What's new

Should Pakistan build Kalabagh dam to overcome electrical issues

Do you favoure the construction of Kalabagh dam

• Total voters
no because

sindh will recieve less water, and it will effect the population here.

Kalabagh dam will break Pakistan so its a dead issue.

WRONG: It is not gong to break anything but the hegemony of few landlords .

I say GO ahead with Kala Bagh dam. Its much needed and trust me any government who is going to take the firm decision of building it despite some occasional hue and cry by some vested elements, this will enhance the image as well as overcome power shortage.

Above all our people need to be educated that World Bank is opposing its construction but why?

Think over it these International entities like IMF and WB are basically there to protect the interests of their creators and not of third world countries. In this case creating food shortage leading to civil anarchy in Pakistan is one of the tools they use for it.

The politicians should get over petty provicial issues and get on with building the dam.

WRONG: It is not gong to break anything but the hegemony of few landlords .

I say GO ahead with Kala Bagh dam. Its much needed and trust me any government who is going to take the firm decision of building it despite some occasional hue and cry by some vested elements, this will enhance the image as well as overcome power shortage.

Above all our people need to be educated that World Bank is opposing its construction but why?

Think over it these International entities like IMF and WB are basically there to protect the interests of their creators and not of third world countries. In this case creating food shortage leading to civil anarchy in Pakistan is one of the tools they use for it.

On contrary it will hurt the millions of peasants and fisherfolk of the coastal districts whose livelihoods will be destroyed not to mention mangrove forest and fishes.

Though the issue is being politicize for way too long but the concern over the project are all real and severe. Myths like cheap hydel power or wasted water have been busted by independent studies.

@apophenia: I agree with your views regarding Kalabagh Dam but your signature upsets me........

Forget about this kalabagh dam and if possible built other dams. All three provinces and most of their people are against kala bagh dam. The perception that punjab dictates term will also be elevated. And this notion that this is hue and cry of just few land lords is not correct almost every one i met from khyber pakhtoonkhwa and sind apposed it construction.

Simple point is because kalabagh benfits punjab so every now and then you will hear voices from punjab to go ahead for its construction.

Simple point is because kalabagh benfits punjab so every now and then you will hear voices from punjab to go ahead for its construction.

Not necessarily, I am Punjabi yet I oppose it's construction for the greater good of Pakistan.

by arazFifth, the problem and perception in Sindh that reduction in the down flow would seriously affect the water supply to the province and affect the land that is presently cultivated.

Sir you have the same perception when india builts dam over some of its river in kashmir region

1/3 have voted NO...the dam cant be that good ...those opposing must have some valid points..

1/3 have voted NO...the dam cant be that good ...those opposing must have some valid points..

Yeah, Sindh will get drier, KP will get soggier, both don't want that.

then it will be very tough to build this because Pakistan is not just Punjab..

no actually nothing will happen. The water will not disappear and sindh being a part of our country will get its stake. Its just a lack of trust among both provinces (punjab and sindh)

I am sure if there was enough to build this dam all alone, these minor issue could have been resolved peacefully. For now its more of a political game rather than debate over the importance of this dam

yup....you will also have your much needed water.....

then it will be very tough to build this because Pakistan is not just Punjab..

Yes but it more or less has to do with political parties working to score votes then the wishes of the people.
But reality remains, we cannot go ahead with the project without every province's approval.

Back
Top Bottom