What's new

Sports in South Asia

Actually popularity of cricket has stiffled all other games. But we cant blame cricket for that.

Football was very popular in Bangladesh, but today it is i back-seat. Sri Lanka was good during Roshan Perreir-Amanullah but today it is probably just ahead of Bhutan.

However, some regions in South Asia have fonndness for some games. Kerala in India ad Sri Lanka have the tradition of giving good atheletes (Atleast in Asia level- P T Usha , Damayanti etc)

India has shown some improvement recetly in some selected games-

Boxing- though our male boxers failed in London but still India is doing well here. Three of them needed just one win to get a Broze. In last Asiad we won three gold in boxing. We are doig well in boxing as well.

Archary and Shooting are other two games. Our Archery teams failed in London weather but they are good in World Ranking. 18years Deepika Kumari was Number 1 in World rankig before olympic.

Badmiton- there is one male and two females in top 10 in world ranking. Saina in number 3, and Sindhu is regularly beating top Chinese players includinng the Olympic gold medalist.

Some good performace was in Tennis during younger days of Paes- Bhupati but cant see anyone after them.

Most disappoiting place is Atheletics. Our best hopes like Vikash Gowda or Krishna Poonia can manage only up to 7th-8th spot in world level. In tracks there is oone worth mentioning. The female relay team (4*400m) had some expectation but that was spoilted by our sports authority who good not even provide suppliments on time; which resulted in purchase from market and dope scadal.

Actually popularity of cricket has stiffled all other games. But we cant blame cricket for that.

Football was very popular in Bangladesh, but today it is i back-seat. Sri Lanka was good during Roshan Perreir-Amanullah but today it is probably just ahead of Bhutan.

However, some regions in South Asia have fonndness for some games. Kerala in India ad Sri Lanka have the tradition of giving good atheletes (Atleast in Asia level- P T Usha , Damayanti etc)

It's quite surprising that foot ball was ever decent in Lanka.. It takes a far back seat compared to Rugby on the island.. Cricket, Rugby and Athletics have always been the forte, Along with a Snooker title here and there but then again in my opinion you cant really judge a nations Athletic ability with sports like, Snooker, Archery or shooting.. Actually Damayanthi Darsha, Sriyani Kulawansa could never go beyond the Asian titles or records but Susanthika Jayasinghe along with Duncan White (Both Lankan)remains the only South Asians with Olympic and world championship medals on the track to this day

As far as good news for the island after a hiatus over 30 years due to instability, Sports is been promoted once again at a grand scale, High performance centers and sports cities are being build all over the island especially in the north to tap raw talent of the former war zones.. And sports have been included as a compulsory curricular to the public school system.. Every child must partake in a sports activity of his or her choice

We should see the fruits of these programmes a decade down the line

It's quite surprising that foot ball was ever decent in Lanka.. It takes a far back seat compared to Rugby on the island.. Cricket, Rugby and Athletics have always been the forte, Along with a Snooker title here and there but then again in my opinion you cant really judge a nations Athletic ability with sports like, Snooker, Archery or shooting.. Actually Damayanthi Darsha, Sriyani Kulawansa could never go beyond the Asian titles or records but Susanthika Jayasinghe along with Duncan White (Both Lankan)remains the only South Asians with Olympic and world championship medals on the track to this day

As far as good news for the island after a hiatus over 30 years due to instability, Sports is been promoted once again at a grand scale, High performance centers and sports cities are being build all over the island especially in the north to tap raw talent of the former war zones.. And sports have been included as a compulsory curricular to the public school system.. Every child must partake in a sports activity of his or her choice

We should see the fruits of these programmes a decade down the line

Hi Gibbs, this is not abt this topic,

Can u remember there was a thread abt Lee Kuan Yew and Mahinda Rajapakse. I replied in that thread and I cant find it anywhere. May be the TS (Indian Tiger) has deleted it. Do your postings in that thread show in your profile?

Can you pls check and tell.

I think India can do reasonably well in sports if it invests more in sporting institutions as well as focusing in other types other than cricket. I've noticed boxing and wrestling is pretty big in Delhi, Haryana and Maharashtra. Soccer in the North Eastern states including Bengal, including archery and other "range" sports. It's sad the most of the Indian Olympic contingent were from mainly Haryana and Manipur. Imagine what hidden talents there are across the country.

Hi Gibbs, this is not abt this topic,

Can u remember there was a thread abt Lee Kuan Yew and Mahinda Rajapakse. I replied in that thread and I cant find it anywhere. May be the TS (Indian Tiger) has deleted it. Do your postings in that thread show in your profile?

Can you pls check and tell.

Hey mate.. I think one of them Madrasi's got a moderator to remove it.. Seems that they have had a virtually free hand to espouse anti Lankan rhetoric, false propaganda and hate on these pages till recently without any or little rebuttal

I don't think they can face the music with facts and since gone in to hiding on most thread attributed to their pathological lies and manipulations.. I have noticed

Hey mate.. I think one of them Madrasi's got a moderator to remove it.. Seems that they have had a virtually free hand to espouse anti Lankan rhetoric, false propaganda and hate on these pages till recently without any or little rebuttal

I don't think they can face the music with facts and since gone in to hiding on most thread attributed to their pathological lies and manipulations.. I have noticed

machan mama eke thibbe ewa copy karan hitiye, arinawa e namin aith thread ekak okawa chater karala :D

thread starter ne machan. uta puluwan delete karanna

Srilankan people have natural athleticism,like a lot of Tamils & Malayaless,probably due to fresh fish and great vegetables.

India can do well if the government stops eating so much money and gives people some kind of social security in any form.

Indian people need to relax and enjoy life,not live under pressure of survival & competition all the time.

:omghaha: oh shut up, what makes Pakistanis so well built? You live in Canada, you should know the amount of Indians playing sports compared to Pakistanis in Canada. Well built my ***:rofl:.

Our kabaddi team thrashes them always,

well built is not enough,one needs athleticism and brains too.

well built is not enough,one needs athleticism and brains too.

More over attitude and a culture to competition.. Indian Hockey use to dominate the world because of their abundant skill at the game but with the introduction of synthetic grass or astro turf made the game much faster and more physical in terms of stamina, Indian game slid down.. The culture of physical well being and exercise is not every important in the South Asian culture which needs to be adressed

well,i know a few sportspeople,not international but national and the kind of food and training they get is abysmal.

Very very poor and even the sports administration is very poor,only people doing well are individual sports and cricketers,who get everything that they want.

Millions of kids want to be amongst maximum 30 people.

well,i know a few sportspeople,not international but national and the kind of food and training they get is abysmal.

Very very poor and even the sports administration is very poor,only people doing well are individual sports and cricketers,who get everything that they want.

Millions of kids want to be amongst maximum 30 people.

And things like this needs to change.. It just embarrasses the whole nation.. India is under a lot of bad press recently with drug cheats ,CWG corruption and even controversy over gender of some sportspeople.. I think innocent sportsmen/women get the blame for the incompetence of the authorities..

18 Indians at Youth Games found overage - The Times of India

It is better for us Sri Lankans to stay together. That is the only alternative to the false propagandists.

It is better for us Sri Lankans to stay together. That is the only alternative to the false propagandists.

eka thamai mechchara kal kiwwe, jathin athara bedila prashna athi karaganna kota untai wasi. eka me forum ekedi nemei hama thanadi ma, rata athuledith ehemai

eka thamai mechchara kal kiwwe, jathin athara bedila prashna athi karaganna kota untai wasi. eka me forum ekedi nemei hama thanadi ma, rata athuledith ehemai

ehema unath ithiase wenas karanna baa katawath.....

Back
Top Bottom