What's new

Talibanisation in karachi

shuakataftab

Reaction score
SOURCE:The rise of the Taliban, the fall of Karachi
Earlier this week, a family friend got off from her car and walked to a chemist’s shop in a busy shopping area of Karachi. She was wearing a normal shalwar- kameez suit that most Karachi women wear in public areas. Nothing out of the ordinary. As she walked to the shop, a man approached her and showed her a pistol.

But instead of robbing her, he gave her a chilling message: “Next time you come in public, cover yourself from head to toe.” This happened in full public view on a busy Karachi street. But no one seemed to notice and the man did not in any way seem in any hurry or worry.

The reference of this incident happening to a family friend has only been done to make people understand that this is not an urban myth but a reality. It is happening in Karachi, the country’s largest and possibly most open city. There are more worrisome incidents than one can recall.

Many businessmen have received calls on their cell phones in which the caller does not identify himself but does confirm the name of the person he has called. After a couple of days comes another call. And then another. The businessman is told to contribute a certain amount to the Tehreek-e-Taliban.

One businessman shrugged this off as a hoax. But soon enough there were men who called at his house and made the same demand, only this time they also mentioned that they not only knew where he lived, but where he worked, which schools his children went to, and other details.

The man ended up paying. No one knows who these people are. Some say they are criminals who are using the name of the Taliban. Who knows?

A family in Clifton last month received a notice which was addressed to the father. In it, he was told to ensure that his daughters — who were described in the letter in very negative terms — should be told to stay home since they were seen to be of loose character. The letter warned the father to take action, otherwise the mosque will have to “do something.” The crime of these girls apparently was that they were seen too frequently moving around and that too in Western clothes.

The writers of this threatening letter even disclosed their identity. The claimed to be from a prominent mosque, situated in the market area of Clifton. The shaken family did as they were told. Many families have received such letters and in most instances they have complied. No action or questions have been asked of the people at this mosque. The police shrugs this off as nothing important.

Last year, this mosque was identified by the MQM when it made an outcry on the rise in Talibanisation in Karachi. But the People’s Party government has been denying the rise of extremist forces in Karachi for the year since it has been in power
. Some say that the motives of the MQM are suspect. Their agenda is more political. But then again, who is right and who is wrong?

Stories continue to surface of the growing influence of such elements. Women who travel without their heads covered in public transport have been spat upon. In some instances by other women.

The media has helped confuse the people even more. Programmes aired by our leading channels on religious issues sometimes misguide instead of guide. They play on the sentiments of people only to get better ratings. After all, one of the most prominent religious show hosts ended up becoming a minister.

The tragedy, if one may call it that, is that there is a growing number of people in Karachi who welcome the arrival of the purveyors of quick and cheap justice. And are willing to defend, fund and shelter them. They sympathise with the soldiers of their brand of Islam because the government has let them down. And they are frustrated over the growing incidents of crime and lawlessness and have no hope in the government addressing these issues. Both the military junta and the elected peoples representatives are seen more interested in protecting and enriching themselves than providing good governance to the people. This is the public perception.

Two video clips that have been circulating on the Internet only add to people’s fear and plays on their insecurity. One clip, which is perhaps one of the most watched and forwarded clips in Pakistan this week, shows how a man is mugged while he is taking money out of an ATM in Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi.

The clip, which was taken off a security camera of the bank, clearly shows the face of the man, the two men who rob him and the look of frustration and helplessness on the victim’s face once the deed is done. While there is no violence, except where the robber shows the poor man a gun and then hides it, it leaves one disturbed and it is chilling for anyone who has any care for Pakistan. Is this what we have been reduced to, and where do we go from here?

The other clip, which has not been seen by as many people, is violent and much more chilling. This clip was made from a mobile phone by the accomplice of a man who is currently in police custody. This is now known as the “Hajiano case” or the “White Corolla case.” This man robbed people and raped women at will for a year. This clip relates to one incident where a woman is being assaulted.

The clip numbs the brain and makes one bay for blood. After seeing this video, people have said that an exemplary punishment should be given to the perpetrator. One hopes this is done, but there are many who have expressed fears that the case will soon be forgotten. The women’s rights organisations which had earlier come out on the streets now seem to have been lulled into silence. Let us hope for justice. There are some who say that this matter would have been settled had the Taliban been in charge.

These are worrisome sentiments. In his speech this week, President Obama has committed more money to Pakistan to crush Al-Qaeda. He said in his speech that the Al-Qaeda and its extremist allies (like the Taliban) are a cancer that risks killing Pakistan from within. The problem is that many Pakistanis do not see it like that anymore.

To defeat extremist elements, the US and Pakistan have to do more than pump in more military and economic assistance which never reaches the common man. There is a larger battle, for the hearts and minds of the people of Pakistan, which needs to be fought. This is not being done.

We do not want any more VOA-TV type propaganda that, in its condescending way creates more enemies then friends. We want a proper dialogue with the US and the West over what its goals are and whether these are our goals as well. Whether we like it or not, the battle for a safer America cannot be won if the people of Pakistan are not convinced. This is the stark reality, no matter how many drone attacks are carried out on the one hand and assistance is given to our government on the other.

It was true of the Musharraf government and is becoming increasingly true of the Zardari government too. The people of Pakistan are not seen as stakeholders in the battle against militants and extremism. It is too often said that while the West talks to our leaders, Al Qaeda and the Taliban talk to the people. Sadly, this is an issue President Obama has not addressed.

Last edited:
Last year when these news and informations were coming from MQM even i didnot believed them but day by day it is being prooved that they were right

guys seriously this threat has to be dealt with iron hand. many expatriate Pakistanis will deny this but it getting out of hand. An extremist Pakistan is far more dangerous then a stable and strong moderate Pakistan.

in India , these Hindu radicals are trying to impose their kind of culture but common people showed them middle finger[pink panty incident] and a group is banned in one state. they have no future in india. similar way common people from Pakistan have to take charge for this but gun culture of Pakistan is going to hurt common people's effort so gop has to take strong action. if not taken Pakistan will end up bring in mayhem with trouble for whole sub continent.:sniper:

Its enough when is this Gov gona wake up i mean this is got out of hand most of these terriost dont belong to Pak almost all of them are outsiders and this is a shame that Gov is letting this happen without crackdowns and deporting ,hanging and killing these bastards for trying to change or way of life and taking inccent people's lives look all they have done are doing and perhaps will do GOD help us all.

Last edited:
I have said this before and I'll say it again (this is purely a personal opinion based on what I see/read about this topic)... These people are nothing more than extortionists and thugs; albeit with long beards and links to mosques.

The only difference between these criminals and their mafioso counterparts in virtually every other urban setting in the world is their choice of "front business." While other organized crime syndicates have always migrated towards labor union intensive industries such as construction, industrial manufacturing, small scale trading, dock labor/ship building, local government's utilities services etc. that are generally manned by lower or lower middle class blue collar workers who serve as both the client and patron base, these thugs have found an excellent cover of religious activities to shield them from the wrath of society all the while making themselves integral to the operations of a certain social strata (the founding conundrum of every organized crime network since the history of human civilization).

Coming out of the madrassah mill (probably just as illiterate as they were going in), growing a beard, swearing allegiance to an influential cleric (who is part of a pyramid scheme himself), overt religiosity and engaging in inane and/or violent acts of moral policing will attain the status these foot soldiers desire. In addition to controlling violent street level crime in the area of influence, the second integral component to the workings of a respectable crime syndicate is the control of at least one influential vice trade. I have never been to Karachi, but I would venture a guess and say that the opium business is something these characters probably control in some shape or form. The third critical requirement of organized crime is the regimentation over a significant source of fluid capital. Again, I would venture a guess and say that the businessmen who often find themselves on the extortion list have access to cash flow from abroad (primarily the Gulf states) and probably indulge in "off the books" remittances themselves.

Funnily enough this is not the first time the religion scheme has been used to further organized crime at a mass level; the Roman Catholic and the Anglican churches in Western Europe during the middle ages and the 17th century come to mind.

The consequences in this case are to say the least extremely harrowing, and it should come of no surprise that these people are so hell bent upon reverting their dominion back to the middle ages. Of course the scary part these days is the funneling of cash to trans national terrorism which then brings about retribution at the same scale thereby affecting the entire nation. At the same time it is also evident what needs to be done in order to dismantle this system which is very much funding this expansive terrorism infrastructure that exists in Pakistan today (which sadly many people don't want to admit). I'll write a bit more about the possible solutions when I have time and if anyone is interested.

I must say though... the parallels are simply astounding, and I'm surprised no one has extensively written about this phenomenon yet.

If anyone wants to do some background reading about the Western references in my post, I'd recommend Niall Fergusion's works.

I have said this before and I'll say it again (this is purely a personal opinion based on what I see/read about this topic)... These people are nothing more than extortionists and thugs; albeit with long beards and links to mosques.

The only difference between these criminals and their mafioso counterparts in virtually every other urban setting in the world is their choice of "front business." While other organized crime syndicates have always migrated towards labor union intensive industries such as construction, industrial manufacturing, small scale trading, dock labor/ship building, local government's utilities services etc. that are generally manned by lower or lower middle class blue collar workers who serve as both the client and patron base, these thugs have found an excellent cover of religious activities to shield them from the wrath of society all the while making themselves integral to the operations of a certain social strata (the founding conundrum of every organized crime network since the history of human civilization).

Coming out of the madrassah mill (probably just as illiterate as they were going in), growing a beard, swearing allegiance to an influential cleric (who is part of a pyramid scheme himself), overt religiosity and engaging in inane and/or violent acts of moral policing will attain the status these foot soldiers desire. In addition to controlling violent street level crime in the area of influence, the second integral component to the workings of a respectable crime syndicate is the control of at least one influential vice trade. I have never been to Karachi, but I would venture a guess and say that the opium business is something these characters probably control in some shape or form. The third critical requirement of organized crime is the regimentation over a significant source of fluid capital. Again, I would venture a guess and say that the businessmen who often find themselves on the extortion list have access to cash flow from abroad (primarily the Gulf states) and probably indulge in "off the books" remittances themselves.

Funnily enough this is not the first time the religion scheme has been used to further organized crime at a mass level; the Roman Catholic and the Anglican churches in Western Europe during the middle ages and the 17th century come to mind.

The consequences in this case are to say the least extremely harrowing, and it should come of no surprise that these people are so hell bent upon reverting their dominion back to the middle ages. Of course the scary part these days is the funneling of cash to trans national terrorism which then brings about retribution at the same scale thereby affecting the entire nation. At the same time it is also evident what needs to be done in order to dismantle this system which is very much funding this expansive terrorism infrastructure that exists in Pakistan today (which sadly many people don't want to admit). I'll write a bit more about the possible solutions when I have time and if anyone is interested.

I must say though... the parallels are simply astounding, and I'm surprised no one has extensively written about this phenomenon yet.

If anyone wants to do some background reading about the Western references in my post, I'd recommend Niall Fergusion's works.

Very interesting Energon, I would be interested in it further.

I've read many articles on Karachi and talked to many people from there and I know that there's some problems going on there. I think best thing would be to get rid of Afghani refugees from Karachi. They seem to be causing ethnic tensions in the port city and we cant have that in the economic hub of Pakistan.

If Afghani refugees are to be in Pakistan, they should be in smaller towns/villages near the border with Afghanistan, they shouldn't be anywhere near the largest city of Pakistan that we Pakistanis rely on for our economy.

Another issue is that some MQM members dont like it that so many Pakhtuns are moving to Karachi, well too bad, as long as the person is a citizen of Pakistan they have every right to work and live in any city in Pakistan.

If anyone is causing problems there, regardless of their ethnic group, they should be punished. We Pakistanis must work together to get rid of the ill-wishers of Pakistan.

Last edited:
I've read many articles on Karachi and talked to many people from there and I know that there's some problems going on there. I think best thing would be to get rid of Afghani refugees from Karachi. They seem to be causing ethnic tensions in the port city and we cant have that in the economic hub of Pakistan.

If Afghani refugees are to be in Pakistan, they should be in smaller towns/villages near the border with Afghanistan, they shouldn't be anywhere near the largest city of Pakistan that we Pakistanis rely on for our economy.

Another issue is that some MQM members dont like it that so many Pakhtuns are moving to Karachi, well too bad, as long as the person is a citizen of Pakistan they have every right to work and live in any city in Pakistan.

If anyone is causing problems there, regardless of their ethnic group, they should be punished. We Pakistanis must work together to get rid of the ill-wishers of Pakistan.
Actually its not MQM
These incidents are on the peak in areas having "kachi aabadi's" and it is very easy for terrorists to hide there because vehicles etc cant go over there now ANP has vote bank in kachi aabadi's so when the government starts to think about taking some action against it peoples party sherpao and other pakhtoon nationatists parties start blaming ANP that ANP is unable to protect pakhtoons :hitwall: just to get some support in those areas of karachi
and to blame it on MQM
therefore our government is unable to do something against it

start deporting illegal afghans well the ones who've gained pak citzenship or born there can stay but rest have to leave they take over areas and just squat there and make ghettos in our major cities.We have 172+ million mouths too feed already don't need anymore stress they already pretty much turned peshawar into one big refugee camp .Even Iran is so strict with them and they do it for this very reason that they don't want a mini FATA in their own country thats why theres so little ethnic tension there and hardly any terror attacks despite sharing a large border and even being shia country who the taliban hate -afghans can only see tehran through a barb wire fence even israel,USA,saudi,UAE denies entry and deports so many people but pakistan is too relaxed allows everyone in (esp when they hate us)and is now suffering.Troublemaking foreigners needs to be booted out now muslim or not regardless of whether it's politcally correct it's time to look out for our own citizens first.

I think wat needs to be done is that people need to take thing sin there hand there now since this damn gov is not gona do a damn thing start beating the hell out these terriost when things get out of hand people of a country need to come together we can and shall overcome this and get rid of these bastards i hate them with passion .

The only solution for all this problem is to cleam up the afghanies rom sohrab goth which is famous for the wrong things (drugs, ammo, hookers etc).

I am an urdu speaking native karachite but also considers pashtoons as our brothers and as patriot as anybody else can be. But the afghanies needs to be thrown out of not only from karachi but from Pakistan.

We already had enough of their mehmaan nawaazi.

its very true... Talibans are getting Active day by day in Karachi... and they have captured Many exit + entrance areas of the City...

Government should take some serious notice about it... other wise it will be too late for Pakistan...

its very true... Talibans are getting Active day by day in Karachi... and they have captured Many exit + entrance areas of the City...

Government should take some serious notice about it... other wise it will be too late for Pakistan...

Can you please further ellaborate what do you mean by captured. Last time I visited hyderabad I never saw anything like what you are trying to propagate here.

Back
Top Bottom