What's new

The Largest Country Without Medals in Rio: Pakistan

A-Team

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
Side effects of neglecting the real needs of Pakistan and running the country as a security state are ought to have consequences in bigger scheme of things.

All is not well as the Gernals would want you to believe.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-medals-olympics-rio/496616/?utm_source=atltw

@pakistani342 : tagged you here, prolly its better in a dedicated thread here.

I already answered this in the other thread. but let me paste some statistics

India: 1.2 billion 1 Bronze,
Israel: Intellectual Powerhouse -- two medals?

I'd rather be like India and Israel -- Olympics in my books mean nothing for a poor country like Pakistan

@A-Team if you want to know what is on my list:

1. It is the number of quality universities
2. Number of Nobel prizes in the hard sciences -- not Peace or the like
3. Number of start-up that go public

The Olympics for example the entire Hockey team of Pakistan would have the hope of one medal while a track and field athlete alone can win a handful of medals per Olympic game.

And if you read the article the Author is observant enough to point those things out.

Last edited:
How much importance or effort did we put into the Olympics that we should be expecting medals?

We dont support sports where we have been powerhouses in, such as hockey or squash

In Pakistan sport is funded by the individual

The only reason cricket has survived is because its so popular at a aam aadmi level

I have long felt that rather than aim for the moon Pakistan government should start a process where they identify a few olympic events that may suit the Pakistani public and then provide at least some funding or a center of excellence where those few sports can be practiced

Expecting medals when you do NOTHING is unreasonable

Unfair to pick on Pakistan given how horribly all of South Asia has fared. There are 1.7 billion people in the region and only two medal to show it for, and not one of them a gold.

The Golds will come -- you need to invest -- you need a sporting culture.

And, for me I'd rather the investments be made to win Nobel prizes, Field medals, Godel prizes, Turing Awards, etc.

I already answer this in the other thread. but let me paste some statistics

India: 1.2 billion 1 Bronze,
Israel: Intellectual Powerhouse -- zero medals?

I'd rather be like India and Israel -- Olympics in my books mean nothing for a poor country like Pakistan
Hey, India has 1 Silver and 1 Bronze.

Plus Pakistan should not worry for their medal, wait for CPEC. Once it is completed they will decimate USA & China combined.

Ontopic : Olympic is more biased towards western countries, its their tool to prove their superiority in sports on the third world countries. They never include sports like Kabaddi which is physically challenging sports or Squash or Chess, but they will include Golf , Tennis and Football which has no significance at Olympics.

Hey, India has 1 Silver and 1 Bronze.

Plus Pakistan should not worry for their medal, wait for CPEC. Once it is completed they will decimate USA & China combined.

Ontopic : Olympic is more biased towards western countries, its their tool to prove their superiority in sports on the third world countries. They never include sports like Kabaddi which is physically challenging sports or Squash or Chess, but they will include Golf , Tennis and Football which has no significance at Olympics.

Congratulation on the Silver

Yes precisely what is Golf doing in the olympics?

Side effects of neglecting the real needs of Pakistan and running the country as a security state are ought to have consequences in bigger scheme of things.

All is not well as the Gernals would want you to believe.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-medals-olympics-rio/496616/?utm_source=atltw

@pakistani342 : tagged you here, prolly its better in a dedicated thread here.

To give you an idea of the big tragedies are

To date there is only one person of Indian origin who has won the Fields Medal (not Indian Citizen).
Only one Muslim (Iranian -- you know why -- Iranians have a culture of scholarship)

----

To date I think there is no person of Indian or Muslim origin to win the Turing award.

----

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom