What's new

Superstitions . . .

Please stop calling astrology "semi-science". That's giving it partial respectability. It deserves nothing but derision and contempt.

now you guys dont say softwares built on jyotish(which itself based on mathematical calculation) are not scientific.

When i say its a semi science then try those softwares, use them and then say what it is. period:smokin:

Okay. One of my very good Indian friends was "seeing" a girl at work. They weren't in love or something, just interested. But the girl's dad rejected the marriage proposal because he had "better horoscope matches". No, it wasn't that their horoscopes mismatched, he just had "better matches". I thought it is ridiculous, I asked him if it's common in India and he took me to some matrimonial websites and showed me HOW many parents expected horoscopes to match.

Look at the positive side. When your friends laments that "the whole universe is against him", he would probably have a point since even the stars are supposedly conspiring against the poor chap.:P

How could a star billions of light years away have an effect on whether you marital situation is blissful or a diaster?

Well, it's always easier to blame some one else(or something else) than to own up to the fact that you are solely responsible for your mistakes. That is the why people like to blame bad energy/vastu for the problems that they have. Many don't question as to why if that were the problem, did they have years of no problems functioning in that very same location.

BTW, there was this very interesting story of a supposedly reputed astrologer in Bangalore being kidnapped by a pani puri vendor who took him to North India on the pretext of requiring some rituals to be performed. The astrologer had to be rescued by the police. So much for the stars telling him about the future.

Fortune-teller fails to predict kidnap

Feb. 16: This astrologer failed to predict his own future. Conned into believing that he was being taken to Madhya Pradesh to perform a special puja, the astrologer was kidnapped and held for ransom till he was rescued by the city police on Monday.
A pani puri vendor who believed Lakkappa, of Kurubarahalli in Basaveshwaranagar, had earned a fortune reading palms hatched a plot to kidnap the astrologer.
Santosh and two of his associates kidnapped Lakappa, 41, on February 5 and took him to Madhya Pradesh from where a special police team police rescued the astrologer in the dense jungles of the state’s Bhind district Monday morning.
The astrologer will be brought to city on Wednesday. The cops have arrested Santosh and his accomplices Mehapal and Satish alias Satyanarayana and seized a revolver from them. Santosh and Satya are from Bengaluru and Mehapal is from MP.
According to the Basaveshwaranagar police, Santosh and Lakkappa knew each other well.
“Lakkappa, who ran his practice out of his house, had earned a good name in the locality as an astrologer,” a police officer said. “Santosh had a pani puri stall near Lakappa’s house. The daily stream of customers to Lakappa’s house led Santosh to believe that the astrologer was rich so he hatched a plot to kidnap him.”
Santosh and Satya visited Lakkappa and asked him to perform a special puja at a home in Madhya Pradesh. “Lakkappa travelled with them to MP. When they reached that state on February 8, Santosh and his accomplices held Lakkappa hostage and made a call to the astrologer’s wife demanding Rs 50 lakh for his release. Lakkappa’s wife immediately approached the police. A special team was formed which left for MP on February 11,” the officer said. “The abductors used Lakkappa’s cellphone to call his wife. We tracked them down by tracing calls made from the phone.”
The abductors fired three rounds in the air to threaten police but later surrendered when the police fired back
Fortune-teller fails to predict kidnap | Deccan Chronicle | 2010-02-17

First of all I want to say I don’t have any intention to offend any religion or belief. What I am going to say is purely my observations and no need to jump up on me. And I am sorry if this is irrelevant to the topic.

I think everybody has their own beliefs (except atheists) which they won’t agree is a superstition. On the other hand he will find other one’s beliefs as superstition. Any superstition is good (better come out of it) if it gives a person the willpower, hopes, happiness, support, peace of mind, the necessary feeling of forgiveness of his sins, removal of hazards, etc. All good religions and beliefs offer reward or heaven for the good deeds in this life and for most people this is an inspiration to live a good life. And I think majority will fail to lead a good life and good work if they don’t believe in god or after life.

All this beliefs including the existence of god(sensitive issue and no intention of offencce and purely my openion ) are not proven yet and so is superstition (I know majority will have a difference of opinion and I am not questioning them). The reason for all these beliefs is humans feel of insecurity, helplessness and fear of future.

I don’t oppose any belief (which is not against humanity and law of the land). Everybody has their own right to think and select what he believes and not believes. Nobody shall impose any thing upon him.
If a person believes in god, religious rituals, astrology, black magic, whatever (as long as it doesn’t hurt or exploit others) he must allowed to do so or not to do so. However healthy discussions and debates and knowledge of science are to be promoted which will help choose a moderate or better way of thinking and beliefs.

First of all, please don't use red fonts as I believe it is reserved for the moderators here.

Secondly on your post, when you equate religion with the other superstitions which are being discussed here, there is one fundamental flaw in the argument. I'll try to explain.

Religious people believes in God and prays mostly to ensure that their life after this life is better. Other-wise why doesn't it deter others from praying when they see another pure religious person suffering in this life. That's because deep inside they believe that, even if the person is suffering in this life, he/she will be in the so called heaven and have most fulfilling after-life. It's only non-believers like me who will rot in hell.

Whereas, the people who believes in astrology, horoscope and all that bullcrap, do it for making their present life better. That itself makes the thing cheaper, both spiritually and religiously. Though I agree with your point that for astrology and existence of god is equal non-science. But then, those who believes in God, are not claiming it to be scientific. It's only the weak peoples (and presumably low on self-confidence), who believes and practices atrology and horoscope cr@p to make their present life better, are trying hell bent to prove that it is a KINDA science.. lol..

That brings me to the question that had been lurking on my mind for quite some time:

To all who believes and practices the astrology, palmistry, forehead reading toe reading etc etc:

1. Do you guys seriously believe that those people in this whole world who does none of the above so called scientific (or semi0scientific to some) stuff, are less fortunate, less successfull or less happy in their life?

2. Why do thousand of marriages, people end up unsatisfied, in spite of matching the damn horoscope so well?

3. Why do most of the so called astrologers themself aren't as successfull, happy or fortunate like the claim they can make others? Refer to Bang Galores post here.

etc etc.

Superstitions are good in some (rather many) as they give u the all important faith and the confidence that u can do something sucessfully .rather than actually impacting the outcomes themselves.:rolleyes:

So sad to see all you primitive, superstitious people trapped in ancient rituals.

Most enlightened people are beyond these things (knock on wood).
Now where did I leave my rabbit's foot keychain????

"The fault, Dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in our selves..." Julius Caesar

So sad to see all you primitive, superstitious people trapped in ancient rituals.

Most enlightened people are beyond these things (knock on wood).
Now where did I leave my rabbit's foot keychain????

"The fault, Dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in our selves..." Julius Caesar

Not all superstitions are bad...some give u the all important faith

Astrology is Superstitions ? Yes I guess so but so are all the religions including Islam, Hinduism, Christianity and others, so when we believe in all the fairy tales there what the harm when somebody believes in Astrology

First of all, please don't use red fonts as I believe it is reserved for the moderators here..

Thanx for your reply.I Did not know that i will do it again if thats true? Is it mentioned in the forum rules ?

Secondly on your post, when you equate religion with the other superstitions which are being discussed here, there is one fundamental flaw in the argument. I'll try to explain.

Religious people believes in God and prays mostly to ensure that their life after this life is better. Other-wise why doesn't it deter others from praying when they see another pure religious person suffering in this life. That's because deep inside they believe that, even if the person is suffering in this life, he/she will be in the so called heaven and have most fulfilling after-life. It's only non-believers like me who will rot in hell..

There is a strange reason for that. When a non believer suffers in life people see this as a punishment from god for not believing in him where as when a believer suffers they see it as a test from god to check his faith and without any reason believes he will be rewarded in heaven.

Whereas, the people who believes in astrology, horoscope and all that bullcrap, do it for making their present life better. That itself makes the thing cheaper, both spiritually and religiously. Though I agree with your point that for astrology and existence of god is equal non-science. But then, those who believes in God, are not claiming it to be scientific. It's only the weak peoples (and presumably low on self-confidence), who believes and practices atrology and horoscope cr@p to make their present life better, are trying hell bent to prove that it is a KINDA science.. lol...

Yes to some extend I agree with you.

God believers do it for present life and after life and they dont claim it scientific where as other superstitions are done for present life only and most of them say it is a science.But Both are practiced to boost human’s satisfaction, self-confidence, hope, etc

That brings me to the question that had been lurking on my mind for quite some time:

To all who believes and practices the astrology, palmistry, forehead reading toe reading etc etc:

1. Do you guys seriously believe that those people in this whole world who does none of the above so called scientific (or semi0scientific to some) stuff, are less fortunate, less successfull or less happy in their life?.

You may replace the word ' so called scientific stuff' with 'god believers' and ask the same question.

2. Why do thousand of marriages, people end up unsatisfied, in spite of matching the damn horoscope so well?.

same happens with an athiest and a believer who married with the blessing of god.

3. Why do most of the so called astrologers themself aren't as successfull, happy or fortunate like the claim they can make others? Refer to Bang Galores post here.

etc etc.

same can be asked about priests,saints etc...:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom