The JF-17 IV: Tomorrow's Weapon Systems

Quwa

Research Partner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The JF-17 IV: Tomorrow’s Weapon Systems
By Bilal Khan

The previous part of Quwa’s JF-17 series outlined the major changes coming to the platform via the development of JF-17 Block-3. Whereas the JF-17 of today is a significant improvement for the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) in terms of being an effective backbone fighter, the JF-17 of the near future (i.e. Block-3) is poised to possess characteristics of (at least on its own terms) a genuine force-multiplier and high-tech asset. This point should not be construed for suggesting that the JF-17 would somehow become better than the Su-30MKI or Rafale, absolutely not, but rather, with an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, Helmet Mounted Display and Sight (HMD/S), and the next wave of advanced air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons, the JF-17 would be a credible means of defence for Pakistan.

This piece will discuss one of the most critical gains of the JF-17 program, the ability for the PAF to freely integrate advanced weapon systems of its choice to the platform, thus enabling it to assume the same mission capabilities of the PAF’s marquee fighters, the F-16 Block-52+, the F-16 Mid Life Update (MLU), and the Mirage ROSE-I/II/III. Not only that, but in some cases (that are unique to the PAF due to political or economic reasons), to enable the JF-17 to take on roles that even PAF F-16s likely would not (such as long-range stand-off strike).

Based on the arms-transfer database compiled by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the PAF JF-17’s entire weapons inventory at induction was composed of purely Chinese air-to-air and air-to-surface munitions. Each of these munitions were discussed in a previous piece on Quwa, but the short of it is that they imbued the JF-17 and the PAF with beyond-visual-range (BVR) air-to-air and precision-strike capabilities. However, access to Chinese technology has not stopped the PAF from integrating additional weapon-systems onto the JF-17, nor will it preclude the JF-17 from being supported by the Pakistani defence industry.

Read the rest here:

By Bilal Khan

The previous part of Quwa’s JF-17 series outlined the major changes coming to the platform via the development of JF-17 Block-3. Whereas the JF-17 of today is a significant improvement for the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) in terms of being an effective backbone fighter, the JF-17 of the near future (i.e. Block-3) is poised to possess characteristics of (at least on its own terms) a genuine force-multiplier and high-tech asset. This point should not be construed for suggesting that the JF-17 would somehow become better than the Su-30MKI or Rafale, absolutely not, but rather, with an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, Helmet Mounted Display and Sight (HMD/S), and the next wave of advanced air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons, the JF-17 would be a credible means of defence for Pakistan.

This piece will discuss one of the most critical gains of the JF-17 program, the ability for the PAF to freely integrate advanced weapon systems of its choice to the platform, thus enabling it to assume the same mission capabilities of the PAF’s marquee fighters, the F-16 Block-52+, the F-16 Mid Life Update (MLU), and the Mirage ROSE-I/II/III. Not only that, but in some cases (that are unique to the PAF due to political or economic reasons), to enable the JF-17 to take on roles that even PAF F-16s likely would not (such as long-range stand-off strike).

Based on the arms-transfer database compiled by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the PAF JF-17’s entire weapons inventory at induction was composed of purely Chinese air-to-air and air-to-surface munitions. Each of these munitions were discussed in a previous piece on Quwa, but the short of it is that they imbued the JF-17 and the PAF with beyond-visual-range (BVR) air-to-air and precision-strike capabilities. However, access to Chinese technology has not stopped the PAF from integrating additional weapon-systems onto the JF-17, nor will it preclude the JF-17 from being supported by the Pakistani defence industry.

Read the rest here:
We haven't seen the Block III yet and you are talking about Block IV

Its a good thing When JF improves so it will chances of export If in Next 5 to 7 Years Can Catch Block 52 in Terms of Tech and credible Weapons System which are if not less but at least equal to western competitors , How Much Market will it Open For Thunder , Most of the Nations are Jumping for the Stealth Which Wont be operational or Available For third world Countries in 10 to 15 years they Will look for a cheap available Options than Projects Like Thunder , Tejas , J series will come in play as it will also Give Hopes that New packages will Keep Coming and after Pakistan Can Jump in another Project With China or any other Country

Its a good thing When JF improves so it will chances of export If in Next 5 to 7 Years Can Catch Block 52 in Terms of Tech and credible Weapons System which are if not less but at least equal to western competitors , How Much Market will it Open For Thunder , Most of the Nations are Jumping for the Stealth Which Wont be operational or Available For third world Countries in 10 to 15 years they Will look for a cheap available Options than Projects Like Thunder , Tejas , J series will come in play as it will also Give Hopes that New packages will Keep Coming and after Pakistan Can Jump in another Project With China or any other Country
But has Pakistan started to build BLOCK III prototype ? @Mark Sien ?

It Will Also Gives Benefit to the Creators for further developing New Projects and Also it will confidence to buyers

But has Pakistan started to build BLOCK III prototype ? @Mark Sien ?
Looks Like So they are trying to follow the timeline they set

It Will Also Gives Benefit to the Creators for further developing New Projects and Also it will confidence to buyers

Looks Like So they are trying to follow the timeline they set
Well than that's is great I hope they don't take much longer. I mean I hope to hear about first BLOCK III flight in next 6 to 8 months

Well than that's is great I hope they don't take much longer. I mean I hope to hear about first BLOCK III flight in next 6 to 8 months
Even If it Takes Every 1 shouldn't complain Because See all different Projects Timelines They take years to develop this Much Will Pakistan Started just a decade goo and they already have a capable platform ready ,and its operational

No new information everything was known and discuss here in pdf. I hop All the expextation comes true .

The "IV" refers to "Part IV" in my series of articles ;) I haven't confirmed the existence of Block-4 or anything.

Part I - The JF-17 I: A Wave of Change for the Pakistan Air Force
Part II - The JF-17 II: Introducing BVR & Precision Strike
Part III - The JF-17 III: Major Changes Ahead on JF-17 Block-3
Part IV - The JF-17 IV: Tomorrow’s Weapon Systems

But I can see why there might be some confusion

Pakistan and China have sign an Agreement on The Development Of Stealth Version Of Jf-17 Thunder Fighter Aircraft.
imgres

The "IV" refers to "Part IV" in my series of articles ;) I haven't confirmed the existence of Block-4 or anything.

Part I - The JF-17 I: A Wave of Change for the Pakistan Air Force
Part II - The JF-17 II: Introducing BVR & Precision Strike
Part III - The JF-17 III: Major Changes Ahead on JF-17 Block-3
Part IV - The JF-17 IV: Tomorrow’s Weapon Systems

But I can see why there might be some confusion

Are you assuming Part-IV on basis of an MoU signed between Pakistan and China for development of Stealthy JF-17???

Block III might have stealth features... I don't think so PAF will make Block IV. They will focus on buying 5th Gen fighter jet instead.

Are you assuming Part-IV on basis of an MoU signed between Pakistan and China for development of Stealthy JF-17???
I am not allowed to share a link because of less msgs I have links

PAF is going to create its own stealth we should buy su-35 to protect our sea.
we cant wait about 10 years for china's j-20 or j-35

Last edited:
of course such futuristic prospects of JF-17 are more trouble some and demoralizing, if some one start discussing them earlier than their production.
I know you are hurt and my sympathies are with you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom