What's new

The Throne Room of Mountain Gods.

Awesome pics man... im going to Gilgit baltistan on the 3rd of next month... with 2 of my best friends... any tips... im taking my camping equipment... with me...can we camp in the deosai or the fairy meadows? its a kind of adventure for us... wed like to trek as much as we can ... cook our own food... camp in the wilderness and be all wild.... ur tips and advice will be very helpfull...and appreciated....

For me there's no sight in all the worlds which can match this. The splendor, the grandeur, the beauty, the terror and the sheer awe. K2:

kw.jpg

k23.jpg

k2.jpg

k22.jpg

k21.jpg

k2vlouds.jpg

As seen from Broad Peak base camp:

k2frombpbc.jpg

As the night falls:

k2nightfals.jpg

Awesome pics man... im going to Gilgit baltistan on the 3rd of next month... with 2 of my best friends... any tips... im taking my camping equipment... with me...can we camp in the deosai or the fairy meadows? its a kind of adventure for us... wed like to trek as much as we can ... cook our own food... camp in the wilderness and be all wild.... ur tips and advice will be very helpfull...and appreciated....

Which places would you advise us to visit?

Oh both the places are awesome. You can camp there and trek to your heart's content. Not a lot of climbing involved. Deosai is without a doubt one of the most prettiest places on this planet and Fairy Meadows....well who the heck wouldn't want to wake up beneath the shadow of the Killer Mountain!?! If I were you I'd definitely go with Fairy Meadows. Don't get me wrong Deosai is breathtakingly beautiful probably more than the Fairy Meadows but the lure of being so close to one of the world's eight-thousanders, that too the infamous Nangaparbat, is beyond my will to ignore. Also the treks in Deosai aren't much of a challenge.

I'd suggest you guys go for the meadows but don't stop there. Go trek to the base camps. You can camp a night or two at the base camps as well (My favorite; the Rupal bc). Check out all the faces; Diamir, Raikhot and Rupal. If you want to make it more interesting check out the Rama trek. You'll have to pass through three mountain passes so it's a little more demanding. The face which you see from the fairy meadows is the Raikhot face. Don't forget the Rupal face is the highest and tallest wall on the planet, rising 4800 meters straight up. It's only been successfully climbed twice! It's the best view of the mountain in my opinion.

Anyway do check all these places out. Also you'll need some porters and guides if your planning on trekking. The porters will carry the food, the camping and the cooking stuff. Trust me if you make it easy you'll enjoy the activities more. And one must never go anywhere up there without someone who knows the places well, enter the guides. You must not go without them. Id also advise to take a cook. The atmosphere plays tricks for a cook and you don't want to have an upset tummy up there. So best let them cook but you can help out. Apart from that the season you've chosen is perfect, you'll enjoy the cool/cold weather, the place is awesome and beyond words. There's no reason why you won't have heck loads of fun :) I guarantee you'll come back fallen in love.

ps: Get some sturdy trekking boots if want to go on more than just day treks.

K2:

untitled.jpg

Sia Kangri (7,442 m):

siakangri-1.jpg

sioakangri.jpg

siakangriiiiii.jpg

Trango Towers:

trangounammed.jpg

trangotowerandnamelessgroup.jpg

The Muztagh Tower:

muztaghtower.jpg

Urduka peaks from Payu:

urdukasfrompayu.jpg

I have a pair of combat boots used by USMC :
20ssxfr.jpg

Would these work or should i buy something else?
Also hows the weather there these days?... and about the guide... how much would it cost us? are dairy products and other food stuff available there?

We can cook pretty good... :)

I have a pair of combat boots used by USMC :
20ssxfr.jpg

Would these work or should i buy something else?
Also hows the weather there these days?... and about the guide... how much would it cost us? are dairy products and other food stuff available there?

We can cook pretty good... :)

Hahaha! Those would be perfect for your trip. You know I have a pair of those myself. They are perfect for trekking/light climbing (as long as you don't need crampons).

The weather well be heavenly. Cool days and cold nights. You'd break a little sweat while trekking if the sun is out, it would get the 'Lahori cold' if it rains otherwise it would be perfect. The nights on the other hand could at times turn really cold. The winds coming from the mountain passes and down the glacier are the culprits. Just pack a windbreaker, 2 light sweater (just to be safe), 3 shirts, two of your winter sports trousers, loads of socks, a cap or a brimmed hat (to save you from the sunlight. You won't believe how quickly you can get a nasty sunburn up there) and a pair of normal shades. Sunblock (spf 40+), hand sanitizer and a bottle of hand wash or a tube of face wash would come really handy. Take loads of tissue rolls too. But don't over pack.

All the food stuffs should be available from the fairy meadows if the cabins are open (which they should be at this time of the year). The villages nearby can provide some basic items too. But I'd suggest you buy all the food stuff you need from Chillas since the people around the fairy meadows tend to rip you off. You'l find all the required stuff in Chillas on near to normal prices. It shouldn't be a problem since you guys are only three. It will also save the headache of carrying it all the way from home.

Last year in May a single porter cost us 700-800 per day and I think the guide cost us 1500/day. The porters and the guides there are a bit more expensive than in other places. I'll try to get the current rates and get back to you on this later.

ps: Be a little wary of the locals there. Apart from ripping you off they can be really rude. Their attitudes have changed a lot since the place started commercializing. The guides again will be helpful here.

Gasherbrum II (8,035 meters):

g22.jpg

g2b.jpg

g2a.jpg

g2bhains.jpg

g2and.jpg

Gasherbrum II 8035m and Gaherbrum lll 7925m:

GasherbrumII8035mGaherbrumlll7925m.jpg

From left to right, Gasherbrum IV (7923 m), Gasherbrum II (8035 m) and Gasherbrum II East (7772 m) from Gasherbrum La:

g2.jpg

GasherbrumIV7923mGasherbrumII8035mandGasherbrumIIEast7772mfromGasherbrumLa.jpg

Gasherbrum IV 7925m( extreme left) G III 7952m ( center) G II 8035m (Right):

GasherbrumIV7925mextremeleftGIII7952mcenterGII8035mRight.jpg

Marble Peak (6400 meters):

marblepeak.jpg

marblepeak2.jpg

marblepeak3.jpg

Various other images from the area:

karakoram.jpg

karakoram1.jpg

karakoram2.jpg

karakoram3.jpg

Gasherbrum I:

g1.jpg

g1111.jpg

G1 on the right:

GasherbrumV7147mTwinPeak6882m.jpg

Gasherbrums:

gasherbrums.jpg

Khumul Gri (6851 meters):

KhumulGri6851mts.jpg

unknownchogolisa.jpg

Masherbrum:

unknownpeak.jpg

Once again awesome stuff Krash. K2 pictures were awesome.

Back
Top Bottom