What's new

Superstitions . . .

Faith Freedom isn't a fair website bro.

Oh I know of the Islamic superstitions, but for the most part - most muslims trust Allah more than any signs. Which is prolly a good thing, because they won't have other fears as long as they are devoted. But then again, it can be argued that belief in God itself is a superstition.

I think believing in God is not superstition as scientist like Einstain believed that there is some power which made this universe.

Yes the theory of God made by simple man and people believing it without raising a question is superstition.

Okay. One of my very good Indian friends was "seeing" a girl at work. They weren't in love or something, just interested. But the girl's dad rejected the marriage proposal because he had "better horoscope matches". No, it wasn't that their horoscopes mismatched, he just had "better matches". I thought it is ridiculous, I asked him if it's common in India and he took me to some matrimonial websites and showed me HOW many parents expected horoscopes to match.

Why is this? Why won't shining India rise above such petty superstitions!?

Because it is Tradition and Culture!!!!!

Either you accept it or criticize it!!! By the way, same can be said about the shining Pakistan also...

Jyotish shastra(vedic astrology) or horoscope is very old in india, its a semi science(I'll say)

You just imagine 2500 years back they calculated how the planetary system works and impacts the nature(e.g. the periodic rise and fall of the sea level under the gravitational pull of the moon), but one need to be expert on that and a good astrologer is a good mathematician too.

But in Hinduism, the sole focus is on one's karma, one can defy his Jyotish(fate) by his karma.

but in today's india, its a money making tool or you can say its a superstition under some greedy astrologer.

Check more about vedic astrology
Vedic Astrology - Jyotish Shastra

Jyotish shastra(vedic astrology) or horoscope is very old in india, its a semi science(I'll say)

You just imagine 2500 years back they calculated how the planetary system works and impacts the nature(e.g. the periodic rise and fall of the sea level under the gravitational pull of the moon), but one need to be expert on that and a good astrologer is a good mathematician too.

But in Hinduism, the sole focus is on one's karma, one can defy his Jyotish(fate) by his karma.

but in today's india, its a money making tool or you can say its a superstition under some greedy astrologer.

Check more about vedic astrology
Vedic Astrology - Jyotish Shastra

Simply because you can tell the position of stars accurately does not mean they influence human behavior or that you can predict human behavior.

Do you really think "gravity" is going to accurately determine the fate of 6 billion people?

The next time you decide to engage in some quality "self-gratification", please do curse Venus for your miserable situation!

Simply because you can tell the position of stars accurately does not mean they influence human behavior or that you can predict human behavior.

Do you really think "gravity" is going to accurately determine the fate of 6 billion people?

The next time you decide to engage in some quality "self-gratification", please do curse Venus for your miserable situation!

I do want to believe you. And I also dont believe Astrologers/Jyotish doing it as bussiness.

But give some time to it.

I do want to believe you. And I also dont believe Astrologers/Jyotish doing it as bussiness.

But give some time to it.

Do you mean that you would believe them if they did their **** for free?

How could a star billions of light years away have an effect on whether you marital situation is blissful or a diaster?

There must have been tens of thousands of people born at the exact time Hitler was born. Did they all become dictators and killed millions of people?

To say that so and so will become this or that simply because of the time or place of birth, is so full of ****. It really is disgusting that even "educated" people are so gullible.

What about Karma theory? Something I had an intense fascination about, in my adolescent years. How is this horoscope BS compatible with the theory of Karma?

I think believing in God is not superstition as scientist like Einstain believed that there is some power which made this universe.

Yes the theory of God made by simple man and people believing it without raising a question is superstition.

1) Einstein also believed that the theory of Quantum Mechanics was wrong. Guess what?

2) To my knowledge .. there is no reason or basis for God. In fact, there isn't even a universal agreement in terms of definition of God. So even if God DOES exist, which "version" of God is the real version? Active personal? Active impersonal? Passive Impersonal? Monistic? Cosmic? Pantheistic?

Also, the God theory is full of contradictions. For instance, a God who judges is simply not compatible with a God who interferes.

For instance, if I said something like "My wife will get better, God willing" I am acknowledging that - God can influence my life. When God is a force that ACTIVELY influences your life, he cannot be a judge. To anyone who thinks outside the dogma, this is common-sense.

I personally don't have any superstitions.

However if people want to have their own superstitions, then that is their choice.

Regarding Karma, I think it is more of a "metaphor", rather than anything literal. That is how I view it anyway.

I.e. Actions have consequences, every action has a reaction, etc.

I personally don't have any superstitions.

However if people want to have their own superstitions, then that is their choice.

Regarding Karma, I think it is more of a "metaphor", rather than anything literal.

I.e. Actions have consequences.

Well Karmic theory is more than metaphorical. Well, I kinda regard it as a metaphorical truth . . but I am sure it means a LOT more than to Hindus. And I just don't understand how a believer of the karma theory finds astrology acceptable.

Do you mean that you would believe them if they did their **** for free?

How could a star billions of light years away have an effect on whether you marital situation is blissful or a diaster?

There must have been tens of thousands of people born at the exact time Hitler was born. Did they all become dictators and killed millions of people?

To say that so and so will become this or that simply because of the time or place of birth, is so full of ****. It really is disgusting that even "educated" people are so gullible.

Look leo as i have said its a semi science(jyotish=science + philosophy), no one completely trust it, i dont trust these things but my mother believe in it, its same like your/my mother put a tabeez/gems to thwart evil eyes.

People do it, I am okay with its science part, till it calculate and say this is the planetary position and how it impacts you(its all most a business), but rest of philosophy is beyond my apprehension so i dont trust it,but i like the mathematical part of it.

My generations got married without looking at these reports(including me), so it depends, but majority of indians(all religions) believe in jyotish in this or other form.

So might be some one who firmly believe in jyotish might answer the latter part(philosophy and how it impact).

Well Astrology, Palmistry, Red books etc all are like a religion (okay sort of) in it self as if someone is having faith he started believing on the same but there are atheist for the same.

My personal opinion (Being a part time Palmist) about all these are that there are effect happens of movement of "Graha" and "Nakshatra" affect you in some way or round for e.g. Tides in sea/ocean always depeds on Moon's shape. But if someone tells exactly what is written tommorrow then I am sorry this is not descriptive book but a sort of Nostradamus' verses. While matching horoscope, I found it amusing and BS though I have also gone through the same lol..

Well Karmic theory is more than metaphorical. Well, I kinda regard it as a metaphorical truth . . but I am sure it means a LOT more than to Hindus. And I just don't understand how a believer of the karma theory finds astrology acceptable.

You're right. I'm sure it means more to Hindus than just as a metaphor.

What I meant is that to me personally, I see Karma as a useful device to remind myself that I should always be mindful of the consequences of my actions.

I'm not exactly sure how Hindus see it in a religious context. I might do some reading on it.

Back
Top Bottom