What's new

Thar Coal Power Project

We should install atleast 6000 MW power plants in Thar which will use this coal. Also 1 block specifically needs to be designated for Coal to Gas and Coal to Gasoline plants. If I remember correctly I think cost of 1 barrel gasoline from coal is around $37-$45. If these prices are correct, then what spend $75 on importing a barrel ? We should be producing half of our oil demand from this coal.

Need huge investment though. Found this

"India has recently launched a major coal gasification programme to install coal gasification capacity of 100 mtpa by the year 2030, involving an investment of $65 billion."

Its work in progress. Will take few years for Thar coal to move to gratification. Right now there is no project approved.

Shanghai Electric employs 7,000 Pakistani workers in Thar, Sindh​

Sun, 20 Feb 2022,

https://www.app.com.pk/global/shanghai-electric-employs-7000-pakistani-workers-in-thar-sindh/#
Shanghai Electric employs 7,000 Pakistani workers in Thar, Sindh

Shanghai Electric employs 7,000 Pakistani workers in Thar, Sindh

BEIJING, Feb 20 (APP): Shanghai Electric has employed around 7,000 Pakistani workers in its coal mine and power plant projects in the Thar district of Sindh.

This was stated by Senior Directors of the company, Yao Fujun, and Gan Yongchao, the company said in a statement.

Shanghai Electric is the sponsor of Thar Coal Block I Integrated Mining and Power Plant projects through its subsidiaries, Sino-Sindh Resources Ltd. (SSRL) and Thar Coal Block I Power Generation Co. (TCB-1).

SSRL is a 9.8 million tons per annum open-pit lignite mining project, which unearthed the first layer of a 3 billion tons deposit on January 31. The integrated project also includes 1,320 megawatt mine-mouth coal-based power plant owned by TCB-1, which will power 4 million households. The projects are being executed under China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), China Economic Net (CEN) reported.

The Shanghai Electric directors in a briefing on the projects, their background, construction progress, CSR activities, and employment of the local workforce, said that as many as 7,000 Pakistanis were presently working on the projects’ sites.

During the briefing, the directors also spoke about the issues faced by the company due to Covid-19 restrictions and lockdowns.

Thar Coal Block-1 civil work to be completed this year​

May 9, 2022

According to a media report, civil works on the 1,320 MW Shanghai Electric Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Company (PVT) Ltd. project are expected to be completed this year.

Once the project is completed, the project’s energy production will be enough to power four million households in Pakistan. In addition, the multinational corporation Shanghai Electric hired both Pakistani and Chinese workers. There are about 5,000 employees working at the site of Thar Coal Block-1 Power Plant, among which a large amount are Muslims.

Civil works of the under-construction 1,320 MW Shanghai Electric Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Company (PVT) Ltd. project is planned to achieve its COD within this year.

Thar Coal Block-1 civil work to be completed this year​

May 9, 2022

According to a media report, civil works on the 1,320 MW Shanghai Electric Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Company (PVT) Ltd. project are expected to be completed this year.

Once the project is completed, the project’s energy production will be enough to power four million households in Pakistan. In addition, the multinational corporation Shanghai Electric hired both Pakistani and Chinese workers. There are about 5,000 employees working at the site of Thar Coal Block-1 Power Plant, among which a large amount are Muslims.

Civil works of the under-construction 1,320 MW Shanghai Electric Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Company (PVT) Ltd. project is planned to achieve its COD within this year.
Boosting domestic energy production is key to future economic growth in Pakistan. 100 million tonnes per year of coal extraction should be the goal of the next 5-10 years.

June 4, 2022
Thar-Block-I-Google-Earth.jpg

KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah Saturday laid the foundation stone of Rs182.3 billion water infrastructure project to provide water to an Independent Power Producers (IPPs) committed to generate 1650 MW coal-fired power in Thar Block-I.

He disclosed that it was the first ever water delivery project launched in the country on Public Private Partnership mode in Thar by attracting foreign direct investment (FDI).

The foundation stone laying ceremony was organised at Nabirsar near Umerkot and was attended by Provincial Minister for Energy Imtiaz Shaikh, Minister for Education Syed Sardar Shah, Minister for Irrigation Jam Khan Shoro, MNAs Mir Munawar Talpur, Dr Mahesh Malani, CM Special Assistant on Investment Syed Qasim Naveed, Consul General of Kuwait Salim Yusif Al Hamdan, CEO of Kuwaiti Company Enter Tech Holding Company Abdulla Al Mutairi, CEO Enertech Water Private Ltd Yasser Malik, Chairman Pakistan Kuwait Investment Company Mohammad Al Fares, Chinese experts working on the project and local notables.

The Sindh government was looking for investment in laying the water infrastructure for IPPs in Thar Block-I which will generate 1650 MW of power, the chief minister said and added for the purpose a canal was required to be constructed from the Farsh X-regulator to Nabisar for discharge of 200 Cusecs water.

He said that out of 200 cusecs, 45 cusecs would be supplied to IPPs of Thar Coal Block- I and remaining 155 cusecs water would be provided to Nabirsar for agriculture purposes. The CM said that considering the significant cost of the construction of a canal and the deadline set with the IPPs, the Sindh Cabinet decided to undertake this project through PPP mode.

Murad said that a Kuwaiti Investment Company, M/s Enertech Water Pvt. Ltd taking interest in the project submitted a proposal for the development and operation of the Water Supply Facility. Finally, the Concession Agreement was signed on 26th June 2021.

According to the project document, the Kuwaiti company is responsible to construct a 60.7 km pipeline of 45 cusecs capacity from Nabisar to Vajihar along with construction of two reservoirs with a capacity of 45 and 30 days at Nabisar and Vajihar respectively.

The reservoir capacity has been enhanced to incorporate evaporation loss.Under the contract the private partner has to establish a 4.8 MW Power Generation system for 48 cusecs pumping stations. There would be two pumping stations with a maximum capacity of 60 cusecs.

A Water Treatment System of 51 cusecs would also be established comprising flocculation/clarification and filtration to attain the required water quality as has been proposed. It would have a Project Control System (PCS). Murad Ali Shah said that the Project’s Transaction Structure has won global awards in two categories- the most Innovative Deal of the Year and Pakistan Deal of the Year’ and also won a runner up in one category- Project & Infrastructure Finance Deal of the Year from globally reputed Islamic Finance News (IFN).

The Project is expected to generate revenue of Rs 35 billion, over its life, for the Sindh government and it would be constructed in one-year time.

Replying to a question, the chief minister said that his government has raised the issue of unjust distribution of water with the federal government.

To a question about giving the positions of administrators of KMC and Hyderabad to MQM, the CM said that talks between his government and the MQM were in progress. He added that a meeting for the purpose was held yesterday – let us see what decisions are taken and would be shared with the media.

Murad Ali Shah said that the agreement inked with MQM was an open document and nothing has been made secret.

Provincial Minister for Energy Imtiaz Shaikh speaking on the occasion lauded the efforts of the chief minister to materialise the project. He added that 8 MTs of coal would be excavated from Thar Block-I for generation of 1650 MW power. Imtiaz Shaikh recalled that Shaheed Mohterma Benazir Bhutto foreseeing the future of Thar coal had said that “Thar will change Pakistan” and today her prediction has come true.

Minister Irrigation Jam Khan Shoro, addressing the ceremony, said that the people of Nabirsar have been demanding a water scheme. “Today the PPP government is meeting the demand by constructing a canal from Makhi regulator to Baisar so that local people can use it for drinking and agricultural purposes,” he said and added that simultaneously water through a pipeline would be supplied to Thar Block-I for power generation.

Minister Forest Taimur Khan Talpur said that under the guidance of PPP leadership the Sindh government has not only served the people of Sindh but contributed in the national flagship projects. He appreciated the vision of party leadership and hardwork of Sindh chief minister.

The Sindh government partners-CEO of Kuwaiti Company Enter Tech Holding Company Abdulla Al Mutairi speaking on the occasion said that he was keen to further strengthen his partnership with the Sindh government by bringing in more investment.

Appreciating Sindh chief minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, Muttairi said “he [CM] is the man of his words – whatever commitment he made with us has been fulfilled in time.” Earlier, the chief minister along with his private partner of Kuwaiti Company Abdulla Al Mutairi performed a groundbreaking ceremony and then unveiled the plaque for foundation stone.

Thar Coal Block-1 660MWs unit-1 set to enter commissioning : Official​

By Khalid Aziz | Gwadar Pro Jun 20, 2022

ISLAMABAD, June 20 (Gwadar Pro) - The 1,320 megawatts Thar Coal Block-1 (TCB-1) power plant has achieved an overall 85% work progress and the 660MWs unit-1 is close to entering commissioning, a senior official of TCB-1 told Gwadar Pro on Monday.

TCB-1 is the largest indigenous coal-based power plant project in Thar Block-1 under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) initiative. The mine-mouth plant will utilise the coal extracted by Sino-Sindh Resources Ltd. (SSRL). TCB-1 and SSRL are owned by Shanghai Electric, which has spent around US$3 billion to realise Pakistan’s dream of cheaper electricity from Thar coal reserves in Sindh province.

The official said that work was underway at a fast pace to connect the power plant to the national grid through Matiari-Lahore High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) transmission line. “We are in close coordination with the National Transmission and Dispatch Co. Ltd. to ensure early back energisation of unit-1 of the power plant,” he said.

Back energisation is among the first steps in commissioning a power plant, in which the plant is energised in reverse order through the national grid for performing various tests on the power plant and synchronising it with the national grid.

The back energisation will take three to four months after which unit-1 will be ready for commercial operations, the official said. The company is striving to start commercial operations by the end of the current year. Both units are expected to start electricity production early next year, he said.

TCB-1 will serve as many as 4 million households in Pakistan with an uninterrupted power supply. Shanghai Electric has so far employed 7,000 Pakistani workers in its Thar projects.
The 4,000MWs Matiari-Lahore is the first-ever HVDC transmission line completed under CPEC at $2.1 billion to evacuate electricity from CPEC power projects in Sindh province to load centres in Punjab province.

CMEC assembles heavy mining equipment in Pakistan​

By Khalid Aziz | Gwadar Pro Jul 28, 2022

ISLAMABAD, July 28 (Gwadar Pro)- In a major development, China Machinery Engineering Corp. (CMEC) started assembling heavy mining equipment for the first time in Pakistan to expand coal excavation operations at its Thar Coal Block-II project, an official told Gwadar Pro.
CMEC is the operator and the second largest shareholder in Pakistan’s first open-pit lignite mine and 660MWs integrated mine-mouth power plant in Thar Block-II under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
“We have assembled five Komatsu PC-2000 mining excavators and 18 Komatsu HD-875 trucks the first of its kind in Pakistan,” the official said.
In another milestone development, CMEC completed installation of a massive coal crushing plant in Thar Block-II. The plant has a capacity to crush 2,500 tons of coal rocks per hour into 350 millimetres stones for ready use by power plants. The crushing plant will be commissioned in the first week of August, the official said.
These developments will enable CMEC to expand its coal mining and crushing capacity and provide coal for 1,320MWs power plants in addition to its own 660MWs mine-mouth power plant, which is already operational.
Under the project, CMEC will provide coal to two 330MWs mine-mouth power plants (TEL and Thal Nova) and the 660MWs Lucky Power Plant in Port Qasim, Karachi, the official said. CMEC plans to start supplying coal to the mentioned plants by the end of 2022, he said. The firm has already been providing coal to Lucky Power Plant on pilot basis to test transportability of Thar coal, which has been a successful experiment, the official concluded.

Second power plant of 330MW (HUBCO) THAR Block 2 Coal Power Project Inaugurated by CM Sindh Murad Ali Shah .
Thar is now contributing 990 MW to the National Grid based on indigenous fuels, Inshallah another 1650 MW will be added in the next 6 months.

1659615058096.png

1659615089223.png

1659615120658.png

(APP): In a major development, China Machinery Engineering Corp. (CMEC) started assembling heavy mining equipment for the first time in Pakistan to expand coal excavation operations at its Thar Coal Block-II project, an official said on Thursday.

CMEC is the operator and the second largest shareholder in Pakistan’s first open-pit lignite mine and 660MWs integrated mine-mouth power plant in Thar Block-II under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

“We have assembled five Komatsu PC-2000 mining excavators and 18 Komatsu HD-875 trucks the first of its kind in Pakistan,” the official said.

In another milestone development, CMEC completed installation of a massive coal crushing plant in Thar Block-II.

The plant has a capacity to crush 2,500 tons of coal rocks per hour into 350 millimetres stones for ready use by power plants. The crushing plant will be commissioned in the first week of August, the official said.

These developments will enable CMEC to expand its coal mining and crushing capacity and provide coal for 1,320MWs power plants in addition to its own 660MWs mine-mouth power plant, which is already operational.

Under the project, CMEC will provide coal to two 330MWs mine-mouth power plants (TEL and Thal Nova) and the 660MWs Lucky Power Plant in Port Qasim, Karachi, the official said. CMEC plans to start supplying coal to the mentioned plants by the end of 2022, he said.

The firm has already been providing coal to Lucky Power Plant on pilot basis to test transportability of Thar coal, which has been a successful experiment, the official concluded.

Coal mining should be banned due to environmental problems like current floods and very hot summers which will increase every year.

CPEC: NTDC connects 330MWs Thal Nova power plant with national grid​

By Khalid Aziz | Gwadar Pro Aug 25, 2022

ISLAMABAD, Aug.25(Gwadar Pro) - The National Transmission and Dispatch Company (NTDC) connected the fourth 330MWs mine-mouth power plant built under China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) initiative at Thar coal Block II with the national grid.
“We successfully provided back feed supply/seller's interconnection facility for Thal Nova power plant through 500kV Thal Nova-Matiari transmission line,” NTDC said on Wednesday. The back feed supply energized the power plant for testing its electrical equipment, the statement added. After completion of the testing, the power plant will start contributing cheaper electricity to the national grid, NTDC said.
Thal Nova is one of the four 330MWs mine-mouth power plants installed at Thar Block II under CPEC. Engro Powergen Thar is already producing 660MWs electricity from its 2*330MWs power plants since 2019 while the 330MWs Thar Energy Ltd. started power generation recently.
The Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company (SECMC) will supply coal to the Thal Nova power plant together with the other three power plants. China Machinery Engineering Corp. (CMEC) is the EPC contractor and minority shareholder of the project. The power plant will utilize 1.9 million tons of coal to generate 2.24 billion units of electricity per annum. The project has been financed by Habib Bank as well as Chinese banks.
NTDC further said that it has connected all five power plants at Thar coal Block I and Block II with the national grid to evacuate cheaper electricity.

Thar Coal to generate 2600 MW electricity this year: Khurram Dastgir​

By Staff Reporter | APP Aug 26, 2022

MITHI, Aug 25 (APP):Federal Minister of Energy (Power Division) Engineer Khurram Dastgir Khan on Thursday said that Thar Coal Project would generate 2600 MW electricity this year and it would be one of the major energy project of the country.
Thar people have the right of employment in the project and in this regard directives were issued to the relevant companies, he said this while talking to APP during his visit to Thar Coal Block 1 and 2 and reviewed the power generation process.
He said the poor and elderly people of Thar have seen great miseries in the past, but the present government would provide health, education and employment opportunities to their new generation.
He said the coalition government would provide legal and constitutional rights to the people of Thar region. Matters regarding the provision of electricity to the villages of Thar were discussed and progress would be made in the coming days, he added.
The minister said the Thar Coal Project would bring prosperity not only to Thar but also for the entire country.
Khurram Dastgir recalled that Thar Coal project was launched in 2014-15 by former prime minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif and now this project had been generating cheapest electricity for the people.
He said several.projects had been completed while some were in the final stages of completion, adding that Thar Coal Project would generate 2600 MW electricity during current year which would be added to the national gird.

Thar Energy Limited's 330MW plant to commence operations from Oct 1

BR

6336c2d407f59.jpg

Thar Energy Limited (TEL), a joint venture between Hub Power Company Limited (HUBCO), Fauji Fertilizer Company Limited (FFC) and China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC), has successfully achieved commissioning, with Commercial Operations Date (COD) to take effect from October 1, 2022.

The development was shared by majority stakeholder HUBCO (60% stake) and FFC (30%) in separate notices to the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) on Friday.

“TEL is a joint venture between HUBCO, Fauji Fertilizer Company Limited (FFC) and China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC), formed for the purposes of establishing a 330 MW Mine-Mouth Coal-Fired Power Generation Complex at Thar Block II, District Tharparkar, Sindh, Pakistan under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC)," said HUBCO in its notice.

“The project has successfully achieved commissioning, with the COD to take effect from October 1, 2022, in terms of the Power Purchase Agreement dated July 27, 2017 entered into between TEL and the Central Power Purchasing Agency (Guarantee) Limited,” read the notice.

The company said that the latest development would enhance the collective power generation capacity of HUBCO and its group companies to 3,251 MW through the plants spread over Balochistan, Punjab, Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Sindh.

“The TEL project will be generating low cost energy from indigenous Thar coal thus reducing burden on national foreign exchange resource,” it added.

The development comes as the incumbent government looks to enhance its electricity generation capacity by utilising indigenous sources to meet the country's energy needs.

Earlier this month, Federal Minister for Energy Khurram Dastgir said as per his government’s energy policy, every new electricity generation plant in Pakistan will be set up using domestic sources i.e. hydel, solar, wind and Thar coal.

The development is critical as the country seeks to lower the import of energy commodities that is burning a hole in the national kitty, especially in the wake of Russia-Ukraine conflict, which has sent prices of gas and coal soaring, leaving little space for net energy importing countries like Pakistan.

Meanwhile, HUBCO appreciated the support extended by the Government of Pakistan, Government of Sindh, the Government of China and other private stakeholders over the completion of the project, it added in the notice.

Back
Top Bottom