What's new

The video clip tells you why China can build subways fast, with good quality

From building tools to highly innnovative construction techniques all from China. No countries can do better and faster than Chinese.

Japan need to use old method to construct while European needs to employ other countries expertise to collaborate to complete such major and complex projects which increase the cost.

*Yawn*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_boring_machine

Invented in 1825, these machines are a staple of tunneling. USA and Europe are using them for quite sometime now. Nothing new, move on.

http://www.adamantissrl.com/?page_id=112&lang=en

Here are some modern TBMs
There are many of them around the world, but Chinese ones are the most productive and now we are building half of the world's subways, tunnels, bridges ,railways and highways, that's why I say China now is the world builder.

There are many of them around the world, but Chinese ones are the most productive and now we are building half of the world's subways, tunnels, bridges ,railways and highways, that's why I say China now is the world builder.

These equipments are mostly custom provisioned for a project/projects/construction company. It is natural to see younger TBMs to be more capable. I wonder if someone orders a TBM from Hitachi today, what will stop them from getting the latest and greatest in TBM technologies.

I am yet to see a study of performance of TBMs. You have any?

Oh BTW, comparing performance of a TBM is tricky. A TBM called Bartha operating in Seattle ran into some deep underground pipes that delayed the project. I do not know if that should be called its 'under performance' or simply the fact that people who planned tunneling didn't do their homework properly or may be just the fact that Seattle is as brownfield as it gets. If you are tunneling in Karachi you are less likely to run into such deep pipes compared to Seattle.

Last edited:
I am not talking about machines, I am talking about who use them so well and efficient. US infrastructure is so rundown and falling apart, they should use their machines more or maybe they don't have many.

I am not talking about machines, I am talking about who use them so well and efficient. US infrastructure is so rundown and falling apart, they should use their machines more or maybe they don't have many.

One thing I want to make clear :

- I am not deriding China or her achievements. All I am questioning is the overselling of Chinese achievement which is being done by Chinese nationalists -- like in this thread.

Coming to the use of Machines, as most of the things in the world, it depends. Europeans use them a lot, so do Americans.

Project completion is not just a function of mechanization but also a number of other factors as well. Chief is regulation and litigation: If CPC says a project will be done here and in this way, mostly it is done deal. Not in the USA. There are huge number of agencies which can stop you. Agreed some of them are stupid but a large number of them also help citizens to have a say in government's working and avoid things like ecological disaster in their cities etc.

Certainly US infrastructure is not what it used to be but then it is expected. It is OLD. Take Seattle for example: I know about this city because I lived there personally. There is a second Seattle beneath the current one. The old Seattle which is abondonded (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground). It took quite sometime for current Seattle to rise over this one. When will 'next iteration' of Seattle will happen is anyone's guess. I believe same is London. You are looking only one point in the time. Fifty years ago, it would have been totally different, Fifty years from now, it could again be a role reversal.

One thing china should be praised of is mutual development.They progress but also help others to progress.They are not like Europeans or Americans having the superiority complex over others and building themselves over innocents blood.....i.e;they are like,Start a war and sell weapons no matter how much others suffer just think about the money we are making.

One thing china should be praised of is mutual development.They progress but also help others to progress.They are not like Europeans or Americans having the superiority complex over others and building themselves over innocents blood.....i.e;they are like,Start a war and sell weapons no matter how much others suffer just think about the money we are making.

Your 'economic relationship' with USA is much older than that with China. I will wait for sometime before calling Chinese saints. Their track record in Africa and Sri Lanka leaves much to be desired.

From building tools to highly innnovative construction techniques all from China. No countries can do better and faster than Chinese.

Japan need to use old method to construct while European needs to employ other countries expertise to collaborate to complete such major and complex projects which increase the cost.

Several countries use tunnel bores that use prefabricated concrete modules to line their tunnels. China did not invent this. As for Japan there's a machine in Seattle, Washington built by them that does this.

As somebody mentioned they are usually custom built for the situation.

Last edited:
Several countries use tunnel bores that use prefabricated concrete modules to line their tunnels. China did not invent this. As for Japan there's a machine in Seattle, Washington built by them that does this.

SR 99 is also known as 'Bertha'. It seems Chinese think it is some kind of China only path breaking invention. History of TBM dates back to 1825.

Sometimes US should 'export' Avataar cartoon to Chinese. Even that shows a TBM.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Military_of_the_Fire_Nation?file=Fire_Nation_drill.png

China now is not only the world manufacturer, but also the world builder

China is the ONLY NON-WHITE nation on earth that can match or even surpass the West and Russia in terms of being indigenous pioneers, inventors, builders and creators of advanced sciences and technologies. Much love to China from Pakistan:

:china::pakistan:

China's big project prowess is quite amazing. Americans Germans and French are great too but the Chinese have had a late start and still have caught up, and in many cases exceeded the rest.

Sadly we are dragging our foot at every step in the US with nonsensical political and social issues masquerading as fair-play - in the bargain we miss the true fair-play issues and miss out our projects as well. We have to get our act together again.

As to India, they have to learn from Chinese to be disciplined when in large projects.

China is the ONLY NON-WHITE nation on earth that can match or even surpass the West and Russia in terms of being indigenous pioneers, inventors, builders and creators of advanced sciences and technologies. Much love to China from Pakistan:

:china::pakistan:

Psst! There is Japan and Korea as well and they make a lot of awesome stuff that all of the world uses. AND they did all the awesome things much much before China.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom