What's new

Sectarian target killings in Karachi

This type of sectarian violence upsurged in the 90s too. Is there a specific political reason for it to flare up again this time?

You echoed what I was thinking.

MQM chief calls sectarian hatred the mark of the hypocrite, intolerant

By Our Correspondent
Published: January 31, 2012

Hussain was speaking via telephone to clerics on Monday at an event organised by the MQM in connection with the Islamic calendar month of Rabiul Awwal. PHOTO: FILE
KARACHI: As sectarian violence threatens to flare up in Karachi, Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain has called for those who incite hatred in the name of religion to be declared hypocrites (munafiqeen).
Hussain said that people need to unite against those trying to invoke sectarian violence, as he noted that target killings of Shias had begun anew in Karachi.
Hussain was speaking via telephone to clerics on Monday at an event organised by the MQM in connection with the Islamic calendar month of Rabiul Awwal, on the twelfth of which Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) was born.
He said those spreading hatred or involved in violence did not deserve any concessions. The pain felt by the families of the victims of either sect was equal, which is why he renewed his appeal to defeat conspiracies intended to ignite sectarian clashes.
He also asked what “compulsion in Islam” was. “When God has said in the Holy Quran that there was no compulsion in religion, what is this ‘jabriya Islam?’ To force your beliefs on another?” He noted that there were people who incited hatred at the pulpit. The MQM chief said that the party had always strived to spread religious harmony and to create a society where people were free to practice their faith.
Ahle Tasheeh leader Allama Abbas Kumaili said there was a need to record sermons to know who was responsible for spreading sectarian hatred, but that the government was not able to. He said there was a need to “crush” those responsible, and called on the MQM to take the lead.
Responding to Hussain’s question about religion by force, Allama Kumaili said that Pakistan was the only country where this was taking place. He said this was being done as part of an international conspiracy. “There’s been a lot of talk about deweaponisation. Either there should be no weapons or everyone should have arms for self defence,” Allama Kumaili said.
Allama Amir Abdullah Ali Farooqi said the ulema would support the MQM in its work for peace.
Maulana Tanveerul Haq Thanvi quoted a Hadith by Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) and highlighted that Islam called for rights for and protection for the life and property of non-Muslims as well. Allama Qadri noted that Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) advocated tolerance and not violence or revenge. He declared that the ways adopted by ‘jihadis’ and ‘whatever was going on in Waziristan was wrong’.
The event, held at the Lal Qila Ground in Azizabad on Monday, was attended by clerics, scholars and prayer leaders from different sects and schools of thought.
Allama Rashid Ali questioned why banned groups were allowed to hold rallies and proclaim they were defending Pakistan, a hint at the Difa-e-Pakistan Council, a coalition of religious-political parties that has been holding rallies countrywide. He also called for clerics to practice brotherhood when they were off camera as well.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

This type of sectarian violence upsurged in the 90s too. Is there a specific political reason for it to flare up again this time?

There hasnt been any stoping since 90's , its been regular since than

more deaths bring toll to 10 in Karachi

DAWN.COM |Agencies (5 hours ago) Today

People gather outside the franchise of a local telecom company after a firing incident in North Nazimabad Town Area on Tuesday. – Photo by Online
KARACHI: The metropolis was witnessing a surge in target killings as 10 people died in a renewed wave of sectarian and ethnic killings in the past 24 hours, DawnNews reported on Tuesday.

The menace of target killings has raised its head again in the Quaid’s city and several people have been victimised in the past few hours.

In the latest development, unidentified men ambushed a mobile phone franchise in Nazimabad. Two people, including a woman, died during the armed attack.

Moreover, a man was killed in a knife attack in the city’s Surjani Town area.

Separately, a 40-year-old doctor was also killed in the city’s Malir Halt area on Tuesday morning.

On Monday night, MPA Mir Bakhtiar Domki’s wife and their daughter died in an incident of target killing.

They were returning home after attending a wedding overnight when their car was intercepted by two motorcyclists who shot them and their driver dead, police official Rahim Ullah said.

“Some of those were killed because of sectarian reasons.” A security official said at least 25 people had been killed over the last week, mostly as part of sectarian conflict between Pakistan’s majority Sunni and minority Shia Muslim communities.

“Terrorists killed people including three lawyers and two doctors because of their sects,” the official said.

Zohra Yusuf, the head of Pakistan’s Human Rights Commission, said data was still being compiled but that 35 to 40 people had been killed in sectarian violence in Karachi this month.

Moreover, three activists of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) were gunned down in the city’s North Karachi area.

In Karachi’s F. B area, Taseer Abbas, the 25-year-old manager of a fast food outlet, was shot dead late on Monday.

Police and Rangers personnel had started patrolling the affected areas.

The rangers cordoned off the areas of Liaquatabad, Illyas Goth, Baloch Para and Orangi Town and conducted a search operation.

After a six-hour-long operation, 36 suspects were arrested and weapons were seized from their possession, sources told DawnNews.

Pakistan’s rights bodies said more than 1,000 people were killed in violence in Karachi last year, including more than 100 in one week alone in October.

There hasnt been any stoping since 90's , its been regular since than

A low level of sectarian violence has been endemic in Karachi for decades, but flareups such as this usually have definite causes that can be dealt with on a short term basis.

VCheng sir,

With due respect, i have been in this world, for a relatively shorter time period compared to you (from what i have read about you on this forum from your experience/age etc).

What i mean is that this type of violence has always been there in Pakistan. In 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s.2000s. The reason is not political. The reason is the lack of tolerance and lack of education that our people have.

Like they say, Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Our Law enforcement has failed miserably. So has our justice. And above all, the nation itself.

Oh, btw, why the change in your avatar? :cheesy:

VCheng sir,

With due respect, i have been in this world, for a relatively shorter time period compared to you (from what i have read about you on this forum from your experience/age etc).

What i mean is that this type of violence has always been there in Pakistan. In 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s.2000s. The reason is not political. The reason is the lack of tolerance and lack of education that our people have.

Like they say, Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Our Law enforcement has failed miserably. So has our justice. And above all, the nation itself.

I accept that violence has been a part of live, and that law and order is failing miserably. However, acute resurgences in violence like this are usually motivated for specific reasons, that is all.

Oh, btw, why the change in your avatar? :cheesy:

I just like this new avatar better! :D

I am getting ready to retire in Pakistan I guess! ;)

I accept that violence has been a part of live, and that law and order is failing miserably. However, acute resurgences in violence like this are usually motivated for specific reasons, that is all.

I just like this new avatar better! :D

I am getting ready to retire in Pakistan I guess! ;)

we were so happy with your american flag what happened

patriotic guy

we were so happy with your american flag what happened

patriotic guy

The US flag is still there, is it not? Your happiness is not my concern, or do you think it should be?

What are your thoughts on sectarian violence in Karachi?

I need to stay on topic before some biased admin or mod decides to pile on more points. :D

Don't understand why blame others, when all the Sipa Sahaba and all hardcore religious militant groups openly invite their follower to kill shia in their speeches. I don't blame PPP or MQM for all sectarian standoff. Its election season neither PPP can afford any unrest in Karachi nor MQM would lose their shia segment of voters. Its just simple target killing, whoever is pursuing cases against these *** ( Anjuman Sipha Sahaba). They are killing them. If any sunni raise the voice against they target him too.

A low level of sectarian violence has been endemic in Karachi for decades, but flareups such as this usually have definite causes that can be dealt with on a short term basis.

its linked globally to do with irani - saudi turf war really ... both have their assets fighting each other on our soil .. sipah sahaba , ASWJ , JUD all banned but operate freely in karachi .. open advertising asking for donations etc

its linked globally to do with irani - saudi turf war really ... both have their assets fighting each other on our soil .. sipah sahaba , ASWJ , JUD all banned but operate freely in karachi .. open advertising asking for donations etc

Pak Marine first case of sectarian killing was recorded in Theri near Sukkur . I think 1963 when lots of shia been killed . Its not new. What you expect when kids in madrassa maula is teaching , if kill one shia , you built one house in heaven. Plus 72 virgins. Unfortunately these sexually sick militant always in rush to die.

no thank you old age home is waiting for you in US ;)

Luckily, you can't prevent me from doing whatever I want to decide for myself! :D

That is indeed one of the factors that play a role in the Shia-Sunni violence. All sorts of international and domestic nefarious characters find the lack of law and order in Pakistan to their liking obviously.

That is indeed one of the factors that play a role in the Shia-Sunni violence. All sorts of international and domestic nefarious characters find the lack of law and order in Pakistan to their liking obviously.

my point was there is no quick remedy , ... religious seminaries work day and night to ensure sentiments are kept high , few days back there was a jui - jalsa , if u will see the images there were hundred thousands of maderssa students attending it. Having the massive cache of weapons already in the city These brain washed kids once needed will be used as foot soldiers to cause mayhem in the city. Its a huge issue. Police dont dare touch these people , we need more than a brigade of army to enter these locations. So bottom line there has to be an all out action against these people else this shall continue forever

Back
Top Bottom