What's new

Sinha-Ley, Muslims and fascism

Gibbs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This thread is more or less for the Lankan posters to discuss about ethno politics thats going on in the island, But others are free to engage

I think this piece written by a Sri Lankan Muslim is one of very few of introspection, Lots of people talk about Muslims being victimized by ultra nationalist groups and few bigots in society, But the author here points out some very valid reasons why there are apprehensions towards some Muslims in recent years and how fringe extremists have exploited those fears.. @Godman @Saradiel @HeinzG @Azizam @NGV-H and @Tshering22 @SrNair @nair @Aung Zaya @Nilgiri @alaungphaya @AgNoStiC MuSliM Etc

Please lets not make this a religious discourse but a social one, Just like the author of the article intended it to be

For those uninitiated.. The Sinha- Ley (Lions Blood) is the latest campaign thats been going around mostly in social media and as a car sticker campaign by Sinhala supremacists, Most believe that the former Regime specifically the former Def Sec and brother of the deposed President Mahinda, Gotabhaya Rajapaksa is behind it with the notorious BBS and some fringe racist politicians, In a bid to come back to power by playing ethno politics, which they were renowned for

Untitled-5(313).jpg

Untitled-2(527).jpg

I am not a Sinha-Ley Muslim. Won’t ever be. I had no problem with the concept of being a Sinhala-Muslim during my childhood. In-fact I often used to think Ven. Mahinda Thera included us -- the minorities, in his poems and Anagarika Dharmapala in his, what I assumed were, anti colonialist speeches. That was why, during many of the Sinhala speech contests I took part in as a teenager, I chose the topic ‘Jaathiyata Diridun Lak Doo Puthun’ or a deviant close to it. I remember ending them with the poem.

“Be iwasannata Be iwasannata ammeni pembara Lanka Ma sitha ginnehi loo lunu men pupuranneya kopa vikaren E sanasannata Sinhala Ley athi Sinhala kolleku ayyo Dan upadinnema nadda Upulwan dev rajune Laka Rakna” All the while thinking, we also fit the criteria of a ‘ Sinhala Ley athi Sinhala kollek’.

Then I remember reading Kumarathunga Munidasa as well, when he said ‘nuwanath hela, niwanath hela’ - ‘hela’, to me, meant nothing more than the Island. More recently, when Desmond de Silva sang in ‘ Yanna Rata Watey, Enna maa priye’, the verse ‘ Sinhala Polawa mage mey’ I didn’t find anything odd. In fact it is one my favourite songs. So is C.T Fernando’s Hela Jathika Abhimane. I have no problem with the concept. Never did.

But I do have a problem with fascists trying to shove it down my throat. I have a problem with them trying to mask their fascism by saying we are all Sinhala-Muslims, and Sinhala-Tamils and other such pacifying nonsense, We are not and never will be. If that was true, why not be happy with the term Sri Lankan, instead of this chauvinism? I am not going to be forced into this fascist call for blood.

I also have a problem with Muslims who think they are ‘God’s chosen people’. Many do. Many believe that they follow the only true religion and they are here to save the rest of the world from hell fire. They can live in any delusion they want to, but it must stop with them. None of us want to be saved, and many of us are quite content the way we are. My problems don’t end there. I have a problem with Muslims who wear a Niqab, a type of attire that was intended to help mitigate the effects of sand storms in deserts. I have a problem with those wearing the Nikab walking around in a tropical country in the scorching sun in black head-to-toe attire. A change of colour won’t help, but the colour, which absorbs heat the most.

To me it is a significant pointer of the underlying irrationality. But that problem is sociological. As long as they keep to themselves, that’s fine. I believe in the right of choice, just like I would politically support the right of any woman or man to choose anything he/she want to wear. I have a problem with the Muslims who agree with one and not the other. I stand by the Nikab- politically, only because I stand for the right of women to chose to wear anything they prefer among every other right a human being should have. Thinking they are God’s chosen people, doesn’t make them any less-bigoted than the Sinha-ley jokers. The Nikab is, but one example out of many. I take this issue with those who are quick to quote scripture in defence of their bigotry.

If that were so, they can’t have issues with the ‘Sinha-Ley’ clan. After all, they are also using historical scripture and legend to justify their narrative; aren’t they? I have issues with those who don’t understand this logical hypocrisy. I also take this issue with the Muslims who understand all of this but don’t stand against this nonsense and are quick to point out the bigotry of the rest of the world.

I also take this issue with the Muslims who are passive and non-committal, because I witness everyday, the struggle my Sinhalese comrades undergo and commit themselves to against the fascism and the bigotry of their own kind, despite the perils of taking on such violent fascism. I stand against the Muslims who are continuing to alienate themselves from the South East Asian and Lankan cultural values that were such an integral part of the Lankan ethos. I will resist them too, just like I would resist the Sinhaley jokers. They are, but two sides of the same coin.

I have a problem with anyone who is shoving his political, religious or cultural fascism down my throat and I will resist it with every fibre within me. I think you should too.

(Hafeel is a Journalist, Attorney-at-Law and a graduate in International Relations. He is currently on a Fulbright scholarship reading for his Masters in New York). -

See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/104155/sinha-ley-muslims-and-fascism#sthash.KsDgJeFD.dpuf

Last edited:
Interesting.

How much is the split of Muslims in SL between tamil moors and other muslims (Sinhala and others?). I've always thought that moors make up almost all the Muslims in SL (not sure about the Malay Lankan community's religion however)...and that Sinhala were like 99% Buddhist and Christian.

Can the "Sinha-ley" movement actually include Muslims (that are Sinhala) as well? That seems very strange to me as they are conflicting ideology at the root (one is domestic ethnic supremacy, one is foreign dogma supremacy).

Sad that there is yet one more angle to the SL ethno/religious fault lines.

Interesting.

How much is the split of Muslims in SL between tamil moors and other muslims (Sinhala and others?). I've always thought that moors make up almost all the Muslims in SL (not sure about the Malay Lankan community's religion however)...and that Sinhala were like 99% Buddhist and Christian.

Can the "Sinha-ley" movement actually include Muslims (that are Sinhala) as well? That seems very strange to me as they are conflicting ideology at the root (one is domestic ethnic supremacy, one is foreign dogma supremacy).

Sad that there is yet one more angle to the SL ethno/religious fault lines.

Some Sinha - Ley proponents argue they indeed include all Sri Lankans but thats just a ruse to mislead imo.. The core of it is Sinhala supremacy

Actually Sri Lankan Moors are distinct from Sri Lankan Tamil Muslims.. Lankan Moors can actually trace their ancestry to the Middle East and North Africa, Tamil Muslims to South India, Specifically to Corromandel and Malabar coasts, So they're also not really Tamil to start off with but Telingu and Malayali but later Tamilzed over the centuries

Lankan Muslims are appox 7% of the population Tamil Muslims mainly spread out in the Eastern province, North West and also in Colombo, Moors in South Western coasts and in Kandy region, Malays in Colombo and deep South in Hambantota and the rest Bahai, Memons etc..

Unfortunate are the recent developments though, for the longest time Lankan Muslim community was one of the most cosmopolitan secular ones that existed in the region, And by large they still are but there is growing sense of discomfort of increasing sense of fundamentalism creeping in, Some are segregating themselves from the mainstream society, which leads to unease, Alien customs, Such as irrational dress sense as the author rightfully points out

It's good to see finally atleast a few mainstream Muslims themselves speak out, Because there needs to be two hands to clap as they say, Because a silent majority is way more dangerous than a loud minority

Actually Sri Lankan Moors are distinct from Sri Lankan Tamil Muslims.. Lankan Moors can actually trace their ancestry to the Middle East and North Africa, Tamil Muslims to South India, Specifically to Corromandel and Malabar coasts, So they're also not really Tamil to start off with but Telingu and Malayali but later Tamilzed over the centuries

OK I see. I just know moors and SL muslims use arabic script or something like that for writing their version of Tamil.

Their speech is somewhat different vocab wise, but generally understandable.

Are any of the Muslim community leaders/politicians in SL spearheading such pro-integration/anti-isolation/anti-extremism measures like the author is advocating?

I have found when that happens, at least the mainstream crowd starts to get organised and more resistant to tolerating extremist ideology...like I have seen in Singapore and many parts of India (where the opposite also unfortunately exists in other parts....crazily sometimes right next door to more integrated areas).

OK I see. I just know moors and SL muslims use arabic script or something like that for writing their version of Tamil.

Their speech is somewhat different vocab wise, but generally understandable.

Sri Lankan Muslims or atleast most of them are trilingual (The reason that the state and Army intelligence units were dominated by Muslims during the war) , Numerically Tamil Muslims are larger, Hence the reason why one might come across one more than a Moor, But for those who are more familiar are the distinct differences, Especially appearance of lighter complexion and hair/eye color

Are any of the Muslim community leaders/politicians in SL spearheading such pro-integration/anti-isolation/anti-extremism measures like the author is advocating?

I have found when that happens, at least the mainstream crowd starts to get organised and more resistant to tolerating extremist ideology...like I have seen in Singapore and many parts of India (where the opposite also unfortunately exists in other parts....crazily sometimes right next door to more integrated areas).

That unfortunately is not there AFAIK, then again you cant expect them to either, most are there to take advantage of the situation than to mitigate it

A campaign started by the British colonists now being hijacked by those consumed by greed and power.

Oh and consolidation of muslims into the movement is impossible.

This thread is more or less for the Lankan posters to discuss about ethno politics thats going on in the island, But others are free to engage

I think this piece written by a Sri Lankan Muslim is one of very few of introspection, Lots of people talk about Muslims being victimized by ultra nationalist groups and few bigots in society, But the author here points out some very valid reasons why there are apprehensions towards some Muslims in recent years and how fringe extremists have exploited those fears.. @Godman @Saradiel @HeinzG @Azizam @NGV-H and @Tshering22 @SrNair @nair @Aung Zaya @Nilgiri @alaungphaya @AgNoStiC MuSliM Etc

Please lets not make this a religious discourse but a social one, Just like the author of the article intended it to be

For those uninitiated.. The Sinha- Ley (Lions Blood) is the latest campaign thats been going around mostly in social media and as a car sticker campaign by Sinhala supremacists, Most believe that the former Regime specifically the former Def Sec and brother of the deposed President Mahinda, Gotabhaya Rajapaksa is behind it with the notorious BBS and some fringe racist politicians, In a bid to come back to power by playing ethno politics, which they were renowned for

Untitled-5(313).jpg

Untitled-2(527).jpg

I am not a Sinha-Ley Muslim. Won’t ever be. I had no problem with the concept of being a Sinhala-Muslim during my childhood. In-fact I often used to think Ven. Mahinda Thera included us -- the minorities, in his poems and Anagarika Dharmapala in his, what I assumed were, anti colonialist speeches. That was why, during many of the Sinhala speech contests I took part in as a teenager, I chose the topic ‘Jaathiyata Diridun Lak Doo Puthun’ or a deviant close to it. I remember ending them with the poem.

“Be iwasannata Be iwasannata ammeni pembara Lanka Ma sitha ginnehi loo lunu men pupuranneya kopa vikaren E sanasannata Sinhala Ley athi Sinhala kolleku ayyo Dan upadinnema nadda Upulwan dev rajune Laka Rakna” All the while thinking, we also fit the criteria of a ‘ Sinhala Ley athi Sinhala kollek’.

Then I remember reading Kumarathunga Munidasa as well, when he said ‘nuwanath hela, niwanath hela’ - ‘hela’, to me, meant nothing more than the Island. More recently, when Desmond de Silva sang in ‘ Yanna Rata Watey, Enna maa priye’, the verse ‘ Sinhala Polawa mage mey’ I didn’t find anything odd. In fact it is one my favourite songs. So is C.T Fernando’s Hela Jathika Abhimane. I have no problem with the concept. Never did.

But I do have a problem with fascists trying to shove it down my throat. I have a problem with them trying to mask their fascism by saying we are all Sinhala-Muslims, and Sinhala-Tamils and other such pacifying nonsense, We are not and never will be. If that was true, why not be happy with the term Sri Lankan, instead of this chauvinism? I am not going to be forced into this fascist call for blood.

I also have a problem with Muslims who think they are ‘God’s chosen people’. Many do. Many believe that they follow the only true religion and they are here to save the rest of the world from hell fire. They can live in any delusion they want to, but it must stop with them. None of us want to be saved, and many of us are quite content the way we are. My problems don’t end there. I have a problem with Muslims who wear a Niqab, a type of attire that was intended to help mitigate the effects of sand storms in deserts. I have a problem with those wearing the Nikab walking around in a tropical country in the scorching sun in black head-to-toe attire. A change of colour won’t help, but the colour, which absorbs heat the most.

To me it is a significant pointer of the underlying irrationality. But that problem is sociological. As long as they keep to themselves, that’s fine. I believe in the right of choice, just like I would politically support the right of any woman or man to choose anything he/she want to wear. I have a problem with the Muslims who agree with one and not the other. I stand by the Nikab- politically, only because I stand for the right of women to chose to wear anything they prefer among every other right a human being should have. Thinking they are God’s chosen people, doesn’t make them any less-bigoted than the Sinha-ley jokers. The Nikab is, but one example out of many. I take this issue with those who are quick to quote scripture in defence of their bigotry.

If that were so, they can’t have issues with the ‘Sinha-Ley’ clan. After all, they are also using historical scripture and legend to justify their narrative; aren’t they? I have issues with those who don’t understand this logical hypocrisy. I also take this issue with the Muslims who understand all of this but don’t stand against this nonsense and are quick to point out the bigotry of the rest of the world.

I also take this issue with the Muslims who are passive and non-committal, because I witness everyday, the struggle my Sinhalese comrades undergo and commit themselves to against the fascism and the bigotry of their own kind, despite the perils of taking on such violent fascism. I stand against the Muslims who are continuing to alienate themselves from the South East Asian and Lankan cultural values that were such an integral part of the Lankan ethos. I will resist them too, just like I would resist the Sinhaley jokers. They are, but two sides of the same coin.

I have a problem with anyone who is shoving his political, religious or cultural fascism down my throat and I will resist it with every fibre within me. I think you should too.

(Hafeel is a Journalist, Attorney-at-Law and a graduate in International Relations. He is currently on a Fulbright scholarship reading for his Masters in New York). -

See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/104155/sinha-ley-muslims-and-fascism#sthash.KsDgJeFD.dpuf

World dislikes the extreme version of Islam that encourage such stupid Arab culture in our land ,that is Wahhabism.

Some Sinha - Ley proponents argue they indeed include all Sri Lankans but thats just a ruse to mislead imo.. The core of it is Sinhala supremacy

Lankan Muslims are appox 7% of the population Tamil Muslims mainly spread out in the Eastern province, North West and also in Colombo, Moors in South Western coasts and in Kandy region, Malays in Colombo and deep South in Hambantota and the rest Bahai, Memons etc..

Unfortunate are the recent developments though, for the longest time Lankan Muslim community was one of the most cosmopolitan secular ones that existed in the region, And by large they still are but there is growing sense of discomfort of increasing sense of fundamentalism creeping in, Some are segregating themselves from the mainstream society, which leads to unease, Alien customs, Such as irrational dress sense as the author rightfully points out

It's good to see finally atleast a few mainstream Muslims themselves speak out, Because there needs to be two hands to clap as they say, Because a silent majority is way more dangerous than a loud minority
Is there is any differences between the rest of Hindu Tamils and those SL Tamils and SL moors .?
Genetically or anthropologically ?

One day or the other srilankan Buddhists need hindus from India for their existence and survaival from ISIS mindset, they should see the future what is in store for the Buddhist community from the ISIS mindset, example is Bamiyan Buddha, hatered for kaffirs is inbuilt among them, all these years there was no religious threat, even LTTE was christian movement, that's why always Norway mediated between srilankan and LTTE, That's one of the reasons Indian Hindus hated LTTE, now its a bigger threat where srilankan culture, identity, and survival is at stake from global terrorist ideology.

I'm no fan of Niqab, but this piece is highly self-contradictory:
... They can live in any delusion they want to, but it must stop with them. None of us want to be saved, and many of us are quite content the way we are. My problems don’t end there. I have a problem with Muslims who wear a Niqab, a type of attire that was intended to help mitigate the effects of sand storms in deserts. I have a problem with those wearing the Nikab walking around in a tropical country in the scorching sun in black head-to-toe attire. A change of colour won’t help, but the colour, which absorbs heat the most.

Take a look at the parts in bold. So you want Muslims to not interfere with your way of life, but then you want to decide what Muslims get to wear? Lol.

What's happening in srilanka is world wide phenomenon due to the spread of jihadi philosophy, there is nothing like secularism in islam, better you srilankans open your eyes, or elese it maybe too late.

Take a look at the parts in bold. So you want Muslims to not interfere with your way of life, but then you want to decide what Muslims get to wear? Lol.

For an ordinary outsider (Non-muslim) "Niqab" is actually very offensive thing to digest.....its just feels like a "salt on monsoon-worms" to them.

I'm no fan of Niqab, but this piece is highly self-contradictory:

First of all it's not just my point of view but of the author who himself is a mainstream Muslim

Second what he rightfully wants to point out is the recent phenomena of Alien Arabic customs creeping in to his community, In the guise of Muslim belief, He is trying to address one of the concerns that the larger community is facing

These points clearly manifest that

. I stand against the Muslims who are continuing to alienate themselves from the South East Asian and Lankan cultural values that were such an integral part of the Lankan ethos. I will resist them too, just like I would resist the Sinhaley jokers. They are, but two sides of the same coin.

I have a problem with Muslims who wear a Niqab, a type of attire that was intended to help mitigate the effects of sand storms in deserts. I have a problem with those wearing the Nikab walking around in a tropical country in the scorching sun in black head-to-toe attire. A change of colour won’t help, but the colour, which absorbs heat the most.

For an ordinary outsider (Non-muslim) "Niqab" is actually very offensive thing to digest.....its just feels like a "salt on monsoon-worms" to them.

More than that it's hard to digest why these Muslim communities that lives on these countries for centuries if not millenia, Are suddenly openly embracing customs that are not only totally alien to the general public but by doing so self segregating themselves from the society at large ? And that only since a decade or two ? People around the world are used to the hijab(head scarf) it has been part and parcel of Muslims everywhere, But Muslims themselves admit that the Burka has nothing to do with religious beliefs, As this article itself implies.. Correct me if i'm wrong

First of all it's not just my point of view but of the author who himself is a mainstream Muslim

Second what he rightfully wants to point out is the recent phenomena of Alien Arabic customs creeping in to his community, In the guise of Muslim belief, He is trying to address one of the concerns that the larger community is facing

These points clearly manifest that

I know, I was referring to the author when I said 'you'. I share the same concerns as you regarding the spread of Salafism/Wahabism.

Is there is any differences between the rest of Hindu Tamils and those SL Tamils and SL moors .?
Genetically or anthropologically ?

SL Muslims do not consider themselves Tamil, They are a distinct ethnic group recognized by the constitution, The main four being Sinhala, Tamil, Moor and Burgher.. Even though vast majority of Muslims especially in the East may well trace their ancestry to South India and their mother tongue being Tamil, One reason Tamil separatists led by the LTTE prosecuted them

Imo, SL Tamils are made of 3 groups, first the Jaffna Tamils, People who have been inhabiting the island since the 4th century in recorded terms or even before, Some later arrivals from Chola and Pandya conquests

Second those who were bought as slave labor by the Dutch from South India (Tamil Nadu, PondiCherry, Corromandel and Malabar coasts) in the 14th century to work in the tobacco plantations in the Northern plains (Now known as the Vanni) and the East, Which makes the bulk of the so called Sri Lankan Tamils.. Most of those in the East happen to be Tamil Muslims

And the Indian origin or Plantation Tamils bought over by the Brits in the 18th Century as indentured labour to work in the Coffee and later Tea plantations in the central highlands, These people are 99% from current day Tamil Nadu

So all three groups as you can see are very much alike both Genetically and Anthropologically to Tamils world over, Including Tamil Muslims

I wouldn't be surprised in Lankans were inspired by the Burmese 969 movement of Buddhist nationalists. They and their cohorts have their stickers everywhere as a sort of silent aggression against the muzzers. Not that I don't like muslims and see their overpopulation as a threat but movements like this are just very crass.

Infact, that they have links to establishment political figures who are using ethnic tension as a form of political leverage suggests to me they were directly guided by the Burmese.

Back
Top Bottom