What's new

Special Services Wing

Mercenary

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan's Air Force created a SSW. They are a commando unit for the Pakistan Air Force like the SSG is for Army and SSGN is for Navy.

It came about after 2001 when PAF was impressed with how quickly USAF special forces could secure areas and set up runaways in Afghanistan.

Does anyone have more information on this unit?

yes as far as i know it is based in kallar khar and they have latest weapons and for the guys who perform on 23rd march they send them to america for para jumping course and in para jumping they r better then army

yes as far as i know it is based in kallar khar and they have latest weapons and for the guys who perform on 23rd march they send them to america for para jumping course and in para jumping they r better then army

No they are not better than the Army. They have their own facilities and their own training regimen. Army has way more people with way more experience in HAHO/HALO type stuff than SSW of the PAF. SSW is in its infancy. There training is also different from the SSG/A. SSW is a very good capability for the PAF to have.

No they are not better than the Army. They have their own facilities and their own training regimen. Army has way more people with way more experience in HAHO/HALO type stuff than SSW of the PAF. SSW is in its infancy. There training is also different from the SSG/A. SSW is a very good capability for the PAF to have.

Wow blain have we touched a nerve here, what a passionate response :azn:

i am not saying they r better then army in every field i am just talking about para jumping and there training in not different from army becz they r trained at cherat its same training and in case of war they hve tougher job to go inside india and try to destroy iaf planes in their bases

No my friend not at all. I am all for SSW. The more specialized units we have, the better it is for Pakistan. I was just talking about the overall experience of the two. SSG/A has done over 20,000 HAHO/HALO jumps by now. It will take a while for the PAF to get there.

i am not saying they r better then army in every field i am just talking about para jumping and there training in not different from army becz they r trained at cherat its same training and in case of war they hve tougher job to go inside india and try to destroy iaf planes in their bases

Safeercool,

The primary job of the SSW (as far as I know, someone knowing more about them please correct me) is to act as Pakistan's primere Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) team. So they will be tasked with rescueing downed PAF pilots (even in hostile territory as and when the situation permits). They maybe tasked with other roles of sabotage as well but I think CSAR is the primary responsibility for SSW.

Last edited:
Special Service Wing (SSW) is an independent commando division of the Pakistan Air Force. It is an elite special operations force based upon the US Air Force's Special Tactics unit and the US Army's Ranger unit. This the newest component to the Special Forces of Pakistan. The division is still being trained and built up which will initially field between 700 to 1,000 men in 1 Company and is expected to be combat ready soon.

Overview

The unit was first created in 2001 when the Military of Pakistan was impressed in the way that US Special Forces during the initial phase of the war in Afghanistan were able to secure targets, set up runways and airstrips for immediate use and direct strategic and tactical air strikes on enemy positions so quickly. The close cooperation between the US and Pakistani militaries in the days immediately following 9/11 allowed many SSW soldiers to go to the United States to be trained. The unit is currently head quartered in Kallar Khar and all members of SSW have to be HALO/HAHO qualified.

Capabilities

When combat ready, all SSW members will be ground operators certified to act as air traffic controllers in hostile and dangerous environments. They can take over or construct an airstrip, set up navigational equipment, and direct airplanes and helicopters to a safe landing without the use of a tower or elaborate communications system. They also control air attacks of fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft from all military services.

They will also have the capability to perform search and rescue, typically of (but not limited to) downed pilots. They will be trained and able both to fight with virtually any special operations unit and are paramedics on the battlefield.

Some members of SSW will have the ability to gather and interpret meteorological and oceanographic information, as well as act as forward ground combatants. Their primary mission would be to collect and disseminate forward observations in denied, hostile or otherwise data-sparse regions. They will be a critical element in mission planning and work mostly with Army and Navy Special Operations

cool! The navy has SSG. The airforce has SSW. What does the army have?

:lol: I was just stating this based on the fact that at last count (which was in the early 2000 or so), SSG had done more than 100,000 jumps (static, freefall, HAHO/HALO etc). SSW are nowhere close to this. So there is a lot more experience with the SSG on the aspects of para jumping etc.

The reality is that this is not a comparison. SSW is an excellent capability and also the need of the hour for the PAF. They have their role well defined and they are executing against it with quality manpower and training. SSG/A actually has had a hand in helping out Special Operations forces for both the PN and PAF. They have also lent a lot of help to civil law enforcement in training etc.

The SSG is the only experienced Spec Ops Force in Pakistan. They have seen action in every major coflict that Pakistan has been involved in from 1965 onwards, as well as peacetime overt and covert operations for Pakistan and its allies. Therefore, it is childish to "compare" them with the SSW and SSGN which are still relatively young.

SSG's experience and training expertise will be used to "teach" the SSW and SSGN and establish them as true Elite forces (like the SSG). They will also learn from international Spec Ops groups of similar types, such as the American SEALs and the 1st Special Operations Wing, the British Special Boat Service, Turkish Special Forces and the Joint Task Force under the United Nations (to which we regularly contribute).

Just like there are multi-role combat aircraft, the SSG,SSGN and SSW are Pakistan's multirole combat warriors. They are not only well trained conventional soldiers, but are individually able of accomplishing many unconventional tasks both overtly and covertly. Therefore, I really appreciate the Pakistani Armed Forces taking steps to build and solidify its Spec Ops capabilities. InshAllah, they will serve us well in the future.

Hey guys, i,ve got another Idea, why shouldn't there be SSGSCF, confused?
SSGSCF(Special Services Group Strategic Command Forces) whose prime task should be to takeover enemy nukes,chemical,biological,EMP warheads and sabotage of Silos of the enemy, their task should be to nutralize enemy strategic assets and protection of our own strategic assets, they should be more scientific based as compare to SSG,SSW,NSSG, so what do u say?

Back
Top Bottom