What's new

The Throne Room of Mountain Gods.

Route plan for the Nanga Parbat base camps?

The first base camp is like a days walk away. Its not very far. Ill go check with my sources about the situation there and give you the complete details tomorrow.

The army program is awesome! They were planning on starting different mountain related courses at Rattu Cantt for civilians as well when the last time I went there for skiing, in march 2010. Courses such as mountaineering, skiing, survival, etc. They did start the skiing course but I dont know about the rest. This reminds me that you can go to Rattu too and ski your heart out. You'll go to Astore by road (The Astore road shoots off of the KKH just around Raikot and goes south-east direct to Astore). From there its a jeep track up till Rattu and the drive will take around 4-5 hours. Of course this track has very good chances of being blocked due to snow and if it is then you'll have to trek till Rattu. Both the times I went there we had to trek 4 & 6 hours.

I meant the whole plan brah! I havent been to G/B in my entire life... so kindly make a plan for me?

Do fairy meadow-deosai,hunza,karimabad,astore,ice sharks,baltoro glacier,k2,rakaposhi etc fall on the same route?

Sorry for the stupid questions..

As for the army program.. even if its not open for civies im sure my father might arrange it for me... he served in skardu,saichin for 2.5 years in FCNA...

I meant the whole plan brah! I havent been to G/B in my entire life... so kindly make a plan for me?

Do fairy meadow-deosai,hunza,karimabad,astore,ice sharks,baltoro glacier,k2,rakaposhi etc fall on the same route?

As for the army program.. even if its not open for civies im sure my father might arrange it for me... he served in skardu,saichin for 2.5 years in FCNA...

Ok how many days do you have planned for the trip?

Btw G/B is huge!!!!!!!!!! and the travelling times there are quite a lot even for small distances.

Hey krash can you make me some sort of route plan? also how far is nangab parbat base camp frm fairy meadows?

Also im thinking of learning mountainering... guess il enroll in the army moun.. club next winter.

snanga parbat base camp trek from fairy meadows was almost 5 hours for me cz it was my first every trekking experience i was also not equipped , fairy meadows to beyal camp is 1.5 hour simple trekking but base camp trek is bit tough , if you have plans to visit fairy meadows in winters do tell me one of owner of hotel in fairy meadows is my friend he will open hotel for me i have talked him before on winter plans to fairy meadows , do tell me if you want to go there .

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

fairy meadows jeep track lies on karakoram highway same KKH goes through karimabad hunza valley etc , but for k2 baltoro n other places you have to trek away from the highway there are different treks which leads towards k2 baltoro etc google maps can help you a lot on making tour plan .

Krash bhai amazing shots yar these are life time experiences , very few people have made up to such places nice to see some trekker on this forum i m bored of jet fighters and weapons discussions :D and about chitral yes it is bit away from the track but we want to cover all areas which can be reach with in out tour plan we will take chitral gilgit road via shandur pass and our tour plan is at the end of june and after the june tour i am planning for biking tour :D

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

392271_10150524623221983_225408281982_10482016_1213082275_n.jpg

Snow lake its my dream to go there will fullfil it with in next 1 to 2 years hehehe :partay:

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

229641_255392231155171_100000531891402_1015117_1371917_n.jpg

184195_255393411155053_100000531891402_1015120_2204826_n.jpg

262931_255394254488302_100000531891402_1015122_1910317_n.jpg

a move towards massive Hisper la picture by one of my friend mazhar fareed

Firstly sorry about the late response. Hectic two days.....

So my advice goes as follows:

Its going to be your first time up there. You have way too much to see. So dont limit your self by a trek. I promise you that just a drive to any one of these places will leave you overwhelmed and intoxicated. You do not need any trekking. You have 10 days in total (3-4 possible trekking days) at max, dont spend them battling up a mountain pass or through a valley when this is the first time you'll be there. Id rather have you travel and see as much as is possible than just a single mountain or valley, especially when the sights along the road are no less spectacular than anything beyond the track. Trust me, you will have all your senses overwhelmed and overclocked. I have traveled twice to Skardu and once to Gilgit just for the sake of traveling on that road. Due to time constraints I didn't stay a full day on any of those trips. Mind you, any trip up our north is as much about the drive as it is about the destination.

I suggest that you start off with the classical/original KKH route. Dont turn right from Mansehra towards Balakot/Naran/Babusar, instead keep following the KKH straight to Badgram-->Behsam-->Patan-->Dassu-->Chillas. All these towns have good accommodation (PTDC and/or other motels). The route is extremely beautiful. From Chillas onward the mind blowing magic starts. From Chillas keep on riding the KKH. You will pass through the edges of the Babusar and Diamir valleys. Here you'll reach the Nangaparbat viewing point and pass along the Raikot bridge. Keep going straight on to Jaghlot-->Gilgit-->Karimabad. You will pass through the point where the three highest ranges of the world meet. And from here onward you will be mostly traveling in the Karakoram. In Karimabad stay for a day or two and explore the surroundings. This town alone is spectacular. There is loads and loads to see here with many one dray treks available too. Just from the town you'll be able to see Rakaposhi (7788m), Ultar (7388m), Diran (7257m), Spantik aka Golden Peak (7027m) and Bublimating Peak aka Ladyfinger (>6000 meters). The Baltit fort and the Eagle's nest are two places here which give an epicly amazing panoramic view of the Hunza valley. They are a must to visit and I strongly suggest that you do. Many day treks available here e.g. you can trek to the famous Ultar meadow. The trek takes about 7 hours round trip (4 hours there and 3 hours return). It can be easily done as a day trek. The ascent is rather steep, up a very rocky path and route is not very obvious, so do ask the locals for the correct direction but you shouldn't need a guide even though having one would be better. This trek will give you some really close views of Ultarsar and Ladyfinger with good trekking fun.

From Karimabad instead of going further north come back to Gilgit. You can stay here and go on any of the day treks available here but I suggest you instead start towards Skardu. A little south from Gilgit you'll turn east on the Gilgit/Skardu road from Alam Chowk. The Nangaparbat's north face will greet you on you right side as you climb up. The drive from Gilgit and Skardu should take you around 7-9 hours and I seriously suggest that you make during the day. This stretch of road is phenomenal and is something you do not want to miss in the dark. Very very high and very very steep mountains clad in ice and snow with EXTREMELY narrow valley down bellow. This road introduces you to the Karakoram. Jet black, unimaginably steep and high rock faces right besides you while you are travelling hundreds of feet above the river in a very very narrow valley. This is my favorite road in the world! You will pass many different little towns along the way but no noticeable motels. In Skardu stay a day or two. Go see the Skardu desert, climb up to the Skardu Fort, check out the Sadpara, Upper Kachura and the Lower Kachura (Shangrila) lakes. Can go on many day treks here too. Loads and loads to see here (even more than Karimabad). From Skardu you must make your way further east towards Siachin. Skardu-->Ghanche-->Barrah-->Khaplu; I will not state how amazing and beautiful these places are because, firstly, that goes without saying and, secondly, you might think that im a blabbering buffoon. When you see them you will understand too :) From Khaplu I strongly suggest that you jeep your way north to the Hushe village in Hushe valley (Desperately trying to hold my self from starting off about this place too). Famous peaks like Masherbrum and Laila Peak visible from here. The time you'll take from Skardu nonstop to Hushe is around 5-7 hours. But I promise you that you wont be going nonstop ;) Then drive back to Skardu. From here go south passing through Sadpara and from right besides the Deosai planes onto Astore. But before setting off do check if the road is open. This track takes some very heavy snowfall every season.

Check out the Astore valley which should be completely white (Its already snowed 2/3 times there this winter). From Astore ride the Astore road north-west to reach the KKH again. You will reach the KKH around the point where you first saw Nangaparbat. From here make your way back south. Now if you dont have time continue back to Chillas but if you do then stop when you reach the Raikot bridge, cross it and take off on the Fairy Meadow road. Spend a night or two at the Fairy Meadows and then make your way back to the Raikot bridge. When you reach there go on south to Chillas.

Now from Chillas, instead of following the old KKH route back (The way from which you came), take the new road going towards Babusar. You will first have to check with someone in Chillas if the road is open. This road is usually closed off dureing the winters due to excessive snow fall. This is going to be the new KKH route in the future. You can go up the Babusar Top which presents an amazing view of the Babusar valley and Nangaparbat. Then continue onward and if you have time you can go up and check Lalazar and the Dudipatsar lake out but only if the road is passable. The road from Babusar valley will take you past the Lulusar Lake onto Jalkhad. Then its Jalkhad-->Batakundi-->Naran. In Naran you can spend a day and go see Said-ul-Malook. The lake should be completely frozen with zero annoying tourists anywhere. From Naran-->Kaghan-->to the foot of Shogran. You can go up and check Shogran, Siri and Pai out but I doubt that the roads would be open at this time of the year. From Shogran you will make your way back to Mansehra thorugh Balakot and then to Abbottabad and so on.

After that you will spend each and every passing day of your life remembering this trip and wanting to go back the first chance you get :p

Krash bhai amazing shots yar these are life time experiences , very few people have made up to such places nice to see some trekker on this forum i m bored of jet fighters and weapons discussions :D and about chitral yes it is bit away from the track but we want to cover all areas which can be reach with in out tour plan we will take chitral gilgit road via shandur pass and our tour plan is at the end of june and after the june tour i am planning for biking tour :D

Good luck bro! You will have unimaginable fun. I wish I could have two years and enough money just to go to G/B and explore it as much as I can. Something which very little people know is that any trip to these places is like a 'reboot button'. You always come back a different person, a better person with not a care in the world and a deeper and happier view of life and the world.

Take loads of pictures when you go. I plan to open a thread just about the trips to G/B of our members very soon. I have gazillions of pics to share :D

Can you kindly tell me the total distance frm Rwp - Skardu? and frm skardu-naran-abbotabad etc?

Thanks again for tyour help bro!

Its going to be your first time up there. You have way too much to see. So dont limit your self by a trek. I promise you that just a drive to any one of these places will leave you overwhelmed and intoxicated. You do not need any trekking. You have 10 days in total (3-4 possible trekking days) at max, dont spend them battling up a mountain pass or through a valley when this is the first time you'll be there. Id rather have you travel and see as much as is possible than just a single mountain or valley, especially when the sights along the road are no less spectacular than anything beyond the track. Trust me, you will have all your senses overwhelmed and overclocked. I have traveled twice to Skardu and once to Gilgit just for the sake of traveling on that road. Due to time constraints I didn't stay a full day on any of those trips. Mind you, any trip up our north is as much about the drive as it is about the destination.

I suggest that you start off with the classical/original KKH route. Dont turn right from Mansehra towards Balakot/Naran/Babusar, instead keep following the KKH straight to Badgram-->Behsam-->Patan-->Dassu-->Chillas. All these towns have good accommodation (PTDC and/or other motels). The route is extremely beautiful. From Chillas onward the mind blowing magic starts. From Chillas keep on riding the KKH. You will pass through the edges of the Babusar and Diamir valleys. Here you'll reach the Nangaparbat viewing point and pass along the Raikot bridge. Keep going straight on to Jaghlot-->Gilgit-->Karimabad. You will pass through the point where the three highest ranges of the world meet. And from here onward you will be mostly traveling in the Karakoram. In Karimabad stay for a day or two and explore the surroundings. This town alone is spectacular. There is loads and loads to see here with many one dray treks available too. Just from the town you'll be able to see Rakaposhi (7788m), Ultar (7388m), Diran (7257m), Spantik aka Golden Peak (7027m) and Bublimating Peak aka Ladyfinger (>6000 meters). The Baltit fort and the Eagle's nest are two places here which give an epicly amazing panoramic view of the Hunza valley. They are a must to visit and I strongly suggest that you do. Many day treks available here e.g. you can trek to the famous Ultar meadow. The trek takes about 7 hours round trip (4 hours there and 3 hours return). It can be easily done as a day trek. The ascent is rather steep, up a very rocky path and route is not very obvious, so do ask the locals for the correct direction but you shouldn't need a guide even though having one would be better. This trek will give you some really close views of Ultarsar and Ladyfinger with good trekking fun.

From Karimabad instead of going further north come back to Gilgit. You can stay here and go on any of the day treks available here but I suggest you instead start towards Skardu. A little south from Gilgit you'll turn east on the Gilgit/Skardu road from Alam Chowk. The Nangaparbat's north face will greet you on you right side as you climb up. The drive from Gilgit and Skardu should take you around 7-9 hours and I seriously suggest that you make during the day. This stretch of road is phenomenal and is something you do not want to miss in the dark. Very very high and very very steep mountains clad in ice and snow with EXTREMELY narrow valley down bellow. This road introduces you to the Karakoram. Jet black, unimaginably steep and high rock faces right besides you while you are travelling hundreds of feet above the river in a very very narrow valley. This is my favorite road in the world! You will pass many different little towns along the way but no noticeable motels. In Skardu stay a day or two. Go see the Skardu desert, climb up to the Skardu Fort, check out the Sadpara, Upper Kachura and the Lower Kachura (Shangrila) lakes. Can go on many day treks here too. Loads and loads to see here (even more than Karimabad). From Skardu you must make your way further east towards Siachin. Skardu-->Ghanche-->Barrah-->Khaplu; I will not state how amazing and beautiful these places are because, firstly, that goes without saying and, secondly, you might think that im a blabbering buffoon. When you see them you will understand too :) From Khaplu I strongly suggest that you jeep your way north to the Hushe village in Hushe valley (Desperately trying to hold my self from starting off about this place too). Famous peaks like Masherbrum and Laila Peak visible from here. The time you'll take from Skardu nonstop to Hushe is around 5-7 hours. But I promise you that you wont be going nonstop ;) Then drive back to Skardu. From here go south passing through Sadpara and from right besides the Deosai planes onto Astore. But before setting off do check if the road is open. This track takes some very heavy snowfall every season.

Check out the Astore valley which should be completely white (Its already snowed 2/3 times there this winter). From Astore ride the Astore road north-west to reach the KKH again. You will reach the KKH around the point where you first saw Nangaparbat. From here make your way back south. Now if you dont have time continue back to Chillas but if you do then stop when you reach the Raikot bridge, cross it and take off on the Fairy Meadow road. Spend a night or two at the Fairy Meadows and then make your way back to the Raikot bridge. When you reach there go on south to Chillas.

Now from Chillas, instead of following the old KKH route back (The way from which you came), take the new road going towards Babusar. You will first have to check with someone in Chillas if the road is open. This road is usually closed off dureing the winters due to excessive snow fall. This is going to be the new KKH route in the future. You can go up the Babusar Top which presents an amazing view of the Babusar valley and Nangaparbat. Then continue onward and if you have time you can go up and check Lalazar and the Dudipatsar lake out but only if the road is passable. The road from Babusar valley will take you past the Lulusar Lake onto Jalkhad. Then its Jalkhad-->Batakundi-->Naran. In Naran you can spend a day and go see Said-ul-Malook. The lake should be completely frozen with zero annoying tourists anywhere. From Naran-->Kaghan-->to the foot of Shogran. You can go up and check Shogran, Siri and Pai out but I doubt that the roads would be open at this time of the year. From Shogran you will make your way back to Mansehra thorugh Balakot and then to Abbottabad and so on.

After that you will spend each and every passing day of your life remembering this trip and wanting to go back the first chance you get :p

Good luck bro! You will have unimaginable fun. I wish I could have two years and enough money just to go to G/B and explore it as much as I can. Something which very little people know is that any trip to these places is like a 'reboot button'. You always come back a different person, a better person with not a care in the world and a deeper and happier view of life and the world.

Take loads of pictures when you go. I plan to open a thread just about the trips to G/B of our members very soon. I have gazillions of pics to share :D

babusar top road will be blocked due to heavy snow fall and kkh will be the best for winters tour babusar pass gets open for only few months like 4 to 5 from july to november , and yes i will take load of pics brother my first slr camera is coming tomorrow nikon d5100 very excited and i am buying this cam just to explore the beauty of pakistan and too show the world :pakistan:

Biafo Hispar (Snow Lake) Trek - July 2011 By My Friend Mazhar Fareed

Last edited by a moderator:

Biafo Hispar (Snow Lake) Trek - July 2011 By My Friend Mazhar Fareed

The video was amazing but the that stupid tasteless song kept ruining it.......and then came the part at 10:00 and all was forgiven. :tup:

ps: Greenday is an insult to that place :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he should visit Gilgit and Hunza or Skardu and the surrounding areas first instead of "de mar sadhe char" what do you think as I am just sharing my experience.

The video was amazing but the that stupid tasteless song kept ruining it.......and then came the part at 10:00 and all was forgiven. :tup:

ps: Greenday is an insult to that place :p

yeah music was not good one in the video but the best part of video was when the guy started AZAAN on the snow lake :)

I think he should visit Gilgit and Hunza or Skardu and the surrounding areas first instead of "de mar sadhe char" what do you think as I am just sharing my experience.

Agreed :)

Enjoy guys...

Unnamed peaks:

unam.jpg

unSuperStock_4201-37641.jpg

unamed.jpg

Angel Sar (Angel Peak- 6,858 meters):

This peak is the little sister peak of K2.

34AngelAngelusPeakCloseUpFromNearConcordiaInTheMorning.jpg

1013973453_w5Zs5-L.jpg

Angel Sar on the left and K2 on the right:

33K2FullViewWithAngelAngelusPeakFromNearConcordiaInTheMorning.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom