What's new

SD-10 vs AIM-120 (Latest versions)

Mani2020: Pakistan Air Force in the use of SD-10B from the air to air missiles means Xiaolong fighter will continue to use China's avionics system, the future Xiaolong fighter will be equipped with active phased array radar, in line with China forward in the ZDK-03 Pakistan-based early warning aircraft bound to a substantial increase in air combat aircraft performance, and the formation of a new generation of air combat system. 届时枭龙战机也将完全可以对抗装备有BARS无源相控阵雷达和R-77E中距空空导弹的印度空军苏-30MKI战斗机,从而大大改善目前巴基斯坦在印巴空军对比中的劣势处境。 Xiaolong fighters will also be fully equipped with BARS against the passive phased array radar and the R-77E air to air missiles in the Indian Air Force from the Su-30MKI fighters, which greatly improve the contrast of Pakistan Air Force in the India-Pakistan situation of disadvantage.

Mani,

Thanks for the post----this para needs to be deciphered---what does this really mean!

Sd-10B has a 100KM range bt sad our Klj-7 radar range is 105km..its range should be atleast 160km

Mastan Khan

Mani,

Thanks for the post----this para needs to be deciphered---what does this really mean!

MK i also don't know actually i found it ,google translator was able to translate only those lines which i have posted ,rest of the lines were not translated i don't know the reason but atleast that is all i know.You can try google translator may be it will work for you or Chinese members can better tell us what is written in those un-translated lines

Enough man, nobody fires missiles @100-150 km range

Sure?

AIM-54 Range: In excess of 100 nautical miles (120 mi; 190 km)
AIM-54 Phoenix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AIM-152 Range : 185 km+
AIM-152 AAAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vympel R-33 (160 km), R-33E (130 km), R-33S (228 km)
R-33 (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AA-10 Alamo
R-27ER: up to 130 km
R-27ET: up to 120 km
R-27AE up to 130 km
R-27EM: up to 170km
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-27_(air-to-air_missile)

AA-12 Adder
R-77M1 up to 160km
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-77_(missile)

MBDA Meteor : 100+ km
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBDA_Meteor

Sure?

AIM-54 Range: In excess of 100 nautical miles (120 mi; 190 km)

AIM-152 Range : 185 km+
AIM-152 AAAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vympel R-33 (160 km), R-33E (130 km), R-33S (228 km)
R-33 (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AA-10 Alamo
R-27ER: up to 130 km
R-27ET: up to 120 km
R-27AE up to 130 km
R-27EM: up to 170km
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-27_(air-to-air_missile)

AA-12 Adder
R-77M1 up to 160km
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-77_(missile)

MBDA Meteor : 100+ km
MBDA Meteor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My point was nobody fire missiles to a maneuverable target from the distance - 100+ even if the range is more than 100.

Got it?
Range varies in different altitudes.

Sd-10B has a 100KM range bt sad our Klj-7 radar range is 105km..its range should be atleast 160km

100 km is the MAX DYNAMIC range. It doesn't mean it will hit the target at that range. It means that under the favorable circumstances of
- high altitude of 10-12000 meters
- no cross winds
- launch velocity of 1.5+ Mach
- no Maneuvering

it will be able to cover a distance of 100 kms. But in a real scenario where all this won't be possible, this missile won't do any more than 50-60 kms. And to get a kill, you'll need to get even closer.

So the JF-17 radar isn't a bottleneck.

100 km is the MAX DYNAMIC range. It doesn't mean it will hit the target at that range. It means that under the favorable circumstances of
- high altitude of 10-12000 meters
- no cross winds
- launch velocity of 1.5+ Mach
- no Maneuvering

it will be able to cover a distance of 100 kms. But in a real scenario where all this won't be possible, this missile won't do any more than 50-60 kms. And to get a kill, you'll need to get even closer.

So the JF-17 radar isn't a bottleneck.
nice informative post
btw i really admire your posts :yahoo::yahoo:

Who ever say ...wt ever........

I dont care.....coz I m happy, that we have both SD-10 and AIM-120

On January 5, 1999, a pair of U.S. F-14s fired two AIM-54 at Iraqi MiG-25s southeast of Baghdad. Both AIM-54s' rocket motors failed and neither missile hit its target.

On September 9, 1999 another U.S. F-14 launched an AIM-54 at an Iraqi MiG-23 that was heading south into the No-Fly Zone from Al Taqaddum air base west of Baghdad. The missile missed, eventually going into the ground after the Iraqi fighter reversed course and sped back north.

:woot:

I am interested here in the "greater than Mach 5" speed!! .... ... and how it relates to the range considering it is "only greater than 70km". I want to bring this speed in the discussion and how it comapres with other missiles and their ranges.

2l9nx5g.jpg

At 156kg and Mach 4, the maximum kinetic energy for the AIM-120 = 144.481 megajoules.

At 199kg and Mach 5, the maximum kinetic energy for the SD-10 = 287.555 megajoules.

The SD-10 has twice the kinetic energy and with an indentical body (???) it is interesting that the SD-10 will not have at least the same range!!!

Any thoughts?

I believe the Chinese are providing the 70KM or so range version of the SD-10 on the international market, while for their own use, they are having a more ranged version of the SD-10. Since the start of this missile program or for years, the 70KM range is being quoted, its for sure that in so many years they would have increased the range of their missile to atleast 100KM or even more, as suggested in some of the Chinese sources that SD-10 with 100KM range has been tested or may be operational.

Plus, if we look at the figures in the above pic, the altitude range is 0-21KM and range is 70KM, what my understanding is, it means if the missile is fired from a ground station at 0 KM then it can go to a height or altitude of 21KM and range of 70KM (maximum performance), thus if you imagine it on a graph like page, it has to fly up (vertical slope wise) to 21Km and horizontally 70Km, which in reality would mean a lot of distance covered, since the missile has to travel vertically as well as horizontally. But if the missile is launched from an aircraft at lets say 10K feet on a target also hovering at 10K or 9K feet, then the missile has to fly in nearly a straight horizontal flight path, thus its energy of going vertical flight path would be saved, meaning it can cover more ground resulting in greater range then 70KM, may be even 90KM or more.

This is my understanding, as these figures mean the maximum performance the missile can give if launched at its maximum altitude from 0KM to 21Km, it can achieve a range of 70KM, if it is fired from an aerial target at a certain height, then it can cover more range as there would be no flight path or vertical distance to achieve.

Hope, i made some sense.

sir can it possible to have a SD-10 ground launch version like aim-120 with extended range ?

Back
Top Bottom