What's new

Tamilnadu oppose India's Sanskrit week

I didn't drag KK, just showing the possibility that the coastal region could have submerged thus separating Lanka from mother Tamilnadu

If you check some online sources it say the Nagas and Yakkhas (Yakshas in Sanskrit) were from South India, not sure if the Mahavamsa adopts the same view ,

Lankan source claim Ravana a Yakkha king , Tamils claim ownership too , India Aryans disown him, you decide who has the ownership rights
Please, mention your sources.

"The Sinhalese script originated from the Brahmi script, thought to have been brought from Northern India, around the 3rd century B.C. Thereafter it underwent a largely separate process of development, than the mainland scripts. It was also influenced by south Indian scripts, at various stages of its development, particularly the Pallava script (early Grantha script)."

Sinhala script never originate from Northern Bramhi that aothe lie, check this diagram it might help ,

brah11.gif

Please, mention your sources.

normally I don't entertain Sinhalas silly demands but you seem like nice fellow, so I oblige

emperor-ravana1.jpg

Emperor Ravana lived nearly 5000 years ago in Sri Lanka. He was a descendant of ‘Surya Wansha’ of ‘Hela Yakka’ tribe (ancient Sinhala tribe). King Ravana was one of the best fighters in Angampora, the traditional martial arts of ancient Sinhale.

◇ Learning about king Ravana | Ravana - The Greatest Emperor of Asia

Sinhala script never originate from Northern Bramhi that aothe lie, check this diagram it might help ,
Was there a script called 'Northern Bramhi', this diagram proves my quote. Look at it clearly.

Yes, it is a pretty interesting subject to do a linguistic research. There is a book on
Sinhala-Hindi similarity dictionary
in Sinhala letters
1st ed.
Subash Chawla, Ven. Gnānapāla.
Published 1991 .

When I hear a Hindi song, I can identify some words which sounds similar to Sinhala.
Examples:
Neele Gagan Ke Tale, Dharti Ka Pyaar Pale
Nadiya Ka Paani, Dariya Se Milke,
Saagar Ki Aur Chale

Yeh Jeevan Hai, Is Jeevan Ka
Bandhan Yuh Na Todo

Meherbaan likhoon, haseena likhoon, ya dilrooba likhoon
Yeh mera prempatr padhkar ke tum naaraaz na hona
Ke tum meri zindagi ho, ke tum meri bandagi ho

Chein Nahin Bahaar Chein Nahin Ghar Mein
Mann Mera Dharti Par Aur Kabhi Ambar Mein
Usko Dhoondha Har Dagar Mein Har Nagar Mein
Gali Gali Dekha Nayan Uthaaye

The above song also have some Persian origin words. Listen to this Hindi song, it uses very pure poetic Hindi with loads of Sanskrit words. Hope you will understand most of it. ;)

normally I don't entertain Sinhalas silly demands but you seem like nice fellow, so I oblige

emperor-ravana1.jpg

Emperor Ravana lived nearly 5000 years ago in Sri Lanka. He was a descendant of ‘Surya Wansha’ of ‘Hela Yakka’ tribe (ancient Sinhala tribe). King Ravana was one of the best fighters in Angampora, the traditional martial arts of ancient Sinhale.

◇ Learning about king Ravana | Ravana - The Greatest Emperor of Asia
It is an interesting Sinhalese site to know about King Ravana. Thanks

Was there a script called 'Northern Bramhi', this diagram proves my quote. Look at it clearly.

That diagram is from a Sinhala source - Lanka web , so you can expect fabrication, its too obvious that Sinhala Script belongs to the Pallava script of the Brahmi . You still have long way to go on the historic origins of Brahmi , which is Aramaic

I didn't drag KK, just showing the possibility that the coastal region could have submerged thus separating Lanka from mother Tamilnadu

KK is a myth. Submerged land bridge between Indian and Sri Lanka is a truth.

If you check some online sources it say the Nagas and Yakkhas (Yakshas in Sanskrit) were from South India, not sure if the Mahavamsa adopts the same view ,

You and your online sources.......

Lankan source claim Ravana a Yakkha king , Tamils claim ownership too , India Aryans disown him, you decide who has the ownership rights

Ravana is a myth. There is no reason to believe that he is from Sri Lanka. Tamils can claim him. WTF?

I do not know whether Indo-Aryan and dravidian have a common origin. To be honest i am not expert on these things except sinhala which i know :) so cant comment on that.
I am saying though Sinhala is categorized as Indo Aryan, there is a strong dravidian element in Sinhala which hints at dravidian origin of sinhala ppl. The ones who did such categorization were white ppl who knew sinhala and english. But ppl who know both sinhala and tamil say there is a strong dravidian element in Sinhala.
I get why you are confused. Even in this thread sinhalese are saying different things regarding sinhala language :)
Some of the sinhala ppl want to downplay dravidian component in SL like some in this thread.

However Sinhala is unique in that it is influenced by both sanskrit and dravidian alike. Imagine some dravidians from south India were joined by some North indians who had sanskrit based languages and joined with some dravidian natives, with constant pali language training for 2000+ years. The result is a language which is influenced by both. That is what sinhala is.

thanks for the infor. btwn it was not me who said vellalar were brought by dutch for tobacco plants. It was another one. I know vellalars were here before that.
i guess you support caste system :)
Tamil wasn't used in formation of Sinhalese language. The core structure of Sinhalese is Sanskrit. We have only burrowed words from Tamil. Sinhalese and Tamil is like English and French.

Also on words we have only Tamil words in our speaking language. Our written language is still Sanskrit based. That explains many things.

Only in those times Tamils became prominent. That is why we have our Tamil influence in the language. Tamil mainly influenced our day to day language that means the core of the Sinhalese culture wasn't impacted by it. If so our written language should also have being changed. We see this in English with it's heavy Latin and French influence in written words.

To get proper decisions in current day politics we need to refer to the history. We cannot neglect history just because the demography is changed. Also remembering our past doesn't make any one unfairly treated. It is only the people who believes that there was Tamil eelam that get hurt when mentioned the history.

It is not because of the words that Sinhalese is categorized under Indo-Aryan language family.

That is why I say Tamils of Northern SL are recent migrants rather than natives. If anyone lived in a separate location independently for so many years, they should have created there own culture and language.

There were no historic record of any kingdom from India waging wars with Northern Tamils. Not even King Asoka was bothered about them. Every one waged war with Sinhalese. That also explains why there was no Tamil eelam in northern Sri Lanka.

Show me one.

Wrong statement.

no it is not,you have no idea,i am a tamizh and all this history is proper and recorded.you look for sources which have no idea to record history properly.

KK is a myth. Submerged land bridge between Indian and Sri Lanka is a truth.

I agree Ramayana is an Aryan myth but you are contradicting yourself , if there was a bridge - then it was used by people to cross the sea and if the bridge was submerged it supports my theory of rising tides

I will check what Mahavamsa and online sources have to say on Nagas / Yakkha for confirmation - if they were an exotic Tamil tribe

Ptolemy, the famous Greek geographer and astronomer who lived between 85 AD and 165 AD and travelled around the world refers to Naga kingdoms on the Coromandel coast and points out the place-names, Nagoor and Nagapatinam, in support. The fact that EIA settlements of Tamil Nadu and the northern Sri Lanka which bear similarities show that the early settlers of the north were Naga people. The Nagas were good sea traders and Ptolemy observed that one of the oldest seaports of the Island was in the Northern part of the Jaffna Peninsula. They worshiped serpents, which is in the icon of Lord Siva. Hindu sculptures depict Siva wearing a serpent around his neck.

The occurrence of a large amount of personal names with the element Naga in the earliest cave inscriptions indicates their presence in different parts of the country. Names of six of the ten kings who ruled Anuradhapura between 135 AD and 248 AD, a period of 113 years have Naga in their names. The Nagas' religious practices still prevail among the Hindus and Buddhists. They worship serpents by offering milk and eggs. They do not keep garuda’s (falcon) pictures in the house because it is an enemy of serpents.

Last edited:
no it is not,you have no idea,i am a tamizh and all this history is proper and recorded.you look for sources which have no idea to record history properly.
Do Tamil and Tamizh same or not?

I agree Ramayana is an Aryan myth but you are contradicting yourself here if there was a bridge - them it was used by people to cross over and if the bridge was submerged it supports my theory of rising tides
I will check what Mahavamsa and online sources have to say on Yakkha for confirmation - if they were an exotic Tamil tribe
Sometimes earlier there was a proposal to connect SL with India by a bridge. However, with these ongoing riots in TN, it will never become possible.

Last edited:
Do Tamil and
Sometimes earlier there was a proposal to connect SL with India by a bridge. However, with these ongoing riots in TN, it will never become possible.

for ecological reasons cant built a bridge - Adam's bridge, but a ferry service or under water rail link if viable , will be good e.g English channel tunnel

Do Tamil and Tamizh same or not?
both are same,though the correct pronunciation is 'thamizh'..
In Tamil language 'l' and 'zh' sounds are interchangeable.like malai or mazhai,moli or mozhi,thamil or thamizh...
The sound 'zh' is peculiarity of dravidan languages like Malayalam and Tamil..In halegannada(old Kannada) also,but not used in the modern Kannada..

Actually the most similar script I've seen to Sinhala is Oriya
yes..its also from brahmi script...

Last edited:
@abjktu
419px-Grantha_ConsComp.gif

From above chart, I can see some influence of Malayalam script to Sinhala too (consonants - ga, sha).

@abjktu

From above chart, I can see some influence of Malayalam script to Sinhala too (consonants - ga, sha).
yes..possible..because both evolved from brahmi script...so we can expect some similarities...

@abjktu

have you ever been to Kerala????
it looks exactly like that of srilanka in geography,climate food,peoples,culture...etc etc..the only variation is religion and language...

Last edited:
have you ever been to Kerala????
it looks exactly like that of srilanka in geography,climate food,peoples,culture...etc etc..the only variation is religion and language...
No, I haven't got a chance yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom