What's new

The US has won more than 400 Nobel Prize awards, by far the most in the world

China's top science prize is for the scientists who greatly contribute to certain sectors of China's development,

Yes, notice how China is always about "me..me..me". While the Nobel Prize is about breakthroughs that push the world forward...like penicillin, transistors, integrated circuits, semiconductors, LED bulbs, LCDs, CCD (filmless cameras), microwaves, fiber optics, and lithium ion batteries.

Last edited:
lOL, Who cares about this western award, we have our own top science award. they mean nothing to us and will get us nothing.
I agree with you, these Western awards are biased. lol. Since when was the West impartial?

These two got nominated for killing tens of thousands Iraqi civilians

View attachment 958185
View attachment 958189
View attachment 958190
Beautiful post, especially when the whole world was against the Iraq war.

Last edited:
I agree with you, these Western awards are biased. lol. Since when was the West impartial?

..and what exactly are you using today that was the result of a Chinese breakthrough in the last 100 years????

Ever hear of any of these items that people got Nobel Prizes for: penicillin, transistors, integrated circuits, semiconductors, LED bulbs, LCDs, CCD (filmless cameras), microwaves, fiber optics, and lithium ion batteries. Think they may impact people's daily lives?

What "Chinese award" item is in your house or city?
Name just one...this is going to be a long wait...

Last edited:
I believe 'Suck Up' cultures (most of the world) don't produce many breakthroughs. South Korea is now highly advanced in science and technology, yet I don't see it on the list. Japan's number is decent, but not much higher than Switzerland.

Most of the Nobel winners from US academia doing research in the US are foreign born.

Remember I said "most", not all.

Very few US students go into academia as a profession and to do that you usually need Ph.Ds,

Which is where the foreign born students come in.

Actually, China's science prizes are like the Asian Games. Nobel is like the Olympics. Modern Science and Olympics were established in the West.

Anyway, this list shows China does poorly in scientific breakthroughs. China is very strong in Math, Computing, Design, Manufacturing, and Engineering. But, that is a fraction of the spectrum on which it is competitive against the West.

I think you are judging a bit early for China's rise to prominence (in large scale) in science and technology. Once that rise matures, it will also osmose into other subjects of academic excellence, like finance, literature etc. You will see that in the future coming from China.

I believe 'Suck Up' cultures (most of the world) don't produce many breakthroughs. South Korea is now highly advanced in science and technology, yet I don't see it on the list. Japan's number is decent, but not much higher than Switzerland.

To see everyday breakthroughs from China, Japan and Korea, you have to live in those countries.

I can vouch about Korea and Japan, where I have lived for significant periods. They adopt Western inventions and modify those to suit local economic limitations and conditions, which are ideal solutions (especially Korean and Chinese) for us in South Asia.

Because these cultures are closed societies, they are inward looking, highly conformist and very regimental. Expectations are quite rigid on what a person will do in life. More of the case in Korea and Japan than China, I'd say.

Any suggestion to say that people from these countries (or China) are talentless does not wash.

Their talents are rewarded in country because of sufficient opportunities, they don't have to get Ph.Ds (or recognition i.e. Nobel prizes) from the West, and more importantly, to be CEOs of local Japanese or Korean companies.

Most of the Nobel winners from US academia doing research in the US are foreign born.

Remember I said "most", not all.
That is an American achievement by itself. How many countries can boast that. Credit goes to America, whether they are American or not. And, if they are American citizen, they count as American.

To see everyday breakthroughs from China, Japan and Korea, you have to live in those countries.

I can vouch about Korea and Japan, where I have lived for significant periods. They adopt Western inventions and modify those to suit local economic limitations and conditions, which are ideal solutions (especially Korean and Chinese) for us in South Asia.

Because these cultures are closed societies, they are inward looking, highly conformist and very regimental. Expectations are quite rigid on what a person will do in life. More of the case in Korea and Japan than China, I'd say.

Any suggestion to say that people from these countries (or China) are talentless does not wash.

Their talents are rewarded in country because of sufficient opportunities, they don't have to get Ph.Ds (or recognition i.e. Nobel prizes) from the West, and more importantly, to be CEOs of local Japanese or Korean companies.
I didn't say they are talentless. On the contrary, South Korea is highly advanced in science and technology, yet how many names of breakthrough Korean scientists are you familiar with?

Yes, notice how China is always about "me..me..me". While the Nobel Prize is about breakthroughs that push the world forward...like penicillin, transistors, integrated circuits, semiconductors, LED bulbs, LCDs, CCD (filmless cameras), microwaves, fiber optics, and lithium ion batteries.
The world moved forward not because of Nobel prize, China made the greatest progress in the human history in the past several decades without Nobel prize, Japan won several Nobel prizes during the past decade but it didn't stop it from falling behind. A prize is just a prize, they are not scientific and technological progress themselves. You sound like they are the same thing, it's rather ridiculous. Nobel prize has hostile relations with China, so we don't care it much, but it doesn't stop China from achieving scientific and technological progress and breakthroughs.
Nobel prize is a western award biased towards the west is a known fact, it's pointless to argue about it here.

A prize is just a prize, they are not scientific and technological progress themselves. You sound like they are the same thing, it's rather ridiculous. Nobel prize has hostile relations with China, so we don't care it much, but it doesn't stop China from achieving scientific and technological progress and breakthroughs.
Nobel prize is a western award biased towards the west is a known fact, it's pointless to argue about it here.

I'm sure China said the same thing decades ago about the Olympics...and then when you started winning golds you suddenly did a 180...now your cities are fighting with each other to host it.

When you are a loser something is bad..when you start to win..that same thing is magically turned good. :rolleyes1:

Last edited:
Self masturbating political award. Creating your own award so you can give it to yourself.

I'm sure China said the same thing decades ago about the Olympics...and then when you started winning golds you suddenly did a 180...now your cities are fighting with each other to host it.

When you are a loser something is bad..when you start to win..that same thing is magically turned good. :rolleyes1:
I still suggest changing the name Olympic Games into the world games and fundamentally reform it.

When you are a loser something is bad..when you start to win..that same thing is magically good. :rolleyes1:
Olympics is now still biased towards the West esp US and biased against countries such as China, Russia and other developing countries. Olympics is administered by Western countries and most judges are from the West. You can tell US athletes always get lenient scores when the sports are ruled by judges. Whenever American athletes have disputes or complaints about the games, they are always ruled in favor of the Americans. One blatant example of biased judging in favor of American is the diving event between American Greg Louganis and the Chinese Xiong Ni in Seoul. The Chinese obviously performed better than Greg Louganis as everyone could see, but Greg Louganis was given gold medal by the judges. Olympics are not fair games either.

I didn't say they are talentless. On the contrary, South Korea is highly advanced in science and technology, yet how many names of breakthrough Korean scientists are you familiar with?

Like I said - the culture in those countries reward collective (team) achievement and not individual achievement.

100 people developing something in a team cannot get a Nobel Prize together.

This is the difference, they apply their talents collectively to improve a product of everyday use to the degree (Samsung vs. Apple cellphones) where it's a commercial bumper success with requisite profit gained. China's Huawei is also following the same guideline.

Practicality and profitability to improve their industry and company success is the key word.

Whereas we in South Asia advance concepts (a la our EU and US masters and mostly in Western academic settings) developing things whose practical application is hardly known or even practicable.

High-minded concepts which are academically brilliant but practically far from usability in everyday life.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom