What's new

SK Hynix Isn't Sure How Its Chips Got in Huawei's New Phone

The U.S. needs South Korea badly right now.

I am sure the US govt no longer has the guts to sanction SK Hynix.

The US now is not the US of 1987.
You do know what did SK Hynix said?

They depend on US tech and that's why they are investigating it.
As far as anyone can tell, these are authentic SK Hynix parts, but the company professes its innocence, saying that it adheres to the US sanctions. Because SK Hynix relies on US technology to manufacture chips, it has no choice but to comply. Some have speculated that Huawei stockpiled SK Hynix components when it still had limited access to US markets in 2020 (that's when the U310 was released). But if that's the case, Huawei would be severely limited in the number of Mate 60 Pro phones it could produce.

This is going to be investigated by SK Hynix and WILL BE PLUGGED, one way or another, hope you buy enough time to make your own LPDDR5 chips.

Are you serious? There is not going to be any more advancement in memory chip technology for the next 10 thousand years, while processors keep improving ? How many 512GB NAND flash memory chips existed 20 years ago ?

This is because no Chinese company can manufacture memory chips of the same specs without busting sanctions. The only other producers are likely Samsung and Micron.

Ziguang, ADATA, Jintek, GLOWAY, ASGARD, SINKER, Witec, Apacer, G.Skill, and so on.

This is because no Chinese company can manufacture memory chips of the same specs without busting sanctions. The only other producers are likely Samsung and Micron.
Most likely these chips are in Huawei hand because they buy them by-proxies.

Notice that you need LPDDR5 tech to fully utilise 5G function fully otherwise it would not be fast enough, No LPDDR5 chips = no 5G

Ziguang, ADATA, Jintek, GLOWAY, ASGARD, SINKER, Witec, Apacer, G.Skill, and so on.
Links or it didn't happen. And if it is true, why is Huawei not using one of their chips ?

You do know what did SK Hynix said?

They depend on US tech and that's why they are investigating it.

This is going to be investigated by SK Hynix and WILL BE PLUGGED, one way or another, hope you buy enough time to make your own LPDDR5 chips.

Sanctions against SK Hynix will only lead to the complete end of the current pro-US South Korean government (the current government already has an approval rating of only 24 per cent), and it could lead to a pro-Chinese former government coming to power.

Not sanctioning SK Hynix will lead to the US sanctions becoming a joke.

Sanctions against SK Hynix will only lead to the complete end of the current pro-US South Korean government (the current government already has an approval rating of only 24 per cent), and it could lead to a pro-Chinese former government coming to power.

Yes, sanctioning SK Hynix would mean the entire South Korean government toppled and become Pro-China. Right................

Again, all those are what SK Hynix said, you want to believe they are going to ignore the US, please do go ahead, as I said, I hope you had enough LPDDR5 chips from however you got them, or back to 4G you go.

Links or it didn't happen. And if it is true, why is Huawei not using one of their chips ?
Asking Chinese member here to show proof is harder to bring my cat to the vet........

Yes, sanctioning SK Hynix would mean the entire South Korean government toppled and become Pro-China. Right................

Again, all those are what SK Hynix said, you want to believe they are going to ignore the US, please do go ahead, as I said, I hope you had enough LPDDR5 chips from however you got them, or back to 4G you go.

Asking Chinese member here to show proof is harder to bring my cat to the vet........
I am sure Hynix didn't bust the sanctions, and Huawei either used old stockpiles or bought them through proxy, as you said.

It is not going to be easy for them to get more of them though, so this phone is going to end up becoming a collector's item.

That doesn't happen, economic issues aside, South Korea desperately needs US support in the military and defense sector.

All countries surrounding Korea are not friendly to Korea

A pro-China government would be a terrible disaster for South Korea because it would disrupt relations with the US. Nor can it prevent China and Russia from continuing to support North Korea.

It's been a few years since Huawei released a phone worthy of notice stateside, but the new Mate 60 Pro has raised eyebrows on both sides of the Pacific. It's not a particularly innovative phone, but it contains chips that shouldn't exist. In addition to the mysterious Kirin 9000s processor, teardowns have revealed what appear to be SK Hynix memory and NAND flash. This would be a significant violation of US trade sanctions, but the South Korean firm says it's looking into how Huawei got the chips.

Huawei was vague about many aspects of the Mate 60 Pro's hardware, but Chinese consumers have been poking around inside the phone since it launched. Multiple teardowns show at least two chips from SK Hynix inside, a 176-layer 4D NAND chip (UD310) and 512Gb LPDDR5 modules bearing model number HN8T25DEHKX077. It has at least moved on from releasing the same phone multiple times.

As far as anyone can tell, these are authentic SK Hynix parts, but the company professes its innocence, saying that it adheres to the US sanctions. Because SK Hynix relies on US technology to manufacture chips, it has no choice but to comply. Some have speculated that Huawei stockpiled SK Hynix components when it still had limited access to US markets in 2020 (that's when the U310 was released). But if that's the case, Huawei would be severely limited in the number of Mate 60 Pro phones it could produce.
If you start a potato chip business, wouldn't you know who is the ultimate user? :lol:

In the cooperate world, we know, way before we make it, who is the customer. I was working on a project, and my team leader lied about the end user to the team. I just searched the terms we were using in the project, and I came to know that only one company is working on these specs, and in the end, it turned out to be true. So even if the user lies about the end user, he simply can't hide it.

If you start a potato chip business, wouldn't you know who is the ultimate user? :lol:
Umnn, probably not, unless I was selling chips to only a handful of people, in which case the business would be a failure.
In the cooperate world, we know, way before we make it, who is the customer. I was working on a project, and my team leader lied about the end user to the team. I just searched the terms we were using in the project, and I came to know that only one company is working on these specs, and in the end, it turned out to be true. So even if the user lies about the end user, he simply can't hide it.
These chips do have multiple users , though not as many as potato chips. So, you can mislead the supplier once but not for very long.

I am sure Hynix didn't bust the sanctions, and Huawei either used old stockpiles or bought them through proxy, as you said.

It is not going to be easy for them to get more of them though, so this phone is going to end up becoming a collector's item.
Yes, that's the most probable explanation. And I am leaning on the latter than the former because as many commentators pointed out, if they get them before US sanction start in 2020, they are going to only have a small amount of chips for this. So, the question would be, would you anchor your flagship phone with these left-over chips set?

the problem is the commonality of these chip, every, I mean, EVERY phone runs on these chip, which mean you could have bought a lot in small batches from different outlet and nobody would be wiser before your game is up. It's like drug dealer buying pre-cursor chemical and make drug, if you buy one big batch, people are all going to look at how you use it or where it ends up, but if you put it in small interval, buying maybe 1000 more (just an arbitrary number denoting small amount) on top of the normal order, nobody are going to bat an eyelash over

Its probably not a big deal for China to be few years behind world. iPhone 14 uses 5nm, this year 3nm will be introduced.

China is happy with progress and who knows in coming years gap can be reduced further.

It will not be too long before the gap is going to be between China leading the rest of the world and Murica.

Then we all will see and laugh at the desperate ways Murica and Japan and Holland trying to catch up and falling even further and further behind.

ANYONE LIKE TO TAKE A BET THAT THIS NEVER BE SO???

830541d85e2b343625a6ccda6fc16d0f.gif

Yes, that's the most probable explanation. And I am leaning on the latter than the former because as many commentators pointed out, if they get them before US sanction start in 2020, they are going to only have a small amount of chips for this. So, the question would be, would you anchor your flagship phone with these left-over chips set?
There are two scenarios:

1. They have solved all the technical problems, but they don't want to waste the chips they bought before being punished. So Huawei integrates spare chips into their phones. After using up all inventory, Huawei's other products will use self-developed indigenous chips

2. They haven't solved all the technical problems yet but it's just a matter of time. They can make enough profit with Huawei P60 and buy time, waiting until the native chip successfully develops itself, replacing imported products, which could be a few months or a year.

Umnn, probably not, unless I was selling chips to only a handful of people, in which case the business would be a failure.
That is the point, You are selling chips to a handful of people. I mean these chips are not general-purpose AND-gate ICs.

Back
Top Bottom