What's new

Shia rebels 'seize Yemen city'

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BBC News - Yemeni city Taiz 'seized by Shia rebels'
Parts of Yemen's third largest city Taiz have been seized by Shia rebels, reports quoting security officials say.

The city's airport was among the areas seized by Houthi rebels, reports said.

There has been mounting violence by rival armed groups in Yemen, including Houthi rebels, al-Qaeda and Islamic State militants.

On Saturday, the US said it was withdrawing its troops from the country due to the worsening security situation.

Houthi fighters dressed in military uniform could be seen arriving at the airport, while dozens of tanks and military vehicles could be seen heading south towards Taiz, eyewitnesses told reporters.

The Houthi fighters were said to be supported by fighters loyal to former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh.

The strategic city of Taiz is located between the capital, Sanaa, and the southern city of Aden.

The UN Security Council is holding an emergency meeting on Yemen's security situation on Sunday.

Not all of it, but it's north of Aden. So big question is will they go on for Aden. Which will either give them decisive victory or civil war.

I'm not sure, any sources to suggest that?
no sources needed when there is nothing to stop them why would they accept less i knew this would happen when they took over the capital and no one oppose them yeman army should have been stronger and not allow anyone to challenge the authority of the state

It is good to see the whole world is doing a massive cleanup operation against Takfiri ideology exported from Saudi Arabia.

From Pakistan to Afghanistan to Iraq to Syria to Egypt to Tunisia to Yemen to etc to etc.

The filth is being cleaned up. It was long overdue.

no sources needed when there is nothing to stop them why would they accept less i knew this would happen when they took over the capital and no one oppose them yeman army should have been stronger and not allow anyone to challenge the authority of the state

Yemeni army is helping them. A lot of Yemeni army are pro-Houthi. If it's true that will target Aden I believe Hadi forces will surrender and Hadi might flee. AQ is to the east and they're weak. But it means Houthis would control most important cities in Yemen. My question is how much manpower they have? Plus I hear rhetoric that they might target Saudi Arabia. I don't believe that's true but I don't know. Obviously Saudis stability will be most worrying to international community.

The truth is that Yemen has always been a highly unstable mess. In fact they have been in worse situations and turmoil. Lets not forget the uproar that overthrew president Saleh. Wasnt that a challenge to the state also? Yet not much fuss was made about it. Hadi has seemingly not been been much better.
But it strikes me as odd that everyone rings the alarms bell and make major news out of it now, just because the Houthis are on the frontline this time.

domestic jihad is ok as long as civilized world is safe from it . carry on and keep killing each other

On the name of shia in few years time they wil be on each others throat for difference between 12ers and zaidis its a never ending vicious cycle

It's not exactly "shia". It's a conflict between North and southern separatists. The Yemeni army is allied with the Houthis.
This conflict goes back hundreds of years and didnt come with Iran. Large and powerful sunni tribes align with the Houthis as part of the northern alliance.

The gulf is pushing towards a civil war the same way they did in Syria.

On the name of shia in few years time they wil be on each others throat for difference between 12ers and zaidis its a never ending vicious cycle
No they won't, shia aren't that crazy about being different, they only fight in self defence.

It's not exactly "shia". It's a conflict between North and southern separatists. The Yemeni army is allied with the Houthis.
This conflict goes back hundreds of years and didnt come with Iran. Large and powerful sunni tribes align with the Houthis as part of the northern alliance.

The gulf is pushing towards a civil war the same way they did in Syria.

These days, it's natural to blame Iran for anything, it has became a fashion. No one mentions the deep corruption that had gripped Yemen and extreme unsatisfactory situation of people, but when Houthis acted (with support of majority of Yemenis) Iran is suddenly accused of supporting Houthis to overthrow a 'legitimate' government, by gulf standards of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom