What's new

The character of General Zia-ul-haq

umair_sindhi

New Recruit

Reaction score
General Zia-ul-haq, whom I personally believe the nightmare for Pakistan that with the grace of Almighty ALLAH passed away.

What I want to know from the fellow members regarding Gen Zia that what do you guys think of him, every one knows about the allegations granted to his character.

Along with one point that must be pondered that whenever Martial law was imposed Republicans were in power in United States of America.

He was a not too distant relative of mine. He played into the hands of American Intelligence Services, and when he refused to remain a pawn, he was assassinated.

If he was the puppet or any other names that are given to Gen Zia and was religious extremism at the same time we know that he was Chief of Army staff.

So if he was at such a higher rank, it will be true that their will be a status quo which would be the supporter of his ideology whatever it was, then don't you think about the real culprit who thwarted democracy and a leader like ZA Bhutto?

I supposedly mean Pak Army.

As a nation we should stop constantly cursing ourselves. It will never help.What happen in the past will never ever change. We should dedicate our time discussing about the current threats which Pakistan is facing.

He was a much valuable man..

Worked better than a 100 Brahmos for India.

Dear Spark,

Do not compare Pakistani's Generals with Indians.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

As a nation we should stop constantly cursing ourselves. It will never help.What happen in the past will never ever change. We should dedicate our time discussing about the current threats which Pakistan is facing.

I strongly appreciate that thought my brother,

But

I am making a base for a value able current issue. Now if you had touched the fruit before it has ripen then it becomes mandatory for me that I must disclose the real thing my dear brother. I want Pak Army to be straight forward in the policy because the mighty word ESTABLISHMENT had harmed us with a greater extent.

Well as an outsider I think that ZUH did more harm to Pakistan as compared to anyone. Also, the ZUH regime serves as a great illustration for the people who oppose democracy. I think it is the nature of a human to dominate and serve his/her interests first. Most fall in this category though I agree there are some exceptions. Due to the aforementioned tendency these kind of absolutist regimes can only do harm. ZUH's case was no different;however, he was one of the most corrupt generals Pakistan will ever get.

I think senior members can talk at length and fill pages after pages of ZUH's mistakes. I think what Spark has mentioned sums it from India's perspective. He did more harm to Pakistan than 1965 or Kargil.

Btw I think the thread should be renamed as charecterlesness of ZUH...

Gen. Zia I kind of like his hard iron look, but I have strategic and political disagreements with him. I think he engaged well enough in the AFG theater in the fight against the Soviet Union there, played the US card well. However, he apparently didn't keep the border with AFG as secure as he should have. Another thing, I think he could have done and this one would be a real game changer, hence I won't publicly discuss that here.

Many blame him for reducing the professionalism of the Army with religious incentives, etc. I won't get into that as that is a messy subject for another day.

One thing I think Gen. Zia lacked in his administration was an effective economic policy. Gen. Zia possibly had the potential to be the man Pakistan needed him to be, but in my humble opinion he fell short of that.

Though I would like to learn more about his past military career, I will have to do some reading when I get some free time.

I hold him in great esteem for his sheer sense of integrity and self-esteem as a Pakistani. I salute him for his forward and aggressive policy against the enemies who posed the existential threat to Pakistan. His reign will be remembered as a golden era of Pakistan's foreign policy.We considered ourselves superior to our regional foes and this was made possible by keeping the enemy at bay and shifting the theater of conflict to the hostile territory. And because of this the USSR imploded and India remained dormant for the most part on our eastern frontiers. He was a right man, at right time for a right job. May his soul rest in peace...

I'll tell you one thing, had Gen. Zia ul Haq been alive today and was President, he sure as hell would not allow drone strikes and foreign mercenaries to operate inside Pakistan.

Secularist and frustrated liberals can say what they want but he was aggressive and tough.

I'll tell you one thing, had Gen. Zia ul Haq been alive today and was President, he sure as hell would not allow drone strikes and foreign mercenaries to operate inside Pakistan.

Secularist and frustrated liberals can say what they want but he was aggressive and tough.

My friend,

Who allowed millions of refugees without any check and balance into Pakistan?
Most were refugees but many criminal syndicates and extremists came and settled in Pakistan during Zia's era.
There were lots of foreigners in Pakistan during his era and these operated openly in many parts of Pakistan.
There were foreign mercenaries roaming in Pakistan during Afghan war and though there were no drone strikes, there were lots of bombings and attacks carried out by hostile agencies as a revenge for Pakistan's involvement in US war against USSR.
The media was strictly censored but at least 1000-2000 Pakistanis were killed in such attacks within Pakistan during Zia era.
Nowadays the attacks are deadlier since technology has advanced and tactics are new, however it was never the case that Pakistan paid no price in terms of human loss during Zia era... and to what eventual gain?
Did we gain friends or did we end up worse off from Zia's decision to get Pakistan involved in Afghan war?
Did he check the rising sectarian friction or actually fan the flames of sectarian violence for vested interests?
Did Zia not use and abuse Islam as a political weapon?

Clearly he has a major role in current fallout we face today.
If Zia was alive, we would still be no better.
Forming partnerships with global powers which are at loggerheads with your internal policy is nothing but a disaster in the making, it makes enemies both within and outside the state.
Promoting sectarian/racial divide in order to politically stamp your authority can bring you personal political gains but cannot be hailed as nation building.

Pakistan suffered a lot under Zia despite his strong man image, at least in terms of long term policy direction and social outlook...it left us in a most compromised position.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom