What's new

Thar Coal Power Project

CPEC’s Thar Coal Block-1 project progressing quickly, says top official

February 9, 2021

786977_8676171_edit_updates.jpg

Mr Tariq Shah, Secretary Energy Department Government of Sindh, Mr Li Jigen CEO Sino Sindh Resources Private Limited and Mr Meng Donghai, CEO of Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Co, perform ribbon-cutting at the office opening of SSRL in Karachi at The Harbour Front.

KARACHI: Chief Operating Officer of the Sino Sindh Resources Private Limited (SSRL) Li Jigen said Monday that the Thar Coal Block-1 project, which is an important part of China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), is making rapid progress.

"Despite the COVID-19 pandemic and other obstacles, the mega project in Thar has picked up pace in recent times," he said according to a statement issued.

Tariq Shah, Sindh Energy Secretary and Meng Donghai, CEO of Thar Coal Block-1 Power Generation Co and Li Jigen shared more details about the project.

Tariq Shah lauded the progress made in the Thar Block-1 project which comprises a 7.8-million-tonne-per-annum (Mtpa) open-pit coal mine and installation of a 1.3 GW ultra-supercritical coal-fired power plant.

Almost 40% of work related to coal mining has been completed while construction work is also in progress on the power plant. Mining work would be completed by the end of 2021 and the first unit of the power plant would also start working from 2022.

The entire project would be completed by 2023.

SSRL Thar Coal Block-I 6.8 Mtpa & Power Plant(2×660MW) (Shanghai Electric)

Project

SSRL Thar Coal Block-I 6.8 mtpa & Power Plant(2×660MW) (Shanghai Electric)

Primary Energy Input
Coal (Local)

Technology
Sub-Critical

Installed Capacity (MW)

Province
Sindh
Estimated Cost (US $ Million)1912.12

Executing Company / S
ponsors
Shanghai Electric Power Company Limited / CCTEG and SSRL
F
inancing
Independent Power Producer (IPP)

Coordinating Ministry
Ministry of Energy (Power Division)

Supervising Agency
Private Power and Infrastructure Board (PPIB)

Project Progress Update
  • LOS issued (Under Financial Closing)
  • First Unit (660 MW) is targeted by Aug 2022
  • COD of complete project is targeted by Feb 2023

2x330MW Power Plant Projects at Thar Block-II Under Construction

They have provided jobs to 1838 local people and will provide more jobs to locals for the peak period of construction. CPEC projects are benefiting local communites!

1633960769777.png

1633960802375.png

1633960829332.png

BEIJING, Oct 10 (APP):The 330 MW Thar Energy Limited (TEL) Power Project in Thar Block-II being completed under China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) in Sindh province was making steady progress, said a senior Chinese official.

The TEL power plant was a 330MW mine-mouth lignite-fired power project being built by Thar Energy, which was owned by Hub Power Company (Hubco), China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC), and Fauji Fertilizer Company (FFC).

The TEL power plant would supply electricity to the national grid under a 30-year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). Two more coal-fired power plants named Engro Thar Block II power plant and ThalNova were also being developed in Thar Block II, CEN reported.

The Engro Thar Block II power plant was a coal-fired power station in the Tharparkar district, Sindh. It was Pakistan’s first power plant to use the indigenous coal reserves of Thar.

The 660MW power plant, which was part of CPEC, was developed by Engro Powergen Thar (EPTL), a joint venture of Engro Powergen (EPL), China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC), Habib Bank, and Liberty Mills. Construction on the Engro Thar Block II power plant was commenced in April 2016. Trial operations at the plant began in July 2018 while commercial operations began in July 2019.

The coal-fired subcritical power plant was located five kilometres away from Thar Block II near Thar coalfields in Sindh province. It consisted of two 330MW subcritical units, which integrated circulating fluidised bed (CFB) boilers, tandem compound steam turbine units, and generators. CFB was an ideal option for the low-calorific-value Thar lignite coal.

It helped to regulate the plant’s environmental footprint by reducing nitrogen oxide emissions and capturing sulphur oxides. The 20kV, 50Hz, three-phase intercooled generators featured a hydrogen-cooled rotor and stator core, as well as water-cooled rotor windings.

The power plant was also equipped with associated equipment and systems such as cyclones, air pre-heaters, and water walls. Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company (SECMC) supplied approximately 3.8 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) of coal for the coal-fired power plant from a new opencast mine.

SECMC was a joint venture (JV) by the Government of Sindh (GoS) and Engro Powergen (EPGL). The JV was formed to extract the coal reserves available at the seventh biggest coal mine site in the Thar Desert in Sindh province.

The new coal-fired power plant fed electricity to a 500kV double-circuit transmission line of the grid network between Thar and the Hesco grid station in Jamshoro. The estimated cost of the Engro Thar power plant was US $995.4 million – funded by a syndicate led by China Development Bank (CDB) with the support from China Export and Credit Insurance Corporation (Sinosure).

The syndicate included Habib Bank, United Bank, Bank Alfalah, National Bank Pakistan, Faysal Bank, Construction Bank of China, and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC). ThalNova was a second similar 330MW power plant being developed in the same block. The financial closing for the power plant was achieved in September 2020 and the commercial operations are scheduled for 2022.

€170 Million investment by Al Furqan Group UAE, for the construction of a new 105km rail track under #Thar Coal Rail Track Project.

Railway Constructions Pakistan Limited (RAILCOP) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with M/s Al Furqan Holdings Private Ltd and BIL Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd for the construction of a new 105-kilometer rail track in Thar Coal...

Major coal find in thar coal block 1 ....coal equivalent to 5 billions barral of Oil discovered...all major channels were just reporting it as breaking news

Honestly our people are utterly stupid and idiots. Yes it’s a major find but we knew all along that it’s there. And yes it’s dirty quality coal and it’s not the substitute for other fuel types ….. totally ignorant idiots.
Today Sindh CM called it a vision of Benazir …. I almost spilled my tea thinking WTF Bhutto has to do with this discovery …

I don't believe this loud mouth gov, lets wait at least a year or something
Too many bongias from this gov

Honestly our people are utterly stupid and idiots. Yes it’s a major find but we knew all along that it’s there. And yes it’s dirty quality coal and it’s not the substitute for other fuel types ….. totally ignorant idiots.
Today Sindh CM called it a vision of Benazir …. I almost spilled my tea thinking WTF Bhutto has to do with this discovery …
She was up in heavens trying to help us by guiding GOS and GOP
Its her vision sir

Great Pakistani media.............................

z0m813-19.gif

Back
Top Bottom