What's new

The first batch of VT5 light tanks was delivered to Bangladesh

Quite the opposite, it means that China is leading in lightweight tanks.

It seems that in China, only Norinco can design and build tanks. China can set up many corporations like Norinco, they will compete

Navy will get Aircraft Carriers before BAF gets MRCA.
I am not joking. But, BD may build not aircraft carriers, but helicopter carrier that can take our helis near the enemy shore (read, MM) to attack its military assets and positions. Helicopter carriers have more practical uses than an aircraft carrier for a small nation like BD.

How about building a few in our own shipyards with Chinese or Turkic technological expertise. I know they have not built such things, but these countries' knowledge in building naval crafts/wares will be useful.

The concept may also be useful to them, as well.

I am not joking. But, BD may build not aircraft carriers, but helicopter carrier that can take our helis near the enemy shore (read, MM) to attack its military assets and positions. Helicopter carriers have more practical uses than an aircraft carrier for a small nation like BD.

How about building a few in our own shipyards with Chinese or Turkic technological expertise. I know they have not built such things, but these countries' knowledge in building naval crafts/wares will be useful.

I was just kidding about the Air Craft carriers.

We cant maintain air craft carriers nor do we need them.

Heli Carriers are something that can be mulled over post 2030s.

Wow - this video should be captioned "How to lose 5 Million dollars of expensive crawler crane using a few thousand dollars of third-rate steel". If this is the state of Indian logistics in that area, then Indian Army has their work cut out for trying to defend it.

I think Thailand beat us to the Aircraft Carrier game two decades ago (made by Navantia), and our GDP is almost the same by now. But yeah - like @Indos and others have commented, they buy stuff in erratic patterns, with no specific strategy or plan in mind. At least that is what seems to an observer like me.

A lot of countries are getting LHD's, and this may seem to be a closer goal than not.

We will need to induct aircraft carriers in the long term if we want develop the ability to counter a naval blockade by India. (Stress on "need"; does not necessarily mean we can afford)

The presence of Indian military bases and ports in Andaman Nicober Islands and along their South Eastern coastline enables their ships and fighter jets to maintain a sustained presence around Bangladesh's Sea boundaries. BN frigates and BAF fighter jets based in Southern Bangladesh alone cannot negate such a strategic advantage for India as we need sustained military presence in the area marked in red (range and refuelling issues). Only aircraft carriers can neutralise these Indian installations to keep our sea lines clear.
20200708_171149.jpg

Last edited:
We will need to induct aircraft carriers in the long term if we want develop the ability to counter a naval blockade by India. (Stress on "need"; does not necessarily mean we can afford)

The presence of Indian military bases and ports in Andaman Nicober Islands and along their South Eastern coastline enables their ships and fighter jets to maintain a sustained presence around Bangladesh's Sea boundaries. BN frigates and BAF fighter jets based in Southern Bangladesh alone cannot negate such a strategic advantage for India as we need sustained military presence in the area marked in red (range and refuelling issues). Only aircraft carriers can neutralise these Indian installations to keep our sea lines clear.
View attachment 648993
Should not we talk on things that we can put in our mouths, chew them and swallow as well. Please note below which countries are able to manufacture what aircraft carriers.

- Japan built 22 aircraft carriers before 1940. Only 2 of these carriers were taken near Hawai to invade the US military installations there during WWll.
- Mighty China in 2020 has only 2 aircraft carriers. There is no record it has ever used it.
- Mighty India possesses only 2 aircraft carriers in 2020. No record of using it.

So, which year do you want a strong BN to induct 2 to 5 such carriers? Or, just 1 will be enough?

Should not we talk on things that we can put in our mouths, chew them and swallow as well. Please note below which countries are able to manufacture what aircraft carriers.

- Japan built 22 aircraft carriers before 1940. Only 2 of these carriers were taken near Hawai to invade the US military installations there during WWll.
- Mighty China in 2020 has only 2 aircraft carriers. There is no record it has ever used it.
- Mighty India possesses only 2 aircraft carriers in 2020. No record of using it.

So, which year do you want a strong BN to induct 2 to 5 such carriers? Or, just 1 will be enough?
As I clearly stated, it's a "need" and not a "demand".
To be able to afford proper aircraft carriers in the next 30 years, Bangladesh would have to transform itself entirely both socially and economically along the lines of Japan, Korea to become a country where people work more and blab less. Exporting undies and faking stats alone will not cut it.

To be able to afford proper aircraft carriers ever, Bangladesh would have to transform itself entirely both socially and economically along the lines of Japan, Korea to become a country where people work more and blab less. Exporting undies and faking stats alone will not cut it.

Harsh.

To be able to afford proper aircraft carriers in the next 30 years, Bangladesh would have to transform itself entirely both socially and economically along the lines of Japan, Korea to become a country where people work more and blab less. Exporting undies and faking stats alone will not cut it.
I don't think we will ever need aircraft carriers or helicopter carriers , I reckon budget air craft carriers (the ones operated by China/India/Russia) will be obsolete in 30 years. In the age of precise long range Ballistic Missiles these carriers will be easy high value targets. If a country like Iran can develop precise BMs now in 30 years time BMs will render carriers obsolete. If we have money to spare we should focus on submarines, which I think we are already doing. Maybe we could ask BN to take over the MRCA projects from BAF, since BAF is useless.

Back
Top Bottom