What's new

The Need of Sino-Japanese Correspondence in the 21st Century: Is there an Empirical Validation ?

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
The Need of Sino-Japanese Correspondence in the 21st Century: Is there an Empirical Validation ?
de1332d049dbbe16cbfa1d2d10f2e676.jpg

By: @Nihonjin1051, Ph.Dc, M.S.

I. The Historical Link between Japan and China

178f7e8b3c037eab744c3dc118c3b7e3.jpg

The history of Japan and China has is long as well as it is being intertwined through the economic trade, cultural transmission, political and philosophical influence. China has had a direct pivotal role in helping mold and form the early Japanese identity which stems back to the Chinese ancient text known as the Book of Later Han. In this text, Emperor Guangwu of the Han Dynasty provided a golden seal to the early Yamato Clan. In fact this golden seal is referred to In Japan as the King of Na gold seal, and is held in a museum in the Japanese island of Kyushu in commemoration of this ancient political link between both civilizations. During the 7th century AD, the Imperial Japanese Court had initiated what is known as the Taika Reform.

The Taika reform encouraged Japan to build embassies in China as a way to establish proper diplomatic and political rapprochement between the said two entities, and this allowed Japanese students to go study in China. These students that had spent time in China’s Imperial Court and Chinese schools of philosophies allowed them to absorb new information back to Japan. It was through the Taika Reform that Japan brought back teachings of Buddhism, bureaucratic reforms, architectural traits, urban planning traits as well as Imperial court customs – which were then integrated into Japanese culture. One important and lingering Chinese imprint into Japanese society and culture is in the written language; the Japanese Kanji system is based on the Chinese classical characters known as Hanzi. There is , indeed, a cultural and historical commonality.

II. The Dynamic of Japan’s Interaction with East Asia

2d6d0640b67c09b233e50ed4be1e43d7.jpg

“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”

-George Orwell
The above aforementioned quote by Orwell takes into consideration how the future is influenced by the past events, and this is a poignant quotation in context of the Japanese and Chinese Equation. The history between Japan and China stretches back over 2 millennia, with formal representation taking place during the beginning of the 8th Century A.D. when Japanese Embassies were created throughout China as well as vice versa.

The marked cross straits interaction between Japan and China was positive with only four militant events; the 12th century war with the Yuan Dynasty and the subsequent attempts of the Mongols to invade Japan, the second was the 16th century Imjin War wherein the forces of Japan under the leadership of Hideyoshi Toyotomi, who was appointed as Kampaku or the Imperial Chancellor and thus the personal hand of the Emperor of Japan. Hideyoshi, who was named Daijo-daijin (Chief Minister) , initiated the unification of Japan and then subsequent mandate to conquer Korea with the goal to acquire the prize of China. The demise of Hideyoshi had led to the collapse of the struggle to conquer Korea , forcing a general retreat of Japanese forces from the Korean peninsula back into Japan proper , and thus would begin a dormant and introverted closed door policy. The 19th century ended with a brutal war between Imperial Japan and Qing Dynasty China known as the 1st Sino-Japanese War, which lasted from 1894 to 1895. The last conflict between China and Japan was the 2nd Sino-Japanese War, which ended in 1945.

The war left deep scars in both China and Japan. The sensitivities of domestic politics in China regarding Japan’s 2014 Collective Defense Principle and re-militarization is historically driven. Japanese should be more considerate of these reactions by the Chinese and approach the issue with an attempt to understand the psychology of the Chinese side and refrain from a defensive posture when reading Chinese media reaction.

III. Approaching China from a Cooperative Position

dd0adb4e35a5e444a85eeca3043fb90a.gif

It is important to focus on the positive developments, particularly when contrasting them with the tensions and the anti-Japanese demonstrations in China during the five years of the Koizumi era and also recently during the beginning of the Administration of Prime Minister Abe. In Japan there is a conviction that China very much needs Japan; be it to protect its foreign image as a peacefully developing country, to maintain its export and FDI-dependent economy, to reduce its energy consumption, to help cope with its environmental problems and that China is open to seeking compromise. Whether or not this is true or not, one thing that Chinese leaders and strategic planners should take into consideration is that Japan has a positive outlook towards China and maintains a policy of cooperation, eager almost, with China.

There are themes that Japan and China can both work on , ranging from Cross Straits Cooperation on Taiwan, addressing the claims in the East China Sea, as well as understanding and working with each other on China’s Ascendancy.

The disputes in the East China Sea are about the sovereignty of the Senkaku Islands (which is known by the Chinese as the Diayutai Islands) and the Exclusive Economic Zone between China and Japan, and the rivaling Air Defense Identification Zones of Japan and China. The solution of the EEZ issue between both countries is closely related to the sovereignty dispute as well as to an EEZ agreement between China and Kore and the ones with Japan and Korea, where there is rivaling claims in the norther part of the East China Sea. According to the United Nations Commission on the Limits of the Continent Shelf, there must be cooperation between the Governments of South Korea, Japan and China to declare the EEZ limits. In regards to the Senkaku Islands, Japan claims that there is no sovereignty dispute because it is in the comfortable position of having de facto control over them, which is refuted by China. Both countries also apply different principles to determine EEZ border between them. It is apparent that these issues are within the forefront of political contention between Tokyo and Beijing.

These issues just discussed have to be put in the context of the growing economic competition and political rivalry of the two countries. The phenomenal growth of China’s economy, which also owes a lot to Japan, had led to increased competition. While trade between the two countries in the 1980s was dominated by China selling natural resources and semi-finished products to Japan, trade is increasingly becoming an exchange of processed and manufactured goods, at an ever-increasing level of sophistication. Although Japan is still an important foreign direct investor in China, since the beginning of the new century, China had started, on a very modest scale, to invest in Japan. This is in order to acquire technology, brands, market access and marketing skills and includes the acquisition of distressed medium-sized Japanese companies. Both Japan and China have cross-straits vested interests within each other, ranging from domestic investment, which is now over $320 Billion.

China’s rise has undoubtedly presented new challenges to Japan and these have been articulated as part of the so called ‘China Threat’ discourse. That China threat debate is a broad term that generally refers to the popular academic discussions of the ways in which China posed potential risks to Japanese economic, security, and political interests. However, the discussion went beyond traditional military threat perceptions based on measurement of intentions and capabilities and encapsulated concerns about new uncertainties posed by China’s rapid development and modernization and how to respond to them.

To address these issues, Japanese leaders are now espousing Sino-Japanese policy consultation and coordination as a way to preserve regional peace and stability, such as in the Korean Peninsula, and as a way to abate any tensions between both countries’ EEZ claims and ADIZ claims. The contention is surmountable. We have to remember that in October 1992, Emperor Akihito of Japan had visited China, suggesting that the mistrust between China and Japan is surmountable and that the legacy of the past can be transcended by the two countries’ common interests. It is also important to recognize the special importance that Japan has attached to its relationship with China, despite the vagaries of politics. This said, development of greater rapprochements between Japan and China in the Taiwan issue, and economic commonalities will benefit both sides. The expected communication between China’s Xi Jinping and Japan’s Shinzo Abe will present opportunities for both sides to address common interests, as well as initiate mechanisms that will allow both Japan and China to find solutions to areas of disagreement.

Works Cited

Cheng, J. (2003). {Chinese-Japanese Relations in the Twenty-First Century}. Journal Of Contemporary Asia,

33(2), 279-282.
Drifte, R. (2009). The Future of the Japanese-Chinese Relationship: The Case for a Grand Political Bargain.

Asia-Pacific Review, 16(2), 55-74. doi:10.1080/13439000903371668
Rose, C. (2010). 'Managing China': risk and risk management in Japan's China policy. Japan Forum, 22(1/2),

149-168. doi:10.1080/09555803.2010.488950
Shuja, S. M. (2000). Tokyo-Beijing relations in the new millennium. Contemporary Review, 277(1618), 257-263.

Yoo, J., Jo, S., & Jung, J. (2014). The Effects Of Television Viewing, Cultural Proximity, And Ethnocentrism

On Country Image. Social Behavior And Personality, 42(1), 89-96.
杉浦//康之. (2009). 中国の「日本中立化」政策と対日情勢認識--日本社会党の訪中と日本国内の反米・反岸闘争

の相互連鎖(1958年6月~1959年6月). 近きに在りて, (56), 51-67.

@Chinese-Dragon , @Genesis , @ChineseTiger1986 , @LeveragedBuyout , @kalu_miah , @andy_hujian , @pokdo , @Red Mahura , @vostok , @BoQ77 , @Viet , @Peter C , @IsaacNewton , @dlclong @WebMaster , @Horus , @Slav Defence , @FaujHistorian , @Luftwaffe , @Indos , @Mugwop , @scorpionx , @nair , @sandy_3126 , @Ahmed Jo, @Kaan , @atatwolf , @asena_great , @Sinan , @Ravi Nair , @LeveragedBuyout , @Chinese-Dragon, @Joe Shearer , @vostok , @mike2000, @charon2, @flamer84 , @xxxKULxxx , @al-Hasani, @Hazzy997 , @Mosamania , @Arabian Legend , @JUBA, @Timur, @xenon54, @kalu_miah , @UKBengali , @BDforever , @Azeri440, @Europa , @DESERT FIGHTER, @AZADPAKISTAN2009 , @idune , @eastwatch , @500 , @tonyget , @tranquilium, @Chinese-Dragon , @Zero_win, @Cossack25A1 , @JayMandan , @Viet , @xesy , @Battle of Bach Dang River , @somsak , @Indos , @Brainsucker , @madokafc , @Cossack25A1 , @JayMandan , @BDforever

Last edited:
Wow, what a well-written article @Nihonjin1051. :cheers:

As for me I do not believe the China threat theory holds any water. In fact we are the ones who are in a defensive stance, you don't see any country in the world surrounded by Chinese military bases, we don't even have any overseas military bases. We are the ones who are surrounded by US military bases in every direction.

And we only spend 1.4% of our GDP on defence, almost the lowest in the world, even though we have the largest population in the world.

Vested interests are hyping up the China threat, in an attempt to manage and contain our economic rise. I really do not know what they will say when we shift into a higher gear in the coming years.

Wow, what a well-written article @Nihonjin1051. :cheers:

As for me I do not believe the China threat theory holds any water. In fact we are the ones who are in a defensive stance, you don't see any country in the world surrounded by Chinese military bases, we don't even have any overseas military bases. We are the ones who are surrounded by US military bases in every direction.

And we only spend 1.4% of our GDP on defence, almost the lowest in the world, even though we have the largest population in the world. And despite the fact that our Government budget is enormous and easily able to support a much higher rate of spending.

Vested interests are hyping up the China threat, in an attempt to manage and contain our economic rise. I really do not know what they will say when we shift into a higher gear in the coming years.

Nihao Ma @Chinese-Dragon ,

Prior to my joining of this website and discussion forum, I must admit that I had a very one sided view regarding China in the China-Japan equation. It has only been recently through the much valued intellectual discussion with many members here on Asia-Pacific issues ranging in political, economic themes that I had been compelled to research. My research finds that despite the media's lambasting (both Chinese and Japanese media) of both sides as being an aggressor, there have been past policy precedents that have shown promise to bridge the political threat perception.

China and Japan are economic , political rivals in a sense as that they compete with each other on the global economic stage ; but what I also find rather interesting is that the level of investments both have on each other. Japan had started investing and purchasing property in China starting in the 1980s, but what is also interesting is that recently starting in the 1990s, the Chinese were, too, buying up and Japanese equity. The burgeoning bilateral trade between Japan and China stands at $320 Billion per year, but this number does not include the rising number of Japanese real estate investors in China; and the Chinese real estate investors in Japan. It is becoming ever clear that as Japan and China's economic interdependence increases, so too must there be political will to resolve issues of contention.

Right now there are several problems that are beset both our countries: 1) EEZ rivaling claim, 2) ADIZ claim. However, instead of focusing on the problems and using that to beat the drums of divide, should be considered as a solvable problem. Afterall, I come from a position that a problem has one or two possible solutions. Abe and Xi are both sensitive to the opinions of the people , and right now the people's sensitivities on Japan-China is at an all time high. Undoubtedly blamed by the ultra-dramatic fanfare of media. Politicians , both Chinese and Japanese, must rise above these emotionally driven media reports and documentaries and exercise pragmatist approach and compromise. It has long been part of the Japanese psyche and nature to yearn for political compromise, a concept that has been espoused in Confucian literature, to which we Japanese were introduced to by the progenitors--the Chinese. So Compromise is part of our identity, part of our political nature. I think it is time for our politicians in Government to establish firm channels of communication and address and answer specific questions. It is time to throw away past political ambiguities , time to swallow the pride and sit down and find solutions.

China and Japan have had relations for over 2 thousand years. Even before there was a Roman Empire, British Empire, American Empire, Russian Empire, United Nations; there already was communication between China and Japan. There is no reason why the future cannot be as bright.

I remain,
@Nihonjin1051

some biases, well first, there's the invasion of Japan on Korea during Tang dynasty and the Korean three kingdoms, but Japan was primitive then and was easily brushed aside.

Then Hideoshi didn't collapse and thus the Korean war, but Korean war drained him and thus he collapsed. He was getting rocked on the seas and by the second invasion, he pretty much didn't make it too far.

To correct something else, WW2 left almost no scars on China, many, including my dad was surprised when the narrative was changed to find out the WW2 facts. China had long left those things behind, but there are other actors at work.

The shrine doesn't bother us so much as a war memorial, but it reminds us even today a nation of one hundred million is disregarding our feelings on sensitive matters. It especially irks us that the world order has us being the secondary nation. This is like US listening to Canada, I'm pretty sure the US leadership thought that was insane.

China and Japan needs to find a balance, we can divide Asia along with Korea amongst ourselves, and all expand outwards and let the chips fall where they may, or we are going to have to fight it out and see who's the strongest.

You still see the problems as Senkaku islands, I can tell you it is not. The islands and SCS is the last remaining reminder and proof that China was at one point beaten. China can easily give the island to Japan, if our objectives are met, you know what those are don't you.

Just as aside, Korea is as good as our ally, for the simple reason they won't ever admit they are weaker than Japan, they will concede to us, as we are a nation far bigger in size, but to you never seems to be the answer. I mean they won't go to war for us, but they also won't go to war against us, that's good enough for me.

The end question is how will Japan handle it when China regains our position as not only the undisputed nation in Asia, but challenging the world powers, which right now is just the US.

If present is any indication, not well.

Sounds arrogant, and maybe not the nicest post, but this is the problem before us, we can either solve it or ignore it.

Interesting side note, in Cantonese "Ni hao ma" is "Nei hou ma". Slightly different pronunciation. Both are fine for me though. :P

Prior to my joining of this website and discussion forum, I must admit that I had a very one sided view regarding China in the China-Japan equation. It has only been recently through the much valued intellectual discussion with many members here on Asia-Pacific issues ranging in political, economic themes that I had been compelled to research. My research finds that despite the media's lambasting (both Chinese and Japanese media) of both sides as being an aggressor, there have been past policy precedents that have shown promise to bridge the political threat perception.

From the opinion polls it does seem that both sides have a rather negative opinion of the other.

Abe and Xi are both sensitive to the opinions of the people , and right now the people's sensitivities on Japan-China is at an all time high. Undoubtedly blamed by the ultra-dramatic fanfare of media. Politicians , both Chinese and Japanese, must rise above these emotionally driven media reports and documentaries and exercise pragmatist approach and compromise.

This is a very important point. Neither Xi or Abe can afford to look like they are appeasing the other side. In fact appeals to nationalism are a very easy and time-tested way to gain a bit of extra political capital in times of need, and all politicians will do it if they feel it may benefit their cause.

It has long been part of the Japanese psyche and nature to yearn for political compromise, a concept that has been espoused in Confucian literature, to which we Japanese were introduced to by the progenitors--the Chinese. So Compromise is part of our identity, part of our political nature. I think it is time for our politicians in Government to establish firm channels of communication and address and answer specific questions. It is time to throw away past political ambiguities , time to swallow the pride and sit down and find solutions.

China and Japan have had relations for over 2 thousand years. Even before there was a Roman Empire, British Empire, American Empire, Russian Empire, United Nations; there already was communication between China and Japan. There is no reason why the future cannot be as bright.

I remain,
@Nihonjin1051

We can find a compromise.

The issue here is that countries like Japan and America are already established powers. China on the other hand is a rising power, this type of dynamic will always lead to instability in some form or the other. As it has always done throughout history.

Our main goal right now, both officially and unofficially, is economic development. That is the most important thing, for the welfare of our people and for the stability that it will bring. The developing world is full of chaos and violence, as we can see on the news every day. We need to jump the barrier and become a developed country, and perhaps others may learn that our rise does not need to cause fear or inspire attempts to further contain us.

The alternative is a self-fulfilling prophecy of mutual antagonism that may spiral into something much more dangerous in the future, not just for the region, but for the world and the entire global economy. Of course this is not a desirable outcome, and it is important to think about this long-term scenario when making decisions in the present.

Interesting side note, in Cantonese "Ni hao ma" is "Nei hou ma". Slightly different pronunciation. Both are fine for me though. :P

From the opinion polls it does seem that both sides have a rather negative opinion of the other.

This is a very important point. Neither Xi or Abe can afford to look like they are appeasing the other side. In fact appeals to nationalism are a very easy and time-tested way to gain a bit of extra political capital in times of need, and all politicians will do it if they feel it may benefit their cause.

We can find a compromise.

The issue here is that countries like Japan and America are already established powers. China on the other hand is a rising power, this type of dynamic will always lead to instability in some form or the other. As it has always done throughout history.

Our main goal right now, both officially and unofficially, is economic development. That is the most important thing, for the welfare of our people and for the stability that it will bring. The developing world is full of chaos and violence, as we can see on the news every day. We need to jump the barrier and become a developed country, and perhaps others may learn that our rise does not need to cause fear or inspire attempts to further contain us.

The alternative is a self-fulfilling prophecy of mutual antagonism that may spiral into something much more dangerous in the future, not just for the region, but for the world and the entire global economy. Of course this is not a desirable outcome, and it is important to think about the long-term scenario when making decisions in the present.

Nei hou ma :-)

While the legacy of World War II has caused mistrust between China and Japan, the two countries are making efforts to build mutual trust through bilateral dialogue.

I think that some of the older generation in Japan have a psychological issue with China's Ascendancy, this is because during their life they were used to the idea that it was Japan that was the economic leader , power house of Asia-Pacific. This has changed in 2010 when China had surpassed, eclipsed Japan as the 2nd largest economy in the entire civilized world.

But to us younger generation of Japanese, we realize and accept this. There are segments in Japanese population that sees positives of China, and realize that China is not only the preeminent economic power in Asia, but also one that has formidable military capability.

Many factors favor close relationship between Tokyo and Beijing. China has huge economic and cultural potential, and enjoys broad-based support from the developing world. China's SCO organization is an example of this. Japan is a strong economic and technological power, and plays an important role among the industrialized countries. Therefore, Sino-Japanese bilateral cooperation and interdependence are not only beneficial for the two countries and the Asia-Pacific region, they are also significant for promoting global cooperation and economic development.

Japan , like China, is a changing equation. The older generation that had took part in the Great Pacific War are dying. My grandfather, for example, who was a veteran of the Imperial Navy , is part of the dying generation. The new generation of Japanese who are in their 20-30s age range are taking up roles in business, politics, academia -- and all have a different view of China. The China they know is not a nation that is underdeveloped, plagued with civil war. The China we see and have come to know is a rising Great Power: economic and military.

We Japanese cannot afford to perpetuate the China Threat Theory that was espoused by the post-war Japanese generation, whom are either dead or dying. The China Threat Theory will only foster a culture and sentiment of wariness of China and thus cause political legislature being passed that is anti-thetical to peaceful compromise, peaceful dialogue. Rather, Japanese political leadership must implement a "Comprehensive China Approach Theory", wherein both sides must tone down the rhetoric, must entice a language of inclusivity. It is clear that Abe's recent excessive China Threat speech that this doesn't work. Abe and Leaders who will take on the helm after him should continue a policy for Japan's normalization, increase international cooperation, but should be corrigible to working with China. Japan simply cannot afford to ignore China.

We must find it psychologically possible to accept that China is a Great Power in Asia-Pacific. And mechanisms should be invested to foster greater positive communication with China's people, and most importantly China's Leadership. Japan can no longer afford to implement a policy of black and white. I believe that by doing so, China and Japan can find many ways solve regional and international exigencies in the event it arises.

Last edited:
I can't say much as this is about Japanese and Chinese relations from the ancient times, from the Han Dynasty China and Yayoi period Japan up to present but one thing is for sure, the culture of the Korean states, China, Taiwan and Japan are surely intertwined with one another.

I think Japan is just a piece in the puzzle of the "100 Years of Humiliation" that China is trying to "unwind". Understand their "unwind" goals and how they feel each goal can be met satisfactorily and you will find your answers.

I can't say much as this is about Japanese and Chinese relations from the ancient times, from the Han Dynasty China and Yayoi period Japan up to present but one thing is for sure, the culture of the Korean states, China, Taiwan and Japan are surely intertwined with one another.

There is no lie when the famous early 20th century Chinese scholar Liang Qichao once said, and I paraphrase, "If Japan wishes to look at the mirror, he will see an image of China."

What did Liang Qichao mean by this? In my personal opinion, Liang Qichao was telling not only Chinese academians of his day, but also indirectly telling Japanese of today that we, in regards to identity, are directly linked to the Chinese. Culturally we have a unique Japanese identity and culture, but it was greatly influenced by China, and to some extent Korea. But I will refer to China because Korean culture was also influenced by the progenitor -- China.

China is an ancient entity, my friend. Despite our national leaders' feelings in this epoch, perhaps even despite our personal biases toward China now (and I will not deny that I have some angst toward Chinese military folks), but it was through China that people came to present day Japan. In fact, the earliest 'Yayoi' came to Japan through Korean peninsula and China. And genetically speaking, Japanese share very strong haplo groups with Chinese and Koreans.

So, in recognition of Mr. Liang Qichao's wisdom, yes, he was right. That China is a reflection of Japan to some degree. Historically speaking, we cannot deny that absolute truth.

Brilliant article Nihojin. With the new world order slowly shifting towards East, traditional rivalries, ex-colonial scars have to be shelved for the sake of our future interest. A lot of people might not agree with me but historical arch enemies like India and Pakistan too have to rethink their doctrines of engagement with each other with a different glass now.

First thing, that we need to consider with all sincerity of a de-facto stalemate and interlinking our cities together with rail and road link and more interaction between the people through universities and small business opportunities. The continent had seen enough conflicts and wars inspired by vested interests from the west. Now its time to reshape and strengthen the countries of the region and all the big players including Pakistan,Japan,India or China have to play vital part in it.

some biases, well first, there's the invasion of Japan on Korea during Tang dynasty and the Korean three kingdoms, but Japan was primitive then and was easily brushed aside.

Then Hideoshi didn't collapse and thus the Korean war, but Korean war drained him and thus he collapsed. He was getting rocked on the seas and by the second invasion, he pretty much didn't make it too far.

To correct something else, WW2 left almost no scars on China, many, including my dad was surprised when the narrative was changed to find out the WW2 facts. China had long left those things behind, but there are other actors at work.

The shrine doesn't bother us so much as a war memorial, but it reminds us even today a nation of one hundred million is disregarding our feelings on sensitive matters. It especially irks us that the world order has us being the secondary nation. This is like US listening to Canada, I'm pretty sure the US leadership thought that was insane.

China and Japan needs to find a balance, we can divide Asia along with Korea amongst ourselves, and all expand outwards and let the chips fall where they may, or we are going to have to fight it out and see who's the strongest.

You still see the problems as Senkaku islands, I can tell you it is not. The islands and SCS is the last remaining reminder and proof that China was at one point beaten. China can easily give the island to Japan, if our objectives are met, you know what those are don't you.

Just as aside, Korea is as good as our ally, for the simple reason they won't ever admit they are weaker than Japan, they will concede to us, as we are a nation far bigger in size, but to you never seems to be the answer. I mean they won't go to war for us, but they also won't go to war against us, that's good enough for me.

The end question is how will Japan handle it when China regains our position as not only the undisputed nation in Asia, but challenging the world powers, which right now is just the US.

If present is any indication, not well.

Sounds arrogant, and maybe not the nicest post, but this is the problem before us, we can either solve it or ignore it.

There were many bloody, destructive incidents of conflict between Japan , Korea and China. And yes, pardon me for my weakness in the specifics of the Imjin Wars. To be honest, from my readings in past articles and journals on that 16th century conflict, it was doomed to failure. Tho I agree with many Japanese academics when they say that Hideyoshi was revolutionary because of his unifying power, having taken the necessary action to unify the waring clans of Japan. Before Hideyoshi came about, Japan was wrecked in a blood internal conflict vying for power and this 3 centuries of internal warfare is referred to as the Sengoku Jidai 戦国時代. When Hideyoshi came, he personally subjugated the clans and was then declared Daijo Daijin -- Imperial Chancellor.

The dynamic of Japan's feudal period was similar to the feudal period in Europe. There were too many military forces in Japan who were itching and also vying for power, despite the fact that they were already subjugated by Hideyoshi. So, in a meta-analytic view, Hideyoshi's decision to go into Korea was a necessity for Japan. And I mean this. Whether or not his military campaigns ended in failure or success, he had needed to do it so as to ensure that those Japanese Diamyos and their Samurais were to exert their militant desires somewhere else. Thousands of them died in war with the Imperial Ming Army and the Joseon Army. Those were thousands of men who would not war in Japan. So if i incur the wrath of some Japanese readers, i mean this in the most respectful way, that it was a necessity that the some 100,000+ Japanese warriors had died in that conflict.

After the collapse of Hideyoshi's ambition in Korea, the Japanese military command was so devastated by the conflict that it had compelled the ruling Daimyos to implement a closed door policy. Eventually the Tokugawa Shogunate took power , and ensured this 2 century-long closed door policy, something that the Chinese Ming Dynasty had also implemented. It was during these 200 years post-Hideyoshi Japan that the nation experienced a cultural renaissance, and for a long time the nation was at peace, bereft of internal conflict.

Something very similar to the European Crusades and post-crusader Europe. Well, to an extent.

I think Japan is just a piece in the puzzle of the "100 Years of Humiliation" that China is trying to "unwind". Understand their "unwind" goals and how they feel each goal can be met satisfactorily and you will find your answers.

See our official policy, and you'll see how we seek to unwind the Century of Humiliation.

First and foremost is economic development. That is the surest way for us to regain great power status, and eventually be recognized as such.

And the method is contained in the policy of "China's peaceful rise". Whether or not anyone believes it, the fact is that we have not had any wars for over 30 years. Not out of of inability, but due to a deliberate strategy.

Democracy will call this article as BAD and DANGEROUS!!!

Brilliant article Nihojin. With the new world order slowly shifting towards East, traditional rivalries, ex-colonial scars have to be shelved for the sake of our future interest. A lot of people might not agree with me but historical arch enemies like India and Pakistan too have to rethink their doctrines of engagement with each other with a different glass now.

First thing, that we need to consider with all sincerity of a de-facto stalemate and interlinking our cities together with rail and road link and more interaction between the people through universities and small business opportunities. The continent had seen enough conflicts and wars inspired by vested interests from the west. Now its time to reshape and strengthen the countries of the region and all the big players including Pakistan,Japan,India or China have to play vital part in it.

I think that it is , indeed, very important that the nations in Asia implement a pragmatic approach to working with each other, and finding ways (sometimes even create mechanisms) to bridge differences. One thing that I have been following recently are the relations between The Republic of India and the People's Republic of China. When China's President Xi Jinping visited India, both Xi Jinping and Narendra Modi talked about energy requirements, increasing bilateral trade, talked about India's plans for a high speed rail, and a consortium of infrastructure projects that China has expressed desire to helping India with. This century points to the direction of India and China because both are the 'Asian Giants'; both having the largest populations in the world, both having large and growing economies. So when the reports came out (here in PDF) about the border situation in Chumar , both leaders tried to continue with business plans while also dealing with security issues responsibly.

Japan should learn from China and India's pragmatic approach in cross-border issues. I mean, i know that there was a conflict between China and India in 1962, but since then, there really have been no major cross-border shellings recently. I am impressed that both border forces hold annual tent meetings and both are restrained. I think that is something the Japanese military leaders of the JSDF should consider -- to see that Chinese side are willing to compromise and hear the other side out. Just as how China and India have direct military contact and communication; I believe that the JSDF (Japan Self Defense Force) and the PLA Military Command should also have direct military communication. This way damage control measures can be implemented quickly in the event of unnecessary exigency arises. It can be controlld on the spot. And prevent media or extremists groups to use this to flame public agitation.

I agree with you completely, @scorpionx. Development must be emphasized. Common differences can be worked out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom