What's new

Saudia Arabia - before the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AZADPAKISTAN2009 I resent the thought that my poor brothers who work in KSA are pushed around by these people all because of accident of nature. I might just be able to rationalize this if KSA success was mediated on their intellectual or entreprenurial abilities but we know they have zilch. It was simple case of nature's lottery. Yesterdays beggars become today's billionaires. However I want Pakistani's to see this and never let all that dazzle ever cow them. Never.

Quite frankly I sometimes wonder what if a more hardworking nation had discovered such a huge amount of oil. The Saudis are completely dependent on oil and frankly failed to utilize this gift from God as a means to improve themselves in other sectors. Infact they allowed the wealth to weaken them and live lavishly and with luxury without a care in the world rather than investing all that money to uplift the populace and develop the human capital to reach new heights. One of the main hindrances behind researches and self indigenous programs which relate to all forms of development is capital. Lack of capital often creates huge hindrances in researches but it wasn't an issue for the Arabs yet after 70 years you simply don't see it. Their lavishness will backfire the day oil runs out.

Quite frankly the Saudis had two lotteries. One is of course the oil but the second seldom mentioned is religious tourism which is huge. You are the spiritual center of 1.7 billion people, have the most holy site where all Muslims must visit once in a life time and can visit at other times ( umrah). Never underestimate religious tourism especially when its amongst the pillars of faith.

It also highlights that despite having oil they were not able to build an adequate military force despite the backing of western nations. Having toys is great but having indigenous toys along with a very well trained and maintained army is another. I read accounts of several of our soldiers who went to Arab countries especially their deployment in the arab-israeli war for training purposes and they were shocked at the lavish treatment. Especially considering how they have the backing of all Muslim nations. Another opportunity missed out I believe.

Anyhow its still not late. The Arab monarchy needs to understand the need of the hour and create self sufficiency and self reliance in all sectors as well as create a more diverse economy.

You pictures remind of another sign of qayamat.

" the naked Bedouin will compete in the construction of tall buildings".

See you have to give credit to their leadership , when they discovered oil they used its wealth well
Please don't be stupid. Use what you have between your ears.

Here is oil production by countries.

1 Saudi Arabia 11,730,000
g.gif

2 United States 11,110,000
g.gif

3 Russia 10,440,000
g.gif

6 Iran 3,594,000
g.gif

7 United Arab Emirates 3,213,000
g.gif

10 Kuwait 2,797,000
g.gif

12 Nigeria 2,524,000
g.gif

13 Venezuela 2,489,000
g.gif

Nigeria comes 12th and Venezuela at 13th. KSA comes at No.1 at almost produces 6 yes six times more oil and you are comparing them and bragging about free schools. Get real for Allah's sakes. Then look at population of these countries.

Nigeria > 173 million
Venezula > 31 million
KSA > 30 million.

KSA has far smaller population but produces 6 times more oil. Even a well trained monkey could not go wrong with that sort of oil money and small population.

Basically they looked like cave men's before oil. :3Time flies.....
10/10. I was thinking exactly the same but there are lot of Arab lovers here so I thought I will redact my thoughts. But yeh bang on man !

Last edited:
Kaptaan
Dubai and 5 other states minus Abu Dhabi don't have oil but still lot better and developed in comparison to many countries.
So What is you trying to convey is totally wrong.

Ok , lets think of it logically

Then:
  • Saudis Discovered oil 1943
  • Pakistan Discovered 1955, Sui Gas
They had no farms
We grow food to feed whole region and our own country men

Saudia Education level was behind Pakistan
Pakistan had Universities and Technical Centers of Excellence

Now:
  • They still have oil
  • We have ran our own gas wells dry - yet we continue to sell motor bikes and buses on gas
They farm in deserts with the water they generated from sea
We could not even build Kala Bagh dam for 30-40 years, our farming has marginally improved

Saudia now have brand new fully funded universities
Pakistani Universities still exist certainly improvements made for us as well

They want to Tap into Power of Solar power
We already have started with Solar power plants (Some advantage here)

If Saudia was blessed with Oil we were blessed with Water and Agriculture

Pakistan was always blessed with bounty we just needed to say thank you , and build the country

Last edited:
Kaptaan
Dubai and 5 other states minus Abu Dhabi don't have oil but still lot better and developed in comparison to many countries.So What is you trying to convey is totally wrong.
You know what I really hate. Fvckin lazy people who are sat next to Pc and Google is finger click away yet come out with brain farts that could easily be avoided if they varified their stupid claims. Here read this -

8. United Arab Emirates – 3.09 million oil barrels / day – The seven emirates that form the UAE are Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwain. Despite their small size, these 7 emirates combined are responsible for producing 3.32% of the total daily production of oil in the world.

Burj_Al_Arab.jpg

Ok , lets think of it logically
Are you serious. Comparing Pakistan with the largest oil exporter in the world. KSA earned over $133 billion from just oil exports. That is nearly 7 times more then all of Pakistan's entire exports yet it is 7 times smaller then Pakistan.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/worlds-top-oil-exports-country/

Are you high on this?

images

Last edited:
You know what I really hate. Fvckin lazy people who are sat next to Pc and Google is finger click away yet come out with brain farts that could easily be avoided if they varified their stupid claims. Here read this -

8. United Arab Emirates – 3.09 million oil barrels / day – The seven emirates that form the UAE are Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwain. Despite their small size, these 7 emirates combined are responsible for producing 3.32% of the total daily production of oil in the world.

Burj_Al_Arab.jpg
For your info Dubai and 5 more states minus Abu Dhabi don't have capacity to produce oil even for thier own usage only Abu Dhabi bordering KSA have large reserves of oil but Dubai buying oil from AUH on low prices and have large holding capacity but can't export this oil, only for local consumption which means zero income from oil.

Same applies to you Google and key board warriors are a mess.

I am living in UAE since my birth and know lot more than you.

My two cents :whistle:

Oil alone does not mean zilch , you still need a good leader to take you from 0 to 100

Or if you don't go directly to 100 at least incrementally 0ver 20 year pediod make modest gains
that is how you get places.

If we just say oil is the only reason for success that is partially true

Pakistan has Agriculture
Pakistan has water , rain , seasons
Live stock
Minerals
Gems
Gas
and lots more

But we lost our way some what in past (All thanks to horrible leadership:fie:)
  • When we could not build Kala Bagh Dam on time
  • When we could not construct canals to preserve water
  • When we could not complete alternative to Kala Bagh Dam
  • When Karachi the biggest Economic Hub for us , had no mayor with power
  • When our corporations started to suffer due to Brain drain (migration of skilled workers)
  • When railways / PIA / Steeles mills almost came to stand still in operation due to lack of leadership

Pakistan is blessed with weather like in California , folks just don't realize the luxury of wonderful weather we have

I can certainly say from economic stand point the Policies by Saudi Leadership were far superior to economic policies by Pakistani Leadership in 70's , 80's and 90's to present day.

Only in the last 16 years have we kicked start the economic reforms again

So why should we look at Saudi and say their success was coincidence , why not we focus on our own economy and figure out why it did not rise to its max potential

Last edited:
It was a great power when oil found in only saudia but now amercia also have.

@AZADPAKISTAN2009 I resent the thought that my poor brothers who work in KSA are pushed around by these people all because of accident of nature. I might just be able to rationalize this if KSA success was mediated on their intellectual or entreprenurial abilities but we know they have zilch. It was simple case of nature's lottery. Yesterdays beggars become today's billionaires. However I want Pakistani's to see this and never let all that dazzle ever cow them. Never.

If Pakistanis had discovered oil in the abundance that the Arabs have, who's to say they wouldn't have been worse? Heck, we are arrogant even without the oil. Just look at our country, every religio-political figure has an ego the size of a boulder. Not to mention the way we look down at anyone with a darker complexion. Gulf Arabs are a sorry lot, yes. But are we any better?

@AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Purzay Apologies. I just punched myself for having wasted my time on you both. What do they say. You can't place sense in nonsense because there is non. Self defeating exercise. So I bow out !

Anyway I hope this thread made some members reflect and think about how crazy this world is. Sometimes sand can gush money out.

Kaptaan
Dubai and 5 other states minus Abu Dhabi don't have oil but still lot better and developed in comparison to many countries.

Dubai and Sharjah have oilfields and they have invested the oil money in other sectors because they knew oil will be finish one day and they have to create alternative sources of income. I think 3 factors has contributed to their development.

1. Al Maktoum's family vision and foresight
2. Small size of the local population
3. Foreign investment especially in trade and real state sectors

As for other emirates like Ajman, Fujairah and Umm al-quwain they are not that developed as Dubai or even Sharjah.

Last edited:
If Pakistanis had discovered oil in the abundance that the Arabs have, who's to say they wouldn't have been worse? Heck, we are arrogant even without the oil. Just look at our country, every religio-political figure has an ego the size of a boulder. Not to mention the way we look down at anyone with a darker complexion. Gulf Arabs are a sorry lot, yes. But are we any better?
Yes we are better. Pump $700 billion into Pakistan every year and watch how peace and amity takes root. Poverty is mother of so much trouble. Brother will even fight brother when they ae hungry.

So who is stopping us (Our Leadership) to develop policy to make Food and milk 100 times the level it was before ?

If we made 100 Billion in revenue from food sales before , we can make may be 300 Billion from food export

In Developed countries , farm houses produce goods 365 days a year , plants are nourished day/night with light. Pakistan we only have the traditional farming seasonal farming

To my knowledge we don't have any culture of Glass farm house units for 365 days a year production concept in pakistan , we barely use technology in farming

Who stopped us from finishing Kala Bagh dam ? Would have saved water and made electricity
Why ?

Simple, "Leadership" the people in senate lacked leadership to view the larger picture.

So we can certainly conclude that yes , having resource like oil is tremendous , but at same time having vision and policy to think ahead on national term is what drives a nation forward.

PS: not to point to obvious we also have iran - pakistan gas pipeline on our border which was suppose to be completed in 2014 so why is it sitting on side uncomplete ?

Last edited:
Sudan, Somalia, Ethiopia, Iran, Syria and many others including Pakistan posses large oil reserves but only oil reserves can't guarantee progress, We must have strong leadership to progress as a nation.

Kaptaan

And could you also enlighten us on when Dubai was going bankrupt and was bailed out by someone's petrodollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom