What's new

SCMP: Is China doubling down on assimilation of its ethnic minorities?

America actively tries to assimilate minorities, somehow that’s a good thing. But when it’s in China is bad? I guess residential schools isn’t cultural genocide, it’s just cultural daycare for native kids.

Well, Vietnamese is much pleasing to the ears for me than Mandarin.
Mandarin is obviously too influenced by khitdan and Mongolian dialect with all the zh, zh and the kinda hoarse pronounciation.
Vietnamese sounds horrible, I’m sorry but it’s true. It sounds like if a Cantonese was drowning and trying to speak at the same time.

America actively tries to assimilate minorities, somehow that’s a good thing. But when it’s in China is bad? I guess residential schools isn’t cultural genocide, it’s just cultural daycare for native kids.

Vietnamese sounds horrible, I’m sorry but it’s true. It sounds like if a Cantonese was drowning and trying to speak at the same time.
Well, I guess beauty is really in the ears of the beholder.

It is true that the north of Vietnam has Chinese ancestry. It was originally a local regime in China, but now the Vietnamese are a mixed product. The north of Vietnam is also a branch of the Chinese people. After the split from China, for the next 1,000 years the vietnamese Chinese continued to invade south。The Vietnamese, who annexed the Malay Mekong Delta of Chompa and Kampuchea, now have little to do with the Chinese, and there is no linguistic connection between Vietnamese and the Chinese dialect of Cantonese, but another language system, Chinese belongs to Sino-tibeto-burman family, and has the same grammatical structure as Burmese and Tibetan, while Vietnamese has a completely different grammatical structure than Sino-tibeto-burman family
North Vietnam was Chinese, what are you taking? Chinese invaders was effectively kicked out of Northern Vietnam 1100 years ago. In the last 1000 years, every time China made any incursion into Vietnam territory, they were either defeated or assimilated into our society. Southern Vietnam nowadays are full of Chinese-ethnic who can not speak Chinese anymore.

North Vietnam was Chinese, what are you taking? Chinese invaders was effectively kicked out of Northern Vietnam 1100 years ago. In the last 1000 years, every time China made any incursion into Vietnam territory, they were either defeated or assimilated into our society. Southern Vietnam nowadays are full of Chinese-ethnic who can not speak Chinese anymore.

Nguyen is aboriginal. Most smaller surname have Chinese forefathers.

SCMP is really a subversive and firebrand newspaper. I have always argued SCMP should be purged.

• Fewer cadres with ethnic minority backgrounds made it on to the Communist Party’s new Central Committee, marking a 10-year low
  • New head of influential party department stressed importance of learning Mandarin when in charge of Inner Mongolia

The appointment of ethnic minority officials and those charged with minority policies since the Communist Party’s five-yearly national congress in October suggest Beijing is doubling down on efforts to assimilate the diverse groups into one common Chinese identity, experts say. Those appointments saw the representation of ethnic minority officials on the party’s Central Committee hit a 10-year low, which experts said suggested ethnic diversity was not a priority for President Xi Jinping. They also saw a new member of its 24-strong Politburo, 66-year-old Shi Taifeng, become head of the party’s United Front Work Department (UFWD), which plays a central role in its ethnic minority policies. His appointment gives the department its highest rank in the party system for decades.

“Under Xi’s leadership, the party isn’t trying to eliminate ethnic minorities and reward Han people,” said Aaron Glasserman, a researcher with Princeton University’s Centre on Contemporary China.

“It’s trying to eliminate distinctions between them and foster what it believes will be a politically useful and unified national identity.

“It is essentially encouraging [ethnic minorities] to speak Mandarin, embrace a shared Chinese national identity, and above all, support Xi and his regime.”
Glasserman said China’s ethnic policies had previously been known for respecting ethnic customs, languages and identities, but the “rapid rewriting of the rules may alienate people who have long supported the regime”.

China has 55 non-Han ethnic minorities whose 125 million members make up nearly 9 per cent of the country’s population – and 7 million of them are party members. The number of ethnic minority cadres among the 205 full members of the new Central Committee, whose line-up was revealed at the congress, fell to nine – or 4.39 per cent – compared to 17 out of 204 – or 8.33 per cent – on the previous committee.

Susan McCarthy, a professor of political science at Providence College in the United States, said this demonstrated Xi’s preference for breaking intraparty norms.
“Maintaining a certain proportion of minorities is one more unwritten norm that Xi does not feel compelled to observe,” she said.

Bater, 67, a Mongolian cadre and vice-chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, Beijing’s top political advisory body, was appointed to the party’s Central Committee for a third term. Many members of the Mongolian ethnic minority use only one name. Shen Yiqin, 63, the former party chief of Guizhou province and member of the Bai ethnic minority, and Kazakh cadre Nurlan Abilmazhinuly, 59, chairman of the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region’s political consultative conference, were appointed for second terms.

Two newcomers were 58-year-old Ren Zhenhe, a Tujia ethnic minority cadre who is governor of Gansu province, and Zhang Yupu, 60, a Hui cadre who governs the Ningxia Hui autonomous region. They were promoted without previously being alternate members of the Central Committee. The other four – promoted from alternate membership – were Wang Lixia, 58, a member of the Mongolian ethnic minority and chairwoman of the Inner Mongolia autonomous region; Lan Tianli, 60, a Zhuang official who oversees the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region; Tibetan official Yan Jinhai, also 60, who governs the Tibet autonomous region; and 61-year-old Uygur Erkin Tuniyaz, the regional chief of Xinjiang.

In the past two years, two Han cadres have been appointed to head the National Ethnic Affairs Commission, a role traditionally held by minority cadres. Chen Xiaojiang replaced Mongolian cadre Bagtaur in 2020 as the commission’s party secretary. Chen was himself replaced by another Han cadre, Pan Yue, in June this year. Shan Wei, a senior research fellow at the National University of Singapore’s East Asian Institute, said the political significance of the UFWD had been elevated to an “unprecedentedly high” position since the party congress. Before being appointed head of the department, Shi was president of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences and widely seen as an official on the way out due to his age.

“Shi’s appointment, from a half-retired position, shows the political significance of the UFWD reaching an unprecedented high,” Shan said. “This is the first time in decades [for the country] to see a Politburo member and a secretary of the central secretariat head the UFWD.

“This indicates Xi will introduce tougher adjustments to eliminate ethnic distinctions in the coming years as well as a reduction of preferential policies.”

Shi, a close ally of Xi, is best known for doubling down on the Chinese language policy in Inner Mongolia when he was the region’s party secretary, a stance that sparked discontent and angry protests in 2020.

He did not back down but criticised local officials’ handling of the policy while reiterating the importance of Mandarin in forging a “strong sense of community for the Chinese nation” in Inner Mongolia. Beijing is funding new research centres and school curricula to “forge a common sense of Chinese national identity”, according to the National Ethnic Affairs Commission.

“We may see continued erosion of preferential policies, especially those that encourage ethnocultural identities and differences,” McCarthy said. “[Certain] preferential policies may persist if they are believed to foster cultural assimilation.”

Xi wants to strengthen national unity and foster a sense of the Chinese nation, according to Hongyi Lai, an associate professor at Nottingham University’s School of Politics and International Relations.

“The current policy will encourage minorities to regard themselves less of an ethnic group but more of a member of the new Chinese nation and a Chinese citizen,” he said.

“This seems to reflect Xi and his advisers’ reading of the creation of ‘an American citizen’ in the United States, where a sense of American identity is instilled among various ethnic and racial backgrounds.”

View attachment 905155

Just open a party branch within the SCMP headquarters, with the party secretary appointing the editors, problem is solved.

Didn't China solved the freedom of thinking and expression by opening up a party branch in every university department in China? Don't all the textbooks taught by the professors first go through the desk of party secretary?

Don't even private companies have a party branch deciding on critical decisions?

The party is now even trying to solve this freedom problem overseas by opening up party police stations in places like Canada, Australia, Italy, Spain and Japan.

The solution to the SCMP problem is right there. When HK is China, should be treated as China.

I wish Cantonese has been chosen as the official language.
Due to our promixity with Guangzhou/Canton, Mandarin will always sound weird to me compared to Cantonese.
I'm in the extreme opposite to you. As I feel Cantonese is weird in my ear. Whenever I watch Hongkong / Chinese drama, I feel that Mandarin is easier to hear, compared to Cantonese and other Chinese dialectic.

Disclaimer, both languages are not even my own native languages. Maybe because we, Indonesian is more familier with Hokkien dialectic. And as a Chinese descendant, our parents and other older Chinese Indonesian usually speak with either Hokkien or Mandarin. I even feel that Hakka dialectic sound like an Alien language, although I, myself is a Hakka.

I'm in the extreme opposite to you. As I feel Cantonese is weird in my ear. Whenever I watch Hongkong / Chinese drama, I feel that Mandarin is easier to hear, compared to Cantonese and other Chinese dialectic.

Disclaimer, both languages are not even my own native languages. Maybe because we, Indonesian is more familier with Hokkien dialectic. And as a Chinese descendant, our parents and other older Chinese Indonesian usually speak with either Hokkien or Mandarin. I even feel that Hakka dialectic sound like an Alien language, although I, myself is a Hakka.
That's definitely weird since Indo, Thai and Malay usually would be exposed to Cantonese first due to the Canto-pop wave.
Maybe the newer generation is now pro-Mandarin because Mandarin pop is getting head way.

That's definitely weird since Indo, Thai and Malay usually would be exposed to Cantonese first due to the Canto-pop wave.
Maybe the newer generation is now pro-Mandarin because Mandarin pop is getting head way.
Both Vietnamese and Cantonese sound weird. Go ask any people who don't speak Mandarin or Vietnamese or Cantonese. I believe most of them would admit Mandarin is beautiful while the other two are not.

It is very clear the Chinese accent in this video is Cantonese.

Assimilation is a must to have a stable and strong nation, otherwise you are divided and fractured, creates social tensions.

Diversity is not a strength like the west claims. And yes, the west constantly pushes for assimilation and even complains if groups refuse to do so.

In my opinion a certain degree of assimilation is a must at the very least so you are compatible and can integrate with the wider society.

Both Vietnamese and Cantonese sound weird. Go ask any people who don't speak Mandarin or Vietnamese or Cantonese. I believe most of them would admit Mandarin is beautiful while the other two are not.

Mandrain as the name implies is the official language of China, spoken best by Mandrains or gov officials since Ming and Qing dynasties for many centuries. Other dialects just dont have that degree of sophistication, eloquence, richness, soundness and grandness. I personally also like Suzhou dialect that is soft spoken and pleasing esp when performed in 苏州评弹, but I dont think it has what takes to be China's national language. Cantonese singing in Cantonese opera is fine too.

"Mandarin (traditional Chinese: 官話; simplified Chinese: 官话; pinyin: Guānhuà; lit. 'official speech') was the common spoken language of administration of the Chinese empire during the Ming and Qing dynasties."

Last edited:
It is true that the north of Vietnam has Chinese ancestry. It was originally a local regime in China, but now the Vietnamese are a mixed product. The north of Vietnam is also a branch of the Chinese people. After the split from China, for the next 1,000 years the vietnamese Chinese continued to invade south。The Vietnamese, who annexed the Malay Mekong Delta of Chompa and Kampuchea, now have little to do with the Chinese, and there is no linguistic connection between Vietnamese and the Chinese dialect of Cantonese, but another language system, Chinese belongs to Sino-tibeto-burman family, and has the same grammatical structure as Burmese and Tibetan, while Vietnamese has a completely different grammatical structure than Sino-tibeto-burman family
Talking of languages, I have a question. When writing research papers etc., what language is usually used in China? For example, say, writing a paper on Quantum Mechanics or Astrophysics or Cosmology? Sometimes I see Research papers by Chinese authors in English but do not know if they are original or translated.

Mandrain as the name implies is the official language of China, spoken best by Mandrains or gov officials since Ming and Qing dynasties for many centuries. Other dialects just dont have that degree of sophistication, richness, soundness and grandness. I personally also like Suzhou dialect that is soft spoken and pleasing esp when performed in 苏州评弹, but I dont think it has what takes to be China's national language. Cantonese singing in Cantonese opera is fine too.

"Mandarin (traditional Chinese: 官話; simplified Chinese: 官话; pinyin: Guānhuà; lit. 'official speech') was the common spoken language of administration of the Chinese empire during the Ming and Qing dynasties."
Suzhou dalect is too feminine

Cantonese was the language of the Canto-pop and HK movies which were the hit all over Asia, and the world. Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee and Jet Li hit movies were all in cantonese, if they really sound weird, the world would not accept it.

To this day, I think Mandarin version of some of the classic HK songs still cannot be compared to the original.
Like the Shanghai Bund song:
Cantonese version:
Mandarin version:

Mandarin really has so much sh, zh, and sounds really hoarse, like a horse hissing.

Suzhou dalect is too feminine
Exactly, too feminine to be official and national language. But, its also pleasing to listen. Cantonese is not really an eloquent and sophisticated language. Foreign people who are ignorant of Chinese languages and cultures should stop from commenting and bashing on Mandrain for other purposes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom