What's new

The Battle for Bajaur - PA seizes control

well here's the latest

peace deal in bajaur - this time a 28 point agreement (swat was 17 points) with the mohmand tribe. it says they will lay their arms and not conduct attacks into afghanistan

more to come i'm sure....

Pakistan tribesmen sign peace deal

Tribesmen in northwest Pakistan have signed a deal with the authorities promising not to shelter anti-government fighters in the areas on the border with Afghanistan, a local administration official has said.

Shafirullah Khan said the deal was signed on Monday, a day after Taliban fighters released five Pakistani soldiers kidnapped during a military operation in August.

The 28-point draft plan was signed by tribal elders from Mamoun, the most populous district in the semi-autonomous tribal region of Bajaur, and government officials in Khar, the main town in the area.

"Government and security officials will not be attacked or kidnapped and there will be no restriction on the movement of security forces in Mamoun, Khan said.

Tribal assurance

"Tribal elders assured the government that militants will lay down arms and live peacefully in Mamoun under the deal," Khan added.

"Foreign militants will not be harboured by anyone in Mamoun and rebels will not set up any training camps."

Mamoun is home to around a third of the 900,000 population of Bajaur, as well as several Pakistani Taliban commanders.

Support from local tribesmen was previously divided between those who supported local authorities and those who backed the fighters.

The military had said on February 28 that the Taliban had been defeated in Bajaur.

The semi-autonomous tribal areas in northwest Pakistan became a safe haven for hundreds of anti-government fighters who left Afghanistan when the US invaded the country to oust the Taliban in 2001.

Al Jazeera English - CENTRAL/S. ASIA - Pakistan tribesmen sign peace deal

Regardless of the Truce and its duration (may it last forever) it is better for Pakistanis that army remains in these areas till long term measures (which i hope are being taken) come to fruit.

We cannot afford takeover of our territory by any anti state elements whatever they call themselves.

Civil structure should be re established but PA should also be stationed in the form of highly mobile formations which can deal with any threat perceived by state machinery and general public in these areas in a timely fashion.

The key is close coordination between civil and army representatives and ability to respond rapidly.
The public should be made to feel secure.

More tribes sign peace deal with Pakistan: official

KHAR, Pakistan (AFP) — Three more tribes in a lawless region close to the Afghan border on Wednesday signed a peace deal with Pakistani authorities, pledging to lay down arms and disband militant groups, officials said.

The new signings mean that 80 percent of Bajaur's population of 900,000 have agreed to return to normal life in the region, where the military has sought to flush out the Taliban, said local government official Shafirullah Khan.

The Salarzai, Atmankhel and Khar tribes endorsed a deal concluded by the dominant Maoun tribe in semi-autonomous Bajaur on Monday, around six months after the military launched the huge offensive.

"The tribesmen have agreed to disband all militant organisations and their leaders will surrender to the authorities," said Khan.

"They will not shelter foreign militants and expel any such people found living in their areas, he added.

"Security forces will remain in their posts and local tribes will not oppose the setting up of new checkpoints," he said.

Elders from two remaining tribes were also expected to sign up to the peace deal soon, said the local official.

The government launched a massive offensive in Bajaur last August, in the wake of US pressure to do more to stop cross border attacks by militants.

On February 28, the military said it had effectively won the battle against the Taliban in Bajaur.

Residents say reconstruction and basic services such as water and electricity are desperately important if peace efforts are to last in the region.

AFP: More tribes sign peace deal with Pakistan: official

"They will not shelter foreign militants and expel any such people found living in their areas, he added.

Make sure to kill the uncircumcised bastards who trespass into Pakistani territory to create trouble.

The peace deal in Bajaur is essentially a "Victory Declaration" by Maj. Gen. Tarik Khan. This is the most elegant way to call it a day and move on with life!.

militants have also declared a unilateral seize fire in the Dara adamkhel. as i recall the army was conducting an operation there a few days ago.

TTP announces enforcement of Shariah in Bajaur

Saturday, April 11, 2009
Bans shaving of beard, movement of women, CNICs for women; ANP leader beheaded

By Hasbanullah Khan & Mushtaq Yusufzai

KHAR/PESHAWAR: The Taliban on Friday announced the enforcement of Shariah in the Bajaur Agency and stopped women from going outside without male relatives, banned shaving of beard and warned the people against availing assistance from the Benazir Income Support Programme (BISP).

The announcement was made by Maulvi Faqir Mohammad, Taliban chief in the agency, in his 40-minute speech delivered through his group’s illegal FM radio channel. Faqir, who is deputy leader of Baitullah Mahsud-led Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), addressed the tribesmen on the FM radio on weekly basis. He said he and his men would spare no efforts to strictly implement the Islamic laws in the region.

In this regard, the Taliban had prepared a special armed force named “Action Group” to ensure the enforcement of Shariah and punish the violators. Faqir said shaving of beards and walking of men without having cap on their heads were practices of the Jews and their followers, which, he warned, the Taliban would not allow in Bajaur.

People, who listened to his radio speech, told The News by telephone that the tone of the militant commander was aggressive and he directed his Action Group to start taking action against men shaving their beards.

Faqir said he would not allow the BISP to operate and “mislead” simple women of the tribal region. He said work on preparation of lists of people supporting the BISP and other NGOs had already been initiated. Faqir threatened that the Action Group would soon produce such people before their Shariah Court. Also, he strictly warned women against coming out of their homes and acquiring Computerised National Identity Cards (CNICs), which is reportedly mandatory for getting monetary benefits from the BISP.

The militant commander said if the people were found guilty of supporting the BISP or getting its monetary benefits, the violators would be punished according to the Shariah law
in which minimum fine would not be less than Rs 10,000.

He admitted that the Taliban had arrested over a dozen people, reportedly belonging to Maulana Fazlur Rahman’s JUI-F and the PPP, who would be dealt with according to Shariah. Meanwhile, unknown assailants beheaded ANP leader and president of local traders Mohammad Islam Khan near his house in Nawagai subdivision.

The peace deals are going / beginning to unravel as Zardari will not sign them because the militants have not surrendered their arms! (smart decision this) - Look for military operations to start soonest again!- there is no other alternative!

"He said work on preparation of lists of people supporting the BISP and other NGOs had already been initiated."

"Meanwhile, unknown assailants beheaded ANP leader and president of local traders Mohammad Islam Khan near his house in Nawagai subdivision."

"Look for military operations to start soonest again!- there is no other alternative!"

I really hope that you're speaking from your head and not your heart. These ops in ANY form can't start soon enough.

Thought Tariq Aziz said Bajaur was just fine a month or so ago. I knew better. Hope he does too.

This thing is just warming up.

"He said work on preparation of lists of people supporting the BISP and other NGOs had already been initiated."

"Meanwhile, unknown assailants beheaded ANP leader and president of local traders Mohammad Islam Khan near his house in Nawagai subdivision."

"Look for military operations to start soonest again!- there is no other alternative!"

I really hope that you're speaking from your head and not your heart. These ops in ANY form can't start soon enough.

Thought Tariq Aziz said Bajaur was just fine a month or so ago. I knew better. Hope he does too.

This thing is just warming up.

S-2, i thought you knew me by now!:pakistan::usflag:

The ops will be bloody and PA casualties will inevitably be heavy to very heavy which can turn public opinion really quickly against GoP. The US can help in a big way here...I'm reading an excellent book called Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande, a Harvard-trained surgeon. He has an entire chapter devoted to the Forward Surgical teams (FST) and Combat Support hospitals (CSH) in Iraq and Afghanistan that enabled US combat deaths to reach record low-levels. US would do well to pump in aid and training to PA logistics commanders in this area...just my 2 cents.

"He has an entire chapter devoted to the Forward Surgical teams (FST) and Combat Support hospitals (CSH) in Iraq and Afghanistan that enabled US combat deaths to reach record low-levels. US would do well to pump in aid and training to PA logistics commanders in this area...just my 2 cents."

Many of our divisional medical battalions have stateside responsibilities at post hospitals as well. Some of these garrison and dependant responsibilities may have been shifted onto the private sector here. I'm not familiar but wouldn't doubt it.

My point is that your suggestion is excellent and exactly the type of true force-mulitiplier that helps soldiers feel greater confidence going into battle. It also entails a reasonably robust MEDEVAC capability for P.A. aviation units supporting these combat forces. That's a related matter that affects efficiency.

To that end, I'd give all those de-commissioned aircraft were the P.A. to pay for the up-grades and shipping costs from their received aid. Those costs should, naturally, be known before rendering an offer and expecting a decision but I'd hope that's been explored.

Both UH-1 Iroqouis and COBRA AH1 series remain excellent platforms for this battle and will, no doubt also prove effective fighting the Indians.;)

"The ops will be bloody..."

Yes. I expect so as it should be more than an "op". This is a campaign to retake FATA, IMHO, and will not be settled with a simple operation or two. I've little faith that Bajaur is as settled as Tariq Aziz suggested one and one-half months ago.

"PA casualties will inevitably be heavy to very heavy which can turn public opinion really quickly against GoP."

My suspicion is that CIVILIAN casualties inflicted by P.A. weapons or even the actions which draw taliban fire upon civilians will more greatly affect civilian perceptions.

As such, there is the perception that Pakistan's population would like this problem settled but is unwilling to accept the practical consequences of such and the Pakistani government is unprepared to face their wrath with equanimity but firmness to the precedents necessary for state survival.

The idea that state parties can determine their tolerance to accomodation at the expense of it's erosion to sovereign authority is a stunning aborgation of local and nat'l leadership.

The Pakistani army will either (with or without aid) rise up and fight this scourge as one or there will likely be schism leading to civil war. These militants aren't going away. Each day they control Waziristan makes more difficult their eventual removal and their intent is to replace the Pakistani nat'l government.

Recent statements by mid-level commanders in Pakistan this week have made clear the REAL conversations held amongst one another over tea. They want and believe they can have Pakistan.

Jes' sayin'...:agree:

Both UH-1 Iroqouis and COBRA AH1 series remain excellent platforms for this battle and will, no doubt also prove effective fighting the Indians.;)
IA/IAF will not lose sleep over US shipping some helis to PA...though they undoubtedly are lethal machines, they don't affect the military balance in any significant way.

The Pakistani army will either (with or without aid) rise up and fight this scourge as one or there will likely be schism leading to civil war. These militants aren't going away. Each day they control Waziristan makes more difficult their eventual removal and their intent is to replace the Pakistani nat'l government.

Recent statements by mid-level commanders in Pakistan this week have made clear the REAL conversations held amongst one another over tea. They want and believe they can have Pakistan.

Jes' sayin'...:agree:
Though I'm not Pakistani, I could not agree more. IMO, the threat is underestimated by the general public as they don't see it as a clear and present danger to them in their daily lives - just happenings in far-off FATA/NWFP.
In their hometowns, factories produce, transport runs, lights are on, trains work, taps run, etc. But if the threat is ignored, I have no doubt the militants will strike at the economic infrastructure as well. Dams, hydel-power plants, trains could very well be the next targets which can cause havoc to the domestic economy...and then the situation becomes REALLY hairy...

So, how tranquil and peaceful Bajaur really is today! PA has declared Victory, and brought the area under "Control" in late Feb.! And exactly how peaceful is the adjoining Kunar / Asmar area in Afghanistan?

By Anwarullah Khan
Tuesday, 26 May, 2009 | 11:54 PM PST |

KHAR: The Bajaur political administration has warned the Mamond tribal elders to vacate the area within six days as military operation was the only option to flush out militants from the region.

Addressing a grand jirga of Mamond tribal elders, the political agent Shafirullah Khan said the government has no other option but to launch a military operation against militants to halt surge in their activities.

A large number of tribal elders participated at the jirga. The tribal elders informed the political administration about the progress in talks with Tehrik-i-Taliban leaders which continued for the last three days.

Jirga member Saeedur Rehman told the political agent that during their talks the Taliban team, represented by TTP vice chief Maulana Fiqir Mohammad, had rejected the government’s claim that security personnel were kidnapped by them.

He said Taliban have disowned the incidents of kidnapping, target killings of pro-government elders and armed patrolling of Taliban. The Taliban were further quoted as saying they were abiding by the agreement inked between the administration and Mamond tribal elders.

Rehman said Taliban have rejected their (jirga’s)demands and were of the view that they have not involved in anti-government activities.

The PA expressed concern over the growing activities of Taliban, saying they were again trying to establish parallel government which could not be tolerated.

He said the government is not satisfied with the agreement made with Mamond tribal elders as Taliban were continuously violating the accord while the elders have failed to implement clauses of the agreement. So he said after the complete failure of the tribal elders the government has decided to launch operation and flush out militants from the area. He asked them to vacate the area within six days.

Back
Top Bottom