What's new

The US could have destroyed Iran's entire infrastructure without dropping a single bomb

Of course it wasn't because of peaceful intentions or out of the goodness of his heart. He was afraid. That's why he offered it.

Khoramshar was liberated on the 12th of May,
22 May 1982 is when operation "Beit ol-Moqaddas" was finished. And yes, after that operation there were still some areas where the Iraqis remained but the ceasefire was offered in June. And "Iraq had lost all captured areas in June, 1982." I checked a few maps as well and the timeline and they say the same thing.

Most of those demands weren't even met with the 598 resolution though. I mean even until the 2000s POWs were being exchanged, Saddam was still in power and wasn't punished for the Iran-Iraq war, no war reparations were paid and etc. The biggest demand was for Saddam to leave and an Islamic republic to replace him, Khomeini wanted Karbala and etc.

But It's true, you can't guarantee that someone like Saddam wouldn't start a war against you, i mean as you mentioned, he attacked again after he accepted the 598 and was repelled.
But countless lives would have been saved, Iran would have been a clear victor in the war instead of some people calling the outcome a stalemate, there would have been war reparations, and Iran could have built up. Now I'm not saying that Iran would have turned it's back against the Iraqi border because they said that they would abide by a ceasefire. They should have still been prepared.

And as i mentioned, had this just been a war between Iran and Iraq, Iran would have won easily. But they had to take the fact that the West didn't want them to win, into account. Without the West, Saddam would have been doomed.

As I said it was just a ceasefire proposal not an actual , practical and long lasting peace plan to go with to build up and form the future of a nation on it , moreover in process of implementation of a peace plan recognition of both sides rights and demands is the first step , none of Iran's demands were met and recognized before 598 resolution even though some of them never got implemented or by delay ....
Time is our sworn enemy, we are chained and limited to the time and place ... and these factors would impact our decisions ... maybe from our prospective and point of view base upon written history and knowledge we have access now it's easy to judge that the war could have been over by 1982 and its continuance of war was an foolish idea but from prospective and point of views' of Iran's power centers and decisions makers at the time it was a right path to follow to secure and stabilize the country ...
And at the end war has an ugly face there is no point to be glad about either be a victorious or defeated ....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom