What's new

Should Countries with Large Armed Forces look for War?

A lot of people on here mock China because we have a "lack of warfighting experience", due to the fact that we haven't been in a war for the past 3+ decades.

Now that doesn't mean we should start a war, in order to gain warfighting experience and to allow our military industrial complex to thrive. There are other ways to gain such experience (and to make use of our military production), such as peacekeeping operations and other forms of UN-sanctioned military operations. While not optimal, it's a lot better than nothing.

America can launch wars and invasions all over the world, but China is not in that position yet, and will not be in that position for the next few decades. Entering a war poses too much of a risk for our business interests, that's why we're staying away from Syria even while the rest of the P5 have jumped in a long time ago.

Risk is too high right now, we are still in a transition phase.

A lot of people on here mock China because we have a "lack of warfighting experience", due to the fact that we haven't been in a war for the past 3+ decades.

I am sure that shall be the lot who have neither ever had a bullet go from next to their ears, nor will have that experience ever. The Chinese policy is quite well apparent and is in principles with Art Of War, full respects to it, no two ways about it.

America can launch wars and invasions all over the world, but China is not in that position yet, and will not be in that position for the next few decades. Entering a war poses too much of a risk for our business interests, that's why we're staying away from Syria even while the rest of the P5 have jumped in a long time ago.

Risk is too high right now, we are still in a transition phase.

I doubt China will ever intercede in any area where it's core interests are not at stake, and by that I mean short of Taiwan, I do not see any direct intervention by China anywhere.

The unsettled boundary between our nations also, sees instances of bilateral transgressions only as means to maintain the official bargaining position (probing ops in other words), if there was any likelihood of conflict, it would have taken place.

Mere hype I daresay?

I doubt China will ever intercede in any area where it's core interests are not at stake, and by that I mean short of Taiwan, I do not see any direct intervention by China anywhere.

This is very true. Chinese people in general simply won't accept their tax money being spent on military invasions halfway across the world (in places we do not care about), especially when millions of Chinese people are still in poverty. This is an issue that the Chinese government knows to be very careful with.

Taiwan (Republic of China) being the one real exception, since that is very much a issue of the Chinese Civil War, i.e. it is seen as an internal matter.

The unsettled boundary between our nations also, sees instances of bilateral transgressions only as means to maintain the official bargaining position (probing ops in other words), if there was any likelihood of conflict, it would have taken place.

Mere hype I daresay?

The Sino-Indian border dispute has never really been a priority, in fact I never even knew about it until fairly recently, and I went to an International School in HK. It's not even on the radar compared to issues like Taiwan.

As long as nobody starts shooting at China, the main thing for us will always be Taiwan, and we have waited more than half a century on the chance that the reunification might be a peaceful one. And can probably wait half a century more.

, and we have waited more than half a century on the chance that the reunification might be a peaceful one. And can probably wait half a century more.

A strong convergence on policies by both countries if you get my gist. If I say more, it shall invite troll fest

Thanks for your excellent and pragmatic input.

I thought our military objectives are clear..... Defend the territory and the national interest....Nothing less nothing more........ We have been doing that all these years, and we will be doing that in future especially with the modernization plans we have......

You make an excellent point. Perhaps our objectives need to expand somewhere along the lines of which Japan expanded the mandate of their armed forces.

Back
Top Bottom