What's new

Tax Real Estate

muse

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Going thru the papers, I came across this editorial (below) - I thought it an excellent proposal, lets see if it sees the light of day

Taxing real estate
By Editorial
Published: July 11, 2013

The move by the Rawalpindi city government to begin levying taxes on real estate, including enforcing newer, higher rates, may sound painful for those who have to pay them, but is a necessary one and should be replicated by other governments throughout the country. It is high time that property owners paid their fair share of taxes and it is the job of provincial revenue departments to make that happen.

When the Eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution and the Seventh National Finance Commission Award were negotiated, there was an understanding that while the federal government would supply the provinces with significant revenues, they would each seek to increase their own revenues as well. The conversation around provincial taxes often frequently gets bogged down into talk about agricultural income taxes. However, the real tax that is likely to yield far more revenue is one on residential and commercial real estate.

Pakistan’s financial system is highly underdeveloped and so the country’s rich people do not really park their money in stocks and bonds or even bank accounts. They buy real estate, which accounts for a disproportionately high percentage of their net worth. The government has had considerable difficulty in going after rich people’s incomes because they are frequently undocumented. But taxing their properties should be considerably easier and the provincial governments should do so immediately. To this end, the process of creating computerised land registries in every province should be accelerated. Punjab and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa have already started. Sindh and Balochistan would do well to follow suit. We would also recommend that the tax be levied not on the amount of land, but its actual value, so as to ensure that wealthier people pay a higher tax rate.

Levying this tax will not be easy and there will be some very strong opposition to it, but that is the point: nobody likes paying taxes. They have to be forced into it, kicking and screaming if necessary.

Going thru the papers, I came across this editorial (below) - I thought it an excellent proposal, lets see if it sees the light of day

A great proposal, but one that will create good opportunities for the value assessors to be entertained appropriately to ensure that "proper" assessments are determined. Already there is a dual system in place. Papers indicate a palatable transactional value of any real estate deal, supported on the side by undocumented cash payments. Everybody wins except the State.

Already there is a dual system in place. Papers indicate a palatable transactional value of any real estate deal, supported on the side by undocumented cash payments. Everybody wins except the State.

Can you elaborate on this dual system and how it works?

A great proposal, but one that will create good opportunities for the value assessors to be entertained appropriately to ensure that "proper" assessments are determined. Already there is a dual system in place. Papers indicate a palatable transactional value of any real estate deal, supported on the side by undocumented cash payments. Everybody wins except the State.

what tax is in the proposal ?

Can you elaborate on this dual system and how it works?

Say I buy a commercial building from you and we agree on a price of PKR 50 million. We draw up papers for a sale price of PKR 10 million, all duty stamped and registered, and I give you PKR 40 million on the side, in cash. We go to the property registrar who takes PKR 1 million to register the sale as proper and correct according to prevailing prices. We split that cost 50:50. I save on future taxes and you save taxes on the receipts. The property registrar duly shares his proceeds up the food chain.

Pretty soon the whole commercial area is underrecorded at a fraction of the actual transactional prices.

Everybody wins. Except the State of course.

Say I buy a commercial building from you and we agree on a price of PKR 50 million. We draw up papers for a sale price of PKR 10 million, all duty stamped and registered, and I give you PKR 40 million on the side, in cash. We go to the property registrar who takes PKR 1 million to register the sale as proper and correct according to prevailing prices. We split that cost 50:50. I save on future taxes and you save taxes on the receipts. The property registrar duly shares his proceeds up the food chain.

Pretty soon the whole commercial area is underrecorded at a fraction of the actual transactional prices.

And who is the state?

And who is the state?

The State is the entity who receives the actual paid taxes on PKR 10 million to spend on important things like Army, VIP patrols and the Presidency kitchen, instead of taxes on PKR 50 million to spend on foreign trips, free travel for PIA staff and medical coverage for MNAs in private hospital in London. See so much more can be paid for if more taxes are paid.

The State is the entity who receives the actual paid taxes on PKR 10 million to spend on important things like Army, VIP patrols and the Presidency kitchen, instead of taxes on PKR 50 million to spend on foreign trips, free travel for PIA staff and medical coverage for MNAs in private hospital in London. See so much more can be paid for if more taxes are paid.

No Argus Panoptes state is you and I.

No Argus Panoptes state is you and I.

No Sir. You and I are the people who will buy substandard goods sold at exorbitant prices in the commercial property that was just sold. We don't get anything, except exemplary moral training afforded by 18 hour a day loadshedding and the honor to wait in the six hour traffic jams while the VIP motorcade cruises on by.

Sorry to butt in..

Aren't there designated ' circle rates' for each region specifying each type of property based upon which the govt collects taxes & stamp duty.

You can strike a deal for any amount you feel - the Govt collects its share based on these rates that are revised from time to time.

Sorry to butt in..

Aren't there designated ' circle rates' for each region specifying each type of property based upon which the govt collects taxes & stamp duty.

You can strike a deal for any amount you feel - the Govt collects its share based on these rates that are revised from time to time.

So if the circle rates are set properly, the gravy train for the officials will stop. Why would I pay them if I cannot save on my taxes? Hence, the officials' interests are to keep the rates revised "properly" so that I have incentives to pay them a share. And if the gravy trains glides down the tracks from field offices all the way to the highest offices in Islamabad, who is going to stop it?

Sorry to butt in..

I thought the rates are set by the government for Agricultural and housing land.....government rate is the minimum threshold.

In India most of the time it is sold above that price and people try to save money on stamp duties and taxes but because banks have your tax number moving money isn't as easier as it was 10 years ago.

So if the circle rates are set properly, the gravy train for the officials will stop. Why would I pay them if I cannot save on my taxes? Hence, the officials' interests are to keep the rates revised "properly" so that I have incentives to pay them a share. And if the gravy trains glides down the tracks from field offices all the way to the highest offices in Islamabad, who is going to stop it?

Property is sold at rates way above the Govt Circle rates.

Often the Registrar has the property valued himself to verify if the transaction was genuine .

Back
Top Bottom