What's new

The new missile? The so called "modified Harpoon".

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatsequence

Reaction score
OK lets suppose pakistan has modified harpoon. If so what will be the capability of this new missile and what will be its role.

OK lets suppose pakistan has modified harpoon. If so what will be the capability of this new missile and what will be its role.

First, its hard to believe it has been modified it. If it has been, won't help much, as they are talking about 80s Harpoon, which has much less range & the warhead isn't powerful enough.

Pakistan go ahead to US for inspection of the inventory clearly means PN has not modified them, if they had they would not allow US to inspect.

The report from US mentions below.

Whatever their origin, the missiles would be a significant new entry into Pakistan’s arsenal against India. They would enable Pakistan’s small navy to strike targets on land, complementing the sizable land-based missile arsenal that Pakistan has developed. That, in turn, would be likely to spur another round of an arms race with India that the United States has been trying, unsuccessfully, to halt. “The focus of our concern is that this is a potential unauthorized modification of a maritime antiship defensive capability to an offensive land-attack missile,” said another senior administration official, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matter involves classified information.

If you upgrade the navigation and seeker technology, increase fuel capacity (new missile body?) or upgrade the rocket motors, and design a more powerful and/or lighter warhead - that's pretty much a new missile is it not ....

The indians should first research more on what Block 2 can do before commenting.I mean why modify harpoons if the block 2 already have that capability.

The indians should first research more on what Block 2 can do before commenting.I mean why modify harpoons if the block 2 already have that capability.

Pakistan has built it on top of Harpoon. Nothing wrong with that. All countries;all; leverage engineering designs. I am an engineer and I must say that it is quite foolish actually to do things from scratch. Copying is dumb, leveraging is smart.

Having said that, the problem here is that by doing this, Pakistan has violated its contract with US who mandate EUMA.

If you upgrade the navigation and seeker technology, increase fuel capacity (new missile body?) or upgrade the rocket motors, and design a more powerful and/or lighter warhead - that's pretty much a new missile is it not ....

Well......not if you have purchased the contraption from US in the first place, you have your EULA and EU verifications on site as part of that .....:thinktank: (now this smiley has champion written on it in Russian)

anyways Harpoon was delivered to Pakistan ..... as anti-ship missile (and now US can not say they gave for anti-Taliban operations here) ... so whats the big deal if Pakistan did modify them to hit land targets instead of ships? In either case the intended enemy is India .... so you hit land or sea ... same difference

Having said that, the problem here is that by doing this, Pakistan has violated its contract with US who mandate EUMA.

That would depend upon whether the physical basis for the improved missiles are actually the Block I Harpoons, with modified seeker/guidance technology, instead of a copy of the Harpoon with improved range and seekers/guidance system.

First, do we even know that whether this report has any truth in it. NY times is not a very credible source especially when it comes to Pakistan. Block 2 came straight from US(delivered started some years ago,unlike the previous blocks delivered in 80s) with the land attack capability.Check the Boeing site.We never needed to modify them. It already had that capability.This fact was clearly ignored by the new york times and the "defence experts" they consulted.

Why should we modify Harpoon if we have ra'ad with much greater range for this very purpose.Its not that harpoons give us some extra capability.

We would rather modify C-602s if we are to modify something. We have them and surely the chinese won't mind. But we don't have the need to modify them because it also does not provide any extra advantage.

We have Ra'ad ALCM (350 KM) and Babur GLCM (700 km).Soon Pakistan will have submarine launched babur. We don't have the need to modify harpoons. This is why Pakistan agreed for mutual inspection after this allegation.

Pakistan has built it on top of Harpoon. Nothing wrong with that. All countries;all; leverage engineering designs. I am an engineer and I must say that it is quite foolish actually to do things from scratch. Copying is dumb, leveraging is smart.

So far no proves that Pakistan have modified or violated them, so plz dont flame.

The report from US mentions below.

I am adding more to your quote from same article

Some experts are also skeptical of the American claims. Robert Hewson, editor of Jane’s Air-Launched Weapons, a yearbook and Web-based data service, said the Harpoon missile did not have the necessary range for a land-attack missile, which would lend credibility to Pakistani claims that they are developing their own new missile. Moreover, he said, Pakistan already has more modern land-attack missiles that it developed itself or acquired from China.

Reference Link:U.S. Says Pakistan Made Changes to Missiles Sold for Defense

Good question.....:tup:

Let me comment honestly.....:angel:

If pakistan has modified missiles..:azn:.which I believe is just a rumor.....:agree: American weapons will be hard to get...:eek:..because ....each and every defense purchase from America goes in for a clearance in American senate...and if those people decide to stand by their Laws ..which tye are very likely to do...:eek:.they can very well stop any further sale of American equipment to Pakistan...:pop:

One thing more that Pakistan have invited US for joint inspection for PN Harpoons.

It will clear every thing "Dhooodh ka dhoodh oar pani ka pani".

This offer have already satisfied US that those harpoons are not modified.

Good question.....:tup:

Let me comment honestly.....:angel:

If pakistan has modified missiles..:azn:.which I believe is just a rumor.....:agree: American weapons will be hard to get...:eek:..because ....each and every defense purchase from America goes in for a clearance in American senate...and if those people decide to stand by their Laws ..which tye are very likely to do...:eek:.they can very well stop any further sale of American equipment to Pakistan...:pop:

Thats why no buyer (including Pakistan) dont do such silly things. As I said Pak has already offered US for mutual inspection, which already decreased their doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom