What's new

The Pothohar Plateau

Oh really? That's interesting. Is that just a legend or his real tomb? Do you have a picture? What are khokhars considered in Kharian? Rajput or something else? The funny thing is that the "khokhars" using malik as a title claim descent from Qutb-Shah(like the awans)... Yet the Khokhars of Pind Dadan Khan(who are rajas) claim descent from Jasrath Khokhar. The awans of Attock are called "Khokhar awan"...

I don't have photo of mazar. These khokhars are jats in Kharian. In case of khokhars i don't know if they claim outside ancestry in real life, i doubt it. They either say they are jat or rajputs khokhars. Because most of these claims are traced back to one book written by H. A. Rose century ago. But my malik awan friend used to claim he had arab ancestry. I have noticed even on forums etc awans claim arab/afghan ancestry.

Chibs are not the only "rajas" in Kharian I believe. Raja Aziz Bhatti was also from the same region. The Gujjars in Jhelum speak Majhi punjabi, interestingly. Jodhras are the "maliks" of Pindi Gheb. Malik Atta is a Gheba. Malik is just a title, which many clans use.
I wonder if there is any link between malik/malak of pashtuns and awans?...Chief of clan is called malik/malak among pashtuns while in case of awans, it seems, is a general title like khan.

I wonder if there is any link between malik/malak of pashtuns and awans?...Chief of clan is called malik/malak among pashtuns while in case of awans, it seems, is a general title like khan.

Malik is a title used by many different Potohari and Punjabi tribes. Almost every awan uses malik. Apart from awans, Ghebas, Jodhras and Tiwanas are also always use malik. The last 3 tribes I mentioned are rajputs. In Pashtuns I think malik is just a word for "chieftain". Almost every land owner tribe of Potohar has its own title. The rajputs and Gakkhars almost always use the tile "raja". The Khattars and some Awans of Talagang almost always use "sardar". The Kakezai of Potohar also use the title of malik. I think Malik Riaz and Shoaib Malik are both Kakezai.

Malik is a title used by many different Potohari and Punjabi tribes. Almost every awan uses malik. Apart from awans, Ghebas, Jodhras and Tiwanas are also always use malik. The last 3 tribes I mentioned are rajputs. In Pashtuns I think malik is just a word for "chieftain". Almost every land owner tribe of Potohar has its own title. The rajputs and Gakkhars almost always use the tile "raja". The Khattars and some Awans of Talagang almost always use "sardar". The Kakezai of Potohar also use the title of malik. I think Malik Riaz and Shoaib Malik are both Kakezai.

Malik riaz and shoaib malik are awans from Sialkot.

Malik riaz and shoaib malik are awans from Sialkot.

I read somewhere that they are both kakezai from Sialkot. This malik raiz might be a nai though, using the name malik only to gain respect of the Potoharis, whose lands he stole. He became rich by grabbing the lands of the poor and less influential Potoharis of Pindi region. This is what a lack of nationalism gets you... Though, a local Potohari, Malik Bari served him right, but unfortunately he died early. Malik Bari is said to have killed 2 retired army colonels affiliated with Bahria town. He also fired upon Malik Riaz's vehicle once.

I read somewhere that they are both kakezai from Sialkot. This malik raiz might be a nai though, using the name malik only to gain respect of the Potoharis, whose lands he stole. He became rich by grabbing the lands of the poor and less influential Potoharis of Pindi region. This is what a lack of nationalism gets you... Though, a local Potohari, Malik Bari served him right, but unfortunately he died early. Malik Bari is said to have killed 2 retired army colonels affiliated with Bahria town. He also fired upon Malik Riaz's vehicle once.

Shoaib and Riaz are awans, will post link when i found it. Telis use malik surname and nai use rajas. Its hard to verify anything once you are in city anyway.

Luddi, the traditional dance of Potohar. Bhangra type dancing is virtually unknown in Potohar plateau. I think the flute music behind is also very typical of Potohar. The typical Punjabi type music is practically unheard similarly.

Luddi, the traditional dance of Potohar. Bhangra type dancing is virtually unknown in Potohar plateau. I think the flute music behind is also very typical of Potohar. The typical Punjabi type music is practically unheard similarly.

what is this dancing called.. are these people Punjabis..doest look Punjabi people to me.

RANI TAJ - Live with The Dons of Dhol

what is this dancing called.. are these people Punjabis..doest look Punjabi people to me.

It's called "luddi". It's the staple Potohari wedding dance. And we're not exactly "Punjabi". Have you seen those mirpuri people in UK? They are ethnic Potoharis, but from Azad Kashmir(messed up borders in Pakistan). And yes we do look different, but some people deny the differences. Too much politic involved.

This is what your common Potoharis look like, and the flute music is very Potohari:

Jatt please watch these punjabis from Gujrat, start from 8:00. Do they look like punjabis to you? To me they do, at least Pakistani punjabis from where i come from. Also post exemple of how punjabis are supposed to look since its a diverse ethnic group. Don't expect sikh pags in our punjab.

@Shahmir i have no idea what they are doing in this video. I guess this is what deobandis and wahabis hate? Lol

It's called "luddi". It's the staple Potohari wedding dance. And we're not exactly "Punjabi". Have you seen those mirpuri people in UK? They are ethnic Potoharis, but from Azad Kashmir(messed up borders in Pakistan). And yes we do look different, but some people deny the differences. Too much politic involved.

This is what your common Potoharis look like, and the flute music is very Potohari:
flute music is beutifill but very pahari type.. beautiful people but I woudnt count them as Punjabi.. they look like himachalis to me

flute music is beutifill but very pahari type.. beautiful people but I woudnt count them as Punjabi.. they look like himachalis to me

I would be lying if I said we don't look different from Punjabis in general. Pakistani central punjabis look just like Sikh punjabis. We Potoharis look a bit different. Sanjay Dutt for example has a very Potohari look. I don't think he looks Punjabi. As for Himachal and Jammu, we do have distant links to them. The Chibs of Mirpur and Jhelum region came from Kangra, Himachal. The Mair Minhas of Chakwal, and Minhas Rajas from Pindi are descendants of Jammu Manhas clan. Raja Pervez Ashraf from Gujar Khan is a Minhas.

And Potohari language sounds a bit like Dogri(I saw some video). In Potohar Hindko like dialects are often spoken too, but this is the standard Potohari:

What does it sound like?

Jatt please watch these punjabis from Gujrat, start from 8:00. Do they look like punjabis to you? To me they do, at least Pakistani punjabis from where i come from. Also post exemple of how punjabis are supposed to look since its a diverse ethnic group. Don't expect sikh pags in our punjab.

@Shahmir i have no idea what they are doing in this video. I guess this is what deobandis and wahabis hate? Lol

only a couple look like Punjabis which I am used to as people... forget pagg Punjabi people which I am used to look like these.

Back
Top Bottom