What's new

The Largest Country Without Medals in Rio: Pakistan

And off topic trolling as well

This whole thread has trolling written over it.....unless its started by a Pakistani who wants an actual analysis/critique of the sporting situation and how to change it over time.

I brought it up as a passing joke with another member in another thread (it was just light banter for fun etc...) but starting this whole thread as a non-Pakistani is sort of severe butthurt and a mix of bad mocking behaviour.

I mean India was very close to winning more medals than it did....but quite equally close to getting a big fat 0.

I for one will not forget how many Pakistanis (and Chinese) like yourself supported our Indian athletes without restriction...and I will definitely return the favour when I see a Pakistani athlete performing well in a discipline in a future olympic game....and I will say exactly the reason if people ask me why :)

countries have routinely recruited athletes from various African countries to participate in their teams, prompting accusations of unfair competition and, sometimes, of using false documents to register new roster members. And although for the 2016 Olympic games there is no evidence of wrongdoing by these countries, this year they will again feature many Africans on their teams, prompting new allegations of an uneven playing field.

Take Qatar, for example. Their men’s athletics team consists of two Sudanese-born runners, one born in Morocco, one in Nigeria, one in Egypt, one in Kenya, and only two athletes born in Qatar. Or take Bahrain. Their athletics men’s team has four athletes born in Kenya, three in Ethiopia, one in Nigeria, one in Morocco and none in Bahrain. Their women’s team also features three athletes born in Ethiopia, another three in Nigeria, one in Kenya and none born in Bahrain (although one of those born in Nigeria is half-Bahraini). Meanwhile, both women who qualified for the United Arab Emirates’ athletics team are from Ethiopia.

Changing country allegiances is not unheard of in international sports. It is quite common, though heavily regulated in international football, for example. However, the IAAF, which organizes and regulates international athletics events, is much more lax about athletes changing their nationalities. But the widespread practice of these countries have landed them in trouble before.

In 2005, a man going by the name ofTareq Mubarak Taher changed allegiance from Kenya to Bahrain. That year he won the 2000 meter steeplechase event at the World Youth Championships in Marrakech, Morocco. He was soon the object of an investigation surrounding his name and his date of birth. In 2007, it was determined that he had falsified his identity and had lied about his agein order to be able to participate in the under-17 World Youth Championships.

Another, maybe less controversial problem arose in the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, in 2014. Then, Qatar and Bahrain faced heavy criticism from other athletes who felt they were unjustly up against unreachable opposition. Back then,Chinese athlete Su Bingtian said about his African-born rivalsthat: “They are more powerful and athletic. Physically we are at a disadvantage.” Maybe Bingtian was smarting from the fact that in Incheon, 14 of 22 individual events were won by athletes of African origin.

Though this phenomenon has become more pronounced in recent years, it started since at least 2003, when many top Kenyan athletes were persuaded by Qatar and Bahrain to change national allegiances in time for the 2004 Olympics. These Gulf Nations have more funds to care for their athletes, which means better compensation, but not only. The Olympics are primarily an amateur event, in which participants compete for free, and this means that the African athletes who chose to change national teams also need other perks to be persuaded. These are usually translated to access to better training grounds, top-of-the art facilities, and better physical preparation.

The Qatari government in particular is notorious for offering large sums to those athletes it wants to recruit for their national athletic teams, a practice that has become so widespread that even absurd rumors about it get some credibility. Last year, for example, it was said that Qatar offered Kenyan javelin champion Julius Yego one billion Kenyan Shillings (about ten million dollars) to change nationalities. Money, however, is not the only reason for the changes.

Certain African teams, in particular Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia and Morocco, are usually very strong and highly competitive, and it can be a challenge to find a spot to compete at the highest level for them, especially given their limited budget. Asked about his change from Kenya to Bahrain, a country he will represent in Rio, Albert Kibihii Rop said in 2014: “It’s hard to make the team in Kenya. Everyone is very strong I sought a way (to get on).” But it might also be hard for top athletes from these African countries to keep their spot in their countries of origin.

Last year, three Nigerians held the record for the fastest 100 meters in Africa, Europe and Asia. meaning that two of these, top athletes in the world, changed their nationality. One of them is Francis Obikwelu, who settled in Portugal as a teenager and, even though he competed first for Nigeria, after that country’s federation abandoned him during a career-threatening injury, he decided to switch and compete for his adopted country. Under his new citizenship, he earned a silver medal in Athens 2004, establishing an European record in the 100 meters race, 9.86 seconds.

There is also Femi Ogunode, who holds the Asian record. He says his move to Qatar in 2009, a country he will represent in Rio, when he was 18 was a “calculated risk” to escape “nepotism and corruption in Nigerian athletics.” He established the Asian 100 meters record at the Asian Athletics Championship, where he ran in 9.91 seconds.

The trend of African-born athletes changing nationalities seems likely to continue, as Turkey also has begun the practice of recruiting foreign athletes and, of course, European countries and the United States have also employed this tactic.

And though Qatar has not earned any medals in athletics from their African imports, and Bahrain only one bronze medal—for the 1,500 meters race in London 2012 —their adopted athletes have been immensely successful at continental competitions and world championships, so nothing suggests they’ll change tactics soon

http://www.okayafrica.com/sports/ri...-poach-african-players-to-win-olympic-medals/

Bahrain’s gold-medal Olympic track team is almost entirely made up of Africans.

http://qz.com/759279/bahrains-gold-medal-olympic-track-team-is-almost-entirely-made-up-of-africans/

Good Point!
We have had some examples as well.
Don't think we paid, but certainly they have less issues making the team.
The most prominent "transfers" ended up in doping scandals.
One of the key issues is that how can you bond as a group, when
you hire foreigners, brought up in a foreign country, and achieved stardom in another country.
You can never see that as an accomplishment of Your country, can You?

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was born in Sweden, and regardless of any comments he will
always be considered Swedish, LOL,

I think changing country should not be possible after You have competed for Your
country in a senior event, and it should be limited to one change.

pakistani people mindset have changed. they would like to educate their children as doctors, engineers,scientists instead of becoming a sportsmen. yes there is talent but the talented ones don't chose sports as a profession.

we spend billions of rupees on cricket... not that poor...
India is improving a lot in other sports too. Specially with the league culture now succeeding in India. We have domestic tournaments in Hockey, Badminton, Football :yahoo: and offcourse Cricket:mad:
We needs more sports icon to take the sporting culture in India to the next level. Like what Gavaskar and Kapil Dev did for cricket and then we had players like Tendulkar, Dravid and Kohli.

Last edited:
You did not read the context of his post

This indian robinhood said Pakistani are accepting that they are south asian

This nick indian replied pakistani change race/ancestry based on topic under discussion

So what is this ?

Some Pakistanis claim Middle Eastern ancestry and claim on that basis that they are different from South Asians. Some times region and ancestry do overlap. Get the point.

I already answer this in the other thread. but let me paste some statistics

India: 1.2 billion 1 Bronze,
Israel: Intellectual Powerhouse -- zero medals?

I'd rather be like India and Israel -- Olympics in my books mean nothing for a poor country like Pakistan

@A-Team if you want to know what is on my list:

1. It is the number of quality universities
2. Number of Nobel prizes in the hard sciences -- not Peace or the like
3. Number of start-up that go public

The Olympics for example the entire Hockey team of Pakistan would have the hope of one medal while a track and field athlete alone can win a handful of medals per Olympic game.

And if you read the article the Author is observant enough to point those things out.

Israel, a country with 8 million population won 2 bronze medals, but keep with your lies, that's like the only thing u're good at.
And btw, Israel even not good at sport and we're still gettin medals, just saying

Side effects of neglecting the real needs of Pakistan and running the country as a security state are ought to have consequences in bigger scheme of things.

All is not well as the Gernals would want you to believe.

@pakistani342 : tagged you here, prolly its better in a dedicated thread here.
Lolx ..i believe somehow deep in your heart you love Pakistan :yes4:

Why there is no Squash and Snooker in Olympic Games ? Pakistan could had scored so medals in these two categories over the years infact still can. Bring 20-20 cricket in Olympics, you will definitely see Pakistan among medal(s).

ONLY last week Paksitani on and off PDF ( including that chimpanzee journalist) were gloating over India getting only two Medals. ~!!!

I dont think south asia does very well in all these criteria any way. Instead of num of startups that go public it should be valuation.

Precisely -- and in my book this is where I think any developing country should focus on. Not saying sports can be ignored but it's simply not feasible for a poor country like Pakistan to play competitive field hockey which requires players to start playing on Astro-truf from a very young age. A small rich country like South Korea beats Pakistan. Perhaps Boxing, is a something Pakistan can focus on -- you don't need a lot of facilities -- just coaches and modern training methods (which again is not easy)

Israel, a country with 8 million population won 2 bronze medals, but keep with your lies, that's like the only thing u're good at.
And btw, Israel even not good at sport and we're still gettin medals, just saying

I didn't check the medal tally you idiot -- keep your accusation to yourself you punk.

Precisely -- and in my book this is where I think any developing country should focus on. Not saying sports can be ignored but it's simply not feasible for a poor country like Pakistan to play competitive field hockey which requires players to start playing on Astro-truf from a very young age. A small rich country like South Korea beats Pakistan. Perhaps Boxing, is a something Pakistan can focus on -- you don't need a lot of facilities -- just coaches and modern training methods (which again is not easy)

Poor would be Afghanistan , Somalia , Chad , Ethopia all those 40 odd african LDC countries. Pakistan 's real income per capita is atleast twice of what is the reported figure.

I am in Pakistan right now. The amount of Luxury cars and Prado's on roads is mind boggling. But compared to a country like South Korea sure we are poor.

Well we have excelled in sports which require alot of money. Hockey , Squash , Cricket , Snooker are all sports which require alot of money and Pakistan has historically dominated all these sports.

Its true. Swimming alone has 20+ medals, and if a country is good in swimming alone, it can top tally. But if a country is good at lets say football, it can't. Its the uneven distribution of medals per sport which makes olympics not a good representation of how good or bad a country is in sport. A lot of sports which are played in sub continent curturally are not in olympics. Even if cricket is allowed in olympics with formats 1over, 5over, 10over, 15over, 20over, etc its not a garanteed medal for any country because this game involves strategy, unlike swimming where the winners are mostly known before start. And winning in olympics takes that little edge over others using techniques and training which countries like in sub continent can't compete with countries where people can afford 20-50 times more. Also games require mental as much as physical ability, because it involves learn from previous experiences, adapting to situation, etc.

Yes, I totally agree with you.

If you look at some of the sports facilities good universities have in the US -- there is no way that a poor violence wracked country like Pakistan can hope to compete unless for example there is something you are physically disposed to doing.

Poor would be Afghanistan , Somalia , Chad , Ethopia all those 40 odd african LDC countries. Pakistan 's real income per capita is atleast twice of what is the reported figure.

I am in Pakistan right now. The amount of Luxury cars and Prado's on roads is mind boggling. But compared to a country like South Korea sure we are poor.

yes but the electricity my cousin gets in his village is probably less than what he gets than if he was possibly born in Chad, Somalia or Ethiopia.

Pakistan is a story of missed opportunities and Pakistan is in serious trouble:
1. Pakistan has not controlled it's population: Iran, Bangladesh, India, SriLanka have all been able to do that
2. Pakistan is behind all South Asian countries in the number of children attending School (except Afghanistan -- which doesn't say much)
3. Pakistan is fast running out of water
4. Pakistan (and this boggles my mind) has not been able to employ modern agricultural methods -- the yield in Indian Punjab per acre is what twice or some ridiculous figure like that.
5. Religiosity has posted intellectual activity -- it's all up to Allah now.

If Pakistan does not seriously address these things -- it has a very hard road for itself ahead.

Its india's failure to build infrastructure that can enable us to compete in olympics.. its not either or, 100 percent of people cannot be intellectuals or businessperson.. some will be sporty...
i agree that we need to be smart about choosing category of sports, 1 medal for whole football team but tonnes in swimming...

we spend billions of rupees on cricket... not that poor...

Yes agreed but for a democracy (that is still pretty dysfunctional -- and all democracies are messy) it is very hard for a poor country to do what say China did. Remember the USSR won a lot of medals but it didn't stop their collapse.

My bad -- out of 1/5 of humanity and a software superpower there is "1"

Israel a country of 8 million has 3 or more (I'm not completely sure)
China or Chinese origin -- ???

yes but the electricity my cousin gets in his village is probably less than what he gets than if he was possibly born in Chad, Somalia or Ethiopia.

Pakistan is a story of missed opportunities and Pakistan is in serious trouble:
1. Pakistan has not controlled it's population: Iran, Bangladesh, India, SriLanka have all been able to do that
2. Pakistan is behind all South Asian countries in the number of children attending School (except Afghanistan -- which doesn't say much)
3. Pakistan is fast running out of water
4. Pakistan (and this boggles my mind) has not been able to employ modern agricultural methods -- the yield in Indian Punjab per acre is what twice or some ridiculous figure like that.
5. Religiosity has posted intellectual activity -- it's all up to Allah now.

If Pakistan does not seriously address these things -- it has a very hard road for itself ahead.

Yes and we will overcome it by 2018 with CPEC. Half of the electricity problem in summers is due to ridicolous 50 degrees heat when transformers just stop working or the kunda system where people rob electricity.

1 . Pakistan has less population density compared to both India and BD.

Pakistan has less poverty than both India and BD. There are numerous Fields where we excel then them like poverty , Infrastructure , Sanitation , Happiness Index and a whole lot more. 25 % of India doesnt even have electricity let alone have a concept of loadshedding.

If we lack in some areas then we are better in other categories. There are 48 LDC 's in the world according to UN and Pakistan is not one of them (Bangladesh is ).

http://unctad.org/en/Pages/ALDC/Least Developed Countries/LDCs.aspx

And run a successful doping program. No one wins gold in athletics and weightlifting without doping. Just be smart and use designer drugs, rather than tradition ones which can be detected.

And you need trannies for women olympice. In Olympic 800m race, real women has came 5th. Top 4 are trannies which have been allowed to compete as women from this year.

Unless Pakistan import full blooded negros, it has exactly zero chance to win a track and field medal. Same goes for all South Asian countries.

Person of Indian origin had won it in 1994.

+Awards like Nobel and Turing are heavily politicized.
Yes and we will overcome it by 2018 with CPEC. Half of the electricity problem in summers is due to ridicolous 50 degrees heat when transformers just stop working or the kunda system where people rob electricity.

1 . Pakistan has less population density compared to both India and BD.

Pakistan has less poverty than both India and BD. There are numerous Fields where we excel then them like poverty , Infrastructure , Sanitation , Happiness Index and a whole lot more. 25 % of India doesnt even have electricity let alone have a concept of loadshedding.

If we lack in some areas then we are better in other categories. There are 48 LDC 's in the world according to UN and Pakistan is not one of them (Bangladesh is ).

http://unctad.org/en/Pages/ALDC/Least Developed Countries/LDCs.aspx

Again I think there are two concepts here:

1. Where we are -- which is what you have written about
2. Where we are going -- which is what I have written about
CPEC will not address:
a. Population growth
b. Lack of school children enrollment
c. Religiosity
d. Lack of development of modern agriculture methods

For example a lot of Indians Bash Nehru -- but his investment in IITs has paid off handsomely -- Pakistan could have done the same except Pakistani elite deliberately used Student Politics for petty purposes leading to immense damage to higher education.

Consider this simple fact -- Even during the Cold war when Pakistan was a member of CETO and SENTO: American universities (including MIT) were paired with different IITs -- one reason that to this day there is a dominance of IIT students admitted to MIT (disproportional to their merit) -- the Indians got world class universities -- Pakistani generals managed to get some rusty tanks.

If Pakistanis has some foresight they would have paired every UET with a leading American Engineering University -- Americans would have been more than willing -- had this foundation been set in the 1950s and 1960s there would be many startups in Silicon valley that have Pakistan co-founders.

leave us did afghanistan ever win any medal ? you have chance to win charsi medal if we have weed tournament :partay:
upload_2016-8-23_17-13-8.png

upload_2016-8-23_17-14-40.jpeg

img.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom