What's new

Tarique against religion-based politics

Mattrixx

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
BNP Senior Vice Chairman Tarique Rahman has said political parties should not be based on religion even though the alliance led by his party has multiple constituents of that nature.

Religion could contribute to politics but no party should be based solely upon it, he said at the event to mark BNP’s 36th founding anniversary in East London on Tuesday.

He quoted his father, former military ruler Ziaur Rahman, urging leaders and activists to pay heed to his contention.

“Ziaur Rahman while he was president told a workshop on September 1980 that political ideal cannot be based on religion,” he reminded.

“We’ve learned from experience that politics of that kind doesn’t work, it didn’t during Pakistan era.”

Tarique felt that religion-based political groups in Bangladesh have failed despite repeated efforts.

“There are many among us who have tried to create political essence and outline based on religion. But invariably they have failed.”

The BNP leads the 20-Party alliance that has an array of Islamic groups, including the Jamaat-e-Islami which played a central role in the war crimes committed during Bangladesh’s Liberation War.

BNP has also been protesting against the calls to ban Jamaat.

Tarique, accused in a slew of criminal cases at home, left Dhaka after an army-backed Caretaker government took over in 2008.

He has been living in the UK with his family since then.

He made a public appearance in May last year in a BNP function in London and since then has been participating in party events.

Tarique against religion-based politics -
bdnews24.com

Well he makes sense :coffee:

Well, I have been thinking about it for long, have we misinterpreted Ziaur Rahman's ideology of Bangladeshi Nationalism? The common perception about the ideology is that it is intrinsically related to Muslim nationalism which is purely incorrect! To quote Ziaur Rahman directly:

Bangladeshi nationalism means, we are Bangladeshis. We have a different history. Our country has been through a different process. Our traditions and culture are different. Our language is different, we are moulding it in our own way—we are modernizing it. We have different prose and poetry; we have different arts and thoughts. Our geographical position is different, our rivers and soils are different. Our people are different. We are completely free and sovereign… And today, a consciousness has grown among our people, which is different from that of the people of our neighboring country and other countries of the region.

Where is religion there?

Besides, one should consider the fact that Ziaur Rahman began to popularize the ideology when Sheikh Mujib failed to assimilate the indigenous people with the mainstream population.

Who came up with the name "Bangladesh"? I have been thinking about it. Why didn't we settle with East Bengal, Bengal or Banglastan?

You guys should read my thread about religion based politics, Political Islam and extremism here:
Saudis Must Stop Exporting Extremism
How to stop Islamic extremism: Global Fiqh Council (GFC)

I will be developing these two threads more in the future. And I support Tarique's stand on this issue. Jamat based on Moududism, a sister version of Qutbism, I never supported this. It is a milder version of extremist Islam, but it is extremism nonetheless. My view has been that it is Bidaa or innovation. Politics and religion should not mix, Mullah's wanting to implement Sharia cannot run govt., this has been a failure every where, including in Iran, which is Shia version of Qutbism.

The seed started with Ibn Taymiyyah and then Ibn Abdul Wahhab and finally by Jamal Afghani and his later disciples. Both factions today are in control of oil fields in Arab countries and in Iran, spreading this nonsense in Muslim world, both among and Sunni and Shia and creating fitnah.

Unfortunately Indian terrorism made BNP dependent on Jamat. Lets see how this situation develops in the future.

You guys should read my thread about religion based politics, Political Islam and extremism here:

I will be developing these two threads more in the future. And I support Tarique's stand on this issue. Jamat based on Moududism, a sister version of Qutbism, I never supported this. It is a milder version of extremist Islam, but it is extremism nonetheless. My view has been that it is Bidaa or innovation. Politics and religion should not mix, Mullah's wanting to implement Sharia cannot run govt., this has been a failure every where, including in Iran, which is Shia version of Qutbism.

The seed started with Ibn Taymiyyah and then Ibn Abdul Wahhab and finally by Jamal Afghani and his later disciples. Both factions today are in control of oil fields in Arab countries and in Iran, spreading this nonsense in Muslim world, both among and Sunni and Shia and creating fitnah.

Unfortunately Indian terrorism made BNP dependent on Jamat. Lets see how this situation develops in the future.

Come on man.....do not blame the reason of failure of BNP to come to power on India always...You are just lowering the self respect of your own nation...

Why should this make news? Tareq has been true to his political ideology and made some consistent remarks. If he were to believe otherwise we would have seen him as member of a religion-based political party instead of being a member of BNP. Like his father and unlike the Awamis he didn't say or imply that religion based politics shouldn't or wouldn't be tolerated.

Why should this make news? Tareq has been true to his political ideology and made some consistent remarks. If he were to believe otherwise we would have seen him as member of a religion-based political party instead of being a member of BNP. Like his father and unlike the Awamis he didn't say or imply that religion based politics shouldn't or wouldn't be tolerated.

This made news because by tarique's statements, his 20 party alliance is very upset.
BTW 20 party alliance is formed with many islamic fundamentalist Taliban like parties.

What's the big fuss abt it? BNP is a pluralistic party. Pres. Zia believed in giving political space to all parties including islamic ones and also vermin such as bakshali AL. He realized islam is the prominent part of BD's society and respected that. As long as tariq zia politically have the same opinion as his father's i see no problem with that. BNP is a big tent party and unlike AL doesn't revolve around personality cult.

Big tent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With due respect u have ill-informed views on islam and politics. I saw that thread and u bad mouthed salafist as well. Salafist movements itself have different sub-sects some of which protruded to extremism. DO MB/JI or similar like minded parties support extremism? Did any of them took arms under heinous persecution they were/are going through? Extremist rather have a hatred for both saudi salafis (pro-monarch) as well as MB/JI type political parties as they take part in democratic elections.

I hope this article will help u have a broaden perception on such things:
On Salafi Islam | Dr. Yasir Qadhi - MuslimMatters.org

And u r bringing Ibn Taymiyyah in? DO u know the kind of scholar he was? Muslims of all school of thought have very high regard for him. He is regarded as one of the greatest islamic scholar of all time, who fought against the social ills of his time.

BNP-JI is electoral allaince. BKZ made it clear plenty of times. If u don't know abt BD's electoral landscape u would make such naive statements. If fair inclusive elections r held BNP-JI guarantees victory and as such AL was and still is hell bent of breaking the allaince. BD has a first-pass poll system where winner of a constituency takes all. Apart from their strong holds JI commands some 10000 votes in all constituencies and in an electoral alliance , all those votes fall on BNP's camp which become more important given the in fighting within both BNP & AL during elections with rival independent candidates from both parties eating up certain portions of each parties votes. Those votes do make a difference between winning & loosing. JI contested in all seats in 96 and u know the result while in 2001 they the allaince got 200 + seats. In 91 JI backed BNP to form the gov to make up numbers. Their biggest mistake was IMO backing AL's care taker "movement" in 96. They r paying for it now though.

Whats wrong with his remark? He said religion may contribute to politics , but politics should not evolve around regilion only

what he meant land, people , culture beside religion. This is why he is the leader of Bangladesh Nationalist Party, Not Bangladesh Islamic Party.

Matrixx you are worse than a White supremacist, don't comment or start these topics.

Whats wrong with his remark? He said religion may contribute to politics , but politics should not evolve around regilion only

what he meant land, people , culture beside religion. This is why he is the leader of Bangladesh Nationalist Party, Not Bangladesh Islamic Party.

Could you explain the bold part?

He didn't mention religion at all!

Could you explain the bold part?

He didn't mention religion at all!
Religion could contribute to politics but no party
should be based solely upon it, he said at the
event to mark BNP’s 36th founding anniversary
in East London on Tuesday.

The word 'solely' is the key.

without drawing aspiration from people nation building and progress are not possible. Islamic aspirations are part of national fabric of Bangladesh and can not be suppressed. People choice, equality, freedom are all inspired and shaped by Islamic identity and heritage over 100s of years. For readers one crucial thing to understand is that Bangladesh journey/struggle as independent country started hundreds of years ago NOT in 1971. Tareq like his father tried to make that point (not so elegant way). indo Awami propaganda masters are desperate taking word out of anyone mouth and spreading deception and creating division. Matrixx is just good foot soldier for these indo awami propaganda.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom