What's new

SD-10 vs AIM-120 (Latest versions)

SD-10B = 130km-150km :what:

Any reliable source sir???

I would be great.200 JF-17 thunders loaded with SD-10Bs having range of ~ 145km :yahoo::yahoo:

It will be provide a great punch for PAF :cheers: :tup:

Last edited:
SD-10= 70 km

SD-10A=90-100 km

SD-10B=130-150km

That is SUPER optimism according to me.
If that is the case, then SD-10C will be 200 km, and SD-10D will be 250 km, and soon we will have missiles that will have 500 km range. lol.

Range doesn't always increase in newer versions. There is a limit after which increasing range requires a lot of technical research, and for every km of range increased, the cost of research starts to increase 5x.

So SD-10A = 70kms, and at max SD-10B = 90 kms

I think SD-10C will be up to 100km

I think SD-10D will be ramjet powered and be 100+km.

aamd.jpg

You can convert any AAM into a SAM, but the range of the missile would be reduced by at least 40% due to drag at lower altitudes.

is there any ways to keep the range intact by suppose by increasing fuel by extending the missile size/diameter or by any other means .:undecided:

Whats this crazy fetish with range; the seeker, electronics, PK and manuverability/agility of the missile are far more important especially in our case. No pilot in his right mind will fire his missile at the maximum range, an opposing well trained pilot would easily defeat incoming missiles fired at maximum range since missiles loose kinematic energy quite fast. In my opinion, since both India and Pakistan are right next to each other the kill zone would be around 30-40km. Its essential that Pakistani pilots still continue to train and maintain their excellence in WVR arena, our PG's and F16's are deadly in WVR and impossible to beat. I fear that with the introduction of BVR planes in our inventory, our pilots might loose their skills when it comes to the WVR arena.

I have been quoted the range of SD10B in excess of 100km, and i believe the PAF's contingent at China also revealed the same range. What i love about this missile is its ability to go both active or passive, its certinely going to make the JF17 even more lethal. Its only logical to assume at the pace China is progressing in every field, they are producing missiles as good as Russia and in future they will outclass every country except the United States.

Range doesn't always increase in newer versions.

I agree that not every version will bring an increase in range. Some versions will just improve the sensor, or fuse or warhead, or anti-jamming cababilities. Consider that PL-5B and C both have a maximum of 16km. PL-5E and PL-5EII both have a maximum of 18km although the EII version has an improved sensor over the E.

I also believe the PL-12 and SD-10 difference is more on the sensors and communications instead of the range or warhead.

Whats this crazy fetish with range; the seeker, electronics, PK and manuverability/agility of the missile are far more important especially in our case. No pilot in his right mind will fire his missile at the maximum range, an opposing well trained pilot would easily defeat incoming missiles fired at maximum range since missiles loose kinematic energy quite fast. In my opinion, since both India and Pakistan are right next to each other the kill zone would be around 30-40km. Its essential that Pakistani pilots still continue to train and maintain their excellence in WVR arena, our PG's and F16's are deadly in WVR and impossible to beat. I fear that with the introduction of BVR planes in our inventory, our pilots might loose their skills when it comes to the WVR arena.

I have been quoted the range of SD10B in excess of 100km, and i believe the PAF's contingent at China also revealed the same range. What i love about this missile is its ability to go both active or passive, its certinely going to make the JF17 even more lethal. Its only logical to assume at the pace China is progressing in every field, they are producing missiles as good as Russia and in future they will outclass every country except the United States.

I agree that there are other characteristics of a missile just as important as the range. It is ok to debate/try and verify to the best of what is available the range.

Tactically I believe it might not be that stupid to fire a missile at maximum range. Lets say Blue and Red are clossing in, both have 4 MRAAMs. Blue can fire at a maximum of 100km with a very low hit probability if Red take evassive actions. Red can only fire at 70km. If Blue fires one missile as close as possible to 70km, Red will be forced to maneuver to avoid the missile and stop trying to lock on Blue. As soon as the missile misses or as soon as Blue's sensors tell him that Red is trying to lock again, Blue fires again - this time the range is closer to 60km and not 70km. Blue could force Red to "keep his head down" until his is less than 50km away with would be the NEZ, then then fire the killer shot.

Yes you have wasted missiles but I understand the Soviets fired two shots at a time anyway.

well what difference it makes for PAF we have both in use but thing which comes in mind can those SD 10 be used with american made F 16

SD-10 & PL9 SAM versions were also under development in 2009

LS-II-ADS-TEL-1-Zhenguan-Studio-2S.jpg

LS-II-ADS-TEL-1-Zhenguan-Studio-3S.jpg

LS-II-ADS-TEL-1-Zhenguan-Studio-1S.jpg

well what difference it makes for PAF we have both in use but thing which comes in mind can those SD 10 be used with american made F 16

Anything can be done if you have the time, money and expertise ... ... if it is worth it and there is the desire.

Re-wiring a system to work as it was never intended to happens. I believe the Grifo radars in the PAF fire both Sidewinders and PL-Series missiles. The equivalent Chinese radar can work with Sidewinders too. Radar guided missiles will be more complex but it will not be impossible.

The Lie Shou “Hunter” II Air Defense System or “LS-II ADS” was displayed publicly at the Zhuhai 2008 exhibition. It is a Chinese analogue to the US MIM-120/MPQ-64 Sentinel “SLAMRAAM” point defence system, but with the important distinction in a mixed missile armament, comprising two SD-10/PL-12 and two PL-9C. The SD-10/PL-12 is an analogue of the AIM-120 AMRAAM, but with better range performance, and equipped with the Russian designed Agat 9B-1103M active radar seeker. The PL-9C is an analogue of the AIM-9H/L Sidewinder. The LS II is therefore a defacto hybrid of the Chapparel and SLAMRAAM concepts, but with a self propelled engagement/acquisition radar rather than the towed MPQ-64 radar used with the SLAMRAAM.

Source:- Australian Air Power

SD-10 & PL9 SAM versions were also under development in 2009

They are already being marketed - some I would think a version or two is past development: China National Aero-Technology Import & Export Corporation - Air-to-Air Missile

PL-9C Multi-purpose Misslie

... ... ....
An improved 3rd generation multi-purpose IR missile;
Good head-on detection capability;
Anti-jamming capability;
Multi-element detection and digital signal prossesing (DSP);
Used in dogfight, land-based/ship-based air defense system

Back
Top Bottom