What's new

The Need of Sino-Japanese Correspondence in the 21st Century: Is there an Empirical Validation ?

I would not claim that this scenario would emerge immediately, but we need to coldly examine reality: China is ascendant, and the US is stagnating. China can focus on Asia, while the US must put out fires all over the world. China-Japan trade volume dwarfs US-Japan trade volume.

If the situation continues as is, by definition, this realignment cannot take place. But just as the US surrendered some power in order to create a US-centric world order (UN, IMF, World Bank, WTO, etc.), it is not inconceivable that one day China will feel strong enough, and secure enough, to do the same. And it's likely at that point that China will tower over even the US economically, which will make China's gravitational pull irresistible. What are now US satellites will become Chinese satellites, out of sheer economic necessity.

I even started a thread called The Road to War (Part III) to track the early indications that this is happening. Witness the American struggle to bring our allies (including Japan) on-side to enforce sanctions against Iran, which look like they will imminently crumble. Observe the European resistance to implementing severe sanctions against Russia, because they have no alternative to Russian oil and gas.

I can imagine the scenario I posted above because the US world order is already in its sunset. It is no longer a question of whether the current security order in East Asia will be maintained, because the US is already strained to the breaking point. My question, directed at @Chinese-Dragon and @Nihonjin1051 , was whether circumstances would dictate a Glasnost/Perestroika between China and Japan in the wake of these changes, or if the vacuum left by the US would create further hostility and instability. @andy_hujian hinted at this in discussing the Chinese perception of America's role vis-a-vis Japan (instigator or suppressor).

Yeah i get your point bro. Yes its true i agree that China will eventually surpass the U.S economically in a decade or two from now, giving its low per capital GDP and large room for growth/potential. However having a higher GDP alone wont make China the worlds super power. The U.S relies on its allies to maintain its supremacy in the world. The U.S has allies virtually everywhere from South America, Canada, mexico, to Europe, to Asia to middle east etc. It also has large military bases in virtually every continent/corner of the globe. This allows it to take actions to protect it interests/install favorable pro U.S governments and deter potential rivals/hostile leaders towards it. Also the U.S still has a huge lead technologically, financially(legal institutions/market/stock exchange),Education(the best Uni in the world which attracts the best Chinese, Indian, russian talents) and cultural hegemony which dominates/influences virtually every country including China(just look at the movies dominating their country its all american, they had to impose foreign movies screening restrictions for a reason) etc.... The lead the U.S has wont be surpass by mere GDP alone(though it will be a big leap for China if./when it achives that).

So that's why i said U.S influence/dominance won't collapse just because China will have a bigger GDP than the U.S , it will require much more than that. It will require them to move to high end manufacturing, better educational facilities/Universities, liberalize it financial markets(which are still very backward, their biggest tech companies cant even list in their own country), invest more in science and technology(should be a priority), allow more freedom of expressions(which will allow their citizens to be more free to take more risks especially in movies and cultural industries), and try to forge better relations with its neighbours, etc.

Last edited:
The history problem between China and Japan is not the real problem, in the late 1970’s and 80’s, the relation between the two countries were very good, but how come the history even become more hot with the time passes by?

Japan is under the occupation of the USA, must carry out the duty to contain China. You can see how Japan has to side with the USA to sanction Russia right now, this is clearly against Japan’s own interests, but Japan has to do it.

China needs peaceful time to develop the country in all fields, a good relationship with Japan is good for China, a bad relation with Japan also not bad for China, any way China is the one mostly benefited in this world order, after 20 or 25 years of time, maybe China will have a very good relationship with Japan again, but Japan does not have a independent foreign policy, so when ever Japan feels uncomfortable with a foreign country, Japan can’t blame the other countries.

Ni hao ma @DMF
The relations between both Japan and China were relatively warm during the 1980s, all throughout the 1990s, and into the early 2000s.In fact, if we are to examine the relationship between Japan in China through the lens of Communication Arts, we see that Country Image and Cultural Proximity are two independent variables that should led to positive image.

Country Image is defined as the picture, reputation, and stereotypes that consumers attach to products from a specific country. Factors that account for a country's image may be based on education and personal experience, but many people also generate a country image through he perceptions that they receive in large part through media. Positive media image of peoples, places will lead to public positive perception on aforementioned places. But if media portrayal is negative, and on vindictive tones, then that will also influence public perception. The Principle of Cultural Proximity is defined as the nationally or locally produced material that is closer to and more reinforcing of traditional identities, based on regional, ethic, dialectic religious elements.

If we are to examine the Japanese media's portrayal of Chinese Government and Chinese people, it usually will focus on the sensationalized anti-Japan protests, the Senkakus border intrusions and even focusing on minor radicals in China venting for a militant revenge on Japan. If we are to examine Chinese media's portrayal of Japan it will focus on Yasukuni shrine visits, past war crimes by long dead Japanese soldiers, and excessive reiteration of the atrocities of war. So we see that both the Country Image of both regarding China and Japan in each other's inverse media are focusing only on negative qualities, right? So what do you think will happen to public perception ? It will naturally negate. So I believe that media sources in Japan and China need to abate , reduce their drum wars, their ethnocentrism. Rather, should focus on commonality , areas of mutual interests, areas of agreement, and the cultural proximity. Remember that politicians are influenced by the whims of the public, so national policy is to some degree influenced and affected by constituencies (and media).

If Japanese and Chinese media alter their strategies , I have no doubt that cooperation can be induced. In fact, its only natural given the cultural proximity of both Japanese and Chinese civilizations.

Best,
@Nihonjin1051

Reference:
Yoo, J., Jo, S., & Jung, J. (2014). The Effects Of Television Viewing, Cultural Proximity, And Ethnocentrism On Country Image. Social Behavior And Personality, 42(1), 89-96.

Last edited:
Yeah i get your point bro. Yes its true i agree that China will eventually surpass the U.S economically in a decade or two from now, giving its low per capital GDP and large room for growth/potential. However having a higher GDP alone wont make China the worlds super power. The U.S relies on its allies to maintain its supremacy in the world. The U.S has allies virtually everywhere from South America, Canada, mexico, to Europe, to Asia to middle east etc. It also has large military bases in virtually every continent/corner of the globe. This allows it to take actions to protect it interests/install favorable pro U.S governments and deter potential rivals/hostile leaders towards it. Also the U.S still has a huge lead technologically, financially(legal institutions/market/stock exchange),Education(the best Uni in the world which attracts the best Chinese, Indian, russian talents) and cultural hegemony which dominates/influences virtually every country including China(just look at the movies dominating their country its all american, they has to impose foreign movies screening restrictions for a reason) etc.... The lead the U.S has wont be surpass by mere GDP alone(though it will be a big leap for China if./when it achives that).

So that's why i said U.S influence/dominance wont collapse just because China will have a nigger GDP than the U.S , it will require much more than that. It will require them to move to high end manufacturing, better educational facilities/Universities, liberalize it financial markets(which are still very backward, their biggest tech companies cant even list in their own country), invest more in science and technology(should be a priority), allow more freedom of expressions(which will allow their citizens to be more free to take more risks especially in movies and cultural industries), and try to forge better relations with its neighbours, etc.

I agree with you in the sense that you are describing the world as it is now, but all of these problems can be solved by China with enough time and money. Indeed, the cultural influence of China cannot be overestimated, with its history, its culture, and even its writing system shaping the identity of its neighbors.

That is Asia. Now let's look at Europe, and conduct a thought experiment: gun to the head, does Germany choose the US, or Russia/China? I am no longer confident that the answer is the US (German dependence on Russian oil and gas, German trade with China, the NSA scandal, etc.). Lose Germany, and lose Europe. That is the majority of the US sphere of influence gone, in an instant. That is also why the US has not been turning the screws too hard on Europe to follow its sanctions programs (including Iran, we know Germany and France are itching to do business there). The US is uncertain about Germany's choice if Germany is backed into a corner.

In short, we are on the knife's edge, here, and I am not as confident as you are that the US has decades still to turn the situation back in its favor.

By the way, apologies for the lack of my usual charts and data, but I am on a business trip and using a tablet for PDF, so I can't be bothered to overcome the technical limitations. I would be happy to expand on this more concretely when I get back.

I agree with you in the sense that you are describing the world as it is now, but all of these problems can be solved by China with enough time and money. Indeed, the cultural influence of China cannot be overestimated, with its history, its culture, and even its writing system shaping the identity of its neighbors.

That is Asia. Now let's look at Europe, and conduct a thought experiment: gun to the head, does Germany choose the US, or Russia/China? I am no longer confident that the answer is the US (German dependence on Russian oil and gas, German trade with China, the NSA scandal, etc.). Lose Germany, and lose Europe. That is the majority of the US sphere of influence gone, in an instant. That is also why the US has not been turning the screws too hard on Europe to follow its sanctions programs (including Iran, we know Germany and France are itching to do business there). The US is uncertain about Germany's choice if Germany is backed into a corner.

In short, we are on the knife's edge, here, and I am not as confident as you are that the US has decades still to turn the situation back in its favor.

By the way, apologies for the lack of my usual charts and data, but I am on a business trip and using a tablet for PDF, so I can't be bothered to overcome the technical limitations. I would be happy to expand on this more concretely when I get back.

Yes i know China's culture influenced the whole east Asia from Vietnam to korea to Japan(both even derived their writing system from China). However, we are talking about the new China today not the old one. True the old one was indeed by far the pre-eminent power in Asia and had the largest naval fleet in its period. But the new one has yet to prove its true potential/influence towards its neighbours. Its hasn't yet shown its cultural influence in the region(maybe due to its closed censorship system, where even good artists/movie promoters cant make some certain types of movies/scenes/books etc which indeed could have turned out to be blockbusters etc).

As for Germany theres no denying it will be with the U.S/Western camp for a longggg time to come, same with Japan. for the simple reason that the U.S still has a huge military presence there, which isn't about to change anytime soon(short of a revolution, which we know won't happen.lol).

Last edited:
Yes i know Chinas culture influenced the whole east Asia from Vietnam to korea to Japan(both even derived their writing system from China). However, we are talking about the new China today not the old one. True the old one was indeed by far the preeminent power in Asia and has the largest naval fleet in its period. But the new one has yet to prove its true potential/influence towards its neighbours. Its hasn't yet shown its cultural influence in the region(maybe due to its closed censorship system, where even good artists/movie promoters cant make some certain types of movies/scenes/books etc which indeed could have turned out to be blockbusters etc).

As for Germany theres no denying it will be with the U.S/Western camp for a longggg time to come, same with Japan. for the simple reason that the U.S still has a huge military presence there, which isn't about to change anytime soon(short of a revolution, which we know won't happen.lol).

China never had the intention to challange US dominance globally, only in east asia region, and that is a huge difference as traditionally China would always be careful not to face overextension in region far away from immediate border, and US would be facing different crisis on several fronts all at the same time (and they are likely to get worse). With Russia at the back, shifty korea and the most of ASEAN who still wary against the idea of pivotal US using the region as confrontational testing ground, containment of China would be all but impossible. In the end the new multipolar world order which as the goal of China was meant to be supported by all upstart developing nations across the world, africa, south america, western and southern asia and maybe even in europe, since the current world order is horribly unbalanced for quite some time in time all new powers would naturally want their fair share of right and say in the new system, independent of american led alliance. So when China rise up for real it will be in coordination with others and the US & Co. will likely not have the luxury of facing a lonely challanger. Of course it doesnt have to end up in millitary conflict (although quite possible) but in time the ever shifting reality in global political balance has to be accepted one way or the other, as it has always been the case.

LOOL Im afraid its pure fantasy bro. So you think Japan will alow China to take the initiative and be some sort of leader In Asia? lool Nope never. Moreover, Japan is firmly allied with the U.S, not only Japan but most of Asia as well. So from where will China find members that will cooperate with it the said projects you mentioned?lol
This is without taking into consideration the U.S reaction to such a project/agenda. The U.S still has by far the largest influence/Leverage in Asia, So it will rightly block any such moves by China to establish such projects. As for 'Asia for Asians', with all due respect, i cant help but laugh.lol More like Asia for the U.S.:usflag::D
Afterall, even countries who asked the U.S to leave like the philippines are now inviting the U.S back in, Vietnam is also considering such an option in future, Japan and south Korea have been so for decades, Australia just signed one with the U.S, Singapore has allowed U.S planes to some of its facilities since the 1990s, Malaysia is considering following suite, Guam ,military relationship with Taiwan, then theres Diego Garcia base in Indian Ocean, bases in Pakistan/afghanistan etc The U.S is virtually Omni present in Asia. So to dislodge it from this region will be a hugeeeee task, which i dont see happening in this century, since most of these countries don't have any issues with U.S presence/dominance in their respective country/region, contrary to China which they instead see as the main threat.:D Call it the effect of 'western propaganda' all you want, but that's politics, dirty tricks are allowed as far as furthering your interests are concerned.:enjoy:

As I mentioned in the article, Japan and China have competition in the world market , ranging from electronics, marketing, research to name just a few sectors.

The competition between Japan and China in these sectors is healthy because it keeps prices low, as well as provides an incentive for an increase in innovative power, as well as increase the drive to improve. Intergovernmental competition also allows governments to seek out new ways to improve policy making, examine legislature, and improve the communication in the diplomatic channels. Clearly it is evident that East Asia is "too small" for either Japan, China and even South Korea.

That's a good thing because if these three entities focus on intra-regional affairs and enact policies of hegemony, then that would increase friction. On the contrary, what we see happening on the ground is that Japan is venturing outside of its immediate sphere, into Southeast Asia, into South Asia, into the Pacific, into Australia & New Zealand, into Latin America, Africa and the Middle East. These are areas that have largely been under the radar of Japan for the past 2-3 decades as the traditional partner included North America (U.S , Canada), and Europe.

China, too, has expanded out of its traditional sphere of interests, which was normally in East Asia, to an extent Southeast Asia. China has, through innovative and intercultural awareness processes, expanded heavily in Africa, the Middle East, South America and also into Europe. It is evident that, which I had mentioned in my original article post, as China and Japan cooperate with each other through political and economic channels, it will send a signal to the world that will indicate stability.

The territorial issues regarding Japan and China can be overcome, just as how Russia and the United States have a framework in regards to Russian bombers' exercises to the Alaskan-Californian air space region. There are established protocols that allow the Russians to do their job and the American Air Force to ensure its own territorial integrity has not been breached. Everyone goes home happy.

Japan and China must reach a similar platform.

Last edited:
So when China rise up for real it will be in coordination with others and the US & Co. will likely not have the luxury of facing a lonely challanger. Of course it doesnt have to end up in millitary conflict (although quite possible) but in time the ever shifting reality in global political balance has to be accepted one way or the other, as it has always been the case.

Precisely. And I think I've discussed this in another thread with @LeveragedBuyout in the past. The United States has vested interests in China, just as much as Japan is vested in China. And I think that a culture that cultivates a healthy, transparent rapport between the aforementioned powers is a necessity. The United States and Japan (and I am emphasizing Japan in this) need to bridge differences by encouraging China to take part in regional forums, inviting them to build a culture of trust and transparency.

For us Japanese , understanding the equation of China requires us to understand two tiers of variables: 1) the Chinese people and 2) the Chinese Political Economy. Understanding the vagaries of the CPC spectrum , its relation to the PLA, its relation to the Politburo's Communication Wing is imperative to developing and establishing a strategy to communicate with China. Japanese politicians , especially research think tanks need to further understand the political economy of China. (I reiterate, Japanese think tanks need to take into consideration CPC Political Economy). This way have an idea on how the Chinese side will react, will interpret issues. Prediction is key here. And the same applies, as well, to China's understanding of Japanese Political Economy.

Critical to this is rapport. Both Japan and China need to work on this. And this is why many Japanese analysts are waiting to see the interaction of both Xi Jinping and Abe. If all goes well then we will see positive developments in this so called Multilayered Intergovernmentalism Approach.

Precisely. And I think I've discussed this in another thread with @LeveragedBuyout in the past. The United States has vested interests in China, just as much as Japan is vested in China. And I think that a culture that cultivates a healthy, transparent rapport between the aforementioned powers is a necessity. The United States and Japan (and I am emphasizing Japan in this) need to bridge differences by encouraging China to take part in regional forums, inviting them to build a culture of trust and transparency.

For us Japanese , understanding the equation of China requires us to understand two tiers of variables: 1) the Chinese people and 2) the Chinese Political Economy. Understanding the vagaries of the CPC spectrum , its relation to the PLA, its relation to the Politburo's Communication Wing is imperative to developing and establishing a strategy to communicate with China. Japanese politicians , especially research think tanks need to further understand the political economy of China. (I reiterate, Japanese think tanks need to take into consideration CPC Political Economy). This way have an idea on how the Chinese side will react, will interpret issues. Prediction is key here. And the same applies, as well, to China's understanding of Japanese Political Economy.

Critical to this is rapport. Both Japan and China need to work on this. And this is why many Japanese analysts are waiting to see the interaction of both Xi Jinping and Abe. If all goes well then we will see positive developments in this so called Multilayered Intergovernmentalism Approach.

My friend Nihonji san....I've heard too much already of the same 'cooperation/partnership'/rapport stuffs between Japan and China already.:drag: to be honest its getting really boring...:lazy:. Im yet to see any improvements in relations between the two. in fact things are/will get even worse with each passing year. Since i dont see Japan ever acknowledging its war crimes/stop visits to Yakushini, neither do i see China and South Korea ever accepting such visits and forgiving(or making use of it for political gains). So expect us to be discussing the same issue in 2024.:unsure:

On the bright side, its good to see the economic relationship between the two hasn't really been affected by this historical/terroritorial and war crimes issues unlike in South Asia where India and Pakistan hardly trade at all. Good to see you still has some good wishes of partnership for even your rival country China. Though i dont think many Japanese(and even Chinese) hold same point of view like you do.:D

Nice article but what existed before the seal ?

I would be interested to know the oldest record of contact between the China Main land and Japanese Island

People say that people must migrated across Asia , so how what kind of old records exist beyond the Seal which you pointed was 7 AD

@LeveragedBuyout ,@mike2000
The US is at its Strategic Contraction, shown by its defence budget cuts, withdraw from ME, and even the rebalance to Asia strategy. People might not realize that the slight defence budget cuts is equivalent to the total defence budget of a small and even medium country. The tiny strategic movement of USA leave a huge power vacuum,and has huge effect on the geo-politics throughout the world. Some countries have already took advantage of it, such as China, Iran, Russia, and for some extent, Japan, why not? Some countries (US allies) such as Saudi, Israel, S Korea and Germany will likely to diversify its reliance.

The Ukraine crisis is a perfect example, the west may not be as united as many people think, Germany and France are not serious about the sanction, UK can only sanction Russia by banning rich Russians to buy luxury goods and properties, and u know what? It just helps the power consolidation for Putin. No one seriously think EU’s ten thousands rapid reaction force would mean something for a country like Russia? Ukraine is just a start, think about the three countries in baltic sea(Estonia,Latvia and Lithuania),look at how close Kaliningrad(Russia) from Belorussia(puppet of Russia), one day trip for Russia tank force right? U now understand why Poland is crying so hard, and why Hillary went to Estonia in April. here is a map.
the-baltic-sea0.gif

And if Russia pushes Germany too hard, they may even come up with some kind of agreement and become ally eventually, I would not be surprised if Germany and Russia carve Poland up again. Poor Poland. :rolleyes:Yes, weak nations been traded like prostitute throughout the history.

The so called rebalance to Asia strategy is not been taken seriously by US, all the countries know that (not sure about Philippines though), the rebalancing is not about US putting its military assets to Asia, but to allow its allies to assume more responsibilities, in another words, they are on their own. The US knows that the direct confrontation with China is very risky and will not work, and they know China does not seek to undermine its global dominance, so they will give china more rooms, and they can make huge amount of money by selling arms to its allies. US have massive fleet of old fighters and warships waiting for retire,and the UAVs are extremely profitable, so why not?

Yes, basically all the Asian countries are US allies, but that is in peacetime,when the war between two big power comes( nearly impossible), I think most of china’s neighbors will stay neutral, u don’t want two big boy fighting in ur house do u? because whoever win the war, their country will be destroyed for sure. S Koren is smart because it had terrible experience, not sure about Vietnam.

I’m by no mean underestimating the strength of US, US is just taking a rest, it may rise again, who knows, but nations are like stock price up and down, empire rise and fall. US has so many good for china to learn, we are good student and learning fast. just my two cents.

Last edited:
@LeveragedBuyout ,@mike2000
The US is at its Strategic Contraction, shown by its defence budget cuts, withdraw from ME, and even the rebalance to Asia strategy. People might not realize that the slight defence budget cuts is equivalent to the total defence budget of a small and even medium country. The tiny strategic movement of USA leave a huge power vacuum,and has huge effect on the geo-politics throughout the world. Some countries have already took advantage of it, such as China, Iran, Russia, and for some extent, Japan, why not? Some countries (US allies) such as Saudi, Israel, S Korea and Germany will likely to diversify its reliance.

The Ukraine crisis is a perfect example, the west may not be as united as many people think, Germany and France are not serious about the sanction, UK can only sanction Russia by banning rich Russians to buy luxury goods and properties, and u know what? It just helps the power consolidation for Putin. No one seriously think EU’s ten thousands rapid reaction force would mean something for a country like Russia? Ukraine is just a start, think about the three countries in baltic sea(Estonia,Latvia and Lithuania),look at how close Kaliningrad(Russia) from Belorussia(puppet of Russia), one day trip for Russia tank force right? U now understand why Poland is crying so hard, and why Hillary went to Estonia in April. here is a map.
View attachment 94912
And if Russia pushes Germany too hard, they may even come up with some kind of agreement and become ally eventually, I would not be surprised if Germany and Russia carve Poland up again. Poor Poland. :rolleyes:Yes, weak nations been traded like prostitute throughout the history.

The so called rebalance to Asia strategy is not been taken seriously by US, all the countries know that (not sure about Philippines though), the rebalancing is not about US putting its military assets to Asia, but to allow its allies to assume more responsibilities, in another words, they are on their own. The US knows that the direct confrontation with China is very risky and will not work, and they know China does not seek to undermine its global dominance, so they will give china more rooms, and they can make huge amount of money by selling arms to its allies. US have massive fleet of old fighters and warships waiting to retire,and the UAVs are extremely profitable, so why not?

Yes, basically all the Asian countries are US allies, but that is in peacetime,when the war between two big power comes( nearly impossible), I think most of china’s neighbors will stay neutral, u don’t want two big boy fighting in ur house do u? because whoever win the war, their country will be destroyed for sure. S Koren is smart because it had terrible experience, not sure about Vietnam.

I’m by no mean underestimating the strength of US, US is just taking a rest, it may rise again, who knows, but nations are like stock price up and down, empire rise and fall. US has so many good for china to learn, we are good student and learning fast. just my two cents.

With some small differences, this is almost entirely in line with my thinking as well. Reality is shifting faster than the perception.

a good discussion. Yet, I still can't give any contribution to this thread. Let me learn more and when I understand enough and can give some contribution to the discussion, I'll join.

And for my friend Nihonjin, good article. I'm glad that I know the writer and discuss a lot of things with him in PDF.

I think today China is still not power enough to provide both economy and military to other countries..
US is still the only super power today..
Yet if China economy can grow another 20 years like current days, thing will be different.
China can offer both huge market and also military protection to Asia countries.
These countries don`t need to rely only on US.

The 2008 East China Sea Partnership: Application to the 2012 Sino-Japanese Maritime Row

By: @Nihonjin1051

Back in June of 2008 there were positive results of Japanese-Chinese Multilayered Intergovernmetalist approach to bridging differences in regards to territory in the East China Sea. After over three years of direct leadership consultation, Japan and China reached a Principled Consensus on the East China Sea. The Consensus consisted of three parts:

1. Cooperation between Japan and China in the East China Sea

2. Understanding Between China and Japan on Joint Development of the East China Sea

3. Understanding on the Participation of Japanese Legal Person in the Development of Chunxiao Oil and Gas Field in Accordance with Chinese Laws.

deb9c5bda70a5d96cba32e2d29202d3a.png

The Sino-Japanese cooperation; both sides had agreed to cooperation during the transitional period pending delimitation of their overlapping claims on the basis of not prejudicing the legal positions of either side. Both sides had also agreed to select, by mutual agreement, areas for joint development in the block under the principle of reciprocity. Shirakaba – Chunxiao oil and gas field was the area of contention for both sides. What should be known is that the Chinese side had invited Japan in developing the existing oil and gas field in accordance with Chinese Laws and granted reciprocity for Japan.

If we look at the diplomatic history of both China and Japan , in regards to maritime boundary, we see a very positive and collaborative spirit. One has to remember that Japan and China had passed the Provisional Measure Zone, which was established by the China-Japan 1997 Fisheries Agreement, and is bounded by straight lines joining seven points roughly rectangular in shape.

I want to reiterate that the 2008 China-Japan Consensus on the East China Sea Issue is very significant for both nations because it eases the maritime disputes that existed between both Japan and China. And it is conducive to peace and stability in the East China Sea. The recent maritime row between Japan and China is due to the Japan’s Nationalization of the Senkaku Islands and territories that were included in the 2008 China-Japan Consensus of the East China Sea. The 1997 Fisheries Agreement between Japan and China as well as the recent 2008 China-Japan Consensus of the East China Sea were all products of the Multilayered Intergovernmentalist approach, which allowed both Chinese Leadership and Japanese Leadership to find consensual agreement on areas of contention. And it has largely been quite successful, given the paucity of disagreements between Bejing and Tokyo prior to 2012. It is apparent that when both leaderships are affixed on resolving issues, they are readily addressed.

One thing that Japan has to understand is the sensitivity of the Chinese side in regards to any unilateral action on the Japanese side. In fact, prior to the Nationalization of the Senkakus, there were practically no violent protests or official Chinese government response lambasting Japanese policy on said islands. The Chinese leadership was insulted on the Japanese side of nationalizing the islands , despite the fact that Japan already had de-facto control and administration of the area. The recent flyover of Chinese maritime spy planes into the Senkakus, and sporadic intrusion of Chinese Maritime Surveillance Ships are a recent phenomenon , and were a reaction to Tokyo’s unilateral proclamation. So, in this regard, Japanese Leadership needs to understand that the Chinese response is a reactive formation and thus it should be the Japanese side to approach China and bridge these differences.

Reference:
Arima, A. (2013). Importance of international cooperation especially between China and Japan. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1533(1), 5-12. doi:10.1063/1.4806770

Gao, J. (2009). A Note on the 2008 Cooperation Consensus Between China and Japan in the East China Sea. Ocean Development & International Law, 40(3), 291-303. doi:10.1080/00908320903077100

Yeah i get your point bro. Yes its true i agree that China will eventually surpass the U.S economically in a decade or two from now, giving its low per capital GDP and large room for growth/potential. However having a higher GDP alone wont make China the worlds super power. The U.S relies on its allies to maintain its supremacy in the world. The U.S has allies virtually everywhere from South America, Canada, mexico, to Europe, to Asia to middle east etc.
yet Russia is now chinas number 1 ally? how did that happened? China will slowly but surly build alliances around the world which will overshadow the American ones.

f753a862ac76e8af61dc3460735f662b.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom