What's new

The Armor Division of Pakistan Army

Just for this, our infantry division is suitably equipped, in the form of potent of ATGM assets, let me count.....124 ATGMs plus a regiment worth of tanks for one infantry division is a potent enough punch, isnt it?
The Wehrmacht was low in number of tanks when compared with US/Soviets/Uk etc, just one panzer regiment of 140-150 panzers, still a Panzer Division played a very effective role.

@PanzerKiel

Pros and cons of deploying 1st and 6th in the same theater of war ? Can QM handle supply and Log ?

@PanzerKiel

Pros and cons of deploying 1st and 6th in the same theater of war ? Can QM handle supply and Log ?
Not just that, main problem will be space saturation. You cant even employ them in the same river corridor. Both their operational and logistic assets require so much space on ground. Moreover, employing them together means rest of the country is denuded of strategic reserves... Like 1 AD attacks from south Pakistan while also ensures that any Indian ingress in South Pakistan is eliminated as well.

Not just that, main problem will be space saturation. You cant even employ them in the same river corridor. Both their operational and logistic assets require so much space on ground. Moreover, employing them together means rest of the country is denuded of strategic reserves... Like 1 AD attacks from south Pakistan while also ensures that any Indian ingress in South Pakistan is eliminated as well.
PA has 6th in north, 26th in middle, and 25th in south. The variable is 1st AD.

T80UDs from the first delivery batch seems to have been decommissioned and placed as monument at Multan cantt.

Thanks to @iLION12345_1 for some additional info on this
1672635786682.png

T80UDs from the first delivery batch seems to have been decommissioned and placed as monument at Multan cantt.

View attachment 908945
I guess turning them over to the engineering corp to be transformed into recovery vehicles or bridge layers or anything else was not worth the hassle. Yet we continue on with T-69s?

The Mech divisions have an entirely different role altogether with regards to armor divisions.
Talked to a BM of an Armd Bde, he said the original plan was to raise new Armored Divs but that would send crisis of insecurity down baniya spine so settled on 25th Mechanized in Sindh and later brought up 26th Mechanized in Lower Punjab for quick movement/deployment of troops with anti-tank capability to bog down enemy armor with mobile anti-tank infantry.

I guess turning them over to the engineering corp to be transformed into recovery vehicles or bridge layers or anything else was not worth the hassle. Yet we continue on with T-69s?
Yes exactly, because of the situation in Ukraine and the inherent complexity of these machines, it is much much easier to keep a Type 69 running than a T80UD, we can produce spares for these (and we have enough spares to fix the things we cannot produce), but it’s not worth using them on these oldest UDs. Keep in mind that there’s many shared parts between the UD abs AK powertrains, so not wasting them makes sense, Also Keep in mind the first 35 UDs delivered to PA were quite inferior to the later 285, so PA might have decided it was not worth using spares and stuff on the older ones, especially once their hulls reached an unusable state (keep in mind the rest of the UDs were rebuilt and upgraded instead)

View attachment 908945
These had older Cast turrets and hence weaker armor and generally the quality of these early few tanks was not up to par with the later ones. I guess that played a part in this decision, though it could have been just this one specific Machine getting into an accident and being retired, but I assume it was the entire first batch because I haven’t seen those in any photos or videos for years now, unless they were upgraded to the later standards in the programme and we didn’t see it.

Or handing it over to a museum or technical academy/ university etc.

Yes exactly, because of the situation in Ukraine and the inherent complexity of these machines, it is much much easier to keep a Type 69 running than a T80UD, we can produce spares for these (and we have enough spares to fix the things we cannot produce), but it’s not worth using them on these oldest UDs. Keep in mind that there’s many shared parts between the UD abs AK powertrains, so not wasting them makes sense, Also Keep in mind the first 35 UDs delivered to PA were quite inferior to the later 285, so PA might have decided it was not worth using spares and stuff on the older ones, especially once their hulls reached an unusable state (keep in mind the rest of the UDs were rebuilt and upgraded instead)

These had older Cast turrets and hence weaker armor and generally the quality of these early few tanks was not up to par with the later ones. I guess that played a part in this decision, though it could have been just this one specific Machine getting into an accident and being retired, but I assume it was the entire first batch because I haven’t seen those in any photos or videos for years now, unless they were upgraded to the later standards in the programme and we didn’t see it.
The Museum would have been a lovely place !

Back
Top Bottom