What's new

Superstitions . . .

Pakistani_Athiest

Reaction score
Okay. One of my very good Indian friends was "seeing" a girl at work. They weren't in love or something, just interested. But the girl's dad rejected the marriage proposal because he had "better horoscope matches". No, it wasn't that their horoscopes mismatched, he just had "better matches". I thought it is ridiculous, I asked him if it's common in India and he took me to some matrimonial websites and showed me HOW many parents expected horoscopes to match.

Why is this? Why won't shining India rise above such petty superstitions!?

Okay. One of my very good Indian friends was "seeing" a girl at work. They weren't in love or something, just interested. But the girl's dad rejected the marriage proposal because he had "better horoscope matches". No, it wasn't that their horoscopes mismatched, he just had "better matches". I thought it is ridiculous, I asked him if it's common in India and he took me to some matrimonial websites and showed me HOW many parents expected horoscopes to match.

people from all walks of life here,seek astrologers advice whenever they had to make decisions--it has become a norm and nobody wants to take risks--I've seen even educated families doing such things--and not only among Hindus,there are muslim astrolers called "mollakka's" & christain ones too..I had an experience of visiting one muslim "Mollakka"--he chanted some arabic/ urdu slokas then blew air on my head--i felt very calm--then he gave me a very thin metal foil which he wrote something in Arabic--& he asked me to carry it whenever I attend interviews--i was directed by a hindu astrologer to see this muslim mollakka--because the hindu astrolger says I have dosha ( curse) from "gin"(ghost)

people from all walks of life here,seek astrologers advice whenever they had to make decisions--it has become a norm and nobody wants to take risks--I've seen even educated families doing such things--and not only among Hindus,there are muslim astrolers called "mollakka's" & christain ones too..I had an experience of visiting one muslim "Mollakka"--he chanted some arabic/ urdu slokas then blew air on my head--i felt very calm--then he gave me a very thin metal foil which he wrote something in Arabic--& he asked me to carry it whenever I attend interviews--i was directed by a hindu astrologer to see this muslim mollakka--because the hindu astrolger says I have dosha ( curse) from "gin"(ghost)

Brilliant! :rofl::lol:

No offense.

Brilliant! :rofl::lol:

No offense.

U know..when u come across a series of bad luck and u face a stumbling block--and whatever you do--- won't work & u loose all ur confidence--money self esteem-everything-and when u live in a society that advices u to visit such people--then----
when the ISRO scientists break coconuts--why can't less morals like me ?

(btw thx a lot sir for letting me in)

WTF

Being regected for a retard mismatched horoscope :rofl: .. i gues the girl's dad didnt wanted to mary her girl to that guy in the first place ..!!
Whatever the case , i t always feels real painfull when regected , seen people turning out Devdeas or Diljalay or something .. !

then how come these astrologers tell u all ur past 100% correctly ?
astrology is a science..based on the position of heavenly bodies & their influence

It is very common to see Horoscope in India. And it is considered very important.
My personal experience was very surprising. So being an engineer, I cant deny it by saying that its old so just discard it.
There is astrology and mathematics involved int it, so just saying it superstitious without knowing it looks arrogant to me.

@sivan_and
Can you suggest me some indian astrologor who can make atleast >50% predictions correct?I want to make some money in stock market

Thr r people who consult such people whenever they make big investments--visit any astrologer and see how popular they're--people r not fools to visit such men unless they get any benefit !!
Go to Guruvayoor East nada..thrz an astrologer--old man--see the crowds waiting thr for guidance--this person donates most of his earnings for charity!!

It is not the human destiny to be afflicted with superstitions: It is just an evil consequence of unbelief.
Superstition occurs in islam also.
For example:

The Arabs were as superstitious as anyone before Islam. They would not undertake a journey or do anything important without first "determining" that it would be safe to do so -- by looking at birds and beasts. If a bird flew from right to left in front of them, that was a bad omen: flight in the other direction was a good omen. During travel, if a deer crossed going from right to left, the trip was cancelled. When they reached a destination, they would seek protection of jinn by supplicating to them. .

Much later, weakening of faith in segments of Muslim societies did lead to seeping in superstitious practices from other societies. Weakening of our understanding of --- and belief in --- the articles of faith inevitably leads to superstitions of one form or another. That, unfortunately, is the situation of large segments of our ummah today.

The illiterate masses may go to a soothsayer who tells the future with the help of a bird. The western educated elite of their country laugh at their ignorant ways, yet depend on horoscopes, sayings of Nostradamus, and predictions of Jane Dixon, etc. Both are equally ignorant and equally involved in unbelief!

There is no doubt that a believer faces the same uncertainties in life as the non-believer but he faces them with the help of Allah.

When announcing a plan, he does not knock on wood; he says Insha-Allah (if Allah wills), putting his trust in his Creator. When embarking on a journey, he makes supplication to Allah for his safety. When he is unsure about a plan, he seeks Allah's help in making up his mind. Here is the translation of the beautiful dua of Istikharah that we have been taught for the occasion:

"O Allah! I seek Your guidance (in making a choice) by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things.

"O Allah! If in Your knowledge, this matter is good for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs; immediate and in the distant future, then ordain it for me, make it easy for me and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge, this matter is bad for my religion, my livelihood, and my affairs; immediate and in the distant future, then turn it away from me, and turn me away from it. And ordain for me the good wherever it be and make me pleased with it."

Each word of this dua invites reflection. It shows how uncertainties in our life bring us closer to Allah. In Allah we put all our hopes, not in the cryptic words of an ignorant astrologer or soothsayer.

So, its not right to make fun of other society's superstitions.
It may be laughable to one but holy or divine to other.
We should be sensitive enough to not to make fun of other's belief.

WTF

Being regected for a retard mismatched horoscope :rofl: .. i gues the girl's dad didnt wanted to mary her girl to that guy in the first place ..!!
Whatever the case , i t always feels real painfull when regected , seen people turning out Devdeas or Diljalay or something .. !

No that's not true. The girl's dad did like the boy a lot. He was too scared to against the stars . . .

Follow the link. It shows how superstitions also occur in islam also.

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/skm60403.htm

Faith Freedom isn't a fair website bro.

Oh I know of the Islamic superstitions, but for the most part - most muslims trust Allah more than any signs. Which is prolly a good thing, because they won't have other fears as long as they are devoted. But then again, it can be argued that belief in God itself is a superstition.

WTF this happened to me too! WTFFFFFFFF???

i didnt know what the guy was doing but i just played along.

then how come these astrologers tell u all ur past 100% correctly ?
astrology is a science..based on the position of heavenly bodies & their influence

Astrology is not even close to science.

Besides you guys don't even know your real zodic signs they are not the same as the used to be 100 years ago -_-'.

**** Astrology and love astronomy <3

Back
Top Bottom