What's new

The character of General Zia-ul-haq

I'll tell you one thing, had Gen. Zia ul Haq been alive today and was President, he sure as hell would not allow drone strikes and foreign mercenaries to operate inside Pakistan.

Secularist and frustrated liberals can say what they want but he was aggressive and tough.

Simply because he is dead, you can say anything about him.

If Zia were the president of Pakistan today, there would not only be drone strikes, but military strikes as well. He would have let the entire Pakistani Army at the disposal of the United States. That is, just the way he had turned the entire Army into nothing more than a bunch of heroin smugglers - to facilitate the financing of the US operations. And please try not to deny that because kingpin was himself caught with stuff at an airport in Europe.

Please provide a link..

Before departure for Chennai General Zia-ul-Haq while saying good bye to Gandhi said, “Mr. Rajeev you want to attack Pakistan, do it. But keep in mind after this world will forget Hilaku Khan and Changez Khan and will remember only Zia-ul-Haq and Rajeev Gandhi. Because this will not be conventional war but nuclear war. Possibly whole Pakistan might be destroyed in this was but Muslims will be still there, however after destruction of India, Hinduism will be vanished”. In spite of cold drops of perspiration were visible on Gandhi’s forehead. I felt sensation in my backbone. These were only few moments when Zia-ul-Haq looked a dangerous man, his face was stern his eyes showed that he will do whatever he is saying no matter whole sub continent is burnt to ashes in nuclear war. I was astonished, after warning, in the blink of eye Zia-ul-Haq brought his smile; he warmly shook hands with other hosts. Except me and Rajeev Gandhi no one was aware that Zia-ul-Haq looking very happy and in light mood has created trouble for Indian PM by threatening him of nuclear war”.

Truth by Kbaig: Pakistan’s Nukes... What are "they" upto?

1. Brig Afzal Janjua, the night duty officer at ISI, woke up President Zia at middle of the night in the President's Hse. Janjua informed him that the Soviets were pulling out of Afghanistan. Zia called for his "musallah" and offered two raqats of prayers. Prayers over he looked into Janjua's eyes and the gazed away as in a distance. He said, "Son, today begins the birth of many Pakistans."

2. After two Frankenstein presidents, both of whom were characterless debauch and drunkards, in Zia Pakistan got a disciplined, honest and upright man of character. Zia truly believed in his destiny as a soldier of Islam. As Pakistan's leader he understood Pak Army and Pakistan as a nation were meant to serve Islam. He himself not only projected but sincerely considered himself as a humble servant of Islam.

3. His greatest enemy was WCC which kept quiet as long as the Afghan Jihad was on. Thereafter, they set in motion to eliminate this dangerous hindrance to their plans. Character assassination through rumor mongering, media doctoring, disinformation, etc were all deployed against him. Zia new fully well that WCC was after his life and was v careful in his movements. But WCC accepted own casualty to blow him up.

4. Zia was a great Muslim. He was also a human being not a firista that there would be no frailties. But he was honest, pious, dedicated, without mistresses, and a great patriot. Allah SWT will surely accept his soul in heaven.

Under Zia's rule , Pakistan's society lost its liberal outlook , tolerance levels dipped and economic policies took a real hit ...

My friend,

Who allowed millions of refugees without any check and balance into Pakistan?
Most were refugees but many criminal syndicates and extremists came and settled in Pakistan during Zia's era.
There were lots of foreigners in Pakistan during his era and these operated openly in many parts of Pakistan.
There were foreign mercenaries roaming in Pakistan during Afghan war and though there were no drone strikes, there were lots of bombings and attacks carried out by hostile agencies as a revenge for Pakistan's involvement in US war against USSR.
The media was strictly censored but at least 1000-2000 Pakistanis were killed in such attacks within Pakistan during Zia era.
Nowadays the attacks are deadlier since technology has advanced and tactics are new, however it was never the case that Pakistan paid no price in terms of human loss during Zia era... and to what eventual gain?
Did we gain friends or did we end up worse off from Zia's decision to get Pakistan involved in Afghan war?
Did he check the rising sectarian friction or actually fan the flames of sectarian violence for vested interests?
Did Zia not use and abuse Islam as a political weapon?

Clearly he has a major role in current fallout we face today.
If Zia was alive, we would still be no better.
Forming partnerships with global powers which are at loggerheads with your internal policy is nothing but a disaster in the making, it makes enemies both within and outside the state.
Promoting sectarian/racial divide in order to politically stamp your authority can bring you personal political gains but cannot be hailed as nation building.

Pakistan suffered a lot under Zia despite his strong man image, at least in terms of long term policy direction and social outlook...it left us in a most compromised position.

I agree with most of what you have said, and that's why I pointed out I have strategic and political disagreements with Gen. Zia's and specifically mentioned the insecure border. Though I think Gen. Zia is better than Pres. Zardari.

Did Zia not use and abuse Islam as a political weapon?

Certainly he did.

Did we gain friends or did we end up worse off from Zia's decision to get Pakistan involved in Afghan war?

Pakistan was practically forced to get involve into the Soviet-Afghan war. Unless some peace treaty could be struck with the SU at the time, which there were no signs for that happening.

Indians are having cramps because of Khalistan.:D
Sindhi and ppp supporters don't like him because of Bhutto
shias don't like him because he created "lashker e jangvi" and sipae sahaba who stopped the gift of shiaism during Iranian revolution.
liberals don't like him because of his religious reforms.

well people we understand your pain.

may Allah forgive his sins and raise his darajat in jannah.

Instead of discussing character of religious Gen Zia- why not discuss the character of liberal Yahya khan and his mistress Gen Rani?- that will have alot to discuss- which shaped the change in Pakistan history-

Instead of discussing character of religious Gen Zia- why not discuss the character of liberal Yahya khan and his mistress Gen Rani?- that will have alot to discuss- which shaped the change in Pakistan history-

Gen Yahya, bless his soul, was into the tasty habit of drinking/licking alcohol off his mistresses naked body.

He was caught doing this to a very famous female personality once.

What else do you want discuss?

Zia was an interesting chap.

He left a great legacy that has left Pakistan floundering.

High on religion and low in acceptability as a stable and a safe nation!

But it is only the common Pakistanis who face the brunt of his enlightened religiosity, who can tell if it is for the good or is it for the bad.

Gen Yahya, bless his soul, was into the tasty habit of drinking/licking alcohol off his mistresses naked body.

He was caught doing this to a very famous female personality once.

What else do you want discuss?

did he really? never heard that story

it is no secret -- he loved opposite gender and wasn't averse to the more-than-occasional scotch on the rocks :cheesy:

but then again, it feels like only yesterday I saw our dear leader, hitting on one Sarah Palin during the campaign season of ******** --just a few years after the untimely demise of his wife.

Discussion is about Gen Zia/his character/whatever because he is the man widely held responsible for today's condition of Pakistan.

I am sure the effects of policies enacted during the tenure of Gen Yahya were neither as detrimental, nor as long lasting as those of Zia's.

That is the sole reason why people are often forced to look deep into the life of Zia and how he effected all that he did - Might help the nation become immune to any repetitions.

Before departure for Chennai General Zia-ul-Haq while saying good bye to Gandhi said, “Mr. Rajeev you want to attack Pakistan, do it. But keep in mind after this world will forget Hilaku Khan and Changez Khan and will remember only Zia-ul-Haq and Rajeev Gandhi. Because this will not be conventional war but nuclear war. Possibly whole Pakistan might be destroyed in this was but Muslims will be still there, however after destruction of India, Hinduism will be vanished”. In spite of cold drops of perspiration were visible on Gandhi’s forehead. I felt sensation in my backbone. These were only few moments when Zia-ul-Haq looked a dangerous man, his face was stern his eyes showed that he will do whatever he is saying no matter whole sub continent is burnt to ashes in nuclear war. I was astonished, after warning, in the blink of eye Zia-ul-Haq brought his smile; he warmly shook hands with other hosts. Except me and Rajeev Gandhi no one was aware that Zia-ul-Haq looking very happy and in light mood has created trouble for Indian PM by threatening him of nuclear war”.

Truth by Kbaig: Pakistan’s Nukes... What are "they" upto?

Thats a really interesting dialogue there.It will be difficult to prove the authenticity though,but then in these cases all you can do is either go by the account of the bystander or deny it.I choose to do neither.
Let us say,even if Zia did say that,I am compelled to ask one question,"Where were the Pakistani nukes?"
From what we have come to know from the accounts of A.Q.Khan,Pakistan was not in a position to make their own nukes even in the later part of the 80s..Considering the fact that the conversation was happening in 1987,we can very well assume Zia's comments to be empty threats..But then,let us not forget the fact that,India already had nukes at that time having conducted the first test some 13 years ago..
So,in the event of an ACTUAL war,if it exceeds the nuclear threshold,there is a far greater possibility that Pakistan would have been annihilated from the face of the Earth.

did he really? never heard that story

it is no secret -- he loved opposite gender and wasn't averse to the more-than-occasional scotch on the rocks :cheesy:

but then again, it feels like only yesterday I saw our dear leader, hitting on one Sarah Palin during the campaign season of ******** --just a few years after the untimely demise of his wife.

Yes, true story.

Gen Yahya liked to have full time fun.

Good times.

Back
Top Bottom