What's new

The new missile? The so called "modified Harpoon".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why no buyer (including Pakistan) dont do such silly things. As I said Pak has already offered US for mutual inspection will decrease their doubt.

Yup...thats a great effort.:tup:..anyways the missiles are some two decade old .:blink:..and there is a possibility that they were opened for maintenance..:agree:..and Americans think...that they lost money..:bunny:...that they could have made out of maintenance ...:cry:..so they thought of this plan to make sure that Pakistan Dolls out money to American defense manufacturers ..:flame:.. by way of Maintenance contracts...:pop:

Just found this news item:

Harpoon modifications threatens India-Pak ties: US

Washington: The illegal modifications in the anti-ship Harpoon missiles is a provocative and destabilising action by Islamabad and threatenes the "delicate" India-Pakistan ties, an influential US lawmaker has said.

"If (recent media reports are) true, the modification of these missiles would be a violation of the Arms Export Control Act. In addition, this would be yet another provocative and destabilising action which threatens the delicate relationship between India and Pakistan," Congressman Edward Markey has said.

Amidst reports appearing in the US media, which has been confirmed by the US Administration, that Pakistan has illegally modified the American-made Harpoon missiles to expand its striking capability, Markey, sought off a letter to the Secretary of State Hillary Clinton expressing his concern.

Though Islamabad has denied the charges, the US has said that it has entered into an agreement with Pakistan for a mutually agreed inspection of the missiles in questions.

Markey, founder of the House Bipartisan Task Force on Nonproliferation, in a letter to Clinton sought information on published reports that Pakistan may have illegally modified US-exported Harpoon missiles to give them a land-attack capability.

"The nascent nuclear arms race between India and Pakistan is extraordinarily worrisome, as both countries appear to be increasing their ability to manufacture weapons," Markey wrote in the letter.

Harpoon modifications threatens India-Pak ties: Markey

again we see the true color of Uncle Sam.
three cheers China

Even If you suppose pakistan has modified harpoon Then Its a worry for you guys not India.. Your future aid's will be in trouble as its a provocative act, India is just worried about Their aid being used against us when they are supposed to be used against taliban and other militant group Living in pakistan.

And India does not overpurchase, just what its GDP permits...

First, do we even know that whether this report has any truth in it. NY times is not a very credible source especially when it comes to Pakistan. Block 2 came straight from US(delivered started some years ago,unlike the previous blocks delivered in 80s) with the land attack capability.Check the Boeing site.We never needed to modify them. It already had that capability.This fact was clearly ignored by the new york times and the "defence experts" they consulted.

Why should we modify Harpoon if we have ra'ad with much greater range for this very purpose.Its not that harpoons give us some extra capability.

We would rather modify C-602s if we are to modify something. We have them and surely the chinese won't mind. But we don't have the need to modify them because it also does not provide any extra advantage.

We have Ra'ad ALCM (350 KM) and Babur GLCM (700 km).Soon Pakistan will have submarine launched babur. We don't have the need to modify harpoons. This is why Pakistan agreed for mutual inspection after this allegation.

Well, you sound believable and I am no expert in missiles. But I know the Americans very well. In their minds, now, I am afraid you have copied Harpoon. Going forward, expect even tighter restrictions on their exports.

This is the once reason I dont want India to chose F16, F/A 18 for MMRCA. Russian hardware is not reliable but their character sure is.

But I know the Americans very well. In their minds, now, I am afraid you have copied Harpoon.
Its not about whats 'in their minds' but what the inspections of the Harpoon inventory, if it goes ahead, will show.

Not a big deal ..if Pakistan alters some technology sold to it many yrs back

Not a big deal ..if Pakistan alters some technology sold to it many yrs back

In terms of violation of contract it is a big deal, though in a practical sense it isn't really.

But we'll find out I suppose.

"lets suppose Pakistan has modified harpoon"

the answer in my eyes is simple, stop its production right now and concentrate on newer technology. We don't need 80s technology anymore, just concentrate on better indegeneious versions :D

@Topic: (lets suppose Pakistan has modified harpoon)
Why would Pakistan do such a thing. I think we have better things to do than to alter an old technology. We might be a case of reverse engineering but altering is totally different story.

Harpoon is a great tactical antiship missile the claims however that we have modifies or got it modifies especially from the chinese is something to ponder upon!! Harpoon basically is designed a variable launch platform vehicle & no doubt about it that its mobile land version is already developed. However Pakistan may not have developes its land attack version because there occurs a great modifications in its physical structure which can really put Pakistan army in great perial of international copyrights
Do check out the images of harpoon versions lan & sea attacked

3a085c83d6b1709abdc3bd392671aa65.jpg

b50ca75bbbcb3e42ff8c65467146c0d5.jpg

Even If you suppose pakistan has modified harpoon Then Its a worry for you guys not India.. Your future aid's will be in trouble as its a provocative act, India is just worried about Their aid being used against us when they are supposed to be used against taliban and other militant group Living in pakistan.

And India does not overpurchase, just what its GDP permits...

Come on Y we worry.
We survived before in sanctions time.....and......we will survive in future also (Inshallah).

Second thing .....there is no worry coz Pakistan PM,COAS, CONS invited US for mutual inspection.......means there are open and they should be coz Pakistan havent done any thing wrong.

Its all propoganda. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
stupid allegation! If a country can modify navigation, seeker technology and can add more fuel and explosive to a missel (as USA said in case of Harpoon) then that country can also develop a new missel and that exactly pakistan did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom