category of assault rifle (StG44)
  7. Use of high calibre cannons to kill tanks (Ju-87 Kanonenvogel which is an inspiration of A-10)
First power steering tiger tank used have power steering and wheel one.
Two way radio tanks talked with each other.
First jet fighter first ejection seat.they were close to first sidewinder.first night air defence fighter they used tech called litenstein.
Robots used to kill tanks and mine cleaning.
Stg 44 was real gun Ak47 was his Russian copy.
Machine pistola built by shemizer today MP5 Luger pistols.American soldiers were big fan of machine pistol.
German small arms were the best even today they r best.
Yes Fanta soda drink was built by coca cola Germany from orange citras beacuse American banned coca cola raw material and big demand by German army for drink.

One thing I must say give credit where it due Hitler was main force to these tech innovations he used to call them wounder weapons and he never stop funding contrast to Sir frank vital who has look for private investors for jet engine.
Stg 44 they first tested against Russians and when Hitler saw her he called it stormgavier.
All these innovations needs interest of leadership and funding.
One more thing was merit for tiger tank two design proposed by Heinshel and Porsche. Porsche was buddy of Hitler but his design failed against Heinshel. Hitler gave it to them the tank chesse left by Porsche they built penzeryager mounted fixed turret gun.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom